College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

9 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

Oh man, getting those big Q-Tips shoved up your nose every day has gotta suck!

No doubt. Just got my first test today because I was going to take care of my ailing 80-something parents for the week. That Q-tip teaching back to the back of your brain is no joke. 
Pro tip: ask for the antibody test also when you get a test done. It’s one piece of information about whether you might have had it already. Not foolproof, and not a guarantee of immunity if you do have antibodies, but good to know. You have to ask for it, though. 

32 minutes ago, nnm said:Pro tip: ask for the antibody test also when you get a test done. It’s one piece of information about whether you might have had it already. Not foolproof, and not a guarantee of immunity if you do have antibodies, but good to know. You have to ask for it, though. 

I asked for the antibody test and he said, “What’s the point?” After making his case, I agreed.

Edited by JohnnyRage

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

So a bunch of low-risk students are infecting each other on campus...lets send them all home to infect their families. Great fucking plan.

It probably increases the chances of having a football season this fall, as "regular students" have no incentive to obay mask mandates, players do...
On another note, B1G could be in this situation as the school presidents look to side step the unionization within the region (same as PAC players)...

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

That’s rich coming from the guy who went on a cousin Eddie road trip across the states and fucked your wife in a Walmart parking lot. You every now and then have a good take, but you aren’t anywhere near we smart or funny as you think you are. Looking forward to you enlightening us with basketball knowledge that didn’t even exist until Wulaw finishes the formula in his study. Fuck off

Start fucking men with smaller dicks.   Once your pain level subsides, maybe you'll quit being such a despicable ass.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah - I meant 91 cotton bowl after 1990 season. If we’d have won 46-3 the other way we might have had an outside chance at a national title as I remember it, right? 

Yep, we were #3 in the country entering that game. We needed to win (lol), have Ga Tech lose to Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl, and have Norte Dame beat Colorado that night...

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

You mean 1990 above but the point remains....and the point of the boot Miami shoved up our ass that day still remains in the upper reaches of my colon. Shitty weather and an absolute “I been thinkin about the shit you pulled for all 13 years I was in prison and now it’s time to pay, bitch” fucking beatdown that day. 46-3 or whatever the fucking score was doesn’t come close to describing what an ass whipping that was, from literally the opening kick. A completely shitty ending to an otherwise awesome, incredibly fun season....

I attended that game.  Cold as fuck.  Just a stark reminder where we were as a program.  ‘Humbling’  is appropriate 

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

You mean 1990 above but the point remains....and the point of the boot Miami shoved up our ass that day still remains in the upper reaches of my colon. Shitty weather and an absolute “I been thinkin about the shit you pulled for all 13 years I was in prison and now it’s time to pay, bitch” fucking beatdown that day. 46-3 or whatever the fucking score was doesn’t come close to describing what an ass whipping that was, from literally the opening kick. A completely shitty ending to an otherwise awesome, incredibly fun season....

Yeah, I was at that game. The best thing about the game was the sickly sweet warmth in the men’s room that would give you a break from the cold. The warmth and smell of course coming from all the piss in the floor troughs. That’s how bad of a day it was, that looking forward to getting to take a leak and warm up was the highlight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

No, no. Let's remember that Texas was always the bad guy and Nebraska was the good guy who didn't want any exceptions to continue just for them. At least Mizzou and Colorado knew their place and are just happy to get a seat at the table. Nebraska thinks they invented the table. 

Colorado were the only ones who moved gracefully.  IIRC there was a weekend when all options were on the table and Baylor all of a sudden appeared to be taking Colorado's spot in a move west, so they jumped almost overnight.

Mizzou parroted the Big Evil Texas line corn and aggy were pushing.  In arrears they blamed the LHN (which happened after all the moves) because corn took their b1g spot.  Not aggy or corn level bitchassedness, but still a little bitchy.

11 minutes ago, jinx said:

I think I have taken part in more derails than actual topic discussion in this thread.  

The thread derails itself. I posted a gif of the explosion as a joke in poor taste and no less than 15 people commented about where they were and how they found out about it. 

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

The thread derails itself. I posted a gif of the explosion as a joke in poor taste and no less than 15 people commented about where they were and how they found out about it. 

And then because this is Surly someone told them they were wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Fletch said:

Sweet. Check out for a few days and I see the usual cocksuckers want student athletes to die for money and entertainment. I love the human spirit 

Justin Fields is a cocksucker?

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/16/justin-fields-petition-reinstate-big-ten-football-ohio-state-2020/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pretty sure I was the first one on that one.

doesthatmakeusbestfriends?.GIF

Hey, time to call your media provider for a sports subscription discount..?

The situation may be compounded by overall cord cutting (for BTN & PACN):

Big Ten Network releases heartbreaking video lamenting the fall football Saturdays...

www.saturdaydownsouth.com › SEC Football
Aug 11, 2020 - Big Ten Network releases heartbreaking video lamenting the loss of fall football Saturdays. Adam Spencer | 7 days ago. Every year during the ...
-
Comcast Lost 477,000 Cable-TV Customers In Q2 Amid 12% Drop In Revenus...
techcitytoday.com › comcast-lost-477000-cable-tv-cust...
Comcast misplaced 477000 cable-TV subscribers in Q2 2020 amid a company-wide drop in income attributable to the pandemic. The net-customer loss consists ...

Then I'd stay out of the Penn State locker room if I were you.

Imagine if the Golden State killer was a Golden State Warrior assistant coach. Then, Luke Walton witnesses him in the act, and for reasons, reports it to Steve Kerr. Steve Kerr then reports it to authorities. Why would the Golden State Killer not be arrested immediately, let alone, travel with the team and use their facilities? So fucked up on so many levels.

College and high school sports really is in an existential crisis right now, not just starting with this COVID mess. The amateur/olympic model does not fit with the money involved. And ethics and priorities of universities are skewed.
  • Like 1

Then I'd stay out of the Penn State locker room if I were you.

Imagine if the Golden State killer was a Golden State Warrior assistant coach. Then, Luke Walton witnesses him in the act, and for reasons, reports it to Steve Kerr. Steve Kerr then reports it to authorities. Why would the Golden State Killer not be arrested immediately, let alone, travel with the team and use their facilities? So fucked up on so many levels.

College and high school sports really is in an existential crisis right now, not just starting with this COVID mess. The amateur/olympic model does not fit with the money involved. And ethics and priorities of universities are skewed.

Master Plan to Save CFB Being Considered

TLDR:

1) Universities considering sending 80% of the students home and keeping football players with the 20% on campus to mitigate spread

2) Oklahoma doesn't want to play.

Faced with a rapidly approaching football season, as well as still spiking COVID-19 numbers, a plan has been proposed to reduce campus attendance, but with the football team preparing for the season in a semi-secluded environment.

According to conference sources, the plan is based on schools teaching the majority of their classes online as well as reducing the campus attendance to 20 percent of the student body.

The criticism heard previously was  football playing on campuses "without students" was a deal breaker.

According to this plan, which started with one major Power 5 conference school, but quickly picked up momentum, the football team would be folded into the 20 percent of the student body.

There is also a proposal being discussed by the ACC to limit its season to only 10 conference games, eliminating the one non-conference game for all teams.

Several schools, including Boston College (scheduled to play Ohio) have already had that gap in their schedule and chosen not to fill it.

In such an environment, athletic administrators could pretty much control their player's activities, with football and classroom activities conducted in one small area. With dining facilities available nearby, the scenario could provide some isolation from a main campus that would be largely empty.

There would still be gaps in the system if the players went off on their own, but like the NBA plan, any such move would be monitored closely, with testing done on a regular basis (perhaps daily) for any signs of the COVID-19 virus.

Schools, who felt they had the COVID-19 issue under control, could simply maintain their control over the football team with a larger portion of the student body on campus, while sequestering their players as much as possible, including online courses and frequent testing.

According to sources, such a plan is likely to begin in the ACC, but could quickly be adopted by the other conferences--SEC, Big 12, American Athletic Conference, Sunbelt and Conference USA.

Those conferences held meetings on Tuesday, considering many different factors, including medical issues and analysis of the COVID-19 pandemic which have varied widely in their projections.

To make the 20 percent plan work, schools would have to make the decision to forfeit some room and board money and make decisions on which students would be part of the group taking courses on campus, as opposed to those living off campus or at home.

It is a complicated procedure which faces a great many obstacles, but it is plan many FBS football officials believe has a chance.

"It has a chance, more than a chance,'' said one ACC coach. ""We can control a lot of it and this would make it easier.''

While that was going on on Tuesday, the Big 12 was dealing with a different issue involving Oklahoma, which reportedly is leaning against the sentiment of its brethren who want to continue with the season.

Normally this would result in a stalemate.

Not so much this time because Texas is leading a charge to continue, with or WITHOUT Oklahoma as part of the conference for football this season.

The reason such a plan may have some legs is that eliminating Oklahoma opens the conference race for the other teams, even more so if Texas stumbles.

OU's dilemma is obvious.

The Sooners could take the stance that it's too dangerous to play, but are facing an additional financial issue if they step away from football and part of the approximately $42 million Big 12 broadcast rights payout.

If the 20 percent student attendance plan is considered, it could either increase or ease Oklahoma's angst.

As has been the case through the entire process, the SEC stands rock solid with its plan to begin its season on Sept. 26th, with growing speculation being that the SEC is going to play football this season no matter what the circumstances or the number of participants.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Rattler must really fucking suck.

Seriously.  It's been clear OU is definitely luke warm if not anti playing the season in the fall.  We all know there is ZERO CHANCE they somehow are overly concerned with the virus or the athletes.  OU must think Rattler needs more time.  That's the only thing that makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 2

A few weeks ago, I posted pretty much exactly that plan laid out by SI (football on campus with other "essential" students only) and people here got quite huffy about it. Was called something like "the dumbest thing ever posted on a message board" as I recall. I don't see it happening though, there are good reasons people would be upset.

• Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Master Plan to Save CFB Being Considered

TLDR:

1) Universities considering sending 80% of the students home and keeping football players with the 20% on campus to mitigate spread

2) Oklahoma doesn't want to play.

Nothing encapsulates just how fucking upside-down our priorities are as a society than to send home all the non-athlete students from college and  keep the athletes so we can preserve 'amateur' athletic competition.

A true WTF IMO.

Jesus.

In addition, I never thought I would see the day when OU is more of the adult in the room than Texas. 

2020 has gone full retard so many times now, I've lost count.

f65716f6a28cc711a37efc8ac38d0d87&resize=

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bartles said:

A few weeks ago, I posted pretty much exactly that plan laid out by SI (football on campus with other "essential" students only) and people here got quite huffy about it. Was called something like "the dumbest thing ever posted on a message board" as I recall. I don't see it happening though, there are good reasons people would be upset.

I'm pretty sure I can come up with an extensive list just within the last ten pages of this thread that would top that.

• Fuck You 1

Penn State coach James Franklin 'frustrated' by lack of communication from Big Ten in canceling fall season

It's been just over a week since the Big Ten canceled fall football in 2020 and the airing of grievances from athletic directors, coaches, players, and even their parents hasn't stopped. The lasting fallout of the Big Ten's monumental decision out of COVID-19 concerns seems to be less about the actual decision itself and more about the lack of transparency in the process. 

The latest to voice his frustration over this is Penn State coach James Franklin. Meeting with reporters virtually, Franklin lamented the inability of the Big Ten to adequately communicate not only why it came to the decision it did -- said decision came less than a week after releasing the 2020 schedule -- but how it affects players this year and beyond. 

"I am extremely frustrated because we still have very few answers to communicate to our young men and their families about their futures and very little understand of the factors contributing to the decision," Franklin said.

Student-athlete eligibility is, and will continue to be, a major topic as some conferences and schools postpone football for the spring while others play in the fall. The NCAA council could have an answer finalized by Aug. 21. In the meantime, there are a lot of people, Franklin included, demanding to know what changed for the conference in opting out of the fall. 

"It was working ... then all [of a] sudden it changes and you weren't  a part of the conversation and you didn't understand why," Franklin said. "The amount of communication we have had before and after has been pretty good, but when the decision was actually being made, the decision caught a lot of people off guard. The decision came before everybody being on board and understanding it."

Franklin's points echo those of Big Ten admins, who just this week didn't seem clear at all about exactly how the vote went down to proceed, or not proceed, with a season. To be clear, Franklin understood the difficult decision to not play football in the fall, even calling for the decision itself to be praised, but the inability for the conference to deliver a clear, concise and unified message has been a rare fumble for one of the most powerful conferences in college athletics. 

The likelihood of the Big Ten reversing course is slim, even with all of the PR hits it has taken over the past week. Though the Big Ten has mishandled its communication, a decision of this magnitude would undergo even more scrutiny if it were to be reversed. Ultimately, the league probably didn't have to make a decision when it did, which could have left more options on the table such as a winter season, as Franklin proposed. 

Still, what's done is done and it would likely take a major medical breakthrough for the Big Ten to play football sooner rather than later. 

• Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Nothing encapsulates just how fucking upside-down our priorities are as a society than to send home all the non-athlete students from college and  keep the athletes so we can preserve 'amateur' athletic competition.

Universities are businesses now. Universities are solvent because of grant money, legislative allotments, room and board, tuition, and athletics. Athletics is a huge piece of that pie, and if they can keep that money rolling in it will more than offset the room and board they would've gotten. Especially at Texas. 

35 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Rattler must really fucking suck.

He must be rattled.

30 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

In addition, I never thought I would see the day when OU is more of the adult in the room than Texas.

That is a brain dead takeaway from this. Are you familiar at all with the University of Oklahoma?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

There is some interesting info in here on what went into the P12 thinking.  Brings up some good points, but also finishes by saying that Bruin fans should just get used to the fact that UCLA will never prioritize football over academics or other institutional missions (primarily medical where Geffen alone has donated over $450 million over the last coupe of decades).  I guess there's pride ot be found elsewhere other than the football field.  But the football field would be nice too.

“Like with the present situation with the coronavirus, you all want college sports to happen, and it’s a big priority in your lives. And in many instances, you don't want to face facts about the pandemic because it could take away that which you hold so dear. “

this is the number one thing I took away from that article. To many stupid fucking selfish people out there.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1