2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

11 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Then how does Biden break them off?

Biden isn't breaking off shit. This coalition has to break itself off. It'll take the 15-20% of the Republican party with some semblance of brains to leave or defect, and I don't mean the actual politicians but both them and regular citizens. Guys who get sick of the Q-nuts making them look like shit and dont want them at their neighborhood parties. If we can successfully out of office and into court in NY or other places, public discovery and some convictions would do well as well, that'd go a long way. But it's going to have to happen on its own.

Honestly, I've wondered if Biden can't sit down with McConnell and try to reach some kind of compromise. McConnell is lots of things, but stupid doesn't strike me as it. Perhaps he can be reasoned with for some kind of policy or two that can credit both parties for working together and building something. In return, hopefully it could mean the marginalization of Trump from their party. He has to hate and resent the power that fucker wields that Mitch probably believes should be HIS power. Long term he has to want to get that out of the party. But this is just how I can convince myself to sleep at night without the nightmares, so it's pretty unlikely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Can't wait for Dominion to sue Powell for all she's worth. 

Do any of the lawyers want to comment on this dude's blog? No clue if he's reputable or not, but it's discussing the possibilities of a potential defamation suit or something that Dominion could bring against Trump and/or his legal team.

https://jonathanturley.org/2020/11/19/is-dominion-going-to-sue-the-trump-team/

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do any of the lawyers want to comment on this dude's blog? No clue if he's reputable or not, but it's discussing the possibilities of a potential defamation suit or something that Dominion could bring against Trump and/or his legal team.

I know a lawyer who was financially ruined by having to defend against a defamation suit brought against him for statements he made to the press (that is, outside the courtroom) regarding an ongoing lawsuit.

Most lawyers I know are quite wary about what they say to the press (for many reasons, including that one).  I usually tell members of the media that if they want to understand my client's position, they can listen to the court proceedings.  I might even tell them what to be paying attention to hear, but talk in court, and then STFU is a good rule for smart lawyers.  Which Rudy and team ain't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Meh, they all roll up to the Genus  Aggrieved White People. 

I would say they’re in the family of Aggrieved White People.

Their Genus is Factus Nomatterus

All these people are in a world rooted in fantasy.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What will the Michigan state reps going to the White House tomorrow actually do?  Are they going to come back to Michigan after the WH meeting and say "guys, we were wrong. Trump told us" and overthrow shit?

He's going to pull out his smooth Kim Jong-Un moves on them.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What will the Michigan state reps going to the White House tomorrow actually do?  Are they going to come back to Michigan after the WH meeting and say "guys, we were wrong. Trump told us" and overthrow shit?

Depends on how bad the blackmail is that Trump shows them. 

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Get COVID. 

Spread COVID

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Then how does Biden break them off?

In one way, he already did.  The number of people who voted for Republicans was considerably higher than the number of people who voted for Trump.  So I would say the anti-Trump Republicans have already broken off from the Trump-Republican coalition. 

The best way to push the pro-Trump supporters who are only iffy on the Republicans would be to highlight the above.  We keep talking about how the GOP is now the party of Trump.  Well, that's actually holding the coalition together, because it hasn't driven off the anti-Trumpers from the GOP, but is likely keeping the pro-Trumpers there.  

To me the biggest failure in Democratic messaging is that it has not done enough to drive that wedge.  Make GOP congressmen either agree or disagree with the President.  Right now, I would like to see a House bill introduced that requires the administration start the transition period to Biden.  Who cares if the Senate ignores it.  Make the House Republicans vote.  Make them vote on concurring with the "stop the steal" bullshit, or make them break against Trump.  Trumpsters would not forgive the latter.  That's how you break them off. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Right now, I would like to see a House bill introduced that requires the administration start the transition period to Biden.  Who cares if the Senate ignores it.  Make the House Republicans vote.  Make them vote on concurring with the "stop the steal" bullshit, or make them break against Trump.  Trumpsters would not forgive the latter.  That's how you break them off. 

This is exactly correct and is proper political strategy.

I give the Democratic Party a 3% chance of figuring it out. 

Republicans constantly attempt to make Democrats declare themselves either centrist or leftist and Democrats fall for it. Democrats never even try to force the analogous declaration from Republicans. Put them on the record. Are you a Q nut or a centrist? 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I didn't watch any of this nonsense. What was the "viable path to victory"?

18 minutes ago, SameSame said:

You know, for some reason they just never got around to laying that out.

They actually did. It was in the part I watched. Rudy said "the constitution" lays out a viable path in instances in cases like this with widespread election fraud. In other words, although he didn't specify it clearly, he did say State Legislators stepping in...so what we already knew. He wants his own electors calling the shots. And yeah, he said it out loud, but didn't spell it out. 

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm a lawyer. Powell et. al. are sitting ducks for a relatively easy defamation suit. 

25 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, we all kinda knew it would come down to this.  "JUST MAKE ME THE WINNER!!11!!"

20 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If you want a Civil War, this is how you get a Civil War.

16 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

I'd take to the streets for sure. 

These.  Seriously, if you wanted to bring about violence, a plan of "nevermind the votes, my party controls the state legislature -- PSYCHE, I WIN!" is a surefire way to do that.  It would the most dangerous political action in the US since the Civil War, and would have a similar result -- bloodshed.

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

If there's a kernel of truth to any of this that they don't want to get out. But that seems...unlikely.

Because of discovery?  Rudy needs to be put out of his fucking misery. 

Whoever had the idea to force a vote on the transition, I read portions of a book by Michael Lewis called the Fifth Risk and I thought there were actual rules around transition of administrations but maybe I misremembered that. Regardless, the vote idea is a good one. 

44 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Too late for that.  Election day has already passed.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/11/18/voters-pick-president-state-legislatures-no-veto-power-column/6311981002/  

"As well as giving the state legislatures the power to set “the manner” by which electors are chosen, the Constitution also gives Congress the power to decide the day (the Constitution actually says “time”) on which electors are to be appointed. That day this year was Nov. 3. And if any state selected its slate of electors on a day other than Nov. 3, it would violate federal law, and that slate could therefore not be counted."

One thing SCOTUS has been pretty consistent about is that last-minute changes in procedures are not allowed.  If a state has enacted a statute that says the candidate with the most vote gets that state's electors, the legislature  has delegated the authority and can't change it back on a whim. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Red Five said:

Oh I see. Dotard won by a landslide and they are going to prove it. I'm not really sure why they haven't attempted that yet in any of the dozens of court cases they've lost, but I'm sure that's just all part of the plan. 

They've apparently been negotiating with the Kraken about its fees. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Too late for that.  Election day has already passed.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/11/18/voters-pick-president-state-legislatures-no-veto-power-column/6311981002/  

"As well as giving the state legislatures the power to set “the manner” by which electors are chosen, the Constitution also gives Congress the power to decide the day (the Constitution actually says “time”) on which electors are to be appointed. That day this year was Nov. 3. And if any state selected its slate of electors on a day other than Nov. 3, it would violate federal law, and that slate could therefore not be counted."

One thing SCOTUS has been pretty consistent about is that last-minute changes in procedures are not allowed.  If a state has enacted a statute that says the candidate with the most vote gets that state's electors, the legislature  has delegated the authority and can't change it back on a whim. 

I feel like this has been discussed quite a bit. The electors might be selected, but different states and different laws and penalties (if any) for the electors going against the popular vote in their state. And some of the states are vulnerable. But yeah, the electors are set. But I'm pretty sure there's still some wiggle room. That being said, that article does touch on the faithless electors case this past summer, so maybe it is all encompassing? Lawyers can tell us.