The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

14 hours ago, slorch said:

Watched Ep1 with wife tonight, at the very emphatic urging of coworker and good friend, whom I told, "I don't like zombie movies.  I hate that shit.  I watched less than 15 minutes ever of The Walking Dead. The White Walkers in GoT were fucking stupid. Etc, etc."

"Oh this is different.  You have to watch it!"

on the 2nd fucking zombie chewing on a person's head, we bailed.

Sorry.  I totally get the appeal and love it that folks enjoy the show. An escape flick can be awesome!  This one's not for Slorchy though.  If you tell someone straight up that you don't care for a certain genre, I don't get the insistence to power through it.   I want to LIKE what I am watching.

Enjoy.  I have honestly enjoyed reading the thread tonight MUCH more than I liked the show.  Can tell lots of folks are enjoying it, and that's cool!

I can't stand the zombie genre stuff either. I only made it through about 3 episodes of the Walking Dead before bailing. But this? It's a totally different animal. So good. I don't blame you for quitting on it but it's worth it to stick it out. I was very, very hesitant on this but I'm completely in.

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Poor Ellie. Throughout the episode all i could think about was how she had previously told Joel that everyone she has ever cared about has died or left. She obviously loved Riley. We all knew what was in store. And it still was a gut punch....

At this point, I'm just assuming any new character that they introduce and have any sort of emotional connection with is going to have a tragic death by the end of the episode. As soon as they got into the mall, you knew that Riley was toast.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Probably my least favorite episode but it still makes it over a high bar. It was just all very predictable. I was glad that they didn’t leave us wondering about Joel. 

Agreed. It was definitely my least favorite episode of the series so far. I thought the mall scenes dragged on way too long and I wanted them to get back to Joel bleeding out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:
  Hide contents

My guess is Ellie uses the gun to kill her friend after Riley’s mind is gone, and she’s found by the Fireflies who were going to ship Riley to Atlanta- thus the chains and locking Ellie up to see if she ever gets infected 

A couple of episodes ago didn’t Ellie tell Joel that she had killed someone?  I can’t remember for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s way more of an apocalypse survival show vs zombies. If you don’t like apocalypse stuff whether it’s nuclear, alien, virus or zombie fungus then it’s probably not for you.

I would have rather had less big night out with Riley and more Jackson scenes, and more scenes after Riley and Ellie got bit to wrap that up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think I'm ok with them not showing how the Riley and Ellie story wraps up. I'm not sure I could have taken seeing them play out what happened to Riley and Ellie after the bite, my feels were pretty much spent without that. I imagine it was something a la Henry and Sam but a lot slower.

Agree with what others are saying - this isn't really a show about zombies, zombies just happen to be in it. I hate zombies and anything horror-esque in general and I'm enjoying this. Granted, I do blur my eyes during the scary shit.

I think I'm ok with them not showing how the Riley and Ellie story wraps up. I'm not sure I could have taken seeing them play out what happened to Riley and Ellie after the bite, my feels were pretty much spent without that. I imagine it was something a la Henry and Sam but a lot slower.
Agree with what others are saying - this isn't really a show about zombies, zombies just happen to be in it. I hate zombies and anything horror-esque in general and I'm enjoying this. Granted, I do blur my eyes during the scary shit.

Yeah, in an earlier episode Ellie said she’s killed someone. I think this episode makes it clear who that was. No reason to beat us over the head with it.

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

Thank you for posting. 

Can you start a thread of other things you don't care for as well?

Want to name it after you?

Yeah, I knew there'd be a shitheel like yourself to make the comment, but whatever...  Other "normal" people answered my post to the tune of "It is about as much about zombies as Tedd Lasso is about soccer."  and yeah, I'm probably gonna give it another shot.  Enjoy the fungi brain for yourself..

Edited by slorch

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Wife played the game and said the dancing scene was spot on minus the masks so had to look into it. Almost word for word.

It was a beautifully written game. Writers of the show had so much to work with and so little they needed to change in most parts

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

I owe Bella Ramsey an apology.

I did not expect to like her in this role but she's been outstanding.

I was probably a little biased because despite how much I loved her as Lady Mormont, I hated her as Lady Jane Grey in Becoming Elizabeth.

Very talented young lady.

That whole episode was a crazy good piece of acting from her. She's been KIND of one note so far but I think that's just because we didn't know anything about her backstory (we being non-game players like me).

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, slorch said:

Yeah, I knew there'd be a shitheel like yourself to make the comment, but whatever...  Other "normal" people answered my post to the tune of "It is about as much about zombies as Tedd Lasso is about soccer."  and yeah, I'm probably gonna give it another shot.  Enjoy the fungi brain for yourself..

Slorch’d!

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, slorch said:

No I really want to read the thread. 

I bought the game a few weeks ago and am right about the same spot in the show.  I'm afraid to play anymore, I don't want to get ahead of the show.

I'm at the point where Joel falls of the horse and it cuts to winter and I kill a buck.

So maybe the mall scene etc is a little out of order...the preview for next week looks like where I'm at.

21 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I bought the game a few weeks ago and am right about the same spot in the show.  I'm afraid to play anymore, I don't want to get ahead of the show.

I'm at the point where Joel falls of the horse and it cuts to winter and I kill a buck.

So maybe the mall scene etc is a little out of order...the preview for next week looks like where I'm at.

The mall part is DLC, not part of the main story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Same exact spot and I decided to wait for the show to progress before playing any farther.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

For those playing the game and holding off for spoilers: This is a very difficult part of the game. The previews tell me they are sticking to the story line in the upcoming episode.

I'd wait for one of us gamerfags to watch it then let you know if you should play through before watching the show.

Spoilering just in case

Spoiler

This.   The show is following very closely to the timeline of the game. The game is fairly backloaded in action and while it would take a shit ton longer than 2 hours to play what is left because as MIA says,  it is hard as shit,  we are definitely in the final act of the game. 

I preface this with I have never played the game   But I find it interesting that they’ve made clear that Ellie never knew   her parents   She was born, what; 5 or 6 years into the apocalypse?  Might she be some kid of test tube baby experiment to defeat the infection?   I think I’d find that quite stupid but they have also avoided her real origin story.  

Hopefully it’s not as deux ex machina as that   One  thing The Walking Dead did get right is totally avoiding the “why” part   Hopefully this show does the same   

8 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

8 hours ago, hornian said:

The mall part is DLC, not part of the main story. 

come on dude, it's obviously dlc.

what the fuck is dlc?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just want to say I appreciate all the spoiler tags. Anything that has aired is fair game, but since there is source material, caution is warranted.

Seconded. Was thinking the same when stumbled upon your post.

37 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am guessing that snowflake that had to fast forward through fag stuff just skipped this entire episode because of catching the gays. But maybe not, lesbians are acceptable.

Depends on if they're climbing trees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

come on dude, it's obviously dlc.

what the fuck is dlc?

It's like an extra chapter that was released after the main game. You purchase and download. In this case, it was a short, standalone addition that was Ellie and Riley in the mall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Saw this ad today.  No fucking thank you.  

199E78A6-CA85-4815-B578-DD836D78BC37.thumb.jpeg.cf060b0489c1577a78c0164ae8e6a99f.jpeg

It’s getting mainstream so half of them are internet trash, but I add a mushroom powder to smoothies and blended coffee sometimes and have liked the effect. Probably placebo.