2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The Hispanic community as a whole has a natural conservative disposition. Huge Catholic influence, big time belief in family values, and a distrust of non-white races. The fact that the GOP doesn’t regularly carry over 50% of the Hispanic vote just shows how much their race baiting and alienation tactics have turned people off. In general, hispanics just want to blend in and be left alone. Not very politically active, not going to riot over anything, just not going to do much to draw attention usually. As a Hispanic voter I can try to give my 2 cents..

We’re not a monolith. We all come from very different backgrounds and usually mirror the political background of wherever we’re at. I feel a connection with Mexican-Americans from South Texas, since that’s my community. I don’t feel much connection with Mexican-Americans in El Paso or California or anywhere else. Or actual Mexicans from Mexico. We share little more than a heritage. There’s cultural differences, slight differences in appearance/dress usually, and even differences in language. Non-Hispanics might not notice all that but we do. And that’s just among the Mexicans. Multiply all that times Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Salvadorans, etc for even more deviation. 

There’s also a big “ladder puller” element in the community. People that literally or figuratively climbed into America with a ladder and pulled it up behind them so no one else can come or have success. Fuck you I got mine. I’m glad my family raised me better than that but many others do not feel the same.

I grew up in San Antonio as a minority white kid at my school.  I get it.

Texas-Mexicans from San Antonio south are all the things you say.  They care more about the Spurs than who is the mayor or governor.  They vote for guys that grew up in their community but not much else.  If you wanted to get them involved you need to run a guy from San Antonio or Corpus on the ticket, not a guero from El Paso with the last name O'Rourke.

You don't see many Mexican flags flown by this group, this is different than the Puerto Ricans, Hondurans, Dominicans, etc.  Mexican Americans assimilate and probably would celebrate the Alamo battle as a battle for freedom against Mexico City.

The language is also very different.  Tejanos have their own dialect and I have seen those with southern Mexico or central American accents looked down on.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yes, one thing that white Texans are going to have to learn as they become the minority is that Latinos aren't any better than they are.

If you're hoping that Latino rule would be more egalitarian you're going to be VERY disappointed. Latinos struggle with racism and ladder pulling just as much as white people if not more. Lots of Latino support for Democrats is only because they want theirs and right now they don't have it, not because they believe that everyone should be equal. 

I will say there’s some bright spots in the Texas Hispanic political landscape. Anecdotally, over the years I’ve watched my huge family go from literally 100% support of GWB (he was pretty much a god to Texas latinos) to now I might have just one or vocal Trump supporting relatives. Everyone else is pretty vocal against him actually. Both my parents, all my tias/tios and my older cousins were proud Republicans when I was a kid. It fell to about 50/50 by the 2012 election, now it’s just all democrat. Pretty much entirely because of the racist-adjacent rhetoric aimed at us from the right. I’d like to think we’re smart enough to see it for what it really is, while many Hispanics think “no they really are JUST talking about illegal immigrants”. 

From what I see, the younger Latinos right now are maybe the most politically engaged group of us to ever come through so far. A lot of them do skew dem, there’s still lots of conservatives, but mostly dem for sure. They mirror the younger demographic of the state at large imo. I mean there were BLM protests in McAllen & Harlingen over the summer. No matter how small they were, that would’ve never happened in a million years when I was growing up just 10-15 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

The “undecided” people are voting for Trump. If you are undecided at this point you are simply too stupid to do the right thing. 

“you can either be fucked in the ass or have an ice cream cone”

”hmmm. I’m undecided. What brand of lube would be used?”

Leave NowThis alone!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it does if that's referring to your internal temps

Ha. Yeah.  I wasn't even thinking about that.  Whoever said they memorized internal temps if they are using a Celcius thermometer is doing it right. That'd be a pain to convert in your head every time you looked at it wanting to know if you had a high temp.  

So, just got a text from my mom to Rasmussen reports telling me to get my $20.00 ready for her. They are absolutely convinced it's Trump in a blow out. It's like a die hard Tennessee fan saying- we are beating Bama this year- against all evidence because you want it to happen and you found one "expert" who made that prediction.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha. Yeah.  I wasn't even thinking about that.  Whoever said they memorized internal temps if they are using a Celcius thermometer is doing it right. That'd be a pain to convert in your head every time you looked at it wanting to know if you had a high temp.  

Not really. C times 9 then divided by 5 and add 32. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, just got a text from my mom to Rasmussen reports telling me to get my $20.00 ready for her. They are absolutely convinced it's Trump in a blow out. It's like a die hard Tennessee fan saying- we are beating Bama this year- against all evidence because you want it to happen and you found one "expert" who made that prediction.  

Text back, "Want to double your bet?"

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexasEd said:

i'm in a group where people were doing even money last week on presidency and the house.  it is ridiculous.  very very educated people.  can't discount the possibility they were just wanting to do it for fun regardless of the loss, tho.  

3 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I can't. I'd feel bad taking more of her money than $20.  It really is amazing though. I've got $60.00 and lunch bet around family groups and co-workers. They are all convinced I'm a rube for thinking Trump isn't going to win.  

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i'm in a group where people were doing even money last week on presidency and the house.  it is ridiculous.  very very educated people.  can't discount the possibility they were just wanting to do it for fun regardless of the loss, tho.  

House?  Oh my.  

48 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

my wife bought a thermometer in the height of the hoarding shortage, and it's fucking celcius.

she takes her temp all the time, so i've basically just memorized what a "high temp" looks like.

everything 37.2 and under is normal.

True story -- the "normal" (average) body temperature for a human who is not sick has dropped almost 1 degree F over the last 100 years.  Most people measure in the 97.6 F range.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

or "if you're wrong you have to put me as the sole beneficiary in your will"

Also, how much money do you think anyone who thinks "Trump in a blowout" has accumulated in their life? I love my folks and they are loving and great people (despite the people on here who say anyone voting for Trump must be a horrible piece of shit) but they aren't always tapped into what the most likely outcome of any particular event is.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

True story -- the "normal" (average) body temperature for a human who is not sick has dropped almost 1 degree F over the last 100 years.  Most people measure in the 97.6 F range.

Did not know that but my normal is right at 97 to the point if I'm "normal," I know I'm high.

So about that NYT poll:

They had Trump pulling 34% of the Hispanic vote. The UT-Tyler survey had Trump receiving 21% of the Hispanic vote. 

Someone can check the math but I applied the UT-Tyler percentage to the NYT sample and it flips the poll from Trump +4 to Biden +2. 

UT-Tyler also had a smaller percentage of Hispanic respondents in their sample (NYT had 26% while UT-Tyler's was 22%).

The point is we are seeing a large variation in Trump support among Hispanic respondents and nobody is getting a good handle on how to properly survey them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

is that because thermometers got more accurate or something has changed with our physiology? more fat people = lower body temp?

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

is that because thermometers got more accurate or something has changed with our physiology? more fat people = lower body temp?

I don't remember, but the story caught my attention because I'm always in the low 97 F range at the doc's.  Turns out I'm not as abnormal as I thought.

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

So about that NYT poll:

They had Trump pulling 34% of the Hispanic vote. The UT-Tyler survey had Trump receiving 21% of the Hispanic vote. 

Someone can check the math but I applied the UT-Tyler percentage to the NYT sample and it flips the poll from Trump +4 to Biden +2. 

UT-Tyler also had a smaller percentage of Hispanic respondents in their sample (NYT had 26% while UT-Tyler's was 22%).

The point is we are seeing a large variation in Trump support among Hispanic respondents and nobody is getting a good handle on how to properly survey them. 

Trump’s substantially higher support in polling among minorities this time around leads me to wonder if a lot of minorities are lying to pollsters just to fuck with these numbers. I get all the explanations for how hispanic and black communities have a lot of conservative people, particularly the men, but what’s changed between 2016 and now that would make them MORE likely to support Trump?

Edited by wildcat09

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

funny you say that.  every now and then, she'll make me take my temp, and i'm typically around 97-97.5.  i looked it up and discovered the same thing you did.

but i rarely mention it, because the wife already thinks she's sick all the time, and i don't want her thinking that 99f is a 911 call or a death sentence.  i joke that she's had covid 8-9x since this whole thing started (i can't smell anything!).  sometimes she just runs hot because i'm a pain in the ass.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So my body temperature sits at 97 - 97.2. I thought I was unusual but sounds like not. 

I went to the dentist the other day and they took my temperature and it was a smooth 94.0. She didn't remark- just wrote it in her journal.  I asked her if I looked like I'd just become reanimated after thawing out of an iceberg. She just gave me a blank look. I was like 94 degrees?  Do you think that temperature is right?  She said nothing. Then they took my blood pressure and were like 195/120. I was like- nope- I literally just had my life insurance physical and it was 125/75 which is basically what my BP always is.  Then the dentist comes and tells me- you are very dangerously sick with that blood pressure. I was like dude- I'd be way more concerned if that was actually correct, but much like my bet is that I don't have a 94 degree temp I'm betting this isn't correct either. So he took it again and it was like 150 over 97.  Told him- I'm still pretty sure your machine is wrong.  So he was like- fine- I will take it myself.  130/81. I was like- yeah- that matches what my BP readings (more or less) have been my entire life. I'm pretty sure that's right.  

Then they told my wife I was a lousy patient when she came in afterwards for her check up. I think I need a new dentist.  Doesn't inspire confidence with those readings on temp and BP.

Tangent over- I had no idea of that temperature reading thing. That's extremely interesting to me.  Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

As a member of said community, I would recommend offering a free barbacoa taco for a valid survey response.  I mean, that would work on me.

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

So about that NYT poll:

Put a gun to my head and I'd bet Texas hispanic support for Trump is closer to 20% than 40%

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Trump’s substantially higher support in polling among minorities this time around leads me to wonder if a lot of minorities are lying to pollsters just to fuck with these numbers. I get all the explanations for how Hispanic and black communities have a lot of conservative people, particularly the men, but what’s changed between 2016 and now that would make them MORE likely to support Trump?

Yeah- I wouldn't think they are going out of their way to fuck with pollsters (GOP has plenty that hate pollsters but I've never got that sense from anyone else) but maybe?  I'm skeptical of any poll, ever, that shows any GOP with higher than about 9% black and 32 or so percent hispanic (unless you are talking Florida with a lot of cubans).

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll tell the truth for one barbacoa taco.

Add a lengua taco, and I'll tell you whatever you want to hear.

I'm sensing that if I offered you a couple dozen tacos of your choice from your favorite local establishment that you could be convinced to put up a massive Trump sign in your yard. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

16 minutes ago, The Dog said:

So about that NYT poll:

The point is we are seeing a large variation in Trump support among Hispanic respondents and nobody is getting a good handle on how to properly 

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1320778641660411906?s=19

Is shit borked? Tweets aren't loading