Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

On 8/19/2023 at 7:43 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Don't start sandbagging on us now. Where is the prediction post? It's about that time of year again. 

not going to lie, having spent the previous 60 days in bozeman i am more disconnected from collegiate football than i have ever been, however that will not stop me from making my always 100% accurate season prediction this week as soon as i sober up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, bizzle said:

not going to lie, having spent the previous 60 days in bozeman i am more disconnected from collegiate football than i have ever been, however that will not stop me from making my always 100% accurate season prediction this week as soon as i sober up.

At least give us an update on Montana state football then. Go cats. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

8 minutes ago, bizzle said:

This season might send you completely off the grid next.

• Haha 1

I was in Bozeman last May with my wife for a long weekend. It was awesome. One day, we went hiking towards some local waterfall and my wife decided that tennis shoes without socks made a lot of sense. We got caught in a snow storm about halfway up and she damned near got frostbite. I had to carry her in some spots where it was too icy for her fucking tennis shoes, but, hey, she got to see her waterfall and secretly force me to workout.

We are up near the top of the trail by the waterfall and it's snowing kind of hard and through the forest, I see something large moving between the trees in our direction. I had a split second to grab the bear spray or simply throw my wife in front of me and take off. For some reason, I grabbed the spray.

Half-jogging, half-sprinting out of the woods is some fucking special ops nature boy. Manbun, chiseled, wearing a backpack that probably weighed 50 pounds, wearing a fleece, shorts and hiking boots, this fucking lunatic stops to talk to us for a bit and is running in place. He offered to meet us for a drink before dinner later and I don't think he had a thing for me meriting the invite. Any who, fuck that guy but thank you for your service. He said adios and went back to running down the fucking snow covered mountain in his shorts.

Where were we?

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was in Bozeman last May with my wife for a long weekend. It was awesome. One day, we went hiking towards some local waterfall and my wife decided that tennis shoes without socks made a lot of sense. We got caught in a snow storm about halfway up and she damned near got frostbite. I had to carry her in some spots where it was too icy for her fucking tennis shoes, but, hey, she got to see her waterfall and secretly force me to workout.

We are up near the top of the trail by the waterfall and it's snowing kind of hard and through the forest, I see something large moving between the trees in our direction. I had a split second to grab the bear spray or simply throw my wife in front of me and take off. For some reason, I grabbed the spray.

Half-jogging, half-sprinting out of the woods is some fucking special ops nature boy. Manbun, chiseled, wearing a backpack that probably weighed 50 pounds, wearing a fleece, shorts and hiking boots, this fucking lunatic stops to talk to us for a bit and is running in place. He offered to meet us for a drink before dinner later and I don't think he had a thing for me meriting the invite. Any who, fuck that guy but thank you for your service. He said adios and went back to running down the fucking snow covered mountain in his shorts.

Where were we?

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is a pretty interesting article.

Tarp has traversed the spectrum in his assessment of the aggies - at one point, he was hypercritical and pessimistic.  He then drank the Fisher Kool-aid, and got burned.  He is now cautious, and he's been writing a few articles along these lines.

This also reminded me of comments from a few here, that Owens' lack of experience in pass pro (coming from a high school offense that hardly passed) could be a issue for him, at least early on.

This surely augurs well:

"Last season, A&M’s backs graded out near the bottom at pass protection than any other group in the Southeastern Conference per Pro Football Focus. Not only that, but they also allowed more pressures (10 of them on 67 opportunities) than anyone else."

Here's the full enchilada:

Unlikely position group key to A&M generating long passes

Tarp (Aggie 247)

Spoiler

Unlikely position group key to A&M generating long passes

Tarp (Aggie 247)

Texas A&M’s fall camp has been marked by an increased emphasis on getting the ball downfield in the passing game. It’s been paying off since there have been more long plays per people we’ve talked to. This was evident in the open practice where outside receivers Evan Stewart and Noah Thomas were the two best players on that side of the ball.

However, when you try to hit big plays, you’re also attempting to hold the ball longer to allow your quarterback to make reads and your receivers to maneuver downfield to get open for such throws. This stresses your pass protection and while fans tend to think about the offensive line in such matters, your backs also play a big role in picking up edge players and blitzers. That responsibility grows if you’re going to roll with four wideouts due to the lack of a tight end which threatens a defense moreso with running the ball (and can affect the pass rush in this manner). The ball needs to come out quick and when it doesn’t then there’s a greater chance of your quarterback taking hits and eventually being unavailable. Not only that, the smaller the backs (which plays a role in getting them out quickly and into space in the passing game), the harder it is for them to pick bigger people up.

Last season, A&M’s backs graded out near the bottom at pass protection than any other group in the Southeastern Conference per Pro Football Focus. Not only that, but they also allowed more pressures (10 of them on 67 opportunities) than anyone else.

A&M’s backs in 2023 that are expected to see the most playing time include Amari Daniels (who’s 5-foot-8 but willing to take people on), Le’Veon Moss (the biggest of the trio), and frosh Rueben Owens (the least experienced at it). Daniels and Owens have looked good carrying the ball but if new offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino wants to be able to air it out, then they’re going to have to be equally adept at pass pro as they are at running the ball (and this isn’t easy to figure out in a scrimmage situation).

While A&M can use them in different ways in order to avoid such chores, it limits your offense when do this because they become situational players in every down scenarios. Defenses can dial in on what’s more likely to be called based on their skill sets. In addition, if they smell blood in the water with regard to a back's pass protection capabilities, they’ll attack your protections to get better pass rushers or bigger players going up directly against them.

In the end, we really won’t know how effective they are until real football begins next month due to the restrictions that all scrimmages carry in terms of contact on the quarterback (and even other players). Nonetheless, if A&M’s going to be a long ball offense more akin to what you see at Tennessee, Ole Miss, and South Carolina (all of whom ranked in the top four in the league in the number of passes over 20 yards and had five of the SEC’s top backs in PFF's pass protection grades), then the runners are going to have to be a big part of the protection and will have to sacrifice their games to make it happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Where were we?

Ousel falls?  

Where were we?

5c87f4229ab644510c24d3e40efa776c.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Been gone for a few weeks, so I'm catching up. Just a few things jumping out at me from the period. Sorry if they've already attracted attention and comment.

From Liucci's report of August 16:

image.png.9dfa7d13a78783ca845e101567d6ba5f.png

Goddamn. Just how few in their locker room really care about football? I recall Quandre Diggs remarking about the number of Longhorns who didn't "love football" back in the thick of the malaise. Yikes! (Yippee!)

Also, Aggie nobodies scoring if they get past the line of scrimmage against their defense should be more than a little worrisome.

Compliments to @closetojumping for his analysis.

More from Liucci:

image.png.747b10ce9aba74d20957e7636bce0eb0.png

He writes this after noting that Ewers had been hit and beat up. 

image.png.2ed8ec9860d6ddc69bc4c109541aa75f.png

1 What in the fuck is this supposed to mean? You can tell Billy wrote this.

2 Where is this world, Billy? Is the planet called Non Sequiturn?

3 Like the tide: incoming in summer, outgoing in winter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Been gone for a few weeks, so I'm catching up. Just a few things jumping out at me from the period. Sorry if they've already attracted attention and comment.

From Liucci's report of August 16:

image.png.9dfa7d13a78783ca845e101567d6ba5f.png

Goddamn. Just how few in their locker room really care about football? I recall Quandre Diggs remarking about the number of Longhorns who didn't "love football" back in the thick of the malaise. Yikes! (Yippee!)

Also, Aggie nobodies scoring if they get past the line of scrimmage against their defense should be more than a little worrisome.

Compliments to @closetojumping for his analysis.

More from Liucci:

image.png.747b10ce9aba74d20957e7636bce0eb0.png

He writes this after noting that Ewers had been hit and beat up. 

image.png.2ed8ec9860d6ddc69bc4c109541aa75f.png

1 What in the fuck is this supposed to mean? You can tell Billy wrote this.

2 Where is this world, Billy? Is the planet called Non Sequiturn?

3 Like the tide: incoming in summer, outgoing in winter.

rick james cocaine GIF

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That kid's mom really fucked over his life. He could have come here and quit football and become an Olympian in the shot.

To compound her shittiness, if she couldn't possibly abide him in Austin, Oregon and UCLA - who also boast tremendous throwing programs in T&F - both offered Foster and she could have let him matriculate to either.  She's just a selfish Little League or Chess circuit parent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

To compound her shittiness, if she couldn't possibly abide him in Austin, Oregon and UCLA - who also boast tremendous throwing programs in T&F - both offered Foster and she could have let him matriculate to either.  She's just a selfish Little League or Chess circuit parent.

Whoa. I know he's an aggy but let's not insult him too much. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

I guess all's well with Bryce Foster, after all.

image.thumb.png.7918775d2dfa5cf3822ec8ff671ac035.png

It’s almost like people here have had Foster pegged for years now, as well as the dynamic with his piece of shit mother, and aTm has just been denying reality the entire time. 

Next we’re going to slowly start hearing how Featheree juuuust seems snake bit by the injury bug and can’t seem to put on weight. Weird. 

when Weigman suffers permanent brain damage, we might start to hear them whisper that he’d had a couple concussions in HS.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cafe society said:

I’ve been to A&M once, I have been on the UCLA campus dozens of times and I have seen “Animal House” (Oregon) dozens of times. 

His mom absolutely sucks for making him go to College Station. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What were Foster’s Olympics chances as a senior at Taylor? I agree with the posters above, UCLA and Oregon would have been much better than aggy if he wanted to be a T&F first athlete. His mother was never going to let him go to Texas. 

Looks like he was just about as good as Crouser in HS. Difference is Crouser added 10ish ft in college and Foster hasn't even added 1 ft

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:04 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

What were Foster’s Olympics chances as a senior at Taylor? I agree with the posters above, UCLA and Oregon would have been much better than aggy if he wanted to be a T&F first athlete. His mother was never going to let him go to Texas. 

Foster should have come to Texas if he wanted to focus on track and field. 

Zeb Sion is arguably the best throws coach in the country. Tripp Piperi won a few national titles at Texas in the shot put with Sion as his coach. He also coaches Valarie Allman who won a gold medal at the '20 Olympics. 

Allman is also a volunteer assistant in throws which is a big plus. Needless to say, Fosters mom is a moron for not picking Texas. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

IMG_20230828_143707.jpg

ATM is getting desperate in a few spots. CB is one of them. They'll always try to go apeshit at DT, no matter how many they have. They're selling a really big year to guys and begging them to hold off on commitments and watch them take off this season. It's a gamble. They're willing to go above and beyond reasonable, but there is a deep amount of skepticism about them with recruits. They're no longer an "it" team, meaning, they're no longer one of ten schools playing the bag game and offering 3x market to get guys beyond the other baggers. 

The other thing they're doing is selling Sarkisian as a born failure who can't win 10 games. Going hard in on the "what happens when he starts going on benders? have you guys seen what happened at USC?" They have to, because that's the best they have. They're selling "Venables can't win, Kelly can't win the big one, and Saban will be retired in 2 years" positions as well. They have to, because they're under attack from all sides and they don't want to talk about 5-7. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

ATM is getting desperate in a few spots. CB is one of them. They'll always try to go apeshit at DT, no matter how many they have. They're selling a really big year to guys and begging them to hold off on commitments and watch them take off this season. It's a gamble. They're willing to go above and beyond reasonable, but there is a deep amount of skepticism about them with recruits. They're no longer an "it" team, meaning, they're no longer one of ten schools playing the bag game and offering 3x market to get guys beyond the other baggers. 

The other thing they're doing is selling Sarkisian as a born failure who can't win 10 games. Going hard in on the "what happens when he starts going on benders? have you guys seen what happened at USC?" They have to, because that's the best they have. They're selling "Venables can't win, Kelly can't win the big one, and Saban will be retired in 2 years" positions as well. They have to, because they're under attack from all sides and they don't want to talk about 5-7. 

Nancy Pelosi Democrats GIF by GIPHY News

Edited by RollingPresidential