Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve seen Rick Bayless recommend that method on his cooking show. 40-45 seconds at full power. Easy peasy. (Great show, btw.) Coincidentally, I saw an episode of Simply Ming last night where he was the guest chef. 

Thanks for the responses from everyone.  I've added this to the NEISD recipe.  Now if someone could just find the enchilada recipe from The Stallion on N. Lamar in Austin back in the day.  All I can duplicate is the big jalapeno perched on top and the moat of grease around the perimeter.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:16 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Take a stack of corn tortillas, wrap in a wet paper towel and nuke them. I usually do it in batches of 10 or so. 

Another way is to line a cooking sheet with foil.

Lay out the corn tortillas (not overlapping).

Heat oven to 350.

Spray both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray.

Put in the oven for about 3 to 4 mintues and then flip them and bake a few more minutes.

They are perfect to roll after that.

Edited by Steamboat1874

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 12:19 PM, Kahuna said:

Thanks for the responses from everyone.  I've added this to the NEISD recipe.  Now if someone could just find the enchilada recipe from The Stallion on N. Lamar in Austin back in the day.  All I can duplicate is the big jalapeno perched on top and the moat of grease around the perimeter.

Just use any decent recipe you want, and put a roach on the wall next to you as you eat it... 😉 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Thought there was a Dart Bowl enchilada truck or something supposed to open.

That would not suck. Hadn't heard about it but would celebrate the return of the best enchiladas in Austin, minus the unique ambiance of the bowling alley.

3 minutes ago, pch said:

That would not suck. Hadn't heard about it but would celebrate the return of the best enchiladas in Austin, minus the unique ambiance of the bowling alley.

They pay someone to stand there and blow Marlboro smoke in your face and spill Miller high life on your shoes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They pay someone to stand there and blow Marlboro smoke in your face and spill Miller high life on your shoes. 

I'd pay that price for a plate of those heavenly enchiladas.  Most of the dives I drank at had the smoke and spilled beer without the food.

• 2 weeks later...

A trusted source recommends Lala's Gorditas on Roosevelt on the South Side. Lala is long gone but her descendants still run the kitchen. Cheese enchiladas and guacamole cups. IDK what those are -- like a little tortilla bowl with guacamole in it? This lady is old school SA and said this place made her weep. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best thing about the NEISD enchilada recipe is that it absolutely nails the chili gravy.  You can't buy that in a can!

OTOH, the NEISD homemade enchilada sauce is pretty indistinguishable from the generic canned HEB red enchilada sauce.  I now use that when I make a batch of cheese enchiladas.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, dcbc said:

We had some leftover pork loin and oven brisket the inlaws gave us.  Minced it up and made some enchiladas.

92f8115fb283705824eedc7fb606d6d0.jpg

966d0ff7c33f1fef42547c62ff8fe48d.jpg

Nice cheese distribution. Looks like two kinds of cheese. Is it Cheddar and Monterey Jack? That’s how I would go but I’ve never made enchiladas.

Anyway, I want that. Funny, I also want some lasagna. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Nice cheese distribution. Looks like two kinds of cheese. Is it Cheddar and Monterey Jack? That’s how I would go but I’ve never made enchiladas.

Anyway, I want that. Funny, I also want some lasagna. :)

Kraft Mexi blend shredded cheese.  Usually, I'll grate my own, but this was easy. 

I'd never made them before last year-ish.  Pretty easy.  Whoever mentioned on here about throwing the corn tortillas in the oven for a few minutes to make them easier to roll, thank you.

Edited by dcbc

On 12/13/2020 at 2:47 PM, dcbc said:

I just made my first Tex-Mex gravy tonight.  Got it from a recipe that suggested a dash of cinnamon at the end.  I'm tellin' ya, that gravy took my Gringo enchiladas to next level status.  I don't know what the level above Gringo is, but it's better.  Try that small cinnamon addition to the gravy, folks.

0adcc82ae8df5e5f78c8f315eb608812.jpg

My Mexican gf made enchiladas for my parents a few years ago. She had just made the best enchiladas a couple weeks prior. So I bite into them and am thinking wtf is this? I say there is something weird about them. She said she thought she was using cumin but it was the cinnamon shaker. She was hoping we didn’t notice.

• Haha 5

I know great cheese enchiladas and as long as a joint makes them with oil softened corn tortillas, good melty cheese, finely chopped sweet onions inside, and a solid chili gravy I am fine. If you’ve never lived away from Texas you know you’ll not find the uniqueness of TexMex there. When we lived in San Francisco my wife and I drove fucking and hour and a half to eat at the first On the Border in the Bay Area. It had been yankeefied for California tastes.

I’m more critical of lazy execution of enchiladas in restaurant. Crunchy tortillas. Pasty sauce or poor coverage. The hard log of rehardened cheddar inside. Or hardly any cheese. No onions. F’n disgrace.

I use a modified Homesick Texan recipe; hers has too much salt in the gravy, and it has a bit of ground beef in it. I never use preshredded cheese as the stuff has anyicaking agents. Kraft American cheese I shred myself (no velveeta) on the inside. Finely chopped sweet onions inside. Oil dipped corn tortillas. Assemble and bake. Just before it’s done I top with extra sharp cheddar I grate and put back in the oven. I like a sprinkling of raw onions wife does not.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, Anastasis said:

That’s nice and all but where are the pics?

There was only 92 seconds between the plating and an empty plate. The Polaroid flash cube didn’t even have time to charge. I’m ashamed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, po elvis said:

My Mexican gf made enchiladas for my parents a few years ago. She had just made the best enchiladas a couple weeks prior. So I bite into them and am thinking wtf is this? I say there is something weird about them. She said she thought she was using cumin but it was the cinnamon shaker. She was hoping we didn’t notice.

When they say a pinch of cinnamon, they mean a pinch.  Really easy to overdo it, but if you get it right, it's the stuff.

On the preshredded cheese, I know, I know.  I have no excuse. 

Edited by dcbc

On 11/26/2021 at 7:44 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

A trusted source recommends Lala's Gorditas on Roosevelt on the South Side. Lala is long gone but her descendants still run the kitchen. Cheese enchiladas and guacamole cups. IDK what those are -- like a little tortilla bowl with guacamole in it? This lady is old school SA and said this place made her weep. 

Guacamole cups?

Witness (Teka Molino’s)…

F900F9A2-508E-4242-A221-04CED85698D8.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
And, yes, that’s old school SA Tex Mex just like Puffies.

I never had the Dart Bowl cheese enchiladas, but growing up in Wichita Falls we had the equivalent at Pioneer No. 3.   Great greasy cheese enchiladas probably American cheese, chili gravy, served with French fries also covered with the gravy, with a side of Cole slaw.  Had it probably 100 times as a kid/teen, so that’s where I start from when I think of cheese enchiladas. 

Came here to post this. The grease factor at pioneer cannot be overstated. It was pretty disgusting to look at actually. But when you got those fries and sopped up that chili gravy and cheese with them….it was glorious. Have a couple of family members that still live in WF and when we go up to visit (which is rare cuz WF sucks) we usually make a stop at pioneer for the enchiladas. Parkway grill also has a pretty decent enchilada but pioneer is usually where we wind up going.
3a9342e268f6dad8d59674078954ed20.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

Whoever mentioned on here about throwing the corn tortillas in the oven for a few minutes to make them easier to roll, thank you.

I’ve seen Rick Bayless on his show just wrap a stack in moist paper towels and nuke them in the microwave for a minute.

And I found a video. It’s probably longer than it needs to be but here it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve seen Rick Bayless on his show just wrap a stack in moist paper towels and nuke them in the microwave for a minute.

And I found a video. It’s probably longer than it needs to be but here it is.

I was googling it while I was doing it and saw the "nuke it" rec.  I probably tossed 6 at a time in there at 350 for 3 or 4 minutes and tossed the next set in while I rolled the previous 6. 

1 hour ago, Txslnghrns said:

Came here to post this. The grease factor at pioneer cannot be overstated. It was pretty disgusting to look at actually. But when you got those fries and sopped up that chili gravy and cheese with them….it was glorious. 

Dammit.  My son and I were in WF Friday & Saturday, and chose against Pioneer Friday night.  Went with Jefe's.  

Ironically, I had the cheese enchiladas, and they were "meh" to the 10th power.  Just so boring.  I knew I had a long day ahead on Saturday plus a 5-hour drove home to Austin Saturday night, so I didn't want to risk some kind of bubble-gut attack from random beef poisoning.  Maybe I guessed wrong.

Tortillas for enchiladas need the opening of flavor from a quick dip in hot oil, besides adding pliability.

Back in the day lots of TexMex joints didnt just bring chips and hot sauce, but also hot steamed corn tortillas and pats of butter, often with a bowl of escabishe, pickled jalapeños slices, carrots, and onions.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Tortillas for enchiladas need the opening of flavor from a quick dip in hot oil, besides adding pliability.

Agree.  Need a little coating of oil and either frying in the skillet by the ones or laying across a pan and batching in the oven. Fucking goddamned yankees posting about nuking tortillas in the microwave in an enchilada thread. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

@dcbc did I miss it in this thread or have you shared your enchi recipe yet?

itsbeautiful/raidersofthelostark

I honestly don't remember.

Tex-Mex Gravy:

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon ground chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ teaspoon dried oregano

¼ teaspoon salt, to taste

Pinch of cinnamon

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 cups chicken or vegetable broth

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Make a quick roux with the oil, flour, and spices.  Add tomato paste and broth and simmer until it thickens.  Add vinegar and pepper.  Spread a thin layer of gravy over the bottom of baking pan.

Brown meat, drain, set aside.  Saute an onion in olive oil.  Add a small can of green chilies.  Add meat back in and pour the Tex-Mex gravy over the mixture and combine.

Fill the oiled/heated tortillas with gravy/meat mixture along with cheese and roll.  Dump whatever is left over over the the top of the enchiladas, then spread shredded cheese over everything.  Bake, covered with foil at 350F for 35--45 minutes. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

cheese enchiladas are best when served with crackers, plain old, saltine crackers 

You are correct especially with diner type joints like you can still find in Texas small towns where you can get a steak, or biscuits and gravy, a plate lunch, and they have the Mexican food section on the menu. Saltines with butter for sure.

I miss the cracker basket and bowl of butter pats restaurants used to have. I was a weird kid as I liked Melba toast and the sesame crackers.
  • Hook 'Em 2