COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Super weird.  There was most certainly a tweet there earlier from Bloomberg with the exact thing you posted about.  I guess the powers that be made it disappear or something.  

This one...

Now it appears.  You must have stopped touching yourself.

Edited by South Austin
derp

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What if we would like to discuss the lyrical brilliance of the Chili Peppers' "Californication," and how music can heal everything, even COVID?  What about that, smart guy?

pfft.   Woody Guthrie, Billy Bragg and Wilco want to rest their weary head tonight.  

"California Stars" may well be the most famous Woody Guthrie song he never recorded. The iconic songwriter died in 1967, but his songs found new life 30 years later, after his daughter Nora uncovered thousands of his unrecorded lyrics. She got in touch with British singer Billy Bragg and the band Wilco, who put music to many of these unheard songs and released them in a series of collections called "Mermaid Avenue".

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Well don't I feel stupid drinking a gallon of piss a day when i could just loaded a bowl. 

Speaking of smoking weed and drinking urine.  Does piss make you more thirsty or less thirsty?  Don’t really partake in weed but the times I did, I probably said, “I’m so parched, I could drink piss!”  Would that have made me double-protected from Covid?  Or just a really thirsty guy who smelled bad?  Or someone running for office?  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I agree.  Just passing along the anecdotal sentiment of a few dozen folks I’ve heard from on campus.  I would think the vaccine/boosting trailer they had last semester would be open and running full power right now.  But it’s not.  Maybe it’s a staffing issue.  
unless they’re wanting to do in person office hours, they really won’t have much interaction with students for the next three weeks.  I agree about the watered down experience. 

The reality of it is most of them, if they are in susceptible and worried, almost assuredly already had a booster.  And likely had it 3-4 months ago and have seen that it doesn't stop infections and reportedly wears off in 10-12 weeks.  That probably contributes to the fear.

IMO, we can't keep boost, boost, boosting to try and play "hide and seek" from infection.  Everyone is going to get it eventually and if you're vaccinated, Omicron is the one to get.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder how under reported Omicron positives are?

Anecdotally, I know a few dozen people who have tested positive for Covid over the last month using home tests.  They recovered and went on about their lives, but no medical professional tested them, so they wouldn't be included in any official count.

FWIW, most of these people believe they got the Omicron because their symptoms match up with those reported for Omicron out of South Africa. (mostly upper respiratory symptoms and lacking the chest/lung pain and lost of taste/smell associated with Alpha and Delta)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BTW said:

I bet a shitload, because many were probably asymptomatic or had mild symptoms back in December before Omicron really took off.  And I'm sure there are a lot of folks these days who get mild symptoms, figure it's Omicron, but for a variety of reasons (e.g., they work from home, have no kids, don't give two fucks, etc.) they don't bother getting tested.

Edit:  To clarify, I think a lot of people aren't even taking an at-home test.  They figure they probably have it, and don't see any reason to confirm with any kind of test.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BTW said:

Anecdotally, I know a few dozen people who have tested positive for Covid over the last month using home tests.  They recovered and went on about their lives, but no medical professional tested them, so they wouldn't be included in any official count.

FWIW, most of these people believe they got the Omicron because their symptoms match up with those reported for Omicron out of South Africa. (mostly upper respiratory symptoms and lacking the chest/lung pain and lost of taste/smell associated with Alpha and Delta)

I am one of the under counted.  Tested positive at home on the 1st.  Minor symptoms but fuck I still am dealing with fatigue and a damn cough.   

29 minutes ago, BTW said:

Same.  Know a whole shit load of people that popped on a home test.  Shit, our pediatrician emailed us and told us not to call them or come in for a PCR if we popped a home test.  They said you assume the positive is accurate and only call us if there is a need beyond just testing. 

According to KXAN or something, Austin Public Health has a number to call to report a positive home test. Yeah, you call because apparently this is 1982 or something.

Being the good citizen I am, I called to report my son's positive. 

But they actually don't have that listed as one of the options on the recorded menu, and then whichever button you push, you're just on hold forever and ever. Good work getting good data, everyone. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Super weird.  There was most certainly a tweet there earlier from Bloomberg with the exact thing you posted about.  I guess the powers that be made it disappear or something.  

This one...

So long haired freaky people need not wear masks?

Welp day four or so of Covid.  Kids are sick. My boy caught pink eye to go along with it.  Nothing too bad they're just feeling puny. Low-grade fever plus flu symptoms.   My wife and I are making it ok.

I am just extremely fatigued.  Worn out.  I thought about going for an evening walk to get some fresh air.  Made it about 200 yards and decided to head back.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Welp, good friends kid popped positive. Prior COVID, fully vaccinated, gets a ride on the omicron go round. 

my report - 2nd pfizer vax treated me way worse than CRON has. i guess that is what is supposed to happen is

Edited by staboner

17 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Welp day four or so of Covid.  Kids are sick. My boy caught pink eye to go along with it.  Nothing too bad they're just feeling puny. Low-grade fever plus flu symptoms.   My wife and I are making it ok.

I am just extremely fatigued.  Worn out.  I thought about going for an evening walk to get some fresh air.  Made it about 200 yards and decided to head back.  

We've got type A flu in this house. Took 4 days to get results. Every covid test negative

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Damn, pink-eye is an old school Covid symptom/concurrent infection from wild type. Respect. 

• Haha 1

There was a great bit years ago from a comic who was not that funny to begin with but he talks about his son getting pink eye and him trying to calmly explain it away at Kindergarten to the teacher like, 'Yeah, he just really wanted to see his farts.  Any homework I should take back with us?' 

Checking in as +.

Outside of being tired for 2 days and a sore throat, the only pain in the ass was the brain fog yesterday that went away by 4-5 pm. I couldn’t remember shit most of the morning unless I wrote it down. It started fading mid afternoon and by early evening was gone.

JnJ showing its muscle!

Wife has it to, she’s basically had very very mild flu like symptoms hers started before mine and still continue but nothing crazy. Same JnJ. We both got it back in March.

Wife and I have something. Test scheduled for the morning. Both Pfizer X2, but no boosters. I got my flu shot back in September/October. So far I seem to be getting it worse with aches, chills, pounding headache and fever. Basically everything I felt after the second shot except ramped up.

I think I have a breakthrough case as well. This is day 2. Fully vaxxed/boosted with Pfizer.

Slight congestion/coughing/sneezing, but this brain fog is weird. I'm not sure "fatigue" is the right word to describe it. I'm not tired, but it's as if I'm not fully awake.

My family had it last week and we’ve all recovered. For me it felt like a cold with low-grade fever, some aches and a runny nose. Lasted about 1.5 days and I was back to normal. It was harder on the wife, she lost her sense of smell and taste, but has since gotten them back. Both J & J single shot vaxed last April with no boosters. Our 4 year old daughter shook it off I like it was nothing and just had fever for a few days. 

8 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

Relatively certain I have finally caught the Rona. Buddy of mine I golfed with (and drank at the 19th hole) Saturday tested positive Monday morning. Now I'm tired, congested, and have had a pretty bad headache the last 24 hours.

Is it even worth trying to schedule a test if symptoms don't get worse?

Unless there is reason for you to seek treatment I don’t see the point. Just treat it as if you have it and stay in. 

56 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Any of you with breakthrough cases who had the "brain fog," how long until it went away?

Four of my office mates have had it in the last week that also complained of the brain fog and they are reporting about a week to get over most of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quite a few of the smaller school districts in the North Texas area are closing for a few days, primarily due to staff shortages and not enough subs.

Larger districts like mine have so far been able to stay open, but the substitute system is getting stretched real thin, and we are dealing with lots of bus delays. Substitute bus drivers aren't exactly readily available in the best of times.

Kid cases are way up, but most kids seem to shake it off after a few days. Staff shortages and subs are going to be the primary reason for any school closures.

The reality of it is most of them, if they are in susceptible and worried, almost assuredly already had a booster.  And likely had it 3-4 months ago and have seen that it doesn't stop infections and reportedly wears off in 10-12 weeks.  That probably contributes to the fear.
IMO, we can't keep boost, boost, boosting to try and play "hide and seek" from infection.  Everyone is going to get it eventually and if you're vaccinated, Omicron is the one to get.  

YO is wrong. Given that COVID antibodies after infection also wear off. The difference is vaccinated people aren’t inundating our hospitals.

Purposely getting infected with Omicron is less effective than when doctors gave patients small doses of live smallpox to build immunity, back in the 18th century.

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

YO is wrong. Given that COVID antibodies after infection also wear off. The difference is vaccinated people aren’t inundating our hospitals.

Purposely getting infected with Omicron is less effective than when doctors gave patients small doses of live smallpox to build immunity, back in the 18th century.

Where in the world did I say don't get vaccinated?  I'm talking about people who are vaccinated and likely boosted still playing hide and seek.  As you say, people who are not inundating our hospitals.  

They can either continue to play and seek, which IMO, is not a long term strategy.  Ot they can stomach the risk of getting the vaccinated + booster version of Omicron.  

The latter is a much better way to live life IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

"Omicron, with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility, will ultimately find just about everybody," Dr. Anthony Fauci told J. Stephen Morrison, senior vice president of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "Those who have been vaccinated ... and boosted would get exposed. Some, maybe a lot of them, will get infected but will very likely, with some exceptions, do reasonably well in the sense of not having hospitalization and death."

56 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Where in the world did I say don't get vaccinated?  I'm talking about people who are vaccinated and likely boosted still playing hide and seek.  As you say, people who are not inundating our hospitals.  

They can either continue to play and seek, which IMO, is not a long term strategy.  Ot they can stomach the risk of getting the vaccinated + booster version of Omicron.  

The latter is a much better way to live life IMO.

How dare you, you fucking asshole!!?! Everybody must hide in their basement, all by themselves, and tripple-masked!

1 minute ago, Bookman said:

I'd just like to give a shoutout to all the unvaxxed snowflakes who are too scared to get vaccinated during a pandemic. You're a big the reason this shit is still around.

Wait, that's a thing now?  Unvaccinated people are saying that now -- after a year of vaccine availability and during a much less virulent strain -- they're all of a sudden scared to get the shot?

• Haha 1