COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

15 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wtf is a covid true believer? someone who listens to science? god, the dumb, it burns!

Somebody who believes covid-19 actually exists?

It's an odd thing.

They'll slap imaginary championships on the side of their stadium, but some won't acknowledge an actual disease that has probably killed plenty of their older alumni.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's an odd thing.

They'll slap imaginary championships on the side of their stadium, but some won't acknowledge an actual disease that has probably killed plenty of their older alumni.

shit, probably family and friends. it's all just so dumb

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's an odd thing.

Apparently one the posters on that board, a doctor, died of Covid some time ago.  I've seen his name mentioned (can't remember what it is) when the covidiots are pounding there chests about not vaxxing or masking.  They get all bent out of shape for bringing THAT up and then it all gets deleted.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's an odd thing.

and they're saying horse paste (ivermectin) is some miracle cure that science won't recognize.  

7 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Apparently one the posters on that board, a doctor, died of Covid some time ago.  I've seen his name mentioned (can't remember what it is) when the covidiots are pounding there chests about not vaxxing or masking.  They get all bent out of shape for bringing THAT up and then it all gets deleted.

Yes, I happened to check in when it happened. Guy was only in his fifties, as I recall. Very long thread of condolences, and ags got IRATE of any urge to take COVID seriously. Like it would be an insult to the memory of a rural physician who died serving his community in a pandemic. 

17 hours ago, Borachio said:

Fully vaccinated Americans can travel to Canada starting August 9th.  You still have to have a negative covid test within 72 hours before entry.   :(

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/07/government-of-canada-announces-easing-of-border-measures-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers.html

Prepare to sit on your ass for a long time at the crossing.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2021/08/04/canada-border-travel-delays-employee-strike-border-services-agency/5485611001/

My wife is Canadian, and we haven't seen her family in over two years (nor our children their grandparents).  We've been watching closely for when things would open back up.  Finally got her parents a second dose of vaccine a couple of weeks ago (yes it took Canada that long to get the elderly vaccinated), and they're planning to head down here in September.  Hoping we can go back to spend Christmas up there.  

I'd keep your head on a swivel, though, as the current circumstances are perfect for them to shut the border back down any second.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Ivermectin as a Covid treatment is utter bullshit.

Cyanide, however, absolutely can prevent you from contracting Coronavirus and keeps you from having to wear a mask or take a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

This is no shit absolutely true.  The Texags politics board is riddled with folks who refuse to vaccinate but are all in on horse paste if they get the Rona.  It's nuts.

image.png.aaaf5d24d9739fde7d8797b4a20cd53f.png

Y’all can give out Darwin awards all you want but the truth is most of these people have bred and already passed their excellent genetics and reasoning skills to the next generation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Prepare to sit on your ass for a long time at the crossing.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2021/08/04/canada-border-travel-delays-employee-strike-border-services-agency/5485611001/

My wife is Canadian, and we haven't seen her family in over two years (nor our children their grandparents).  We've been watching closely for when things would open back up.  Finally got her parents a second dose of vaccine a couple of weeks ago (yes it took Canada that long to get the elderly vaccinated), and they're planning to head down here in September.  Hoping we can go back to spend Christmas up there.  

I'd keep your head on a swivel, though, as the current circumstances are perfect for them to shut the border back down any second.

Yes,  I heard about the strike that started today I believe.  I'm hoping things stay open,  but have a back up plan if they don't.  (Which would be just staying in Glacier NP an extra night before heading down to Yellowstone.)

53 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Ivermectin as a Covid treatment is utter bullshit.

Israel just published a paper with the results of a double blind/placebo/whatever investigation and the conclusion was that ivermectin is effective against covid.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Drinking bleach is also very effective.  Disinfects the entire system.

AHH!  AHH!  AHH!  Cleaning products are political!  RAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Actually, magnesium citrate is so good at cleaning out the bowels, I started snorting that shit into my lungs.  Cleaned 'em right out, ain't no virus in there! 

Anecdotal, but I'm noticing a lot of the drive-thru testing centers in Central and South austin that were awfully quiet all summer are now 20+ cars deep every single time I drive by them.  I'm guessing by how slow they move, it can easily be a 30-minute wait just for the swab and then up to several days to get the results.  People have time for that, but not the 7 minutes it took to get my vaccine?  Oh right, the vaccine is unproven.  Then so is Covid.  So what the fuck you in line for?  I don't spend my lunch hour waiting to get tested for shit I couldn't possibly have.  If you don't believe in the vaccine, you can't believe in Covid.  Or so tens of millions of Americans have explained it to me on the internet.  So why bother with the test?  You can't disprove a negative.  It's as logical as armybrat taking a pregnancy test. 

14 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Israel just published a paper with the results of a double blind/placebo/whatever investigation and the conclusion was that ivermectin is effective against covid.

What?  So horse paste is the answer?  Well gotdam we’re lucky you came by to share.  Got a link?

23 minutes ago, XYZ said:

21 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Link?

8 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

What?  So horse paste is the answer?  Well gotdam we’re lucky you came by to share.  Got a link?

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-scientist-says-covid-19-could-be-treated-for-under-1day-675612

https://www.cnet.com/news/can-ivermectin-treat-covid-19-what-you-should-know-about-this-controversial-drug/

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02081-w/

tl;dr it needs more study, but if you are in the anti-vaxx crowd, you will chug horse paste in support of your world view.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

I saw some woman on Facebook (some friend of a friend) who had an antivax look about her posting that she was in the hospital with Covid, and no fewer than three of the 10 replies were recommending she eat the horse paste, whatever it's called.  Nature is finding a way.

Update.  She's on a vent.  In response to that post, some dumbass responded that they need to get her off the vent and give her the ivermictin or get her out of that hospital and take her to one that will (a veterinary hospital, I presume). 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Borachio said:

Yes,  I heard about the strike that started today I believe.  I'm hoping things stay open,  but have a back up plan if they don't.  (Which would be just staying in Glacier NP an extra night before heading down to Yellowstone.)

That backup plan sounds terrible.  ;) 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Oh, I'll take a vet over an MD any day. They gotta be able to cure a lizard, a chicken, a pig, a frog all on the same day.

Sometimes I wonder what Kramer would have done about the vaccine had it been Covid-91 instead of Covid-19.  He was prone to conspiracy theories, but also had a lot of hookups and could have gotten the vaccine earlier than anyone else in the city through Lomez or Bob Saccamano.  He didn't believe in Eastern medicine or drugs, but he was probably the one of the four most willing to do try to help other people.  He was in relatively good health, but also led the most bizarre fucking lifestyle of any of 'em.    

I suspect we'll know soon enough what George would have done when the new season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" returns later this year.  

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

From 7/19 to 8/1, 80% of hospital admissions in Austin were unvaccinated, 17% were vaccinated, and the rest were partials.  See here, page 23.  

That’s weird, the graphic says 530 total patients, but only breaks down the vax status of 284.  Is it possible the 284 doesn’t include patients who didn’t provide vax status (and are overwhelmingly likely to be unvaxxed)?  That to me would make a lot more sense and get the numbers far closer to what would be expected (>90% of hospitalized unvaxxed).

34 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

That’s weird, the graphic says 530 total patients, but only breaks down the vax status of 284.  Is it possible the 284 doesn’t include patients who didn’t provide vax status (and are overwhelmingly likely to be unvaxxed)?  That to me would make a lot more sense and get the numbers far closer to what would be expected (>90% of hospitalized unvaxxed).

Yes, that's possible.  I wish they publicized this data more, including how it was collected.  

47 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Not really, it just sort of looks that way because:

and if you read the thread, you'll see that this was followed by Nate Silver insisting on himself in response, and it went about like you would expect. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Not really, it just sort of looks that way because:

and if you read the thread, you'll see that this was followed by Nate Silver insisting on himself in response, and it went about like you would expect. 

The epi clique been dunking on Nate over that one.  In all fairness, Nate has had a lot of reasonable takes, some very foolish.  Same with  the epitwitter.  But they hate his fucking guts.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think its great if there are studies of ivermectin but I'm skeptical when some doctors are calling it a miracle cure. It could very well help lessen COVID but I have faith that the pharma industry would be hyping it if they really believed that.

It's mindblowing how people are latching themselves onto HCQ or ivermectin as miracles when the real scientific breakthroughs are the vaccines and some simple behavioral changes.

I guess people want to do nothing until they're extremely sick and then they want the medical community to quickly cure them. Of course you see this with normal healthcare issues as well. I want to eat, drink whatever I want, perform no exercise, gain 100 lbs, and then do you have a pill that will end this diabetes and heart problems?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I guess people want to do nothing until they're extremely sick and then they want the medical community to quickly cure them. Of course you see this with normal healthcare issues as well. I want to eat, drink whatever I want, perform no exercise, gain 100 lbs, and then do you have a pill that will end this diabetes and heart problems?

Yeah, not surprising.  These dipshits will get all sorts of experimental shit when they crash in the hospital, but a little mRNA that degrades in a few weeks is a bridge too fucking far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

78.  So a 40% DOD increase.  Which is totally fucking cool. 

Nice..... Well where I live the university is bringing all the kiddos back. I expect the surrounding counties are going to be adding to the number in Austin.

River in San Marcos- Packed. 

outlet malls- Packed. 

The Square- Packed, and not at full capacity. 

Again, I do apologize. 

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Sometimes I wonder what Kramer would have done about the vaccine had it been Covid-91 instead of Covid-19.  He was prone to conspiracy theories, but also had a lot of hookups and could have gotten the vaccine earlier than anyone else in the city through Lomez or Bob Saccamano.  He didn't believe in Eastern medicine or drugs, but he was probably the one of the four most willing to do try to help other people.  He was in relatively good health, but also led the most bizarre fucking lifestyle of any of 'em.    

I suspect we'll know soon enough what George would have done when the new season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" returns later this year.  

He'd have been a denier, at least initially.  But he and Newman would have stolen a package of vaccine vials from a refrigerated mail truck and would be vaccinating people on the sly for money.  But they're bad at it and when Newman is trying to stick a squirmy, scared adult recipient, he misses and gives the shot to Kramer.  Cue slap bass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Next time I get heartworm pills for my dogs, I'll tell the vet i need them for my new dog who is 6'2" and 185 pounds.

Just get the paste with apple flavoring. The marks on the side measure out the doses per 50 pounds of horseflesh. From my upcoming book, The things I learned on SECrant.

• Haha 2