COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

26 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Drinking 12 packs and smoking heaters doesn’t send proximate grandma to the ER unless you’re doing it in the bedroom with her.  Also it doesn’t prevent her from getting critical care when she needs it, because there are icu beds available.  But you’re a mouth breathing moron so I wouldn’t expect you’d understand any of that.   Are you really this dumb, or did the Canadians hire you to troll us?  

If granny has the vax, Covid isn’t any more dangerous than any other upper respiratory virus.  

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If granny has the vax, Covid isn’t any more dangerous than any other upper respiratory virus.  

Wrong. It’s less dangerous than prior to vax. I have seen plenty of olds die from Covid post vax. But the numbers are so much less than prior to vaccine.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’m fully vaxxed.  Don’t give a shit if others are or not.  It’s their choice to be stupid.  

These vaccines aren’t like MMR or polio that basically prevent transmission to others.  The chief benefit is protecting the infected from death.  

The vax does mitigate transmission to others, both by limiting the number of active infections at any given time and place, and by reducing the length and severity of infection so that people are less infectious for a shorter amount of time. 

• Like 1

@956 Worldwide 

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/oha-drafting-new-indoor-mask-rules/283-4092d773-8a1d-4800-96de-bc96b208701e

SALEM, Ore. — The Oregon Health Authority’s Rules Advisory Committee met on Thursday to begin the process of drafting a permanent set of rules for the state’s indoor mask requirement. OHA lifted Oregon’s outdoor mask mandate last week, but separate mask rules for indoor spaces, schools and healthcare settings all remain in place.

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

@956 Worldwide 

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/oha-drafting-new-indoor-mask-rules/283-4092d773-8a1d-4800-96de-bc96b208701e

SALEM, Ore. — The Oregon Health Authority’s Rules Advisory Committee met on Thursday to begin the process of drafting a permanent set of rules for the state’s indoor mask requirement. OHA lifted Oregon’s outdoor mask mandate last week, but separate mask rules for indoor spaces, schools and healthcare settings all remain in place.

That shit is insane.  It’s not the bubonic plague.  Get the vax if you’re an adult.  And then ignore it and move on with life.  

• Hook 'Em 3

The vax does mitigate transmission to others, both by limiting the number of active infections at any given time and place, and by reducing the length and severity of infection so that people are less infectious for a shorter amount of time. 

The more people vaxxed, the better it is for every one else. The public health benefits are exponential. If only 50% of the public ever got a polio and measles vax, that shit would always be around, mutating at a more frequent rate, and having breakthrough vaccinations.

We should absolutely require all eligible citizens who enjoy public spaces to get the covid vaccination.

The more people vaxxed, the better it is for every one else. The public health benefits are exponential. If only 50% of the public ever got a polio and measles vax, that shit would always be around, mutating at a more frequent rate, and having breakthrough vaccinations.

We should absolutely require all eligible citizens who enjoy public spaces to get the covid vaccination.

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is this true?  Not trying to argue, just curious.  Europe seems to be, by far, the most vaxxed, but also is seeing the most new cases currently.  I do see where the % of deaths is much smaller compared to the positive cases, FWIW.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Is this true?  Not trying to argue, just curious.  Europe seems to be, by far, the most vaxxed, but also is seeing the most new cases currently.  I do see where the % of deaths is much smaller compared to the positive cases, FWIW.

The last part of what you said is the whole point. UK hospitalized has decoupled from cases so it’s not over-taxing their healthcare system. Meanwhile, this shit is about to happen again here because vaccines have become a political issue in this moronic country. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

And just to address the point about re: vaccinated transmission, European countries are definitely more vaxed than the US, but they’re not at the level of a country like Japan. Japan is at 80% vaxed and are down to around 1-2 deaths per day in the entire population. 

22 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

If this shit was materially dangerous to the vaccinated I could be persuaded on vaccines.  It isn’t.  And plenty of vaccinated people spread this shit any way.  The main benefit of the vaccine is is almost entirely eliminates the chance of death or serious injury.  

So, think of it this way: it’s possible that Omicron is mild because it picked up a snippet of the coronavirus that causes the common cold. So vacxed people can catch it but don’t get very sick. Good for us.  

So let’s say it goes everywhere, including into an unvaccinated person who can’t clear it and stays sick. 

So let’s say they sit in the hospital for a while. While there, they are exposed to another very lethal but not very tranmissible strain. And it kills them. But before it does, they produce a hybrid that is both highly lethal and  and highly effective at immune escape. And they give it to a nurse, who gives it to 3 people, and they each give it to 3 people.

This isn’t just possible. This is as likely as it getting milder.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

The last part of what you said is the whole point. UK hospitalized has decoupled from cases so it’s not over-taxing their healthcare system. Meanwhile, this shit is about to happen again here because vaccines have become a political issue in this moronic country. 

half this country has oppositional defiance disorder 😵🙄

mark-wahlberg-youre-not-my-boss.gif

Just now, 52-80 said:

context? the context is that there are places with outdoor mask restriction and similar draconian measure, and for any reasonable observer it is a farce of a response

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/we-are-not-virus-two-tier-delta-lockdowns-divide-sydney-2021-08-10/

I'm referring to that picture.  Can you tell me exactly what is happening in the picture?  

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I'm referring to that picture.  Can you tell me exactly what is happening in the picture?  

do you want timestamp, lat-long, names, height, and blood type of persons in the picture?

its a picture.  it illustrates a concept.  like an article on anything using a stock picture - not an actual picture of the actual thing.  the question preceding that picture is "how can [outdoor mask] be enforced"?  they can by sending police around looking for people.

what are you getting at - that this doesnt happen?

you want an actual picture with accompanying story?

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/moment-police-arrest-maskless-man-in-sydney-covid19-hotspot/news-story/558f7b3d136ca6fb302312cf0f45643f

2759d14645d98d3514e60ecbcc14c2e2

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

You're literally pulling shit from the opposite side of the planet to complain about the situation in the US?  

You're not complaining about Japan comparisons literally a few posts up?  This is how discussions evolve in normal every day life

<Trigger Warning>

Rant about convoluted SARS-CoV-2 responses / policy:

• My sainted mother is in pain and is trying to get to an out-of-town doctor tomorrow (Tuesday)
  • She's been vaxxed and boosted
  • The doctor's office requires a precisely timed negative PCR Covid-19 test to come to the office that must be no more than 72 hours old but results must be to the office by 3 p.m. Monday
  • She goes to CVS early Saturday morning, gets tested - of course the promised 1-2-day deadline is missed, and she's going to have to reschedule and continue to suffer
  • She has no reason to believe she has covid-19, she's not exactly hitting bars and games every day, and she has zero symptoms

What makes no sense:

• I guess the doctor's office does not really believe the vaccines work
  • I guess the doctor's office does not really believe masks work

Rant over.

</Trigger Warning>

4 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

<Trigger Warning>

• My sainted mother is in pain and is trying to get to an out-of-town doctor tomorrow (Tuesday)
  • The doctor's office requires a precisely timed negative PCR Covid-19 test to come to the office that must be no more than 72 hours old but results must be to the office by 3 p.m. Monday
  • She goes to CVS early Saturday morning, gets tested - of course the promised 1-2-day deadline is missed, and she's going to have to reschedule and continue to suffer
  • She has no reason to believe she has covid-19, she's not exactly hitting bars and games every day, and she has zero symptoms

What makes no sense:

Rant over.

</Trigger Warning>

Well…fuck that doctor…?

If they’re gonna be that fucked up about their operations, then why would you give a shit about maintaining an appointment or hearing their medical opinion about…anything. 

On 12/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

So, think of it this way: it’s possible that Omicron is mild because it picked up a snippet of the coronavirus that causes the common cold. So vacxed people can catch it but don’t get very sick. Good for us.  

So let’s say it goes everywhere, including into an unvaccinated person who can’t clear it and stays sick. 

So let’s say they sit in the hospital for a while. While there, they are exposed to another very lethal but not very tranmissible strain. And it kills them. But before it does, they produce a hybrid that is both highly lethal and  and highly effective at immune escape. And they give it to a nurse, who gives it to 3 people, and they each give it to 3 people.

This isn’t just possible. This is as likely as it getting milder.

Except this is not how viral transmission works. They virtually always get more transmissible and less deadly. It's called evolution. So let's say stick to science.

• Like 1

Except this is not how viral transmission works. They virtually always get more transmissible and less deadly. It's called evolution. So let's say stick to science.

Was delta more transmissible and less deadly? No.

You are totally correct as far as the long term trends of those traits as the virus evolves. It is not, however, a smooth curve.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What makes no sense:
Rant over.

Warning>

Agreed. I would expect no doctors to ever use simplistic, binary evaluations such as work/doesn’t work, because science.

Promising data. And I emphasize early data but it further shows promising mitigation of the virulence of the Omicron variant vs Delta. How this applies to our way obese, unhealthy and largely unvaccinated populations? Not sure but S. Africa's immunization rates suck worse than BFE county Texas. We should know more from S. Africa in the next couple of weeks. 

Omicron Variant Early Features

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

We gonna start doing the 2021 version of chicken pox parties with Omicron?

What I don't get is that "they" are saying previous Delta doesn't mean immunity from Omicron. So I would take that to mean previous Omicron doesn't mean immunity from Delta. So are we essentially going to have twinadoes of virus going around?