Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Multiple seasons as head coach with #1 offense in football…I’m too lazy to look that up but I’m guessing outside of 1 season with Lamar, that’s bullshit. 

They keep using that phrase “great offensive mind.”  I do not think that phrase means what they think it means. 

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, nnm said:

They keep using that phrase “great offensive mind.”  I do not think that phrase means what they think it means. 

This is why I've said for decades that sportswriters are the dumbest people in the world paid to write. They have no imagination. The occasional great writer shines like the Sun among these dried turds.

It goes double for sports opinion web shows. 

"He's a great offensive mind. There's no debate about that."

Maybe you should debate against that claim to see if it holds up to scrutiny. His offense got worse at his last coaching gig. There are some uncomfortable points to make against this lazy description of Petrino as a great offensive mind.

I'm wondering if Jimbo has strapped a poison pill to himself. How much more is the real cost of firing Jimbo if they're paying Petrino millions guaranteed as well? Jimbo may have bought himself another couple of years to make what he believes is a legit run for a championship. 

Either that or he is daring them to fire him. I lean towards him being egotistical enough to belief he can prove he doesn't need Winston to win a national championship. That quality is not rare in coaches or other achievers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Saw someone on twitter say that the guy in that video also had Jimbo Fisher and Bill O'Brien as top 5 play-callers in all of college football - this season.

It's the fucking daily wire. I'm sure Liberty's play caller was top 5 as well.

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents
MemphisAg1 said:
Eh, the jury's still out on Addazio. The line performed outstanding in the LSU game. So what's the right data point, that game or the ones before it? Need a little more time for a complete evaluation. Kirby Smart struggled for several years at Georgia and then finally got it straightened out. Same thing for Dabo. 

Addazio might be a bust. Or not. Same for Petrino. Give it a bit more time to draw a fair conclusion. 
AZsportsDoc said:

My jury isn't out. That was the worst offensive line I watched last year. Besides lsu game. And it wasn't close.

And it wasn't due to the talent 

Feels a little like you're looking for a fight and it's one that I frankly don't have time for this evening. So kindly cut the **** and if you continue to come at me you'll be done here. I don't need the distraction and it seems most on this thread could do without your railing, as well. And I say that after reading PLENTY of negative opinions about the hire so that, my man, is not the issue.

With that said, you've seen Addazio for one season, complete with a health scare that coat him games and three of his top six OL out for the season by Game 6. Look, I'm certainly now in the 'jury is still out' mode on Addazio but to simply say 'the o-line sucked, terrible hire' is a lot. 

As for Petrino, you can manipulate the numbers to fit whatever narrative you'd like, just like someone could do it with stats and applying logic the other way, as well. You don't like him, others do.

I know who I've talked to in the sport and most who I respect think that dude in the OC role is still elite. We'll know soon enough, as early as this season (as in immediately) would be a fair expectation. 

No, it's not Riley or Grubb (I personally loved that one), but the idea this doesn't have the potential to be a great hire is an opinion many in the game would disagree with. High risk, high reward is probably a fair way to describe it.

I'm shocked. It took less than a day for Looch to put the word "elite" in an opinion about Petrino.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

One thing I wonder...

Was UNLV smart enough to include a buyout in his contract for a lateral move?

I really hope so... Cause that means aggy interviewed him, got turned down, kept striking out, and now, in order to get him back, likely had to offer more pay than their first offer and now also has to pay the buyout. That hire got way more expensive than it would've been 3 weeks ago 

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

One thing I wonder...

Was UNLV smart enough to include a buyout I'm his contract for a lateral move?

I really hope so... Cause that means aggy interviewed him, got turned down, kept striking out, and now, in order to get him back, likely had to offer more pay than their first offer and now also has to pay the buyout. That hire got way more expensive than it would've been 3 weeks ago 

a quick google doesn't say much on that front. but i did find this:

Entering what would have been his fourth season as the Bears' head coach, Petrino had four years remaining on a contract that pays him $275,000 annually. If reports are correct, UNLV would owe Missouri State the remaining money left on his contract.

i can't imagine there is a universe out there where Petrino got bought out by UNLV, then had no buyout language in his contract (for whatever UNLV paid) based on his job hopping history alone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I didn’t realize it was possible to have this many tools on one college staff. And not just that, but they’re all clearly on the downswing if not nadir of their careers. I’m not even mad, I’m impressed because it’s an accomplishment. Seeing the program collapse into a singularity of acrimony and ethics violations offers so much more fan engagement than just mediocrity. 

Are you an Aggie, 956? I would have never guessed it if so.

In the last round of dark days after Coach Fran, there was some pretty good gallows humor on Texags. When the program is nailed to the Tree of Woe, the maroon buzzards that appear are pretty entertaining as they squawk at the mindless worshippers below calling them potbangers and needful of testicles.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I didn’t realize it was possible to have this many tools on one college staff. And not just that, but they’re all clearly on the downswing if not nadir of their careers. I’m not even mad, I’m impressed because it’s an accomplishment. Seeing the program collapse into a singularity of acrimony and ethics violations offers so much more fan engagement than just mediocrity. 

might as well hire briles for some assistant head coach duties to complete the staff now 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I do think that Fisher could have put the program together for a decent run at the CFP if he had hired a real OC in about year 2. 

Agree with this.  Hell probably even last offseason.  He had a long window where he could have stepped back and hired a modern OC and let him do his job while the boosters bought 5 stars for him to play with.  After this past year and toxicity around the program he had no chance.  The only reason he hired Petrino is that there wasn't a single quality OC in America that wants to eventually be a HC that would take the job.  Petrino will be 62 when spring ball starts.  This is 1 last pay day before retirement for him.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

56 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Agree with this.  Hell probably even last offseason.  He had a long window where he could have stepped back and hired a modern OC and let him do his job while the boosters bought 5 stars for him to play with.  After this past year and toxicity around the program he had no chance.  The only reason he hired Petrino is that there wasn't a single quality OC in America that wants to eventually be a HC that would take the job.  Petrino will be 62 when spring ball starts.  This is 1 last pay day before retirement for him.  

It's almost as if this is some sort of "trend" in that program....

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I see they had to sneak in famous Texas A&M QB Lamar Jackson on the announcement edit 

It's such a strange flex. Never would I point to VY as an endorsement of Greg Davis' coaching abilities. It's the opposite. 

1 minute ago, Kwix said:

It's such a strange flex. Never would I point to VY as an endorsement of Greg Davis' coaching abilities. It's the opposite. 

We made an edit of Devonta Smith when we hired Sark (though of course it wasn't on the announcement graphic itself), so it's not too far off common practice.

Of course, the whole thing is "everyone is saying our staff is full of old white assholes and Petrino is an adulterous crook, well look here's a younger Petrino with a cool young black guy, and his similing family that he would never think of betraying!"

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I see they had to sneak in famous Texas A&M QB Lamar Jackson on the announcement edit 

Double Heisman BigDickEnergy x 10K!!!!!!

You have two (2) (DOS!) coaches that have taken raw clay and created Heisman Trophy QBs!! With both of them working with the same QB at the same time, they'll have to create a new award!

image.thumb.png.8996d288667b7b2fc81211b73ad9797e.png

That's right! The JimmyBobby Double Heisman Trophy for superstud QBs!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Double Heisman BigDickEnergy x 10K!!!!!!

You have two (2) (DOS!) coaches that have taken raw clay and created Heisman Trophy QBs!! With both of them working with the same QB at the same time, they'll have to create a new award!

image.thumb.png.8996d288667b7b2fc81211b73ad9797e.png

That's right! The JimmyBobby Double Heisman Trophy for superstud QBs!

YARN | But maybe the two of us, working together at full ...

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They are just trying to remind everybody of the VY-esque (200/200) game he had against them in the music city bowl. As Nick Saban would say, “[Jackson] ran through their ass like shit through a tin horn.” Literally kickstarted his heisman campaign the following year. I remember aggies bitching about how the $1.5 million man, Chief, couldn’t stop a one-man (who couldn’t throw) team from the acc.

As I recall, it was an especially resplendent time to follow along, considering the game came on the heels of Kylexit aka the Kylodus. There were so many “After __ Years, I’m Done☹️”/“FIRE HIM NOW!😡”/“Didn’t Watch, Feel Much Better👍”/“I Just Don’t Understand Why God Hates Us😢” threads on TexAgs back then..good thing they upgraded. Jimbo has definitely taken the program where Sumlin couldn’t.

On the even brighter side, now aggies can look at that time when Jimbo’s #2 ranked FSU team got absolutely humiliated 63-20 by a slightly above average Louisville team and claim a point of pride*..which they are wont to do.

*Just FYI, try not to mention that, around that same general period, well-known super genius, Todd Orlando, managed to effectively shut down both of those illustrious offensive masterminds in the span of eleven months, give or take (and had beaten Jackson/Petrino previously, three months prior to that span). Info like that tends to effect an uncontrollable facial twitch in them, similar to this:

1249199016.candyrabbit_1243625192.hartle

(Could just be an Orlando thing, tbh)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SamMan said:

They are just trying to remind everybody of the VY-esque (200/200) game he had against them in the music city bowl. As Nick Saban would say, “[Jackson] ran through their ass like shit through a tin horn.” Literally kickstarted his heisman campaign the following year. I remember aggies bitching about how the $1.5 million man, Chief, couldn’t stop a one-man (who couldn’t throw) team from the acc.

As I recall, it was an especially resplendent time to follow along, considering the game came on the heels of Kylexit aka the Kylodus. There were so many “After __ Years, I’m Done☹️”/“FIRE HIM NOW!😡”/“Didn’t Watch, Feel Much Better👍”/“I Just Don’t Understand Why God Hates Us😢” threads on TexAgs back then..good thing they upgraded. Jimbo has definitely taken the program where Sumlin couldn’t.

On the even brighter side, now aggies can look at that time when Jimbo’s #2 ranked FSU team got absolutely humiliated 63-20 by a slightly above average Louisville team and claim a point of pride*..which they are wont to do.

*Just FYI, try not to mention that, around that same general period, well-known super genius, Todd Orlando, managed to effectively shut down both of those illustrious offensive masterminds in the span of eleven months, give or take (and had beaten Jackson/Petrino previously, three months prior to that span). Info like that tends to effect an uncontrollable facial twitch in them, similar to this:

1249199016.candyrabbit_1243625192.hartle

(Could just be an Orlando thing, tbh)

Step away from the meth sir...step away ..

30 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They've still only added two portal players.  Thought they were going to bring in a bunch?

They’re waiting for the CFI final to finish so they can skim the cream of the crop from dawg or frog, after they can show those guys how much more glorious aggy is. 

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They've still only added two portal players.  Thought they were going to bring in a bunch?

They’re flat footed and have been from the jump on both NIL and the portal.* Some of the money, feeling very fatigued, seems to think Fisher’s looked like a deer in the headlights. Whoddathunkit?

Apparently, the money they have ponied up to keep the guys they felt like they absolutely had to keep is obscene and has left them with less than optimal reserves for recruiting and the portal**. I can say that that’s actually been an issue everywhere, but it sounds like a crazy level of it at ATM. 

*One problem for ATM in the portal is the lack of preparation. Another is that, unlike in recruiting, they’re dealing with players with lots of options and limited time left in college, so they’re a far less attractive choice for guys who have “been around” and want a last shot at either winning or moving up their NFL prospects.

**To the functionally obtuse and wholly, constantly literate that do not have a vague understanding of how this works and that things can change on a dime, I am in no way saying that they can’t go big on a guy or two in the portal. They’re just not in a position to make it rain across the landscape. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The NAIA playoffs just wrapped up. The fighting Texum aggies are pouring over the film. Rest assured they’ll be poaching the best of the best from the likes of Morningside, Kansas Wesleyan, and Concordia. 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

This could be wish-casting, but I wonder if another reason premium portal players are less likely to choose A&M than premium prospects is the portal players more likely being the decision makers in their recruitments 

That’s absolutely true in some situations. There’s also the issue that, due to the scarcity of time, whether it’s the player or his camp, absolute payday difference versus measuring the future expected value with marked improvement while playing with a winning team is a different comparison than at ages 16-18. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 9:49 PM, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents
MemphisAg1 said:
Eh, the jury's still out on Addazio. The line performed outstanding in the LSU game. So what's the right data point, that game or the ones before it? Need a little more time for a complete evaluation. Kirby Smart struggled for several years at Georgia and then finally got it straightened out. Same thing for Dabo. 

Addazio might be a bust. Or not. Same for Petrino. Give it a bit more time to draw a fair conclusion. 
AZsportsDoc said:

My jury isn't out. That was the worst offensive line I watched last year. Besides lsu game. And it wasn't close.

And it wasn't due to the talent 

Feels a little like you're looking for a fight and it's one that I frankly don't have time for this evening. So kindly cut the **** and if you continue to come at me you'll be done here. I don't need the distraction and it seems most on this thread could do without your railing, as well. And I say that after reading PLENTY of negative opinions about the hire so that, my man, is not the issue.

With that said, you've seen Addazio for one season, complete with a health scare that coat him games and three of his top six OL out for the season by Game 6. Look, I'm certainly now in the 'jury is still out' mode on Addazio but to simply say 'the o-line sucked, terrible hire' is a lot. 

As for Petrino, you can manipulate the numbers to fit whatever narrative you'd like, just like someone could do it with stats and applying logic the other way, as well. You don't like him, others do.

I know who I've talked to in the sport and most who I respect think that dude in the OC role is still elite. We'll know soon enough, as early as this season (as in immediately) would be a fair expectation. 

No, it's not Riley or Grubb (I personally loved that one), but the idea this doesn't have the potential to be a great hire is an opinion many in the game would disagree with. High risk, high reward is probably a fair way to describe it.

Looch is such a sensitive little pussy it makes me laugh. If someone disagrees with anything he thinks "they're looking for a fight and they're done here ". What a gaping vag

• Hook 'Em 7