The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

29 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So, I realize that a zombie show based on a video game isn't exactly something that you want to nitpick reality with, but:

Just where exactly are we pretending that the infected hoard emerged from in a residential neighborhood underneath a house? 

they were under the house.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

So, I realize that a zombie show based on a video game isn't exactly something that you want to nitpick reality with, but:

Just where exactly are we pretending that the infected hoard emerged from in a residential neighborhood underneath a house? 

All the infected were trapped in tunnels under the city

When Perry takes Kathleen into the boiler room of one of the buildings, the ground is moving up and down as if the infected are trying to burrow their way up to the surface. She tells him to seal off the building.So I guess the infected moved towards the sound of the gun fire and found an easier way to the surface. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

You don't know about the St. Louis caves?

Old caves were often filled with rubble from the demolished buildings above them. Therefore, there may be many homes and houses currently built above entrances to the old system of caves which have since been filled in with rubble. The Lemp caves or Cherokee caves still exist. The original cave was around 24,000 feet walkable. After the construction of Interstate 55 there were about 22,000 feet of the cave remaining, but not open to the public.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

When Perry takes Kathleen into the boiler room of one of the buildings, the ground is moving up and down as if the infected are trying to burrow their way up to the surface. She tells him to seal off the building.So I guess the infected moved towards the sound of the gun fire and found an easier way to the surface. 

I forgot about that brief scene.  good call.

On 2/13/2023 at 1:08 PM, futureman said:

how do you kill them in the game?  in the show the guy was filling that thing full of bullets. 

it's pretty much an all or nothing moment whenever one of those shows up. you scrounge around and stab people and runners in the neck so you can save every scrap you find and then throw everything you've got at a bloater.

afterwards, time to scrounge around for all the craft shit again.

On 2/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

The take the sniper out then become the sniper scene reminded me of GTA.  Imagine that is probably straight out of the game, no?

I thought more about it....and I think Joel could have done a better job of overwatch for Henry/Sam.  I get he is more familiar with and responsible for the girl, but she won't get infected.  So protect the boys hiding under the car.  Great shooting, but deaf kid probably needed more help.  She did do a good job acting now that she had another kid around..but not anymore!.

28 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

I thought more about it....and I think Joel could have done a better job of overwatch for Henry/Sam.  I get he is more familiar with and responsible for the girl, but she won't get infected.  So protect the boys hiding under the car.  Great shooting, but deaf kid probably needed more help.  She did do a good job acting now that she had another kid around..but not anymore!.

She’s immune from getting infected, not from getting ripped to shreds or torn in half like what was happening to people in that melee. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I seriously wonder if ants can think/reason in a way that's similar to our conscious reasoning, or if it's all programming and they're not sentient at all, which of course begs the question how sentient is energy/matter that's programming them, and all life, I suppose.

I watched a video (and at this point I can't recall if it's on this thread or another board) and it showed an ant getting infected by the cordyceps fungus.  Another ant drops what he's doing--seems like they're on some job or other 24/7--picks up the infected ant in his pinchers, carries his ass waayyyy the hell away from the mound, and then dumps him there so that he can't infect the collective.   "Sorry, Doug, but can't have you spreadin' that shit around.  Nice knowing ya."

Which reminded me of another video I saw where an ant colony herds these huge caterpillars around--they take them out of the colony and up to the surface to munch on whatever they need, and then herd them back--because they need something the caterpillar secretes.  Near the end of the caterpillar's cycle, they don't kill them, they march 'em off to a tree somewhere so they can build a cocoon and become a moth/butterfly/whatever. I suppose so that they can create more future caterpillars.

Easy to go down a rabbit hole learning about ants.

Sorry for derail.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, sidis said:
  Hide contents

never played the game but up to date on the show.  so i was just watching the whole last ten minutes of that thinking to myself...they are going to shoot this lovable deaf kid in the head aren't they?

god damnit.

One of the things that made the game so great was the emotional investment it pulled out of you.

The show is following that formula very well.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

One of the things that made the game so great was the emotional investment it pulled out of you.

The show is following that formula very well.

yeah, it's one of the defining characteristics of the game and part of what made it iconic.

we can joke about clickers or hunters or whatever, but you want to joke about henry and sam, and we might have to have a sit down.

that's what made the game so fucking great. it was the space in between the zombie rush/hunter killing that really hooked you. gameplay is pretty average. scarcity was a fun challenge, as was collecting the comics, etc. 

but i wasn't in it for the next bloater/gun upgrade or my typical ocd gamer collecting self that end out making the games not as much fun.

i was in this one to fucking win it and see all the story, because that was the value. 

i don't know how they've managed to do such a good job on the show so far, but i don't want to jinx anything.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

it's pretty much an all or nothing moment whenever one of those shows up. you scrounge around and stab people and runners in the neck so you can save every scrap you find and then throw everything you've got at a bloater.

afterwards, time to scrounge around for all the craft shit again.

I started a play through of TLOU2 a few weeks back. Changed the settings to infinite ammo and infinite crafting. Totally different game. Just strolling into infested rooms without a worry in the world. 

On 1/17/2023 at 12:54 PM, Buzzrock said:

It’s awesome to see Anna Torv back since they won’t give us any more fucking episodes of Mindhunter.

just started this tonight, reading thread from page one...

Anna was reminding me so much of Carrie Coons! but i couldn't place her...yes! Mindhunter... that show was awesome, def disappointed they just abruptly ended it.

enjoyed first couple of eps. 'Interstate 183' to Austin was lol. i'll catch up on this thread in the next week!

Switch blade time...melee.  Sorry I'm just still mad they killed off both Henry/Sam.

I think that’s the beauty of the story, we care about the characters, even the ones that are only there briefly. Great writing to be able to trigger that emotional response.

Compare that to TWD where they created stupid characters and then threatened imminent death to Rick and Coral so many times that we all just wanted them to die and end our misery as viewers.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I think that’s the beauty of the story, we care about the characters, even the ones that are only there briefly. Great writing to be able to trigger that emotional response.

Compare that to TWD where they created stupid characters and then threatened imminent death to Rick and Coral so many times that we all just wanted them to die and end our misery as viewers.

yeah, there's a very real peril. twd fell down when the characters (really, the actors) became bigger than the story.

@naija said this:

The monsters live in service of the human story and the show is better for it.

that's exactly the difference between the walking dead and the last of us.

the walking dead became a zombie show.

this is a character story with zombies.

big difference.

• Like 2

caught up on episodes and thread.

On 2/17/2023 at 12:14 PM, futureman said:

this has been covered.  it’s a show about people; the zombies are ancillary. 

ok. dick. 

so am i understanding what y'all are saying... every episode or two we're going to meet some compelling new characters with an engaging backstory that we will get emotionally invested in only for them to die by the end of the ep?

oh yay! lol

excited-cant-wait.gif

also glad y'all used the term 'bloater' so i had something to google bc i was all 'WTF IS THAT!' haha. first time it's felt like a video game. 

Edited by mchookem

29 minutes ago, mchookem said:

so am i understanding what y'all are saying... every episode or two we're going to meet some compelling new characters with an engaging backstory that we will get emotionally invested in only for them to die by the end of the ep?

oh yay! lol

Think of new characters as red shirts on Star Trek.