Patty Jenkins' Cleopatra - Starring Gal Gadot

Viper

I don't know, it's a lot to live up to
15iht-cleopatra15-pic1-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

Wilford Brimley once had to meet Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton for dinner to stand-in for Howard Hughes, who didn’t want to go. Wilford said she was the nicest person he’d ever met.

And now you know the rest of the story.

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also Egypt isn’t the Middle East. It’s North Africa. 

True enough, but it is kind of identified with the Middle East for the last century or so.

A lot of Egyptians were "black" or 'nubian," but people fail to realize that it was ruled by Macedonian Greeks for three centuries and was a Roman satellite state during much of that time.

As a Jew of Central European descent, Gadot is probably ethnically fairly accurate.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

True enough, but it is kind of identified with the Middle East for the last century or so.

A lot of Egyptians were "black" or 'nubian," but people fail to realize that it was ruled by Macedonian Greeks for three centuries and was a Roman satellite state during much of that time.

As a Jew of Central European descent, Gadot is probably ethnically fairly accurate.

i guess it depends on what you mean by "a lot". Most ancient Egyptians looked pretty much like what today's Egyptians look like.

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Wilford Brimley once had to meet Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton for dinner to stand-in for Howard Hughes, who didn’t want to go. Wilford said she was the nicest sweetest person he’d ever met.

And now you know the rest of the story.

(diabeetus)

• Hook 'Em 1

Ptolemaic Dynasty also had a ton of inbreeding, so there's was no chance for Cleopatra to be any ethnicity but Greek. Anyone outraged by an olive skinned Cleopatra is just showing they don't know the history of Egypt like they thought they did.

This is odd. 

Alexander the Great conquered Egypt, famously founding the city of Alexandria where he landed to begin his conquest of the Middle East and India. After his death in India, one of his Generals Ptolemy Soter, stole his body and had it entombed in Alexandria where he assumed the throne of the ancient kingdom becoming Ptolemy I. Lots of his commanders who had been with him for 20 yrs also settled there since as conquers they where entitled to their vanquished noble counterparts land, wealth and harems there by turning Egypt into a Hellenistic state. 

The nobility was primarily Greek for 500 years meaning that Cleopatra was almost entirely Greek since the available population pool her ancestors were culturally able to marry was also Greek. 

In conclusion, I’m in. Maybe slap some bronzer on Gals cleavage if it will calm the Twitters 

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Read more  

Ptolemaic Dynasty also had a ton of inbreeding, so there's was no chance for Cleopatra to be any ethnicity but Greek. Anyone outraged by an olive skinned Cleopatra is just showing they don't know the history of Egypt like they thought they did.

So it was like original SEC?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Cleopatra was Greek.

To clarify, Cleopatra was of Greek descent.  She was born in Egypt.

I think people are basically outraged that a Jew is playing the leader of a Muslim country.  Or that a white woman is playing a brown woman.  I know, I know.  But people are that fucking stupid these days.

39 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I think people are basically outraged that a Jew is playing the leader of a Muslim country.  Or that a white woman is playing a brown woman.  I know, I know.  But people are that fucking stupid these days.

When America can't even agree on more movies starring Gal Gadot being a good thing, you know America is fucked.

She can play FDR in a movie for all I care.  She's awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Gal Gadot is hot without a doubt, but is there some groundswell of demand for this movie to be remade? (Surly - you mean beyond the groundswell in my pants - Surly)

Not once have I ever heard someone say "Man, you know what should be dusted off & remade? Cleopatra!"

Just seems like a ready made bomb, or "Wonder Woman" sans super-powers.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Chariot wheelhouse.

Probably the 2nd woman ArmyBrat fucked, after Mitochondrial Eve. 

40 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Gal Gadot is hot without a doubt, but is there some groundswell of demand for this movie to be remade? (Surly - you mean beyond the groundswell in my pants - Surly)

Not once have I ever heard someone say "Man, you know what should be dusted off & remade? Cleopatra!"

Um, Hollywood is still out of ideas.  Might as well remake something. 

47 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

U say that, but it's actually on my watchlist this week.  That movie is epic

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, but wasn't she alive about 550 years before Muhammed was even born? So, Egypt was not a Muslim country then because there was no such thing.

• Hook 'Em 4