Overrated Austin restaurants?

Chet Steadman

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I spent a fair amount of time at the Baby A's at Riverside in college.  I always appreciated the "2 marg max" rule as I downed my 6th marg.

I went back to one last year and I can't believe that dump passes health code. 

Same with Trudy's. 

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I drive by the Baby As in Gateway occasionally. I can’t tell if it’s closed or just no one goes there. It can’t tell whats more depressing in Gateway. Iron Cactus or Baby As

Iron Cactus has to be a drug front.  Parking lot is half empty even during peak dining hours, the food is perfectly just short of mediocre, and it's priced too high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Iron Cactus has to be a drug front.  Parking lot is half empty even during peak dining hours, the food is perfectly just short of mediocre, and it's priced too high.

Does Iron Cactus still transform into a nightclub after hours like it did 20 years ago? 

On 5/25/2018 at 3:01 PM, Brisketexan said:

It ain't that hard to duplicate at home.  Keep jar of bacon grease in fridge.  When making refrieds, add a good dollop of bacon grease to pan before  you add the beans.  Magic.

Seriously. Hell, I didn't know there was another way to make beans, refried or not.

On 5/25/2018 at 12:46 PM, VolenteHawk said:

I wound up at Chuy's for lunch.  Not that anybody thinks it's good, but when did it go from below average to totally sucking?  The salsa tasted like diced tomatoes.

Yeah most people (except the dumbasses that pack the place all the time) seem to understand how overrated Chuy's is, but it's nice to see some others on here who also see how overrated Torchy's is.

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Torchys. Decent but overrated AF. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, same goes for TacoDeli.

The problem, like with everything else here, is all the Californians. That shit is mediocre at best to us, but it's probably about eleventy-bazillion times better than anything they have back home, so they overrun the place.

25 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Torchys. Decent but overrated AF. 

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, same goes for TacoDeli.

These.  My crusade against the $5 taco is a known thing.  It's an affront to the core value of tacos and Mexicans -- handheld grub should be cheap.  I'm not saying their tacos are bad (although Torchy's tortillas suck -- I actually like Taco Deli tacos), but they are WAY overrated, because LOTS of places that aren't as gleaming, shiny, and California-friendly serve kickass tacos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

These.  My crusade against the $5 taco is a known thing.  It's an affront to the core value of tacos and Mexicans -- handheld grub should be cheap.  I'm not saying their tacos are bad (although Torchy's tortillas suck -- I actually like Taco Deli tacos), but they are WAY overrated, because LOTS of places that aren't as gleaming, shiny, and California-friendly serve kickass tacos.

i feel like i've agreed with you either here or on the old sight. 

if you have to name your taco something pretentious, your taco sucks.

give me arandinas or casa maria any day. in south austin, we are not starved for choice, that's for sure.

i skimmed the thread, and agree with the following mentions: loro, lin asian (though my wife loves the place), matt's el rancho, trudy's

what i haven't seen: magnolia cafe. seriously, why do people wait an hour for a mediocre breakfast they could order anywhere? i know kerbey lane has made it into this thread, and the same goes for there.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m going to have to disagree with you here...on price 

Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. If the gringos are willing to spend $5 on a taco, then so be it.

Coffee used to be dirt cheap then Starbucks came along 

Cupcakes, then Crave 

Water was free until Evian 

I understand cheap street tacos are a Birthright to any Mexican but like anything else in America, it was sold to the highest bidder. 

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m going to have to disagree with you here...on price 

Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. If the gringos are willing to spend $5 on a taco, then so be it.

Coffee used to be dirt cheap then Starbucks came along 

Cupcakes, then Crave 

Water was free until Evian 

I understand cheap street tacos are a Birthright to any Mexican but like anything else in America, it was sold to the highest bidder. 

I also don't pay Starbucks prices for coffee or $18 for a hamburger.  I don't buy fucking Evian or Fiji water.  I don't care if there are a shitload of gullible dumbfucks out there.

1 -- I ain't one of 'em.

2 -- I get to make fun of 'em and call 'em stupid.

I don't resent people making a buck off of suckers....I'm just not going to participate in their suckerdom.  Ergo, Torchy's, Starbucks, $18 burgers, and Fiji are over-fucking-rated.

Meanwhile, I'll get 4 damned fine tacos for $6 from the truck that shows up to the construction site around the corner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

what i haven't seen: magnolia cafe. seriously, why do people wait an hour for a mediocre breakfast they could order anywhere? i know kerbey lane has made it into this thread, and the same goes for there.

Ha hah!  You didn't skim well enough!  I quote myself from Page 2:

Magnolia Cafe is a hipster pubic hair in your eggs waiting to happen.  Kerbey Lane, a little less so, but their food sucks more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Umm, Veracruz (at least the the trailer, can’t speak to the brick and mortar) has some of the best tortillas and one of the best tacos in town in the migas.

People like it, and therefore someone else feels the need to take it down a peg.  That's basically the entire point of this long and stupid thread.

However, it does bring the lulz, so carry on surly curmudgeons.  We'll all get off your grass while you let your rant hang out. :)

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I wish you had a similar crusade against your very namesake - years ago, and not all that many, Brisket (and BBQ) was "cow leftovers" that were cheaply spiced up and smoked.  Shit, you could get a pound of them thar cheap cuts for 5 bucks.  Nowadays with all the explosion 'round here, BBQ is way too fucking expensive and nowhere near "handheld (or at least "scrap partz ) grub" core values. 

Yeah yeah do it yourself but sometimes you just want to get a quick, good bite of 'cue, but it's the same thing as tacos... years ago I could go for a nice plate for like $7-$10 - and that's with at least 2 sides.  It's all getting "nouveau riche."  Fuck all of that bullshit.  Cheap meats 'posed to be cheap meats.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I wish you had a similar crusade against your very namesake - years ago, and not all that many, Brisket (and BBQ) was "cow leftovers" that were cheaply spiced up and smoked.  Shit, you could get a pound of them thar cheap cuts for 5 bucks.  Nowadays with all the explosion 'round here, BBQ is way too fucking expensive and nowhere near "handheld (or at least "scrap partz ) grub" core values. 

Yeah yeah do it yourself but sometimes you just want to get a quick, good bite of 'cue, but it's the same thing as tacos... years ago I could go for a nice plate for like $7-$10 - and that's with at least 2 sides.  It's all getting "nouveau riche."  Fuck all of that bullshit.  Cheap meats 'posed to be cheap meats.

Skirt steak, too.  I used to buy it for $.79/lb regular price, and $.59/lb on sale.  That was 20 years ago, but it wasn't 60 years ago like a $.10 cheeseburger or something.  That's inflation of around 1000% in 15-20 years.  Just crazy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

You and my dad should get drunk together and rant about overpriced cheap meats.

See, he grew up a South Texas messican from the 50s on.  He remembers well when fajitas -- actual skirt steak -- was 20 cents a pound.  It was a cheap, shitty cut that all the mexicans ate on the weekend, and loved.  And then "those sonsabitches from Chili's started selling fajitas to gringos, and now they're $7.00 a pound."  Seriously, I had to sit through that rant (nodding my head) for the 10,000th time just this past Sunday evening.

Y'all would be simpatico on this topic.  And I wouldn't be arguing with either one of you.

EDIT -- add utee94 to the "pissed off about expensive cheap meats drinking club."

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

This is my issue with BBQ right now. BBQ is great, but it's difficult for me to justify spending $20/lb plus sides (if you're one of those people) that often. 

There are soooo many meals that for $20 are better imo. 

Pro tip:  some BBQ joints will smoke your own brisket for you.  Now, you have to commit to bringing them a slab of meat that might weigh anywhere from 5 to 15 lbs, but their cost to you is most likely $1.50 per pound or less, and you only paid $2.50 - $5 per pound for the raw material.  Do the math.

Or, just smoke your own.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I also don't pay Starbucks prices for coffee or $18 for a hamburger.  I don't buy fucking Evian or Fiji water.  I don't care if there are a shitload of gullible dumbfucks out there.

1 -- I ain't one of 'em.

I don't resent people making a buck off of suckers....I'm just not going to participate in their suckerdom.  Ergo, Torchy's, Starbucks, $18 burgers, and Fiji are over-fucking-rated.

Meanwhile, I'll get 4 damned fine tacos for $6 from the truck that shows up to the construction site around the corner.

I will admit I am a sucker for Fiji. Maybe that heightens my douchiness. Or confirms it. 

The rest, yeah. I do starbucks maybe once a month but order on the simpler, cheaper side if I do. I think my cap for a burger is probably $12. $5 tacos can go fuck themselves. 

@jimmyjazz yeah the "smoke your own" angle is the correct answer. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

I will admit I am a sucker for Fiji. Maybe that heightens my douchiness. Or confirms it. 

The rest, yeah. I do starbucks maybe once a month but order on the simpler, cheaper side if I do. I think my cap for a burger is probably $12. $5 tacos can go fuck themselves. 

Fiji makes you a douche, but as long as you own it, dude.

My burger cap is pretty close to yours.  And I get starbucks when I'm with a group getting some, in an airport, that sort of thing.  I order a medium cup of Pike's Place Roast (it's their plainest coffee).  Period.  And I am paying around 30% more than I should for a cup of black coffee.  When I'm on the road, I get my coffee at McDonalds, a TA truck stop, or some place like that.  I usually pay somewhere from $1 to $1.50 for a large coffee.  That doesn't taste like most of Starbucks burnt overpriced coffee.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not that anyone wants a further derail on this thread, but what the hell:  I made some burgers last night for the family, and right now I'm grill- (and smoker) impaired.  Everything just sort of rusted and fell apart.  So, I've been doing burgers in the oven out of laziness, and they suck.  This time I made some 80/20 patties and heated my bigass Lodge cast iron skillet up to semi-nuclear, and basically griddled them on one side, flipped and put them in the oven at 425 F.  Holy shit they were great.  Certainly in that Hopdoddy realm and it cost about $1.50 a cheeseburger all included.

#cheapskate

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- I ain't one of 'em.

If I ever wrote a manifesto, the above would be included verbatim in my food/beverage section.

• Like 1