Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

5 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

I doubt DOTUS can do something like that. 

Yeah, DOTUS can’t; he’s too fucking fat.

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think it's more sinister. The sole mouthpiece for the truth on that network...well, he's one of 'em queers, and whatever he says cain't be true 'cause he's a librul hoe-moe.

You might be right, I don’t watch Fox News so had no idea he was gay until this thread. 

We all live in varying levels of filter bubble. In the very few interactions I've had like this, the guys are genuinely flustered and upset by any pushback because their filter bubbles do not involve any critical thinking. Some people reach out of theirs (many of us here, just by participating here, have our beliefs constantly challenged), but I think MOST people really do live in an informational and ideological isolation tank.

I noted this in another thread...but people whose world is very small tend to blow minor things out of proportion. If their social, economic and cultural horizons are very close then every slight threatens their existence.

Whether by vote or an act of Congress, I think he leaves office after no more than one term and in ruin.   His marriage destroyed and half of his children in prison.  Exposed as a sham with his facade of wealth and cunning laughably absurd in retrospect.  

Why not all his kids? Prison is just like summer camp!

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When he came out as gay publicly, a whole bunch of FNC viewers lost their shit and wanted him fired.  He survived.  

I sometimes think he’s there to float trial balloons, and, as you said, to do the fair and balanced thing. 

But I sometimes wonder if he represents the Murdoch family. 

He came out?  When did that happen?  Totally missed that.  (NTTAWWT.)

Just went and Googled it.  He did it at a speech at Ole Miss.  I'll be damned.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

4 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Why do you hate educating people?

No offense to him, but there's a lot complaining on this board about "free college for all" as if everyone with a 2.0 will automatically be admitted to UT and given a free education that they'll squander and then drop out with no consequence.  Mostly misdirected discussions by slorch and that group.

If you don't understand the policy, don't comment on it. 

• Like 1

lets work on having a president who comments less on shit he doesn't understand.

but as an aside from a conservative leaning person who is reassessing things, "free college" initially makes me think about how nothing is free and how does that work.  The idea of free tuition for junior college courses as an intermediate step seems easy?  I'd trade a war for that?  And we can't sustain the skyrocketing costs of college tuition, it's criminal and setting up the current generation for financial mediocrity.  Sometimes it takes me a second to get past "there is no free" to "I actually agree with some version of this and am interested in thinking about it", depending on the language.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Free college for all.  I’m completely fine w Medicare for all.  

The cost of college tuition can absolutely be a winning issue for Democrats.  Free college for all is the wrong way to frame it.  Emphasize that the costs have skyrocketed and that you'd like to get it back to how it was in the good old days. That'll get more of the olds on board instead of them grumbling about handouts to these kids today.  

This is not true.  You can be guilty of obstructing justice without being guilty of a crime, or even of there being a crime committed.  If I walk into my house, see my sister-in-law dead on the ground, my wife's gun laying next to her, I might suspect my wife murdered her.  If I throw the gun in the river, I'm obstructing justice, even though I didn't commit a crime. If it turns out my sister-in-law killed herself while cleaning the gun, I still obstructed justice. 

Ok I was just going on what Hugo said.

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Our president has tweeted about a tv show 132 times in 18 months. Totally normal.

Damnit, I can't even post the "this is fine" meme anymore because it's lame AF now that Richard Burr talked about it in the Senate chamber.

College should be affordable. I'm not convinced it should be free. I think you probably have to charge something to discourage the attendance of people who won't take it seriously. Obviously you can't eliminate that completely because there will always be parents willing to pay for their kids who aren't committed to the task even if they're qualified. But free? That just sounds reckless and it makes it hard for me to take its proponents seriously.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

College should be affordable. I'm not convinced it should be free. I think you probably have to charge something to discourage the attendance of people who won't take it seriously. Obviously you can't eliminate that completely because there will always be parents willing to pay for their kids who aren't committed to the task even if they're qualified. But free? That just sounds reckless and it makes it hard for me to take its proponents seriously.

Agreed. Although I think the proposals relate only to free tuition. The cost of just the textbooks is currently around $1200/year and textbooks, fees, room and board, etc. are not included in these proposals

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Agreed. Although I think the proposals relate only to free tuition. The cost of just the textbooks is currently around $1200/year and textbooks, fees, room and board, etc. are not included in these proposals

Textbooks are ridiculous. I'm surprised people still buy them when it's been possible to "find" most of them elsewhere for at least 15 years now. 

Room and board should be covered under basic income

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fuck off cunt

tell your dumbass father

Why is this even news?  She is still working for him and enabling this crap. Until she walks away her wishy washy opinions are meaningless.  It's not newsworthy that someone thinks the media is not the enemy of the people.  JFC, it's insane and a violation of the so called president's oath to abide by the constitution to be making these bat shit crazy statements.

1 hour ago, yaqdum said:

i think we need to quit worrying about people who can't be reached.  who gives a shit what they think?

I don't particularly give a shit except that they will still exist and can still be a political force.

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I don't particularly give a shit except that they will still exist and can still be a political force.

But will they still show up and participate meaningfully for anyone BUT Trump?  Because what we have here is a cult of personality.  Other folks who have already tried to cater to that crowd haven't been nearly as successful (see Cruz).  The movement isn't about ideas, it's about a man.  When he's not there to lead it -- and yes, I see the threats about his kids, but they aren't him; they'll get some devotees for sure, but they aren't the showman that DJT is -- the movement will not have nearly the strength.

The people you saw in Tampa?  They used to live in a hole, surrounded by their own fetid waste of a life.  And when DJT is gone, most of them will return to that hole.  We should seal it shut.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The center-right Dems have gotten their faces stomped for a decade+ in every race that isn't the presidential race. Republicans control everything. They have passed no real meaningful legislation of any kind. They have not stacked the courts with progressive justices.

Conor Lamb and Joe Manchin and Doug Jones would beg to differ.

Your preferred path is a road to a permanent coast-based minority.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The approach to the college situation should be similar to the approach to healthcare.  Significant cost reduction for the buyer should be the top priority.  People shouldn’t be shackled to 200k+ in student loans and medical bills in this country.  It’s absurd.  

How costs are reduced is open for debate but significant cost reduction and limiting the financial burden to citizens should be the ultimate goal.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz