Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

SP+ has the spread at 28 points. the only projection system thats doing well in prediction tracker that I saw (Payne) has it at 12.x points. very interested to see what the average/mean spread is over at prediction tracker once we get further into the week and more systems are updated.

Oregon is one of the few good offenses AND defenses they face this season. Oregon is currently up to the #11 overall SP+ team w/ #2 SP+ Offense and #40 SP+ Defense - before this week they were the #8 F+ (SP++ FEI combined) offense and #44 defense. will update once FEI is updated.

here is Bill C's blurb on CU from the SP+ Week 4 rankings, where he has Colorado at #76 with #50 offense and #102 defense.

image.png.64a4e42ed879e9d564c3f92be883054c.png

here is where the P12 ranks by average SP+

image.png.a49d53b071f3c9703c1e191db3201f59.png

Bill C ranked undefeated teams and here is where CU ranks w/ more info.

F6T3Rf8XIAAs50I?format=jpg&name=large

it's hard to win with a negative Success Rate

F6UA369WIAAQQUb?format=jpg&name=orig

F6UD24qXEAAFgvt?format=jpg&name=large

colorado is a fascinating case study for the rest of the year. 

Sidenote: TCU made the national championship game last year with horrific advanced metrics across the board. Football is not baseball or basketball. The sample size is too small and intangibilities have too great an impact for much to be learned from analytics. 

• Hook 'Em 2

deion is deion...it's who he is.  which is a highly polarizing guy who makes people that have a vision of how to act with decency should act view him with disdain.  these people understandably view that decency as someone with humility, respect for others, class, no self-aggrandizing, hardworking without asking for accolades etc...  most people are obviously like that.  and they are going to find deion objectionable and take pleasure in his failures and the perceived comeuppance.  i'm certainly not immune to a bit of it.  on the other hand, it is going to make people who just want to be entertained entertained.  especially young, stupid people.

i think deion is a phenom.  he was such an unbelievable athlete and would have been great at basically anything he wanted to do athletically.  the bo jackson, deion sanders, bob hayes, dave winfield, jim thorpes of the world are truly a special breed.  i used to really enjoy watching him play db and special teams for the falcons and 49ers...

he's putting on a show at colorado...successfully so far but beating csu in overtime at home would be an embarrassment to any legitimate top 25 team.  beating wyoming by 21 at home was an embarrassment.  as a side note, it has been so long since colorado was anything but pathetic that most people have forgotten just how unbelievably bad a reputation their fans used to have for being absolute trash and i think people are about to get reminded about that.  rushing the field after that is possibly a lower point than going a million straight seasons with losing records.  

deion's amassing talent but obviously the next three weeks are likely to be a reality check between a quick flash vs. solid teams with depth at most positions.  his qb son is playing at a really high level so far...though he probably needs to check himself on being his dad's spokesman at the post-game coach's handshakes.  he's looked really good in the intermediate passing game in particular so far against two shit opponents and one (likely) mediocre opponent.  he's fun to watch if you aren't playing against him.

i am extremely frustrated that hunter got hurt going into those games though.  that dude has the potential to be the first charles woodson in a long time and i would have liked to have seen his individual efforts against oregon and usc.  that is bullshit and i am pissed at the safety from csu for that horseshit play and depriving us the opportunity to see him in those games.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Losing a game you are expected to lose shouldn't matter much should it? Even if they get blown out I don’t think people will care unless it looks like they quit. Everyone knows how thin they are and now they are without their best defensive player and one of their top offensive threats. 

Crazy that this thread has gone from “O/U should be 3 wins and I’ll take the under” to “if they have a bad showing on the road against the 10th ranked team in the country the wheels are gonna come off”

If Deion doesn't lead them to a Super Bowl this year (because they are so dominant that they are promoted to the NFL mid-season) then he's a shuckin' and jivin' fraud who cares only about himself, unlike all these lunchpail, first-off-the-bus coaches at the other schools who are in it for God, Country, and the Kids (in that order).

• Haha 9

I enjoyed watching Sanders on GameDay on Saturday morning. He's must see tv. 

Hunter getting hurt was one of things that simply could not happen if they were going to have a puncher's chance against USC and Oregon. They're just too thin across the board. It would have been pretty fucking entertaining to see that dude going up against those two teams. 

For CU to get to 6 wins and make a bowl, which would be a remarkable feat and should net Sanders national COY honors, they just need to take care of business against ASU and Stanford then be the better team that Saturday against Arizona or Wazzou. 

For CU to go even further than that, they will have to have everyone healthy, get Hunter back, and have a high hit rate on their risk taking against Utah, Oregon, USC, Oregon State, and UCLA. 

Everything for this team still hangs in the balance in terms of keeping the roster healthy. If they can do that, it should be a fun team to continue to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 7

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
20 hours ago, ztejas said:
So if we had 2 separate guys get injured instead of one during the game? When you are relying on one guy to play both ways it is unfortunately a bigger impact when he gets injured. We were also missing our best RB and lost our starting RG during the game.
And Texas didn't trail after the 1Q last night.

Is not so much that Hunter got hurt, but how he got hurt, IMO.

I think that in instances like this where a guy is clearly taking a cheap shot they should have to sit out the same amount of games that the injured player does. There was no reason for that hit and the insinuation up thread by one of the professional trolls, who has been banned under at least 8 different names, that Hunter is paying for Deion being Deion, is just ugly to read. Nobody deserves to take a shot like that because a player doesn’t like the opposing head coach. We have some really seriously crazy people posting here when I read stuff like that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Loooooootttaaa goalpost moving

Not really. Anyone, who said that CU would struggle to win a game, is well aware they were wrong. I admit CU and Deion are doing a much better job than I assumed they would do. I was guessing they would win a few games and they've proven me wrong. I'm not losing sleep about my mistake because it doesn't matter.

But people who thought they would win 0 or 1 game still have a right to think that they will struggle against some Pac-12 schools. Why is that moving the goal posts? Moving the goal posts would be pretending that you didn’t say something before or that you’re using different evaluations. For me I think Deion has already exceeded the best expectations  

• Hook 'Em 1

Deion Sanders has done more for CU the School and CU the Football Team, not just in the last few weeks but since he arrived there, than every other coach at every other school, ever. 

I never thought much of him as a person, although he was always front and center as an incredible athlete. All due respect given, he stood up and stood out. Still, his schtick has always been annoying to me - and obviously to a whole fucking lot of y'all who post (or even only lurk) hereabouts.

But. Anyone who denies the size and effect of his impact on football in particular and society in general, over the last few years is either a liar or a moron, or both. Whether you like it or not, he has been a force, and he has gained a gigantic following. That may be a Good Thing or a Bad Thing as it plays out... but it's definitely playing out, and it's entertaining.

Entertainment is the name of the game. 

Are you not entertained?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Sidenote: TCU made the national championship game last year with horrific advanced metrics across the board. Football is not baseball or basketball. The sample size is too small and intangibilities have too great an impact for much to be learned from analytics. 

once again, you are talking a bunch of shit about something you know nothing about. par for that course.

TCU finished as the #12 FEI team in the country last year and #9 F+ (FEI + SP+) team in the country. far, far, far from "horrific" lol

they had the 2nd best record split against top 60 teams (UGA went 11-0, TCU went 10-2) and went 6-2 against top 40 teams.

they were easily a top 20 team in unadjusted offensive efficiency, although they were slightly worse on a drive-by-drive basis on offense.

they were an absolutely an elite offense when it came to available yards, PPD and YPP on offense but bad on defense on an unadjusted standpoint.

were less good on unadjusted defensive efficiency, but again they played a very good schedule of offensive teams, which included SMU who finished as the #20 OFEI team in the country, Oklahoma #26, Kansas #14, Kansas State #19, WVU #36, Texas #16, Baylor #25, Michigan #10 and Georgia #2. 9 of the top 26 OFEI teams in the country is difficult.

funny enough, using FEI's game ratings database their defensive game vs Texas was the #1 result of the year across every FBS vs FBS game and about 3x better than any other game on their scheudle

they played FEI's #4 SOS in the country and finished basically exactly where an elite team playing their schedule would finish (ELS said they should lose 2.4 games vs their schedule and they lost 2)

The sample size is too small and intangibilities have too great an impact for much to be learned from analytics. 

by this statement i can tell you know nothing about both analytics and "intangibilities"

every team in the country is looking at analytics in some form or fashion. if you think they aren't you are even dumber than we all think you are.

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

I think that in instances like this where a guy is clearly taking a cheap shot they should have to sit out the same amount of games that the injured player does. There was no reason for that hit and the insinuation up thread by one of the professional trolls, who has been banned under at least 8 different names, that Hunter is paying for Deion being Deion, is just ugly to read. Nobody deserves to take a shot like that because a player doesn’t like the opposing head coach. We have some really seriously crazy people posting here when I read stuff like that. 

It was a hell of lot worse play than that of Kamara  who was (justly) ejected.

I felt the DB should have been ejected immediately.  It was beyond blatant and intent was to injure.  It wasn’t even close.

Edited by slorch

21 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

No, because then it would have been head to head with Texas/Alabama. 11 am is the second best ratings slot they have.

479pw4.jpg

Alabama is playing Mississippi State that day. We're playing Kansas. I'm talking about USC @ Colorado, not the Nebraska game he went to. USC/CU should be prime time, not the ass crack of dawn for Colorado and USC people. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at their schedule Colorado should, and I stress should, be bowl eligible after the game with Arizona on November 11th. The next two games are likely losses, but no shame losing to Oregon and USC. The Arizona schools are both mediocre to be kind about it and Stanford is as well. That seems like a fantastic first year to get to six wins. Any upsets outside of that are just the icing on the cake. I wouldn’t put it past them to beat one of Wazzu or OSU. 

2 hours ago, sidis said:

deion is deion...it's who he is.  which is a highly polarizing guy who makes people that have a vision of how to act with decency should act view him with disdain.  these people understandably view that decency as someone with humility, respect for others, class, no self-aggrandizing, hardworking without asking for accolades etc...  most people are obviously like that.  and they are going to find deion objectionable and take pleasure in his failures and the perceived comeuppance.  i'm certainly not immune to a bit of it.  on the other hand, it is going to make people who just want to be entertained entertained.  especially young, stupid people.

I’m sorry but this is just stupid as fuck. You think someone is not a decent human being because they carry themselves with swagger and wear expensive jewelry? And you don’t think Deion worked hard ever? A 2 sport pro-athlete? How many of his players at JSU and CU are out getting arrested like the ones at Bama, Georgia, and Tennessee of late? Listen to this terrible message to his team after a famous rapper was killed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m sorry but this is just stupid as fuck. You think someone is not a decent human being because they carry themselves with swagger and wear expensive jewelry? And you don’t think Deion worked hard ever? A 2 sport pro-athlete? How many of his players at JSU and CU are out getting arrested like the ones at Bama, Georgia, and Tennessee of late? Listen to this terrible message to his team after a famous rapper was killed. 

you truly are the dumbest and silliest son of a bitch i have ever encountered on a message board, helo.  not just for your idiotic and uninformed hot takes and being wrong about basically everything...but it is also clear that your reading comprehension level would be rightfully described as illiterate.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

you truly are the dumbest and silliest son of a bitch i have ever encountered on a message board, helo.  not just for your idiotic and uninformed hot takes and being wrong about basically everything...but it is also clear that your reading comprehension level would be rightfully described as illiterate.

The charged language and tone of your post as well as your own words clearly indicated that you’re in the camp of people who you describe as viewing Deion as an indecent, lazy person. Whatever you want to say about decency, it’s stupid to say he’s not hardworking. You don’t get to where he got to athletically without working hard. And as a coach he’s now taken 2 losing programs to either immediate success (Jackson st) or at worst immediate improvement (already tripling CU’s prior season win total in his first 3 games). I’m a lot of things but illiterate is not one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

The charged language and tone of your post as well as your own words clearly indicated that you’re in the camp of people who you describe as viewing Deion as an indecent, lazy person. Whatever you want to say about decency, it’s stupid to say he’s not hardworking. You don’t get to where he got to athletically without working hard. And as a coach he’s now taken 2 losing programs to either immediate success (Jackson st) or at worst immediate improvement (already tripling CU’s prior season win total in his first 3 games). I’m a lot of things but illiterate is not one.

read the original post you quoted again, plus all the stuff you very purposefully deleted in your quotation because you are a shit-for-brains troll, very slowly.  see if you can distinguish me describing the central essence of the polarizing nature of deion and the mindset of those who dislike him from me expressing my own opinion regarding deion.  i suspect you are not really capable of it but try anyway.

3 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

...that Hunter is paying for Deion being Deion, is just ugly to read. Nobody deserves to take a shot like that because a player doesn’t like the opposing head coach. We have some really seriously crazy people posting here when I read stuff like that. 

Do you not believe that CU will get their opposing teams best and potentially dirtiest efforts this year, because of all the noise and bravado? I don't think I'm particularly insane or crazy for assuming that.

You think it's a particularly insane or crazy idea to believe that if there were none (or even the normal amount) of the crap talk and drama and "disrespect" being spewed in the lead up to the game that Travis Hunter would NOT have been hurt by a cheap shot

I think it's likely there wouldn't be nearly as much angst, disdain, or hate that clouds these kids and let emotional impulses get the better of them and hit someone late or out of bounds or blind shot, etc.

I blame the CSU kid for his dirty play, I don't blame Travis Hunter, Deion or CU. But let's acknowledge that CU/Deion's go-to-market messaging is provocative, which is putting a target on your back and making yourself loathsome to your rivals and competitors in the zero sum marketplace of competitive college football, and some of these idiots are going to take it personal and unfairly try to hurt you. This is what I think played out last week. 

As I said, I'm more curious to see what the temperature is like coming from Deion and CU when they are 3-2 and if they have the same energy of hype and bravado.

Edited by animaltobacco11

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Oregon is 20.5 point favorites at home this Saturday.

Really interested to see how Colorado plays on the road after having three straight games with a lot of hype. Can they get up for another one? Biggest test of the season so far for them, by a mile. If things go sideways, there will be a lot of folks jumping off the bandwagon.

I don't think anyone is expecting an undefeated season here.  Far from it.  If they can get to a bowl, this season is a huge success.  They likely lose the next 2, but even a split would be huge.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't think anyone is expecting an undefeated season here.  Far from it.  If they can get to a bowl, this season is a huge success.  They likely lose the next 2, but even a split would be huge.

This season has already been a huge success for them by any metric. And I don't want to discount what they've done on the field, but Nebraska and CSU are for sure not good, and I don't think TCU is a world beater, either.

The hype and storyline for them has been off the charts, disproportionately so. I think they have a better than zero chance of getting boat raced in Corvalis on Saturday.  I'm just interested to see what happens to the hype train if they do indeed get taken on a tour of the wood shed this weekend.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This season has already been a huge success for them by any metric. And I don't want to discount what they've done on the field, but Nebraska and CSU are for sure not good, and I don't think TCU is a world beater, either.

The hype and storyline for them has been off the charts, disproportionately so. I think they have a better than zero chance of getting boat raced in Corvalis on Saturday.  I'm just interested to see what happens to the hype train if they do indeed get taken on a tour of the wood shed this weekend.

They have literally a "zero percent chance of getting boat raced in Corvalis on Saturday", I promise.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

As long as they stay healthy at key positions - which I hope they do.  Fun team to watch, but not sure how much depth they have?

I was referring to the fact that the Buffs do not play in Corvallis this year.  This week's game is in Eugene and OSU comes to Boulder.

Team has very little quality depth outside WR and RB.  If they start getting injured the season could go south quickly.  Need to get Van Wells (starting center) back ASAP.  His replacement really struggled on Saturday.

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Team has very little quality depth outside WR and RB.  If they start getting injured the season could go south quickly.  Need to get Van Wells (starting center) back ASAP.  His replacement really struggled on Saturday.

let me fix this for you:

Team has very little quality depth outside WR and RB. 

it is what it is and it's the biggest concern any CU fan should have for this season.

taking out QB rushes (since they include sacks) they are averaging right at 4.0 YPC, that ain't great.  a success rate that is #100/133 is also really not good either.

from gameonpaper preview: https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401524015

there is a very good chance that this game vs Oregon could get ugly quickly. CU are facing the #1 rushing team in the country and CU is the #72 team against the run in the country on a per play basis. they are the 69th in success rate against the run.

Oregon is a top 10 team on a per play basis against the pass in the country.

the Oregon offense passing the ball is also right there with CU, and better on a per play and per game basis while also having a success rate that is a good bit higher.

image.thumb.png.457ddf3e74e61af41dafb120482fb7b5.png

idk whats going to happen totally but the prediction tracker has updated and right now the prediction average is Oregon +20.13 and the median is Oregon +20.99, with the line being Oregon +20 at the moment I think?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Bill Snyder’s gotta be right up there, too. 

he's the absolute answer to this question btw (what coach has done the most for his program ever)

this stat is from a post last year but the #s haven't changed that much

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/a-stat-that-backs-up-mike-gundys-claim-that-bill-snyder-is-the-best-college-coach-ever/

In 27 seasons at K-State, Snyder was 215-117-1, a .646 winning percentage. Without Snyder coaching the Wildcats, K-State is 276-499-34, a .341 winning percentage.

image.thumb.png.65642d5330534b5d03ee81d063d959bc.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, NoName said:

let me fix this for you:

it is what it is and it's the biggest concern any CU fan should have for this season.

taking out QB rushes (since they include sacks) they are averaging right at 4.0 YPC, that ain't great.  a success rate that is #100/133 is also really not good either.

from gameonpaper preview: https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401524015

there is a very good chance that this game vs Oregon could get ugly quickly. CU are facing the #1 rushing team in the country and CU is the #72 team against the run in the country on a per play basis. they are the 69th in success rate against the run.

Oregon is a top 10 team on a per play basis against the pass in the country.

the Oregon offense passing the ball is also right there with CU, and better on a per play and per game basis while also having a success rate that is a good bit higher.

image.thumb.png.457ddf3e74e61af41dafb120482fb7b5.png

idk whats going to happen totally but the prediction tracker has updated and right now the prediction average is Oregon +20.13 and the median is Oregon +20.99, with the line being Oregon +20 at the moment I think?

I love your charts like you're trying to bigtime me and educate me on the team I follow.  Just fuck off already.  I am well aware that CU likely loses the next 2 games and that they have the possibility to get ugly.  I've already posted as much in this thread if you'd bother to read.

CU's WR and RB rooms are far deeper than the rest of the team, BTW.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I love your charts like you're trying to bigtime me and educate me on the team I follow.  Just fuck off already.  I am well aware that CU likely loses the next 2 games and that they have the possibility to get ugly.  I've already posted as much in this thread if you'd bother to read.

CU's WR and RB rooms are far deeper than the rest of the team, BTW.

uh, i'm absolutely not trying to big time anyone. nor am i trying to educate you personally. personally, IDGAF about you or know anything about you other than you think Texas is full of racists?

would you have felt better if i made them two posts instead of one? here is the thought process i went through since you think it was directed at you. poster mention RB room -> i look it up the results, and they are shit --> i i think "hey maybe game on paper has updated preview out that includes week 3 numbers" -> they do -> i share that here.

no reason to be a bitch about this or anything else i've posted numbers wise. numbers are just numbers. they can't hurt you and shouldn't hurt your feelings.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I love your charts like you're trying to bigtime me and educate me on the team I follow.  Just fuck off already.

@NoName does a great job of sharing factual information that is actually helpful. He's not just posting to somehow insult you. Jeez. 

I have an honest question for you. Since so many people here seem to make you angry, wouldn't you enjoy your time more posting on a University of Colorado fan forum? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

@NoName does a great job of sharing factual information that is actually helpful. He's not just posting to somehow insult you. Jeez. 

I have an honest question for you. Since so many people here seem to make you angry, wouldn't you enjoy your time more posting on a University of Colorado fan forum? 

If coming here made me angry, I would stop coming here.  But thanks for your concern!  I can tell it's 100% genuine!

32 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I like both you and Chewy.  Both of y'all bring good content in your respective arenas.  

I'm not even Pro-CU on this discussion, and I'm like damn, why some folks so defensive about Chewbacca?

Is it wrong for him to advocate for his school?

I'm not a fan of the "love it or leave it( comply motherfucker!!!) mindset towards surly.  It takes all of us, just listen to the NFL...( SMDH...LOL)

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

I like both you and Chewy.  Both of y'all bring good content in your respective arenas.  

I'm not even Pro-CU on this discussion, and I'm like damn, why some folks so defensive about Chewbacca?

Is it wrong for him to advocate for his school?

I'm not a fan of the "love it or leave it( comply motherfucker!!!) mindset towards surly.  It takes all of us, just listen to the NFL...( SMDH...LOL)

I have no problem whatsoever with people coming here and advocating for their school. We have many great, long-time posters who root for OSU, theOSU, UCLA, Iowa State, etc.

However, I don't recall any of those good people like @'stache coming here to inform us that we're all racists, or telling posters like @NoName to fuck off for sharing relevant and informative charts. I don't see that as advocating for his school. I see that as bad posting. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1