Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He had the power to do exactly what Trump is doing now with regards to CNN and the Russia Investigation.

He just didn’t go there because he’s better than that.  Perhaps he shouldn’t have been.  Maybe he should have called out the bullshit more often.

Obama never pushed the envelope like Trump.  He was too concerned with respecting the norms and not flirting with the lines.  In other words, he was too soft and that’s part of the reason Trump was so appealing.  Trump doesn’t give a fuck and people respect that, sadly.

The first black president didn't have the luxury of acting like Trump.  Obama was like Jackie Robinson, a dignified adult who took his place in this nation's history seriously, tan suits notwithstanding.  The litany is long of Trump behaviors that make you think "Imagine if Obama did that".

45 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He had the power to do exactly what Trump is doing now with regards to CNN and the Russia Investigation.

He just didn’t go there because he’s better than that.  Perhaps he shouldn’t have been.  Maybe he should have called out the bullshit more often.

Obama never pushed the envelope like Trump.  He was too concerned with respecting the norms and not flirting with the lines.  In other words, he was too soft and that’s part of the reason Trump was so appealing.  Trump doesn’t give a fuck and people respect that, sadly.

Yeah. He respected norms.  His IRS just went after political oppontnents and the DOJ prosecuted journalists.  

That was the trick to Obama.  Super slick and cool and for the people, but his actions were diametrically opposed to the image.

Nobody jailed for the financial crisis, but look he slow jams the news with Jimmy Fallon!!11!1!1

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/business/economy/trump-federal-workers.html

This was a great move by Trump.  Looking forward to hearing how substandard federal employees should be coddled more. 

I fully support the not-coddling of substandard federal employees if we can implement it across the board.  Deal?  I can't wait for Trump's performance review.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

3 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

I fully support the not-coddling of substandard federal employees if we can implement it across the board.  Deal?

We’re gonna need to review that policy revision for at least 120 days.  Then we can get back to you. 

11 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

The first black president didn't have the luxury of acting like Trump.  Obama was like Jackie Robinson, a dignified adult who took his place in this nation's history seriously, tan suits notwithstanding.  The litany is long of Trump behaviors that make you think "Imagine if Obama did that".

Yeah, I know you’re right.  

ScreenShot2012-11-06at74536PM1.png

On May 8, 2018 at 4:21 PM, Brisketexan said:

It’s not an idea. It’s a truth. For fuck’s sake, listen to their rhetoric.

If the modern evangelical movement is a friend of the poor, with friends like that, who needs enemies.

He's an evil, deceitful demon.

55 minutes ago, Pods said:

Lots of news the past few days. The pace of the drip-drip-drip has been picking up. 

When these companies hire lewandowski or Cohen to help with lobbying, do they really make these guys go thru the motions of acting their advice will help with their deals, or is it “ heres 500k we expect you to put in a good word.”  I suppose they need some type of work product that a low level lobbyist has to create to demonstrate what they are buying.

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Yeah. He respected norms.  His IRS just went after political oppontnents and the DOJ prosecuted journalists.  

That was the trick to Obama.  Super slick and cool and for the people, but his actions were diametrically opposed to the image.

Nobody jailed for the financial crisis, but look he slow jams the news with Jimmy Fallon!!11!1!1

Obama didn't use the IRS to go after his political enemies. Fox News repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it true. Only one IRS office was involved in the vetting of the numerous applications for tax free status and both liberal and conservative groups were looked at. It is true there were more conservative organizations asking for tax free status so more of them were investigated. 

This lie bothers me more than most of the other Republican bullshit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When these companies hire lewandowski or Cohen to help with lobbying, do they really make these guys go thru the motions of acting their advice will help with their deals, or is it “ heres 500k we expect you to put in a good word.”  I suppose they need some type of work product that a low level lobbyist has to create to demonstrate what they are buying.

Cohen didn't do shit. It's a bribe, pure and simple. In Cohen's case at least, it's likely a percent was kicked back to Trump or used to pay off sexual indiscretions. 

11 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I've been alive for: Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush (first election I could vote in), Obama, Drumpf. So, literally no one. Obama was easily the best of president of my lifetime (so far).

Bill Clinton was the best president of my lifetime and it isn’t close.  We should have made him Prez fo Life when we had the chance.

• Like 1

I hate to say this but Obama does need to take some responsibility for the political climate that gave us Trump.  America obviously had a serious problem that was being neglected by the Obama administration.  

That’s a stupid fucking take. He needs to take responsibility for being black is essentially what you’re saying.

7 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Yeah. He respected norms.  His IRS just went after political oppontnents 

No it didn't.  Trump's  treasury department's own inspector general concluded as much after an exhaustive examination of nine years worth of applications:

https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/2017reports/201710054fr.pdf

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

55 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

That’s a stupid fucking take. He needs to take responsibility for being black is essentially what you’re saying.

Not what I was saying but I see how it can be interpreted that way.  Trump’s rise to power wasn’t all due to racism.

It was also due to a large portion of the population feeling like Washington had abandoned them for globalization and the corporate takeover of America. 

Obama didn’t assuage these people much and they were really pissed off.

Trump tapped into that with ease. 

Ok. My bad on the IRS thing. Didn’t remember details of investigation report  

My point about Obama prosecuting journalists stands   As does the one re: his DOJ letting big banks off the hook.

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What did Obama do to squash the populist uprising?

He backed Hillary and no doubt was aware of the lengths she and the DNC were going to to eliminate Bernie. 

16 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s too soon for me to adequately evaluate Obama’s presidency but I think it’s clear history will be very kind to him.  

I give Obama some points for the job he did with what he stepped into.  He answered the door with several large bags of shit conflagarating on the porch.  The lending crisis,  poor economy, entanglement in an unnecessary and unpopular war, Bin Laden still at large  He’s not Rushmore material, but I’m glad he came along when he did.

What’s shocking is mow much worse of a context the next President will step into.

12 hours ago, triplehorn said:

The Russians’ goal is to tear America apart from within, they’re plan hasn’t changed since the the Cold War.  Yes, but Trump is an operational asset.  Order of magnitude increase in destruction.

Trump may have presented some short term objective opportunities but Bernie would have been a sweet gift too, especially with a Republican Congress.  See above.

They want as much disfunction and polarization in American as possible.  And let’s not pretend Bernie was a Russia hardliner, far from it.  True, but national sentiment for Russia under Bernie would be nowhere the same as it is now.  Hard to predict exactly, but the relevance would be less due to Bernie not being an active asset.

The Russians still covertly support the NRA and Black Lives Matter to this day.  Not really having anything to do with Bernie, but it's still a useful wedge, or was.

To be honest, Trump winning the election kinda screwed Putin’s whole operation up because it put direct sunlight on his entire operation and may end up unifying the American population against Russia. This is Putin’s worst nightmare.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Compared to Bernie, Trump winning was a Putin orgasm fixed on loop, until it wasn't.  Shit happened after the election (dossier published, Sessions recused, more Comey FBI Russia investigation revelations, Mueller appointed). 

And now the real shit is just getting warmed up.  Bernie was never on the same plain as Trump on Putin's game board.

You guys are better with more words.  To simplify, Putin was pleasantly surprised his plans worked to trick us idiots to vote Trump in...then was quite disappointed his puppet couldn’t get shit done because some assholes had put measures in place to protect against this exact scenario - and they did that almost 250 years ago. 

America, fuck yeah!

Happy MDW, assholes.  Fuck Trump.  

17 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I give Obama some points for the job he did with what he stepped into.  He answered the door with several large bags of shit conflagarating on the porch.  The lending crisis,  poor economy, entanglement in an unnecessary and unpopular war, Bin Laden still at large  He’s not Rushmore material, but I’m glad he came along when he did.

What’s shocking is mow much worse of a context the next President will step into.

giphy.gif

Has anyone found a central website or twitter feed that is a good, balanced, accurate and timely source for information?   I find Surly is great at providing arguments from both sides, but it is so time consuming.  Plus frankly, Surly just isn't for everyone, personality wise. 

I'd like to find a place to send friends who are just now waking up to rotten smell emanating off of Trump's administration.  Some place that has timelines and stories that give more detail about points along that timeline.   Also some constant running narrative on what Trump has done and the fallout of his actions or inactions. 

I have gleaned a lot from the WAPO, NYT, Vogue and The New Yorker, but they are all behind paywalls after the first few articles.    

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Has anyone found a central website or twitter feed that is a good, balanced, accurate and timely source for information?   I find Surly is great at providing arguments from both sides, but it is so time consuming.  Plus frankly, Surly just isn't for everyone, personality wise. 

I'd like to find a place to send friends who are just now waking up to rotten smell emanating off of Trump's administration.  Some place that has timelines and stories that give more detail about points along that timeline.   Also some constant running narrative on what Trump has done and the fallout of his actions or inactions. 

I have gleaned a lot from the WAPO, NYT, Vogue and The New Yorker, but they are all behind paywalls after the first few articles.    

I think there’s this one twitter where a pretty gal sticks different things up her butt. Metaphorically, it’s as good a commentary on where we are as I’ve found.
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

https://politics.theonion.com/

• Haha 2

@yashar is my most valuable twitter follow for Trump news. @maggieNYT is notoriously deeply sourced.

If you turn on private browsing you can often get around paywalls that allow a few free articles per month

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I usually laugh at his shit by now but this one makes me ragey. 

I have found that playing the “A message from the king” line from  Hamilton in my head before reading a Trump tweet really helps make them make a little more fucking sense. 

It is nice that we’re back to holding policy hostage - that’s always fun.

56 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I usually laugh at his shit by now but this one makes me ragey. 

Disregarding the abominable spelling, capitalization, and overall sentence structure, how is this the Democrats' fault?  Have you looked at Congress, Donald?

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

talkingpointsmemo.com is the best such site I have found.   It's from a left perspective, but with critical thinking.  That is, it doesn't just push narratives.  Just the opposite -- they push back on the lib narratives that don't have merit or sufficient evidence.

• Like 1