The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

I don't know how the finale is going to top this one (or maybe 3-4 other episodes that were just as fantastic). They've set a ridiculously high bar.

I had zero expectations for this show going in having never played or even heard of the video game. I mean, they are turning a zombie video game into a TV show? That sounds fucking stupid. But holy shit it's been fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I admit my early reaction was “Oh the old white Christian guy is evil, how novel” but then…

What a great episode. I don’t even have any nits to pick. At first 20 years of cannibalism didn’t make sense, but then he said the winter was extraordinarily bad. So it was an Alive situation (plus a psychopath).

But he himself admitted he wasn’t an “old white Christian guy” until after the apocalypse.

In the before times, that psycho WAS A TEACHER.

Can’t you just imagine him as the local high school girls basketball or softball coach/history teacher? Who gets a little too amped up about the Hitler/concentration camp section of the WWII unit? And everyone gossiping about how they can’t quite pinpoint why they feel uncomfortable about his slightly inappropriate behavior towards his female students?

I bet his browser history was a horror show.
  • Hook 'Em 3

So how are the bigger zombie monster things that ripped that one dude in half created?   Is that what they are doing when they are looking like they are growing on the wall with a person in the middle?   

Without getting too spoilery, the wall infected are kind of in between, sort of hibernating. If they go too long, they die and end up like the one Joel and Tess find in the basement in episode one.

The bigguns - Bloaters - are super rare. The final evolution and only happen to people that were super huge - fat or muscular. Imagine Andre the Giant or Mark Mangino as an infected.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, naija said:

when was this game released? must have been wild to play.

the game was released in 2013. i only recently played it, because i have kids and am very picky with video game time, and it was a fucking masterpiece of storytelling plus gameplay. the only other game experience i've ever had that was so good was maybe mass effect 2. but then that went and ruined everything with the original end of mass effect 3.

but honestly, the game is so good, because you can play it on a stupid impossible level and have zombies all up in your shit everywhere, but it's really the down time in the game that makes it. ellie reading the puns, or just asking about things we just think about as normal.

it's also the space in between the words. the show captures it perfectly. it's hard to nail down, but they just got it perfectly.

also, that fucking psycho chasing you around the restaurant took me fucking forever, especially once he started ducking. 

how she kills him in the show is pretty much how you feel as a gamer.

but everything, the grooming, the hand touch, the "oh," god it's all so fucking creepy. i could barely watch it in the game, and it was even harder in the show. my wife couldn't even.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I guess I need to pause playing the game for fear of spoiling next season.

Furk

From what I could tell from the preview it will spoil the end, but the end of the game is just so fucking incredible that you are just picking which one you want to to spoil.

If the second TV season is a carbon copy of part 2....

School Ugh GIF

I don't think HBO has hit a show out of the park on the same level since season 1 of Game of Thrones or the first season of True Detective. Just every week is consistently solid. I know some didn't enjoy last week's episode but I think you saw where some that rage Elie has inside her comes from. Watching everyone she's cared about die in front of her or turn in front of her has festered inside and it finally exploded. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I don't think HBO has hit a show out of the park on the same level since season 1 of Game of Thrones or the first season of True Detective. Just every week is consistently solid. I know some didn't enjoy last week's episode but I think you saw where some that rage Elie has inside her comes from. Watching everyone she's cared about die in front of her or turn in front of her has festered inside and it finally exploded. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

agreed pretty much, but succession is awesome.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Chernobyl.

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Boardwalk Empire

The Sopranos...Leftovers... Deadwood...SFU...

and so on...

😄

i mean yeah, HBO absolutely killing it in the series (limited or otherwise) category isn't really surprising.

i am HBO's bitch lol

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I guess I need to pause playing the game for fear of spoiling next season.

Furk

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point, the the season finale of the show should match up with final chapter of the game. Season 2 on HBO, will follow the first half of TLOU Part II, which is a different game from the one you're playing.

50 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point, the the season finale of the show should match up with final chapter of the game. Season 2 on HBO, will follow the first half of TLOU Part II, which is a different game from the one you're playing.

Gotcha,  I guess I wasn't aware of how close I was to the end of the game.  

I also didn't know season2 of the show would be the second game.

Thanks for the heads up

40 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I was wondering that last night.  Wildlife would pretty abundant especially deer.  

Yea, I think they just fucking suck at hunting. Ellie goes out once for like an hour and gets a solid buck while these hoes are eating eachother smdh.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I’m preferencing this post by acknowledging I don’t know shit about fuck when it comes to deer hunting.

But they mentioned that this current winter was “way colder than expected” and that they have been sort of nomadic until settling in this current place.

Do deer migrate to warmer climates in winter if it gets abnormally cold? Maybe the deer said “fuck y’all, we going to California”?

Also, do the infected eat deer? Maybe their population has been decimated too.

Or maybe these sickos finally ran out of easily accessible long pork and never developed real hunting ability and now they’re fucked.

Aw, who cares. Fuck those cannibal fundie groomers.

So every time someone dies, they go from rationing to having full-sized meals, and no one gets a little suspicious? Must be a hell of a chef to keep people convinced it's venison.
I assume by the three bodies hanging up to drain that those "scavenger parties" to nearby towns are also looking for fresh meat, and they're not just eating their own dead?

Those guys were trying to kill Joel so they could eat him. That was a hunting party.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I could actually see the opposite, with the deer population declining as agriculture declines. 

Imagine the entire heartland becoming deer feeding land, regardless of it being actively farmed.

That could be a fun zombie movie spin-off parody:

“After the zombies were gone they thought they were safe. They never expected: The Deer Plague.”

Ok maybe not.
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Those guys were trying to kill Joel so they could eat him. That was a hunting party.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I figured. The preacher tried to pretend like they were only eating people who were already dead rather than crossing into the realm of hunting them.

But he himself admitted he wasn’t an “old white Christian guy” until after the apocalypse.

In the before times, that psycho WAS A TEACHER.

Can’t you just imagine him as the local high school girls basketball or softball coach/history teacher? Who gets a little too amped up about the Hitler/concentration camp section of the WWII unit? And everyone gossiping about how they can’t quite pinpoint why they feel uncomfortable about his slightly inappropriate behavior towards his female students?

I bet his browser history was a horror show.
Yeah that's all real life teachers need these days... another depiction as "groomers" in popular media.

I know that isn't your point (or the show's point) at all, but that line made this teacher cringe.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, naija said:

The cannibalism was spotted fairly easily. 

Went right over my head.  When the dude brought the huge tray of meat into the kitchen and she asked what it was, I thought "what the fuck do you think it is?"

Never even occurred to me.

Of course, a group of fully capable human beings elect to put a psychopath in charge.  Wouldn't be so depressing if there weren't so many real world examples.  I just finished watching the Vow II, and I marvel at how willing a bunch of clearly intelligent people are to submit themselves to an obviously sociopathic con man.

Regarding Bella, I mentioned this in a previous post, but she's made a lot of us look foolish with her acting chops on display in this series.  More power to her.

• Like 1

Tell them Ellie is a little girl...WHO BROKE YOUR FUCKING FINGER!

Best episode yet! Loved this part of the game and the fire/stalking sequence was so well done. I think my game Eliie hacked on David when I finally beat him as much as TV Ellie. Hated that fucker so much.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Regarding Bella, I mentioned this in a previous post, but she's made a lot of us look foolish with her acting chops on display in this series.  More power to her.

Who said she couldn't act? Being a good actress doesn't make her look any less like a potato. 

Maggie Gyllenhaal is a good actress. She's also fugly and unpleasant to look at. The Dark Knight would have been a better movie with a female lead that men actually find attractive.

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Who said she couldn't act? Being a good actress doesn't make her look any less like a potato. 

Maggie Gyllenhaal is a good actress. She's also fugly and unpleasant to look at. The Dark Knight would have been a better movie with a female lead that men actually find attractive.

You serious, Clark?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, naija said:

that was the giveaway

Why would anyone assume cannibalism from that? James tells Pedo Preacher they have enough game meat for 2 weeks and Pedo Preacher tells Ellie only a few people know what they're doing with the dead bodies.

They sure as hell weren't telling the mothers and kids.

9 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Where do you think she falls on the bell curve of female attractiveness?   I’m talking world population, not the subset made up of Hollywood actresses.  Your standards come from a fantasy world.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Went right over my head.  When the dude brought the huge tray of meat into the kitchen and she asked what it was, I thought "what the fuck do you think it is?"

Never even occurred to me.

Of course, a group of fully capable human beings elect to put a psychopath in charge.  Wouldn't be so depressing if there weren't so many real world examples.  I just finished watching the Vow II, and I marvel at how willing a bunch of clearly intelligent people are to submit themselves to an obviously sociopathic con man.

They weren't too far away from re-creating this....

Motel-Hell-4.jpg.7d09a2383151b8b60e11855334c528b3.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

14 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

You serious, Clark?

I wouldn't call her fugly but her titties in the deuce weren't that great. Also, Katie Holmes was a way hotter Rachel Dawes than Maggie Gyllenhaal

6 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Why would anyone assume cannibalism from that? James tells Pedo Preacher they have enough game meat for 2 weeks and Pedo Preacher tells Ellie only a few people know what they're doing with the dead bodies.

the look that passed between the Preacher and Game Joel right before he replied to her question.

48 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

They didn't tell the rest of the families in their little group, but it was pretty strongly hinted that they suspected anyway.

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

The bigguns - Bloaters - are super rare. The final evolution and only happen to people that were super huge - fat or muscular. Imagine Andre the Giant or Mark Mangino as an infected.

how does one arrive at the final evolution?  does it have to be a big person plus they require tons of steady food over a long period of time or what?