COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

8 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Not that anyone should need more proof on the efficacy of vaccines, but to further illustrate the point, some trends in NYC and Seattle during the recent Omicron surge.

Yep, it couldn’t be any more obvious. The info below is the latest trend in the UK, which is roughly a month or more ahead of the U.S. Daily cases are basically 3x the same time last year and hospitalizations are half. We should be out of this in a few weeks here.

601452B0-FC3A-41E1-814C-4635CA53B4E6.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

On the whole I’d take a state government that supports public health measures to combat the pandemic, even if I generally disagree with its approach, rather than one that at the very best is lukewarm and at worst actively opposes them. I’ve been back to Texas six times during the pandemic and observed quite a striking contrast. It’s been hard for my family and friends, especially those with young kids, to navigate things, and I feel for them. 

What are you worried about young kids for?

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

Johnson City ISD schools closed tomorrow. Not enough teachers or pupils.

My wife makes a trek one day a week to do contract work for the district. She's typically the only masked villain in the city limits. Often hearing that the virus doesn't exist and don't get the booster, it changes your DNA.

If they had been masked up they wouldn’t have Covid.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What are you worried about young kids for?

I’m not. But my friends who have been pregnant or have had kids over the past two years sure have been, particularly in states that decided COVID was over in summer 2020, and I’m not one to tell them otherwise. 

To be clear, California’s prohibitionist policies have been disastrous on young people, particularly minorities, which is a huge reason for why I was originally railing against the state’s and local authorities’ inability to embrace harm reductionist policies to prepare for the long term. But having lived most of my life in Texas, I’ve never seen its governance at the state level as much of a model for anything, and certainly not this pandemic. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

I’m not. But my friends who have been pregnant or have had kids over the past two years sure have been, particularly in states that decided COVID was over in summer 2020, and I’m not one to tell them otherwise. 

Tell your friends that kids have a greater chance of dying in a household appliance accident than from covid.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I happily take a place that leaves things to jurisdictional deference and doesn’t disable businesses from operating.   Let the people decide whether or not they want to understand the seriousness of the issue while operating a modestly normal life rather than a system confusing people to the point where they are afraid to walk out side and breath fresh air.   

Abbott did that? When?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

Wife's PCR came back negative. Just some random upper respiratory stuff (or it's COVID and the PCR didn't catch it). But she's 5 days out from symptoms tomorrow and feeling fine, if a bit tired. So we're still in the proverbial dodgeball game. I have to go to a funeral in Troup, Texas tomorrow though. So the sheriff may be near.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

God damn, you can really tell who hasn't been to California in the past two years, and who just blindly believes their news sources that everywhere is San Francisco.

Tell me what makes the parts outside of SF better, in terms of covid-related public health policy?

Edited by Anastasis

Just now, StruggleBus said:

San Fran is a fucking shithole. Shame really, it used to be an awesome place. 

I like the visit.  Had to talk the wife down when we took an ill advised path back from our brunch spot and were surrounded by people shooting up on door steps, passed out in the street, and hookers trying to suck a dick in the middle of the sidewalk for a hit. It was like 11:30AM. But other than all that, had a total blast.

Totally looking to CA for public health policy hints though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Tell me what makes the parts outside of SF better, in terms of covid-related public health policy?

I didn't say that CA is handling public policy any better or worse than anywhere else. Just pushing back on the idea that, statewide, we're all triple-masking and "afraid to step outside" Just like everywhere else, different districts have different protocols. I haven't worn a mask outside once in two years, was always in the majority when I was out, and wasn't even given any dirty looks. Businesses haven't been closed since the initial "everybody freak out" stage. I've been to half a dozen other states, and policies--and adherence to--were virtually indistinguishable...okay, maybe except for Mississippi.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I haven't worn a mask outside once in two years, was always in the majority when I was out, and wasn't even given any dirty looks. Businesses haven't been closed since the initial "everybody freak out" stage. I've been to half a dozen other states, and policies--and adherence to--were virtually indistinguishable...okay, maybe except for Mississippi.

Seriously? We had an outdoor mask mandate until May 2021. I don’t know how you got around that but all the more power to you. I ended up spending $30 on a spiffy Under Armour mask to go running and hiking. 

4 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Seriously? We had an outdoor mask mandate until May 2021. I don’t know how you got around that but all the more power to you. I ended up spending $30 on a spiffy Under Armour mask to go running and hiking. 

I guess it's probably two completely separate conversations: what official policy technically is, and what's enforced vs. "encouraged" and what general public adherence is.

5 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Think of all the lives you saved. We thank you for your service.

Even for Californians; it could always be worse. You could be Quebec.

I was in Cali for 2 weeks last June to do a face to face with clients. Went to a dodgers game, went and stayed at the Marina in Venice. Was pretty tame. People were wearing masks, but at no time was the level more than say in Austin. At the dodgers game you did have to prove your vaccine status (both doses) if you wanted to not sit in a special quarantine area. Worst place I have seen since the Pandemic started is Arkansas (last fall) and north Texas a few weeks ago. Went to my mom's funeral with a lot of olds attending. ONly people wearing masks were my father, my kids, me and the USAF Honor Guard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

An Aggy from California is a voice of calm reason on Surly…wtf is going on here?

Half the Lincoln Riley to USC thread was posters with political vendettas arguing with a straight face that, even pulling in high seven or even eight figures, they would rather live in Norman, OK than Los Angeles. When it comes to anything relating to do with California, the bar for reason is on the floor.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

^

Yeah, that was a really bizarre couple days worth of posts on that thread...even for 2021 and our political divide.  First few, I thought it was some inside joke I wasn't in on (as per usual).  But nope, even with the means to live very comfortably in Southern California, people would rather stay in Oklahoma...because politics.  I can't even wrap my head around having to live in a place like Oklahoma or Alabama or North Dakota for work or family reasons.  Let alone choosing to live there with a $5mm+ paycheck and being young and single.  Other than Texas, there's really not a lot of great 'red states' to live in (no CR, just talking QofL).  Charleston, SC, parts of Utah, parts of Idaho, Asheville/Far East Tennessee, and that's about it outside the Lone Star State.  That's not CR, just a lesson in Geography.  

Back to Texas stats...heard rumblings on Monday around campus that the UT-virtual deal may extend past the end of January.  A lot more students are heading back to campus this week than they anticipated.  Mainly because the students already paid for the room & board, so they're going to take advantage.  Just because they won't be together in classrooms...they'll still be together in all other facets of campus life.  Don't know if it's gonna happen or not, but wouldn't be surprised it extended to mid-February.  Boosters are being strongly encouraged for all students.  Obviously no mandates, but faculty and staff are worried sick...many of whom are in susceptible populations.  

31 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Half the Lincoln Riley to USC thread was posters with political vendettas arguing with a straight face that, even pulling in high seven or even eight figures, they would rather live in Norman, OK than Los Angeles. When it comes to anything relating to do with California, the bar for reason is on the floor.

Lots of people would rather live in a smaller town with a chit load of cash.  We have offices in LA and Thousands Oaks/Calabasas area.  LA is a hot mess.  The traffic, the homeless, the crime, the taxes.

Now this is for us.  Citizens.  Not CEOs or coaches.  USC is 100% a better gig that OU, but that is a separate conversation.  

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

An Aggy from California is a voice of calm reason on Surly…wtf is going on here?

I may have pent up resentment from two years of my dad's dumbass wife from Arizona making dumbass comments like, "Are they letting you outside yet?" every time they call, and awarding herself with a nice, condescending laugh. Meanwhile, my wife and I are looking at each other trying to figure out what the fuck she's talking about. Then, you remember what news channel they have on 24/7, and it's like, "Oh...right. Good one."

34 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That was an all-timer.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I may have pent up resentment from two years of my dad's dumbass wife from Arizona making dumbass comments like, "Are they letting you outside yet?" every time they call, and awarding herself with a nice, condescending laugh. Meanwhile, my wife and I are looking at each other trying to figure out what the fuck she's talking about. Then, you remember what news channel they have on 24/7, and it's like, "Oh...right. Good one."

That was an all-timer.

I don't get it.  Does she mean you can't go outside because of Covid?  Because of the "crime wave"?  Or because you're an Aggie?  

I am as conservative as any one on here.  And California is one of my very favorite places to live.  I don't care for the big, crowded cities (but I don't like them much anywhere). But there are a lot of places I would love to live out there.  Indian Wells in the winter.  Santa Barbara, central coast, Carmel.  Just fantastic if you have the money.

Would not be my choice of a place to live without 8 figures liquid.

• Hook 'Em 1

There really are so many wonderful places to live there if you have the budget.  And in hindsight, the people there weren't really as bad I remember them (lived in the East Bay Area and Sacramento way back when).  It's a massive fucking state...just like Texas-there are people of all stripes demographically and politically.  But yeah like Sack, I don't think I could ever live in San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, or Los Angeles proper.  But there are "suburbs" and mid-size cities near those places that are fantastic.  Nevermind the national parks, wine country, and beaches.  And if you want more conservative solace, everything North of Santa Rosa-Sacramento, Stockton to Simi Valley and all points East of that line, plus most of San Diego.  That's an area and population larger than Florida.  

I think a lot of "Oklahoma over California any day" crowd has probably only experienced Disneyland or Universal Studios by way of the airport Radisson.  Yeah it's a shitty place to start a business but I think Reilly was going there to draw up plays on a dry erase board and yell at people on a field.  I couldn't do what I do in California right now, but I could sure as shit enjoy retirement in Santa Barbara, Sonoma, or Tahoe.   Plus the idea of old age with Oklahoma's health care system terrifies the shit out of me.  

This tangent is not my fault for the record (for once)

Back to Covid stats.  Peak Omicron in about 1-2 more weeks?  With the overall flare burning for another month or so?  

36 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

$10M+ liquid seems excessive.  Give me $3M in property and $2-4M liquid and I'll find a way to enjoy the weather.

To each, their own.

You're probably right. Depends on your expenses.  You have a bunch of kids and a wife who spends a bunch, and I would want more of a cushion.

I love California though.  Beautiful state and perfect weather.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am as conservative as any one on here.  And California is one of my very favorite places to live.  I don't care for the big, crowded cities (but I don't like them much anywhere). But there are a lot of places I would love to live out there.  Indian Wells in the winter.  Santa Barbara, central coast, Carmel.  Just fantastic if you have the money.

Would not be my choice of a place to live without 8 figures liquid.

Well yea. My conservative leaning friends in CA live in Santa Barbara and Monterey Peninsula. California weather but less of the crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Obviously no mandates, but faculty and staff are worried sick...many of whom are in susceptible populations.  

Then they need to get their boosters.   And if they so choose they can wear N95's on campus.  Or they can quit and live the rest of their lives at home.  There is never going to be zero risk and the virus is going to continue to circulate.  If I were paying college tuition for a kid right now I would be pretty pissed off with Covid fear continuing to water down the college experience.  At least Texas isn't as bad as the absolute nonsense in the Northeast (mandatory boosters, mandatory testing of asymptomatic and mandatory quarantines for positives).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Then they need to get their boosters.   And if they so choose they can wear N95's on campus.  Or they can quit and live the rest of their lives at home.  There is never going to be zero risk and the virus is going to continue to circulate.  If I were paying college tuition for a kid right now I would be pretty pissed off with Covid fear continuing to water down the college experience.  At least Texas isn't as bad as the absolute nonsense in the Northeast (mandatory boosters, mandatory testing of asymptomatic and mandatory quarantines for positives).

I agree.  Just passing along the anecdotal sentiment of a few dozen folks I’ve heard from on campus.  I would think the vaccine/boosting trailer they had last semester would be open and running full power right now.  But it’s not.  Maybe it’s a staffing issue.  
unless they’re wanting to do in person office hours, they really won’t have much interaction with students for the next three weeks.  I agree about the watered down experience. 

29 minutes ago, blacklab said:

If you'd like to discuss california you are free to do it on another thread. If you discuss here you will not be free to discuss anything for a day or two anywhere on the site

What if we would like to discuss the lyrical brilliance of the Chili Peppers' "Californication," and how music can heal everything, even COVID?  What about that, smart guy?

Screw the vaccine, let's all get high.

Cannabis Compounds Prevented Covid Infection in Laboratory Study

Cannabis compounds prevented the virus that causes Covid-19 from penetrating healthy human cells, according to a laboratory study published in the Journal of Nature Products. 

The two compounds commonly found in hemp -- called cannabigerolic acid, or CBGA, and cannabidiolic acid, or CBDA -- were identified during a chemical screening effort as having potential to combat coronavirus, researchers from Oregon State University said. In the study, they bound to spike proteins found on the virus and blocked a step the pathogen uses to infect people.

Link

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, blacklab said:

If you'd like to discuss california you are free to do it on another thread. If you discuss here you will not be free to discuss anything for a day or two anywhere on the site

Hmm, he didn't say which thread you could discuss it on. The Port Aransas thread is about to get super confusing for a lot of people. 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Nothing shows up on my screen except blankness, my dude.  Both on laptop and phone.

Super weird.  There was most certainly a tweet there earlier from Bloomberg with the exact thing you posted about.  I guess the powers that be made it disappear or something.  

This one...

Edited by Trey3216