Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

melania's fashion choices are not of concern or interesting at all.  she's a vapid shell that does things she thinks will endear her to the female companions of the elite.

the only exception...i'll admit the one thing that was just weird was the hurricane jacket.  the 'don't care, do you' message.  that really was so bizarre.  it made zero sense and was seemingly outright hostile.  there is no world in which that feels appropriate.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 5:06 AM, Goredho said:

Well, this would concern me if I hadn’t already been conditioned to distrust academia and the press.

Yes that’s where the maybe not comes in at the end of the post. We both see the patriotic Americans showing up throughout this thread.

1 minute ago, Gap03 said:

Obviously, someone in the admin (no way Trump wrote that) really wanted to trigger the libs on this most pseudo of pseudo-holidays.  Let's see how many take the bait ...

Yeah, that's clearly a "let's drive the libs crazy" kind of post.

He's giving yet another rally speech before cops.  Speaking on prison reform, he says employers who have hired people coming out of prison have called him directly to tell him they are the best employees.  Not all of them, but some of them.  

We have the best felons under this administration.

34 minutes ago, Burt said:

He's giving yet another rally speech before cops.  Speaking on prison reform, he says employers who have hired people coming out of prison have called him directly to tell him they are the best employees.  Not all of them, but some of them.  

We have the best felons under this administration.

Great. Let them vote. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

jtfc

Here’s the thing.  Trump is a master of stoking the fire of insecure ignorance.  His base is full of people who never graduated beyond a kindergarten-level understanding of history.  Every day, they see another sacred myth exposed for what it is.  Their brains can’t handle nuance.  They can’t reconcile the awful reality of Christopher Columbus with the hero myth they learned as kids.  They have to pick one or the other, and so they stick with the simple fairy tale of their youth.  It’s easier.  And it’s less frightening than the possibility that something they believed for decades was completely wrong.  

Trump tells these people: you weren’t wrong.  You were right!  It’s liberal elitists who are trying to fool you to make you feel stupid and ashamed of worshipping a good man who was brave enough to sail around the flat earth and who stumbled onto a bunch of land that the local Indians were willing to give him peacefully.  And they eat it up.  

• Like 1

Just now, BrickHorn said:

It’s liberal elitists who are trying to fool you to make you feel stupid and ashamed of worshipping a good man who was brave enough to sail around the flat earth and who stumbled onto a bunch of land that the local Indians were willing to give him peacefully.  

Some of whom, he assumes, were good people.

The Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria formed a "might fleet?"

ships.jpg?ed62ab

I'm not crazy about the politics that have seized the Columbus (hell, we can't even get his name right) story, but it took balls sail these three little ships into the broad and empty ocean not knowing what was over the horizon or just under the surface.

The European arrival was a disaster for the native cultures and their very lives. Sadly, contact was inevitable and it was really just a matter of who brought plagues and advanced military ability to the New World.

Everything doesn't have to be reduced to either all good or all evil. The achievement of crossing the broad Atlantic was remarkable even if what followed was truly tragic.

• Like 3

"Chris Columbus was a tremendously talented man. Discovered America. Just a great, great guy. He asked me to play myself in Home Alone 2, and said that my appearance was the best part of the movie according to the test audiences. People just loved it.  Barron told me that he directed the first Harry Potter movie as well.  He could do it all."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What is wrong with this, specifically?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus#Criticism_and_defense_in_modern_scholarship

Even if you look at it through the lens of "they just didn't know any better at the time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " Columbus' genocide and rape of the indigenous people was extraordinarily barbaric.  Way overshadows the myth making that occurred after his death.  This is pretty widely known, although my fiancee is Assiniboine and Hawaiian, and so maybe I've caught a bit of the extra vitriol that Native Americans have for Columbus.

*edit* and some of the "jtfc" is also just from the.... purposefulness with which the Trump White House is going out of their way to celebrate a figure who is loathed by not his base and only defended by his base due to their loathing of the non MAGA crowd.  Calculated and divisive.

Edited by Celery Man

25 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, Christopher Columbus fronted the Donald $50 million?

Therefore, Columbus is a Russian.

Therefore, the Russians discovered The New World and killed all the natives.

Yay! We're off the genocide hook!

[Seriously, the devastation of what was here before the Europeans is a huge tragedy and loss to the world. If you read Bernal Diaz (unapologetic soldier of Cortez), you have to wonder which side was the more savage. Human sacrifice versus the Inquisition. Clean, large beautiful cities versus the squalor of Europe.]

37 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’m familiar with the arguments against Columbus and the political reasons for why it’s a holiday by throwing a bone to the “eye-talians” (and I know a Italian guy from NYC who told me that’s it’s a big deal in the Italian community up there), but I guess it’s just not something that moves the needle for me. Celebrate it as a myth and political play, don’t celebrate it because the truth behind it is not very clean, whatever. But the fact that it is a (national?) holiday means that there’s going to be a generic tweet about why it’s cool and great for America, right? I’m sure Obama tweeted Happy Columbus Day and not “We should disband this holiday celebrating genocide”, right? 

From the generic white dude perspective, I get the "ugh does everything have to be a whole *thing* all the time?".  But if you put yourself in the shoes of someone whose cultural history in America is one of being on the wrong side of slavery and genocide, can you at least (perhaps as a Christian) understand the frustration at the fact that there is a federal holiday celebrating one of the absolute worst culprits, in which we perpetuate hero myths about a guy who barbarically decimated indigenous populations and also isn't a figure of American history.

That's thing 1, the Trump part is how, if you were a president in one of the most divided times in American history and people continually point out your racism and intolerance, it would be an easy punch to duck to not go overboard celebrating Columbus specifically.  Unless you didn't have any interest in doing anything but dividing the country more at every opportunity and spurring on the culture war at every turn.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

So, Christopher Columbus fronted the Donald $50 million?

Therefore, Columbus is a Russian.

Therefore, the Russians discovered The New World and killed all the natives.

Yay! We're off the genocide hook!

[Seriously, the devastation of what was here before the Europeans is a huge tragedy and loss to the world. If you read Bernal Diaz (unapologetic soldier of Cortez), you have to wonder which side was the more savage. Human sacrifice versus the Inquisition. Clean, large beautiful cities versus the squalor of Europe.]

I'ma go with "whatever human group has greater power than the other, that's where you find depravity."

Spaniards to Aztecs.

Aztecs to nearby tribes.

Etc. Etc. ad infinitum.

We humans are good at depravity and cruelty. It's kinda our jam.

Just now, Celery Man said:

That's thing 1, the Trump part is how, if you were a president in one of the most divided times in American history and people continually point out your racism and intolerance, it would be an easy punch to duck to not go overboard celebrating Columbus specifically.  Unless you didn't have any interest in doing anything but dividing the country more at every opportunity and spurring on the culture war at every turn.

I think it's rather clear -- if there's an opportunity to emphasize and/or foment even greater division, Trump will take it.  That's a natural consequence when you 1) view life on earth as a zero-sum game (nobody can win unless someone else loses), and 2) you've picked your team, which just so happens to be the team with the disproportionate amount of power (old white folks).

Note that the mere existence of that disparate power dynamic doesn't necessarily make old white folks bad or evil. It's what you DO with that power.  And being that we've chosen "rub everyone else's nose in the dirt and remind them that they're your bitch, always have been, and you'll do whatever it takes to keep it that way," well, NOW you've chosen the depraved shithead path.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Here’s the thing.  Trump is a master of stoking the fire of insecure ignorance.  His base is full of people who never graduated beyond a kindergarten-level understanding of history.  Every day, they see another sacred myth exposed for what it is.  Their brains can’t handle nuance.  They can’t reconcile the awful reality of Christopher Columbus with the hero myth they learned as kids.  They have to pick one or the other, and so they stick with the simple fairy tale of their youth.  It’s easier.  And it’s less frightening than the possibility that something they believed for decades was completely wrong.  

Trump tells these people: you weren’t wrong.  You were right!  It’s liberal elitists who are trying to fool you to make you feel stupid and ashamed of worshipping a good man who was brave enough to sail around the flat earth and who stumbled onto a bunch of land that the local Indians were willing to give him peacefully.  And they eat it up.  

maxresdefault.jpg

I disagree with your assessment of Trump, but I also like it as it's even stupider than how I imagine him.  And if centrist now means simply not acknowledging one of the top 5 worst people in human history rather than turning him into Santa Claus, I guess that's the culture war.  Not trying to pick on you or pick a fight, but I was the one who brought it up.  And again the language specifically praising Columbus as a person, and his indomitable will (or whatever monosyllabic way dotard expressed it), blech.

(that's my last post on the topic, i'll go be offended at a statue now)

Edited by Celery Man