Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

Man that wrote up by Tarp is brutal if you are an aggy.  
The two things that gave them hope after a 5 win season were:

1. Expectation for a “big dog” OC hire that would take control of the offense and 

2. Restocking talent quickly through the portal.  

Now they ain’t got shit to hope for.  Just blind faith that minus some of their young talent that left, they are essentially going to do the same thing next year and somehow it’ll work better.  
I look forward to the civil war between the realists and the sunshine pumpers when the new, underwhelming OC is announced.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah Hicks felt like a vanity project while Hill was a necessity. 

They should have my worked hard on flipping Burrell and recruiting a back up plan for Muhammad. Instead they went all in Hill and their regarded chase of Tony Mitchell. 

Jimbo also appears allergic to the portal. They should have been all over Gavin Holmes. 

This is what smart people would have done.  

11 hours ago, Getafix said:

(This is quite something ... ignoring the portal because those transfers are not good enough, and now, these are the remaining high school / juco targets.  Woof.)

Looking at Texas A&M's current unsigned targets

Brian Perroni

Reveal hidden contents

Looking at Texas A&M's current unsigned targets

Brian Perroni

The Early Signing Period for the class of 2023 is now over and Texas A&M inked 17 high school prospects. The Aggies are expected to announce one more – longtime defensive line commit Samu Taumanupepe – after he has a ceremony in his birthday, Jan. 23, to bring that total to 18.

The team has added one commitment from the transfer portal and is expected to land some others as well in order to provide immediate help, but Jimbo Fisher and Co. will also look to add more high schoolers on the traditional Signing Day, Feb. 1.

This year and next, there is no limit for “initial counters,” so A&M is not limited to 25 newcomers. The only number that matters is the 85-man total scholarship limit for the team, and there is quite a bit of room under that.

Here is a look at the few current high school and junior college targets. There will likely be more emerge as the staff meets and looks at the unsigned prospects around the country.

-New Orleans (La.) De La Salle OT Caden Jones – The 6-foot-8, 305-pounder is A&M’s top unsigned target at this point. He has long been down to the Aggies and Florida and officially visited both in the final two weeks before the dead period. Jones plans to announce on TV during the All-American Bowl on Jan. 7. While some players that will announce then have already signed and asked the schools to hold off on publicizing it, Jones says he has not inked anywhere. Florida was consider the leader heading into his A&M official visit and the Aggies now have the momentum.

-San Bernardino (Calif.) Cajon ATH JeyQuan Smith – The speedy 5-foot-10, 175-pound athlete is being recruited by A&M as a wide receiver. In late November, he had a final three of Oregon, Utah and Washington with a decision date imminent but then an offer by the Aggies pushed that date back. He plans to visit College Station in late January now. Smith has a similar skillset to signee Micah Tease, so there is always the potential that the team feels it is no longer a need but, if A&M pushes, they stand a good chance of landing him.

-Snow College WR Marquis Montgomery – Texas A&M offered the 6-foot-5, 205-pound JUCO wideout this past Wednesday. He has actually received a number of late offers, since he did not sign early. Montgomery has officially visited Middle Tennessee, San Diego State and Utah State and now plans to use his final two to A&M and Washington State. This one will likely depend on how hard the Aggies push.

‘’Jimbo Fisher and Co.” are literally killing themselves recruiting Snow College. 

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:12 PM, ATXhorn17 said:

That’s one of the most pathetic Twitter exchanges I’ve ever laid eyes on. Billy’s a ~45 year old man who earns his living stalking teenagers, acting like an Internet tough guy, perpetuating bizarre aggy conspiracy theories, and building Jimbo’s bizarre cult of personality. It’s sad.

I think he's 49, isn't he?

On 12/24/2022 at 10:56 AM, utexas8 said:

still no clue who they hire but would be absolutely floored if they hire an air raid or air raid adjacent OC. they do NOT have the staff for it, and we know Jimbo isn't going to turnover all of his offensive staff. they probably don't have the personnel for it either when it comes to guys actually on campus/scheme fits - don't I remember Air Raid and cubes are typically a terrible mix on the OL?
who is out there in a bowl game that fits pro style offense, doesn't require bringing an entire entourage of coaches with you, can be purchased and you can spin as "stealing a coach from a SEC opponent"?

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2022 at 1:02 PM, Bill Lumbergh said:

This will all but assure Jimbo and aggy prioritize stealing BoB, allowing bama to unload him easily, while Saban secures one of the guys from the list who turned Jimbo down.

i believe his contract is up after this season...

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

still no clue who they hire but would be absolutely floored if they hire an air raid or air raid adjacent OC. they do NOT have the staff for it, and we know Jimbo isn't going to turnover all of his offensive staff. they probably don't have the personnel for it either when it comes to guys actually on campus/scheme fits - don't I remember Air Raid and cubes are typically a terrible mix on the OL?
who is out there in a bowl game that fits pro style offense, doesn't require bringing an entire entourage of coaches with you, can be purchased and you can spin as "stealing a coach from a SEC opponent"?

Reveal hidden contents

Seems like a Craig promotion with Huard being hired to fill in Dickey's position coaching spot is the leader in the clubhouse 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Seems like a Craig promotion with Huard being hired to fill in Dickey's position coaching spot is the leader in the clubhouse 

Dickey was the TE coach, so we probably see *another* positional shakeup between Craig/Coley/new guy

because every good team typically shakes up their position coaches 2x in 2 years.

2 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

A&M is extremely unlikely to hire Bill O’Brien because my enjoyment level of that would be in the “too good to be true” realm.

Sadly BoB is probably a better coordinator than ole Jimbo...   So it might actually be an upgrade.  

• Hook 'Em 1

NSD1 is past, NSD2 is coming, and we’re in portal season, and…no OC at TAMU. How does that happen?

They want to recruit offensive players, but can’t tell them what offense they’re running or who would coach. They’d like to hire an OC, but have to find one with a good enough name to not scare the recruits away (and those guys have other options than working for an OCD on a hot seat that doesn’t want you anyway, coaching a one-deep squad of five star prima-Donnas making as much as you…and you’re making seven figures). 

Is this a vicious cycle?

• Like 1

Nature is a collection of equilibria. Perturbations from an equilibrium can occur, but the restoring forces kick in and cause a return to the ground state. Aggy will never fall so far as to become a perennial 3-win team. They will never become a regular playoff team. They are doomed to ride the roller coaster forever. The guilty pleasure lies in knowing they will base their expectations off of their greatest upward deviations from their mean and in watching their chagrin when their expected glory inevitably fails to materialize.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

At this point, I’d bet almost anything that aggy hires an assistant from a CFP playoff team. They won’t be able to pull away one of the OCs, so they’ll pay ~$2 mil/year for a young position group coach (receivers coach, OL coach, etc.). That way, Jimbo can retain control and still change the narrative. 

Luicci: “I told y’all to be patient — Jimbo had to wait for the semis to end, but he got his guy. My sources say that Coach _______ had an outsized impact on TCU’s scheme and was key to Duggan’s development. With Coach _______ on staff, expect for Weigman to make a similar jump in Year 2.”

Are you a man from the future ? 

54 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

At this point, I’d bet almost anything that aggy hires an assistant from a CFP playoff team. They won’t be able to pull away one of the OCs, so they’ll pay ~$2 mil/year for a young position group coach (receivers coach, OL coach, etc.). That way, Jimbo can retain control and still change the narrative. 

Luicci: “I told y’all to be patient — Jimbo had to wait for the semis to end, but he got his guy. My sources say that Coach _______ had an outsized impact on TCU’s scheme and was key to Duggan’s development. With Coach _______ on staff, expect for Weigman to make a similar jump in Year 2.”

Malcolm Kelly about to get paid!

6 hours ago, NoName said:

Dickey was the TE coach, so we probably see *another* positional shakeup between Craig/Coley/new guy

because every good team typically shakes up their position coaches 2x in 2 years.

Hey! We're a good team and that's what we were doing...oh. Fuck.

Good point, damn you.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, statsman said:

NSD1 is past, NSD2 is coming, and we’re in portal season, and…no OC at TAMU. How does that happen?

They want to recruit offensive players, but can’t tell them what offense they’re running or who would coach. They’d like to hire an OC, but have to find one with a good enough name to not scare the recruits away (and those guys have other options than working for an OCD on a hot seat that doesn’t want you anyway, coaching a one-deep squad of five star prima-Donnas making as much as you…and you’re making seven figures). 

Is this a vicious cycle?

You obviously haven't been reading Billy Liucci. It's not a cycle; it's getting it right. That's the important thing. Most people don't care about getting it right. They care about...well, they care about something else.

Edited by RomaVicta

On 12/26/2022 at 5:17 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So they spent a bunch of money on hicks, who plays a position that they are the deepest and still very young, instead of backfilling their db losses and adding good numbers to their OL?

and there were no linebackers for sale with the money initially earmarked for hill?  

limited resources/small class should mean apply the resources you do have to fixing your largest concern areas. 

Line of scrimmage league you stupid sip.  Except only for defense apparently.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm not sure why, but that cracked me up. 

Oh, now I get it. A parrot. I think the idea that it would just be a bird made me laugh before I knew the species.

Yeah, one of the photoshop pro’s in here should put him or one like him on a pic of Jimbo on the sideline.

27 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

His highlights are underwhelming.  A lot of him Mossing some 5'6" DII defensive backs, but not many of him actually getting separation and getting open.  He does have some pretty spectacular catches so the hands might be really good.

He’s gotten offers from ~10 other D1 programs (not just aggy). So coaches must be seeing some potential at the next level. But agreed, he’ll struggle to get separation against faster, lengthy DBs.

Edited by ATXhorn17

40 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

God damn - DII?  Thats a hell of a jump up.  My first thought was he must be a hell of an athlete - then I found his 100m PR is an 11.73

He's got some decent offers - Colorado, Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc. - so I'd think them missing out on him is completely possible

• Like 1