Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

I’ve always liked Deion except when he did PI on Irvin in the champ game. I like his story coming out of nothing and excelling at two sports. He knows what it takes to win in the modern game and can do a lot of things other coaches are reticent to do.

He knows that NIL and the portal are his tools not things to be feared. He asks very bluntly to these players and has zero toleration for laziness, ineptitude, losing, lack of prep and practice effort. I like that he is a head coach and focuses on leadership and hiring top assistants to do the x and o and teaching stuff. I hate the paradigm of hiring the latest coordinator genius for head coaches when the dna required of a solid head coach is different. He does want his coaches to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers.

The liberalism of Boulder is going to be chafed. Maybe they are muted today but a lot of Colorado fans and administrators havent liked his brashness, or running off all the shitballs he inherited, or pointing out the inadequacies of the facilities or empty NIL accounts. Winning hasn’t been that important to many of them and many have preferred the typical Pac12 mediocrity with values intact bullshit.

Deion doesn’t put up with the usual excuses thrown up by players of single mom, or minor injuries, or hurt feelings, or microaggressions. He will run them off as by next year the talent train will flood Boulder.

Uh, Colorado is thrilled with him.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'd tap the brakes just a bit here.
TCU isn't what they were a year ago.   And they still put up 42 in 3 quarters on this Colorado defense.
Colorado is going to score points; and that maybe all that Deion wants to do---win shootouts.  But they are going to have to stop people, eventually.  Maybe he gets the kind of kids that can do that in time, but he doesn't have them yet.

There will be no brake tapping!

Dude, a team fresh off a 1-11 season where they lost by an average of 29 points just beat the team that played for the natty last year. And did it on the road.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Dude, a team fresh off a 1-11 season where they lost by an average of 29 points just beat the team that played for the natty last year. And did it on the road.

And if this year's Colorado was facing last year's TCU bunch, they lose this game.

Yeah, it was an accomplishment for Colorado...but not one for the record books.  They are more than likely going to start 3-0...then have to go to Eugene on the 23rd,  then host USC the next week.   That will give everyone a better idea of just how good they actually are.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

And if this year's Colorado was facing last year's TCU bunch, they lose this game.
Yeah, it was an accomplishment for Colorado...but not one for the record books.  They are more than likely going to start 3-0...then have to go to Eugene on the 23rd,  then host USC the next week.   That will give everyone a better idea of just how good they actually are.
No brake tapping!
  • Haha 5

The stupidity that comes with a statement like that is wild. I’m surprised they won, but I’m not really shocked that TCU looks like shit. They lost a ton from the team that played for a national championship.

11 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Anyone saying this game was anything other than a massive accomplishment for Sanders and the CU program is a moron. 

It would have been more of a massive accomplishment had Sanders did it with last years CU team.

Look, I'm not denying the NIL and the portal changed things.  To compare this CU team to what was put on the field in 2022...well, you just can't.  Deion brought in a bunch of mercenaries who have one job to do:  play well enough that they don't get replaced by a different group of mercenaries in the offseason. It worked yesterday.  It probably will work next week against Nebraska, and in Week 3.  After that, the world will have a better idea of what exactly is going on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It would have been more of a massive accomplishment had Sanders did it with last years CU team.
Look, I'm not denying the NIL and the portal changed things.  To compare this CU team to what was put on the field in 2022...well, you just can't.  Deion brought in a bunch of mercenaries who have one job to do:  play well enough that they don't get replaced by a different group of mercenaries in the offseason. It worked yesterday.  It probably will work next week against Nebraska, and in Week 3.  After that, the world will have a better idea of what exactly is going on.

Lulz. Not a Prime fan, eh? This is college football now. The old rules no longer apply.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

To compare this CU team to what was put on the field in 2022...well, you just can't. 

Yes, you can. That's the whole fucking point. The most massive roster overhaul in modern fbs history, and this was the spotlight where we first got to see hints of whether it was a complete disaster or a success. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

I think they turned the ship a bit after beating Cal in overtime last year.  That was the turning point. Deion just happened to catch them at the right time. 

If this is a joke it’s actually pretty funny but I think you might really believe it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Deion was must watch tv on Sundays and now, for at least two weeks in September, is must watch tv on Saturdays.  Love him or hate him, very very few people in this world can claim what he has done.  Complete respect.

And everyone flipping to "TCU isn't good" is so predictable.  It's like you cant admit how wrong you were.  And ftr, I would have bet my house on TCU moneyline if I was in Vegas so I'm glad I didn't bet....I'm just not a hater.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Deion brought in a bunch of mercenaries who have one job to do:  play well enough that they don't get replaced by a different group of mercenaries in the offseason

Lol you just described Bama, Georgia, OSU, Michigan, UT, USC, Oregon (where do you want me to stop?). He was just able to turn the whole roster over in a year. Saban has been “processing” players pretty much since he got there and now it’s industry standard. Deion took it to 11

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I am confused by this. Do you mean to say that you aren't impressed that a guy can come in and take over a team that was 1-11 last year at a school that really doesn't give a shit about athletics, bring in 86 new players, then somehow look competent week one? Changing 86 players alone is impressive.

The funny part about the whole "TCU isn't the same as they were last year" crowd is that both of these teams had the same chance to reload, with TCU having a little less work to do. Props to Prime for doing what he said he was going to do. We should all be wary because if he stays at CU he is going to be able to walk into Texas and get some high level recruits. Hopefully its the aggy targets.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
7 hours ago, TreatyOak said:
That you, Bill Little?
Jenn-Loss.jpg 

We won yesterday bud, it wasn't pretty but a win is a win. If you tuck in the string and man the fuck up you're more than welcome to join us Texas fans but your bitchassness isn't welcome.

Congrats on the big win against Rice. The sports world is all abuzz about it.

Given that Surly posters apparently prefer entertaining content, I will continue to post my bitchassness, but good luck with sunsihine-pumping stuff.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Watched the post game where Deion referred to a female reporter as baby. Maybe he has a personal friendship with her but that isn’t something that you do in 2023. Maybe if he was 85 years old you could chalk it up to not understanding but Deion is 56.  

He refers to many people as "baby" it's not a gender thing Karen. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Folks, it was one game. A great game for them but it's still one game. Everyone needs to just take a breath and see the whole season play out. Making any declarative statements about what Coach Sanders is going to mean for college football is clown college stuff. There is still plenty of time for their season to implode just as there is time for them to 'shock the world'.

Stop being a cornball.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Keeping things into perspective: an incredible start for a game they were expected to lose. Stop me if you’ve heard this one though…new coach comes in and his first year makes it to the MNC with new team. Obviously, that was TCU last year. It can be done. Bc we’ve seen it. But it’s usually not sustainable. Bc we have also seen that.

Regardless, this was a win/win scenario for Deion and CU. If they’d lost but played hard they could say well shit we played the runner up to the MNC. and we played tough and give them something to build on and be inspired by.

Winning though puts an even bigger spotlight on them but Prime was made for the big lights. And it will certainly help with recruiting. I mean CU fell off a fucking cliff the last 20 or so years. This was one of the best games period yesterday.

I’m not begrudging any new HC or a hodgepodge team that can have early success. Clearly, we haven’t done anything like that at Texas and I’ve been told (here many times by posters) it is not the smart way to build a team with transfers etc and such. But it can be done. It’s just harder to sustain but he will certainly have a buzz for recruiting. That’s for sure. It will be interesting to see how the rest of their schedule shakes out. But it must be nice to have that first big game over with a W. 

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Props to Prime for doing what he said he was going to do. We should all be wary because if he stays at CU he is going to be able to walk into Texas and get some high level recruits. Hopefully its the aggy targets.

We often target the same players as aggy.

Don't kid yourself. Prime doing well in Texas recruiting will hurt UT, too. Big 12 affiliation will only help him and CU. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Don't kid yourself. Prime doing well in Texas recruiting will hurt UT, too. Big 12 affiliation will only help him and CU. 

The only time I’m ok with “SEC… SEC…SEC…” is in recruiting.  He will get his but thankfully we can make the chant.

4 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

If we are winning, no.  If we aren’t, yeah, I agree. 

Deion played NIL and the portal well. He also had the huge advantage of surprise. There was zero film to study. By the time USC, Oregon and AZ State face them it will be different. Colorado will be vastly better than last year, but they will finish somewhere in the mid PAC12.