COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

18 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Good friend's work makes her do a rapid everyday and has been for the past 2 weeks. All negative. She has been on her ass for about a week. All signs of covid. Two colleagues came down positive. Of course work says you tested negative, get back to your ward. Now a few of the kids she treats have it. What a shit show. 

50 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

One of the tests is likely wrong.🙂

Could actually be a false negative. My daughter goes to college in Scotland but got exposed the day she got boosted, after she came home. 3 days later, she was mildly symptomatic and took a test the way they are instructed in Europe: by swabbing the nose, then throat. The test came up clearly positive. She took a second test with a nasal swab only, and it was negative. Omicron is apparently more detectable via throat swab, and you can be symptomatic while successfully fighting off an infection and keeping viral load low.

Daughter fully recovered and tested negative 5 days later, and of the rest of us got it, btw- both my wife and I were boosted in November and my younger daughter got her second vax dose in July.
Since then the younger has been in repeated close contact at work, school and indoors at homes with friends and co-workers who had it, doing typical 15 year old shit within reason. Still negative.  
The moral of the story: vaccines work.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Someone finally got it. 

One of my law partners got me with this yesterday morning, and later in the day when I still was under the impression he tested positive, he literally had to take my phone and enlarge the image for me. 

And for the record, my thumbs are much more attractive.  Before I went to law school, I was hand model.

Youngest grandson (age 11) who was exposed to the Covid at his school several days ago and has stayed home this week tested positive twice now.
He is running a light fever (100.8) and feels achy., so he’ll be at home until midweek. He had his first jab two weeks ago.
His dad & older brother both tested negative twice, but they are staying home too. Both are 2x vaxxed.
The 18 year old grandson has had to cancel two dates with his girlfriend. He is not a happy camper.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

One of my law partners got me with this yesterday morning, and later in the day when I still was under the impression he tested positive, he literally had to take my phone and enlarge the image for me. 

And for the record, my thumbs are much more attractive.  Before I went to law school, I was hand model.

Oh, I thought that was just your reflection in the plastic window.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, Don Johnson said:

There is value in just getting it over with. I’m day 6. Days 2-3 I was tired. Days 2-4 I had a very sore throat.  No congestion. No fever. 

I wasn’t really sweating it much before now. My Dec - early Jan were admittedly pretty Covid irresponsible. But it’s a weight off my shoulders to really not worry about it when I re-enter society soon  

Unfortunately my wife and 2 of 3 kids just wouldn’t test positive. One kid did and he’s asymptomatic and back at school today. 

The unexpected quarantine was the worst part for me. Well maybe not too unexpected as it’s been lingering over everyone for months just waiting to pull the rug out from under normal life. 

Other two kids dinged on Wednesday.  11 year old had a headache so we tested him - positive.  Tested 12 year old because might was well, and he was too.  11 year old's only symptom was the headache which is now gone.  12 year old hasn't had a single symptom.  Not one.

Wife can't buy a positive test and she's about to pull her hair out having to quarantine for other people.  Hell, she must've had it first around the holidays and just not know.  kids will be back in school Tuesday and we're returning to normal life at that point (I've already been back at work this week masked and 9 year old back at school all week).  

My youngest (12 yo) is now fever free (as of Thursday morning) and wife feels well enough to lecture me on how much Bourbon I own (I ended up taking like 60 odd bottles to storage as out of sight out of mind) so she seems to be on mend.

My oldest and I still tested negative so all good there.

Is interesting that unlike when my youngest had Covid June 2020 with no symptoms that his symptoms while still relatively mild (low fever, aches/pains etc) are more material.

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Is interesting that unlike when my youngest had Covid June 2020 with no symptoms that his symptoms while still relatively mild (low fever, aches/pains etc) are more material.

Saw this earlier, in terms of the symptom presentation with omicron. Not directly related to your point, but thought this was interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Saw this earlier, in terms of the symptom presentation with omicron. Not directly related to your point, but thought this was interesting. 

This  is the best thing about omicron. I haven’t caught any version yet, and I can handle fever and respiratory shit for a few days, but I’m not sure life is worth living if you can’t taste your food. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

uncle-jack-giant-hands.gif

• Haha 2

Probably the first time anyone needed to enlarge Barry.

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

This  is the best thing about omicron. I haven’t caught any version yet, and I can handle fever and respiratory shit for a few days, but I’m not sure life is worth living if you can’t taste your food. 

That brain fog with Omicron is no joke. https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/12/31/22855433/common-covid-symptom-omicron-variant-brain-fog.

Fortunately mine only lasted a day.

ofday 6ish for our house.  I feel mostly ok.  Like 80%. Wife didn't have a gThe nurseood day. I feel like she's a couple days behind me.

Two kids (6yrs old and vaxxed).  One seems like she's on the other side of it.  

My son is struggling.  Just popped 103.  Been congested and runny.  

Nurse suggested trying Sudafed today and so hopefully that helps with his symptoms.  

He had more energy last night and I was hoping he was past the worst but that was me being optimistically stupid. 

One thing I'm glad of is that my wife and I felt  bad a couple days apart so we were able to manage athe kids and shit.  

Sucks but glad we are vaxxed.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/11/2022 at 9:13 AM, babysdaddy said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59895934

masks in schools.  actually used a control group.  

"Schools where face coverings were used in October 2021 saw a reduction two to three weeks later in Covid absences from 5.3% to 3% - a drop of 2.3 percentage points.

In schools which did not use face coverings absences fell from 5.3% to 3.6% - a fall of 1.7 percentage points.

It said this was not statistically significant and the greater reduction in schools where masks were worn could be down to chance."

That's always the rub. When you have a test subject in a test environment only a portion of the time, really hard to glean causality. 

That study your referenced does not make a ton of sense because it compared a test group with Oct. 2021 data with a control group from Jan. 2021. IIRC, January was a very high numbers months, so feels like already not comparing apples to apples. Seems like a pandemic does not lend itself to comparing data from different time periods given the vacillation in community transmission rates.

David Zweig, who has done some great work on covid, did a piece in The Atlantic on how the CDC used a flawed study to encourage masking in U.S. schools.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

ofday 6ish for our house.  I feel mostly ok.  Like 80%. Wife didn't have a gThe nurseood day. I feel like she's a couple days behind me.

Nurse suggested trying Sudafed today and so hopefully that helps with his symptoms.  

He had more energy last night and I was hoping he was past the worst but that was me being optimistically stupid. 

One thing I'm glad of is that my wife and I felt  bad a couple days apart so we were able to manage athe kids and shit.  

6yo on Sudafed…like the real shit?  You have my sympathy sir 

image.gif.94b3e08e3802dbd0cd49610893adf502.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

good luck. 103 is a bit close to scary. i would maybe (internetly) nominate the combo cold meds with Tylenol and Sudafed active ingredient? working best for me at least. pure sudafed is good but could just cause the ups and downs. 

i'm with you on the 100% then 80%. i was 100% for 24 hours, now back to 80%. no symptoms other than brain fog and a faint feeling of congestion. no cough, temp, sneezing, runny nose, nothing.  wife copping it worse with congestion in head and chest. 

fingers crossed its 100% soon enough

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, staboner said:

good luck. 103 is a bit close to scary. i would maybe (internetly) nominate the combo cold meds with Tylenol and Sudafed active ingredient? working best for me at least. pure sudafed is good but could just cause the ups and downs. 

i'm with you on the 100% then 80%. i was 100% for 24 hours, now back to 80%. no symptoms other than brain fog and a faint feeling of congestion. no cough, temp, sneezing, runny nose, nothing.  wife copping it worse with congestion in head and chest. 

fingers crossed its 100% soon enough

Yep. We've switched from Mucinex to Sudafed.  Tylenol has been a constant. 

Hopefully he sleeps well tonight and feels a little better tomorrow.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

We did head colds over Christmas but my almost 3 year old developed a fever this evening. Thankfully my parents hoarded rapid tests so I guess I’ll go get some of those tomorrow.

Question. Is my toddler being a jerk at times also a symptom of Omicron? 

Seems to be. 

Well my oldest daughter (11 so shut it) tested positive. Hers was more faint but still clear by the 15 minute read time. My shit turned clearly positive in about 3 minutes. Felt like I had allergies/sinus infection (read headache and eye pressure) starting Wednesday though I slept like dog shit Tuesday night so expect that’s when it started in earnest. Feel better today than Wednesday or Thursday so hoping it stays mild. Daughter has sore throat and cough but so far nothing major so praying she stays mild.

Was boasted end of September. Took 2nd Texas Cares draw on 12/30 and was >2500.

1C0D7008-F67A-407E-A40E-4B978D437B58.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Son's teacher popped positive yesterday (she wasn't at the school yesterday).  Two or three kids are absent from his class too.  My wife has been feeling unusually tired this last week as well.  I have been feeling a bit off the last few days - just feeling a bit fatigued, muscles sore, almost like a hangover.  Wife and I are double vaxxed back in April and had COVID in January/February 2021.  Our son gave it to us via daycare.  Wife supposed to be running the half marathon on Sunday.

When we had the rona last year, the brain fog was absolutely awful - almost 3 weeks of some sort of "out of body" experience.  Currently feeling just a bit of it for the last 24 hours or so.  Kid isn't running a fever but maybe a little less energetic.  We all 3 took PCRs yesterday and should get the results back this afternoon or tomorrow.  We'll see.

Just got my test back and kid’s test back. Both negative. 3 days later. Good turnaround time on these tests 😂.

I managed to be given two take home tests and may take one this afternoon.

Man, I was initially due for my second Cares draw mid-November, right before thanksgiving…when I was traveling.  Tried to walk in CPL once during December, had a huge wait, then got caught up in Xmas stuff…then was traveling again.  

Tried yesterday at 10a yesterday, thinking I’d beat the morning fasting/testing rush…45m+ wait.  

Sorry Cares, I may not have the 1.5 hours it takes to get my blood drawn there until the 6mo mark at this rate.  

Anyone figure out their website on how to setup an appointment for Cares?  I didn’t see an easy link

They were actually super-responsive by old school email (not submitted on their site), but use the one listed on there and send an email to them directly from your email address of original registration.  They got back to me within 24 hours and I requested a new appt.  Couple hours later, I received a text to login and select a time and before the end of the week, I had the blood drawn and the results back.  Their phone lines and online submission form are for shit, send an email.  (I can't remember the specific address but it's up in this thread somewhere but also easily available on their site).

15 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Well my oldest daughter (11 so shut it) tested positive. Hers was more faint but still clear by the 15 minute read time. My shit turned clearly positive in about 3 minutes. Felt like I had allergies/sinus infection (read headache and eye pressure) starting Wednesday though I slept like dog shit Tuesday night so expect that’s when it started in earnest. Feel better today than Wednesday or Thursday so hoping it stays mild. Daughter has sore throat and cough but so far nothing major so praying she stays mild.

Was boasted end of September. Took 2nd Texas Cares draw on 12/30 and was >2500.

1C0D7008-F67A-407E-A40E-4B978D437B58.jpeg

How do those tests work? How do they get the sample? I've only used ones that have a swab that you put into the test. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

How do those tests work? How do they get the sample? I've only used ones that have a swab that you put into the test. 

Swab both nostrils for 10 seconds each. Put swab into prepackaged tube with solution and swish for 30 seconds. Tube is plastic so pinch it and pull swab out so squeezes liquid off the swab like squeezing a sponge. Then cap the tube that has a dropper on it. 4 drops into the test collector and wait 15 minutes.