Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

She wants more money. 4 years on RRC, she can go private.  
Just one drunken tidbit from a guy who'd know out West.  We'll see.  Unless she knows about a new district being drawn that would favor her for U.S. Congress but she likes being in Texas full time. 

She doesn’t need to make a stop at the commission to make money. Plenty of firms are happy to have a justice on the payroll.

Guest Lobo

I’m sure she’ll be the next Austin celebrity at Jackson walker.  She just indicated wanting energy money to a notes west Texas oil GOP’er.  Probably nothing.  Don’t car e 

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

I hope it's Lt. Gov.  Jeff Rose gonna kick himself for not sticking around longer to wait out that seat. 

What's Jeff Rose doing these days?  Why isn't he available for that SCOTX seat (he sure has done plenty of lobbying for it).

As to Justice Guzman--I suspect that she is running for Lt. Gov.  Patrick only got 73% in the Republican primary in 2018 against nobody in particular.  That certainly indicates that he might be vulnerable to a primary challenge.  And if I was interested in maintaining GQP power in this state, then a Hispanic woman in the No. 2 slot would probably be pretty attractive to me.

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

If that's the case, that's a real interesting race.  She definitely has a path, but I honestly don't see how that doesn't go to a runoff.

I would imagine it's an easy sell to the Republican BMDs.

In fact, I'd guess that she has already been talking to the BMDs, and would not have resigned her spot if she didn't already have a lot of stuff lined up.

She presents one helluva alternative to Paxton - she's Hispanic and female, she's not under any kind of criminal investigation and is coming from the TX Supreme Court, she didn't have a bunch of aides run to the feds claiming she was corrupt, she doesn't have any connections to Nate Paul, etc.

In fact, I'd guess that she has already been talking to the BMDs, and would not have resigned her spot if she didn't already have a lot of stuff lined up.
She presents one helluva alternative to Paxton - she's Hispanic and female, she's not under any kind of criminal investigation and is coming from the TX Supreme Court, she didn't have a bunch of aides run to the feds claiming she was corrupt, she doesn't have any connections to Nate Paul, etc.

Counterpoint: she doesn’t MAGA hard enough. And….she can’t be trusted to protect America because…you know why.

Paxton wins the primary. He might even do it without a runoff. Because he MAGAs so hard. With Jesus.

Counterpoint: she doesn’t MAGA hard enough. And….she can’t be trusted to protect America because…you know why.

Paxton wins the primary. He might even do it without a runoff. Because he MAGAs so hard. With Jesus.

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

9A2791DD-9C15-4BD9-9B59-E5FC0358C04B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Counter-Counterpoint:  If you're a Republican BMD in Texas, do you want to throw money at Paxton, knowing that all of this shit will catch up with him, and that we probably don't even know half the shit that he's done or been witness to, and that the feds/etc. know about thanks to his top aides turning on him?  

If BMDs bail on Paxton, does Trump fund his campaign?  Because I don't see Trump donating much to Paxton, if at all (or any candidate that can't directly benefit Trump).

Right now, Paxton is sitting on $5.5 million.  That could go pretty fast if he's getting hammered by both Guzman and George P., especially if they start in the next few months.  George P is sitting on nearly $2 million, while Guzman is sitting on a few hundred thousand, but all they have to do is run simple ads with the mugshot below, along with a few tagline about how his top Republican aides turned him into the feds, and Paxton is playing defense the whole way.

And you can bet that all of the rumors about his affairs will be floating around in public, and not just amongst forums like Surly, or among Texas Tribune readers.  Republicans are damn good at gutting each other in primaries.

55bfde5699eaa.image.jpg

Edited by atomheartbevo

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Counter-Counterpoint:  If you're a Republican BMD in Texas, do you want to throw money at Paxton, knowing that all of this shit will catch up with him, and that we probably don't even know half the shit that he's done or been witness to, and that the feds/etc. know about thanks to his top aides turning on him?  

If BMDs bail on Paxton, does Trump fund his campaign?  Because I don't see Trump donating much to Paxton, if at all (or any candidate that can't directly benefit Trump).

Right now, Paxton is sitting on $5.5 million.  That could go pretty fast if he's getting hammered by both Guzman and George P., especially if they start in the next few months.  George P is sitting on nearly $2 million, while Guzman is sitting on a few hundred thousand, but all they have to do is run simple ads with the mugshot below, along with a few tagline about how his top Republican aides turned him into the feds, and Paxton is playing defense the whole way.

And you can bet that all of the rumors about his affairs will be floating around in public, and not just amongst forums like Surly, or among Texas Tribune readers.  Republicans are damn good at gutting each other in primaries.

55bfde5699eaa.image.jpg

Counter-Counter-Counterpoint: Texas MAGA DGAF about anything except MAGA. There pretty much isn't anything a MAGA politician can do that would have consequences except going against Trump.

As far as the "law" is concerned, it's pretty obvious at this point that there are no real consequences for violating the law for the political class.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did y’all know that we now have Project 1836 in Texas? Take that Nichole Hannah Jones!

Under HB 2497, the 1836 Project is essentially just the name of an advisory committee designed to promote the state’s history to Texas residents, largely through pamphlets given to people receiving driver’s licenses. It will also award students on their knowledge of the state’s history and values.

But critics are concerned the new project is a part of Republicans’ nationwide push to limit the discussion of critical race theory in schools. House Bill 3979, now awaiting Abbott’s approval, will limit how Texas educators can discuss current events and racism in the U.S. The 1836 Project also requires the promotion of “the Christian heritage of this state.” Another piece of legislation awaiting Abbott’s signature, Senate Bill 797, requires Texas schools to display the term “In God We Trust” across campus buildings if such signage is donated to them.

One controversial aspect of the 1836 Project is its name. Some critics have pointed out that Texas’ independence didn’t apply to all of those living in the state at the time, such as slaves and indigenous groups. The Constitution of the Republic of Texas, passed in 1836, legalized slavery and excluded indigenous groups from gaining independence.

“1836 marked independence for some, but for others marks a period of slavery and pain and expectoration for many, many people who live there,” said Maggie Stern, a youth civic education and engagement coordinator at the Children’s Defense Fund in Texas.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/09/texas-1836-project/

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Did y’all know that we now have Project 1836 in Texas? Take that Nichole Hannah Jones!

Under HB 2497, the 1836 Project is essentially just the name of an advisory committee designed to promote the state’s history to Texas residents, largely through pamphlets given to people receiving driver’s licenses. It will also award students on their knowledge of the state’s history and values.

But critics are concerned the new project is a part of Republicans’ nationwide push to limit the discussion of critical race theory in schools. House Bill 3979, now awaiting Abbott’s approval, will limit how Texas educators can discuss current events and racism in the U.S. The 1836 Project also requires the promotion of “the Christian heritage of this state.” Another piece of legislation awaiting Abbott’s signature, Senate Bill 797, requires Texas schools to display the term “In God We Trust” across campus buildings if such signage is donated to them.

One controversial aspect of the 1836 Project is its name. Some critics have pointed out that Texas’ independence didn’t apply to all of those living in the state at the time, such as slaves and indigenous groups. The Constitution of the Republic of Texas, passed in 1836, legalized slavery and excluded indigenous groups from gaining independence.

“1836 marked independence for some, but for others marks a period of slavery and pain and expectoration for many, many people who live there,” said Maggie Stern, a youth civic education and engagement coordinator at the Children’s Defense Fund in Texas.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/09/texas-1836-project/

Aside from the general purpose stupidity and subtle cruelty, I am simply floored by the sheer importance of this legislation to the State of Texas.

If Ken Paxton is smart, and not the owner of a lazy eye, he will buy this for George P Bush and claim he bought it on his own, and tie it to the cenotaph 

New Book Challenges Readers To Confront History Of Slavery By Forgetting The ‘Alamo Of Our Dreams’

In “Forget the Alamo,” three Texas authors dismantle Texas’ origin story.

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/new-book-challenges-readers-to-confront-history-of-slavery-by-forgetting-the-alamo-of-our-dreams/ 

This is all setting off quite a chain reaction, almost down to Fitlump.  

George running for AG.  guzman about to declare from SCTX to AG race.    Buckingham gonna leave Senate to run for GLO Commissioner.  Her Senate seat up for grabs, so Ellen Troxclair gonna jump in and run for it.  I'm sure Dr. Campbell may try for Ag Commissioner with Sid fucking around.  So that leaves Fitlump inspired by many conservative ladies thinking about her next move.  $50 says she either declares for Mayor in 2022 or Empress of the Sun.  

Edited by Lobo

They make a big deal of highlighting Juneteenth, all the while missing the irony of keeping black Texans enslaved two who years after having been freed. Our statewide office holders are an embarrassment and a disgrace.

Edited by Satchel
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

The 1836 Project also requires the promotion of “the Christian heritage of this state.” Another piece of legislation awaiting Abbott’s signature, Senate Bill 797, requires Texas schools to display the term “In God We Trust” across campus buildings if such signage is donated to them.

How about fuck yourself?

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This is all setting off quite a chain reaction, almost down to Fitlump.  

George running for AG.  guzman about to declare from SCTX to AG race.    Buckingham gonna leave Senate to run for GLO Commissioner.  Her Senate seat up for grabs, so Ellen Troxclair gonna jump in and run for it.  I'm sure Dr. Campbell may try for Ag Commissioner with Sid fucking around.  So that leaves Fitlump inspired by many conservative ladies thinking about her next move.  $50 says she either declares for Mayor in 2022 or Empress of the Sun.  

mk3.png

@Lobo Here's my thinking on Fitlump:

This is the most money she has ever made.  She's making enough to buy multiple dresses so that she rarely has to pull out Ole Red. She's not going to take a pay cut unless she gets term-limited.   She's making $75,000 a year, and no way in hell she shifts to the legislature for only $7,200 a year.

Fox Troxy can jump into the Senate and take the pay cut for now, because she's got connections and has made solid money elsewhere.

Fitlump is actually keeping her shit together (or more likely she has a lump whisperer), she has made the national media, is getting interviewed fairly often on local media, has inserted herself in the middle of what shouldn't be the #1 priority in Austin, but is (at least as far as the media and the clutch-your-pearls types). She is making all kinds of connections with various conservative groups and leaders across the country, and getting lots of endorsements.  She publicly turned on Allen West in a heartbeat when that's what the tea leaves showed she should do.  She's kept the really Trumpy shit off of her twitter feed (which is really fucking shocking when you think about it).

In short, I don't know where she goes from here, but I'm guessing either a mayoral run (kinda doubtful because her tit pics will definitely be splashed around, unlike last year) or some kind of state office, or a US House seat.

12 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

If Ken Paxton is smart, and not the owner of a lazy eye, he will buy this for George P Bush and claim he bought it on his own, and tie it to the cenotaph 

New Book Challenges Readers To Confront History Of Slavery By Forgetting The ‘Alamo Of Our Dreams’

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/new-book-challenges-readers-to-confront-history-of-slavery-by-forgetting-the-alamo-of-our-dreams/ 

Some revisionism to the myth is needed-I’ve posted on here before on some thread about how the “revolution” should rightly be linked to slavery as a contributing factor.

But just trying to grind your ideological ax leads to silly statements like this:

”Tomlinson says the idea that Santa Anna, the Mexican general against which the Texans are said to have fought courageously, was “evil or dastardly” is plain wrong. He says the general was determined to end slavery in Texas, and had a right to do so.

“This was a government defending its rightful territory from invaders who had brought slaves and slavery into a post-colonial nation founded on egalitarian principles,” he said.”

Come on.

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Some revisionism to the myth is needed-I’ve posted on here before on some thread about how the “revolution” should rightly be linked to slavery as a contributing factor.

But just trying to grind your ideological ax leads to silly statements like this:

”Tomlinson says the idea that Santa Anna, the Mexican general against which the Texans are said to have fought courageously, was “evil or dastardly” is plain wrong. He says the general was determined to end slavery in Texas, and had a right to do so.

“This was a government defending its rightful territory from invaders who had brought slaves and slavery into a post-colonial nation founded on egalitarian principles,” he said.”

Come on.

Yeah.  You and I have a fundamental disagreement about the role slavery played in motivating the Texas Revolution.  But the conclusion that Santa Anna wasn't a brutal dictator who had seized power through extra-constitutional means (prompting rebellions in about a dozen Mexican states) is absurd.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I am going to get that book.  I like Bryan Burrough.  I find his books are well done.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our statewide office holders are an embarrassment and a disgrace.

To stick with the counterpoint theme: Our statewide officeholders consistently cruise to re-election and are an accurate reflection of the values, priorities, and intelligence of the people of Texas.
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

To stick with the counterpoint theme: Our statewide officeholders consistently cruise to re-election and are an accurate reflection of the values, priorities, and intelligence of the people of Texas.

Texas Exceptionalism!

You may all go to hell, I am going to Texas!*

*Which is basically hell if you're not a straight, white Christian man

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/31/2021 at 7:28 PM, Chooky said:

I haven't been to the Whitney Plantation, but we did visit the Oak Alley Plantation outside of New Orleans.  Let's just say that Oak Alley seems to take a drastically different approach to their tours than the Whitney.  It was mainly a celebratory and romanticized homage to the owners, the Roman family.  I'd like to think that was based on the personality of our tour guide.  But probably not.  They book fucking weddings.  People have weddings at the Oak Alley Plantation.  White people.

Oak_Alley_Plantation_Weddings49.jpg

DozierWed230z_BrayDaniellePhotography.jp

2.jpg

I wonder if they danced in Beyonce's steps while there.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

To stick with the counterpoint theme: Our statewide officeholders consistently cruise to re-election and are an accurate reflection of the values, priorities, and intelligence of the (minority of people who vote in) Texas.

With last November being the outlier, Texas still has the lowest voter engagement in the country.

Apparently we're gonna build a wall between Texas and Mexico.  No details, no funding, but Abbott says he's gonna do that all in his next term.  

Stay tuned for absolute fucking lunacy, part 137.

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Apparently we're gonna build a wall between Texas and Mexico.  No details, no funding, but Abbott says he's gonna do that all in his next term.  

Did you say lunacy? That's like Louis Gohmert (per Dan Rather). It must be contagious. I am glad I'm vaccinated.

With last November being the outlier, Texas still has the lowest voter engagement in the country.

And as we saw when typical turnout trends went out the window in 2018 to 2020, turns out the existing level of turnout is a pretty good sample size when it comes to gauging the entire population.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

And as we saw when typical turnout trends went out the window in 2018 to 2020, turns out the existing level of turnout is a pretty good sample size when it comes to gauging the entire population.

That would make Texas the only minority majority state that votes conservatively.

Just straight up pathetic appealing to the Trumpkin wing to try to survive the primary.

Y’all think the GQP is insane and shitty today. Just wait….in no time, you’ll be looking back wistfully at this version of the GQP as a relatively kind and sane one. They are at a full sprint/roll to the insane right, and they aren’t slowing down.
  • Rage+1 1