Take the L, Pussy (Documenting the Coup Until Trump Concedes)

Firemans4Horn

Just now, Llogg said:

It absolutely was unreasonable. As evidenced by the last 4 years.

Nothing is ever going to change your opinion, and that's cool.  The vote for Hillary in 2016 was NEVER going to happen from my perspective.

If anything, the Dems own some of the Trump presidency for having such a shit candidate in 2016.  It seems virtually impossible that anyone could lose to Trump.  Look at 2020...

Just now, slorch said:

Nothing is ever going to change your opinion, and that's cool.  The vote for Hillary in 2016 was NEVER going to happen from my perspective.

If anything, the Dems own some of the Trump presidency for having such a shit candidate in 2016.  It seems virtually impossible that anyone could lose to Trump.  Look at 2020...

I'll grant you the latter. I said as much at the time. They rigged the primary and gave the bumblefuck a chance, but it's people like you who gave him the presidency.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I'll grant you the latter. I said as much at the time. They rigged the primary and gave the bumblefuck a chance, but it's people like you who gave him the presidency.

I'm not a Russian...

220px-Portrait_of_Ruhollah_Khomeini.jpgthought this guy was the devil when i was 5-6 apparently he came to power in 79 i was 5 . also i was born the day tricky dick resigned 

I was distinctly remember the Ayatollah Khomeini and the hostage crisis.

And I was born one month after Nixon resigned.

I also remember my dad being a huge Jimmy Carter fan and getting teary eyed when he won because he reminded him of his late father who was a farmer from Alabama.

His conversion from the man in that memory to the Fox News, Facebook brainwashed rapid Trumpkin he is now makes me teary eyed.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

My earliest political/ world events memory is watching reports of  the fall of Saigon.  I was 5.

Did it all make sense to me?  Of course not.  Basically I was hoping Americans were getting out alive, while being completely unaware of the other implications for all parties involved.

My first such memory was when I was 6. Operation Desert Storm. I remember my mom crying watching the news, and all I saw on the screen were a bunch of pretty glowing dots flying up into the night sky  (AA tracer fire). I was pretty confused. 

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

Clinton might be a terrible person but her presidency would have been infinitely better for America than Trump. Voting against a person you don't like is different than voting against someone unfit for office.

Exactly. I had to hold my nose to vote for Hilldawg (also my first D vote ever, the first of many to come), but that pales to the seppuku that would have been necessary if I'd voted for dotard instead. 

7 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Exactly. I had to hold my nose to vote for Hilldawg (also my first D vote ever, the first of many to come), but that pales to the seppuku that would have been necessary if I'd voted for dotard instead. 

Here's the thing though.  I didn't vote for either of them because of my distaste.  However, I misunderestimated what a shitheel Donald J. Trump is and precisely how unfit for the presidency he was.  By the same token, I can't seem to muster the distaste for Hildawg that I once had.  I suppose this is hindsight bias, but I have also had the opportunity to consider what makes a terrible, unfit executive versus someone I vaguely disliked "personally" and on policy (less vague) that I concede would have done a decent job in the office simply by intellect and temperament.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I voted Clinton but after Trump won I ignorantly thought maybe he’d shake up Washington a bit, run it more cost-effectively, and maybe avoid some of the supremely dumbass gridlock that came Obama’s last six years...benefit of the doubt because I didn’t really pay attention to politics much and thought a lot of the mindless rhetoric was just campaign nonsense.  

Yeah that was stupid.  I won’t ream on anyone who owned up to their mistake and didn’t say ‘yes let’s have more of whatever THIS is, this time around’.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Parents were hippies / radicals. 

I can't remember a time before I thought the president was a crook -- my parents hated Nixon so much. I heard a shit ton about Watergate but did not have an inkling of what it was about, but I did know it was just more of Nixon being an evil crook. 

I also remember seeing Reagan on TV around 1975 -- I think he was a contestant on a game show, and my mom saying he was another crook. She also told me the Shah of Iran was terrible, so my perspective on the Iranian revolution was a little different than most kids. Not that I sided with the revolutionaries, but I recognized they'd toppled a bad man. 

I jumbled up wars in my head. We had lots of books about WW II and I read about the Battle of Britain, and I knew we were at war with Vietnam, so I put two and two together and thought jetliners going overhead were Vietcong bombers. Apparently they were always on the way to some other target because I am still here to type this. 

It gets more fucked up...Dad made absolutely no secret of his pot smoking. He'd light up in the car on the way to school, picking me up, whenever he felt like it at home...This in spite of the fact he was on probation for a fairly large bust in Houston, the one that forced us to move to Nashville, where he got on a more lenient form of probation. Anyway, he and his buddies would be passing one around and I'd hear something about how this was primo shit from Colombia.

Because of the cloud around dad's bust, I associated the government with cops....And then one day I asked dad what the DC in Washington DC stood for. He told me it stood for District of Columbia, and a light bulb went off. It was the capital and it was where all the cops were and all the cops cared about was busting people for weed, so they named their city after the cause they were fighting for. 

They were going through a divorce at the time and most often I was at my mom's house, and she would let me stay up and watch the early seasons of SNL, so I think I knew more of Ford and Carter through Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd than I did the men themselves. Ford fell down a lot and Carter always smiled and had a drunk fatass brother. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I voted Clinton but after Trump won I ignorantly thought maybe he’d shake up Washington a bit, run it more cost-effectively, and maybe avoid some of the supremely dumbass gridlock that came Obama’s last six years...benefit of the doubt because I didn’t really pay attention to politics much and thought a lot of the mindless rhetoric was just campaign nonsense.  

Yeah that was stupid.  I won’t ream on anyone who owned up to their mistake and didn’t say ‘yes let’s have more of whatever THIS is, this time around’.  

Yeah, I have said repeatedly that I am intrigued or was intrigued by "outsider" candidates.  When Trump won, that was my "solace," even though my intuition said "this is not good."  And then I was a bit too deferential to his norm-breaking, thinking it was benign or negligent.

Between him and Perot, I am completely out on outsider, inexperienced candidates.  Government and politicians may suck on some level or all levels, but they are a necessary evil.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Parents were hippies / radicals. 

I can't remember a time before I thought the president was a crook -- my parents hated Nixon so much. I heard a shit ton about Watergate but did not have an inkling of what it was about, but I did know it was just more of Nixon being an evil crook. 

I also remember seeing Reagan on TV around 1975 -- I think he was a contestant on a game show, and my mom saying he was another crook. She also told me the Shah of Iran was terrible, so my perspective on the Iranian revolution was a little different than most kids. Not that I sided with the revolutionaries, but I recognized they'd toppled a bad man. 

I jumbled up wars in my head. We had lots of books about WW II and I read about the Battle of Britain, and I knew we were at war with Vietnam, so I put two and two together and thought jetliners going overhead were Vietcong bombers. Apparently they were always on the way to some other target because I am still here to type this. 

It gets more fucked up...Dad made absolutely no secret of his pot smoking. He'd light up in the car on the way to school, picking me up, whenever he felt like it at home...This in spite of the fact he was on probation for a fairly large bust in Houston, the one that forced us to move to Nashville, where he got on a more lenient form of probation. Anyway, he and his buddies would be passing one around and I'd hear something about how this was primo shit from Colombia.

Because of the cloud around dad's bust, I associated the government with cops....And then one day I asked dad what the DC in Washington DC stood for. He told me it stood for District of Columbia, and a light bulb went off. It was the capital and it was where all the cops were and all the cops cared about was busting people for weed, so they named their city after the cause they were fighting for. 

They were going through a divorce at the time and most often I was at my mom's house, and she would let me stay up and watch the early seasons of SNL, so I think I knew more of Ford and Carter through Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd than I did the men themselves. Ford fell down a lot and Carter always smiled and had a drunk fatass brother. 

Yikes.  You've mentioned your mom's peccadillos, but not Dad's.  

Since I live in Texas I was gonna write in Bernie in 2016 until my daughter asked me to vote for Hillary, so I did. It was the first time I had ever voted for a presidential candidate who didn’t win.

Like Dave Chappell said on SNL at the beginning, I stated I would give trump a chance since he was OUR president. A bartender once overheard me saying that and gave the Nazi salute, which kinda annoyed me at the time. 

That bartender was much smarter than me. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The first time I remember paying attention to the president/politics is the 1988 election. Dad talked to my sister and me about how we supported Bush in our family because Republicans supported lower taxes and there would be more jobs. 

I was 32 at the time.

Edited by Tom
Ok, or maybe I was 5.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's the thing though.  I didn't vote for either of them because of my distaste.  However, I misunderestimated what a shitheel Donald J. Trump is and precisely how unfit for the presidency he was.  By the same token, I can't seem to muster the distaste for Hildawg that I once had.  I suppose this is hindsight bias, but I have also had the opportunity to consider what makes a terrible, unfit executive versus someone I vaguely disliked "personally" and on policy (less vague) that I concede would have done a decent job in the office simply by intellect and temperament.

Those of us who knew he was a shit heel unfit for the office back then did as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

My first such memory was when I was 6. Operation Desert Storm. I remember my mom crying watching the news, and all I saw on the screen were a bunch of pretty glowing dots flying up into the night sky  (AA tracer fire). I was pretty confused. 

i was at basketball practice.  got out, got in the car, mom said "we're at war"

i remember '88 bush-dukakis.  not sure about much before that, politically. 

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

In my first memories, they shot Kennedy, I went numb when I learned to see

I remember watching JFK's funeral on TV, then Eisenhower and RFK. The train ride to the burial is burned into my memory.

4 hours ago, Llogg said:

Clinton might be a terrible person but her presidency would have been infinitely better for America than Trump. Voting against a person you don't like is different than voting against someone unfit for office.

One of the more frustrating things about reading commentary on Hillary is how she is always characterized as a terrible person. Very few ever take the time to describe what terrible looks like in Hillary and why she deserves to be compared to Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

One of the more frustrating things about reading commentary on Hillary is how she is always characterized as a terrible person. Very few ever take the time to describe what terrible looks like in Hillary and why she deserves to be compared to Trump. 

My point was that even conceding she is a terrible person (not that I necessarily think that's true, but even if it were), her fitness for office is not remotely comparable to the offspring of Crisco and Cheetoh dust we've had for the last four years.

Here's how old I am.  When Watergate hearings were on, I got my dad's reel to reel out, and got my 7ish sister to be interviewed.  I taped the interviews at slow speed and then played them back at regular speed, so we sounded like mice.

I asked her a bunch of questions trying to sound like the committee members on TV (Sam Ervin?)

I told her that she had to answer every question with "I don't recollect."

• Hook 'Em 5

57 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i was at basketball practice.  got out, got in the car, mom said "we're at war"

i remember '88 bush-dukakis.  not sure about much before that, politically. 

Yea I was like 6 at the time and just remember Dukakis was funny because it sound like dookie, cock, and kiss all at the same time.  

3 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Same. Watching Desert Storm on our 13” Zenith in the kitchen. I had no clue what was happening. Just green dots floating around. 

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

Those of us who knew he was a shit heel unfit for the office back then did as well. 

I already loathed him but didn't realize what a pathological personality he was.  I thought he was a common or garden blowhard.  Some of those are actually decent people once you penetrate the facade.

*Raises hand

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ignorant old white racists have been dying off for hundreds of years and yet we still have no shortage of ignorant old white racists. 

Parenthood, how does it work?

But now we have a couple of generations that have gone to school with and worked with POC.  Suburban voters flipping, because POC aren't the boogyman to them, is why DJT lost.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, slorch said:

I've still never seen anyone explain just what was so bad about Hillary. What about her policies or abilities as a politician were bad? Her record in Congress wasn't poor, definitely better than both Cruz and Cornyn, and she was mostly left center but closer to center much like Bill. I've never seen anything to suggest she would have been a bad president let alone anywhere near as destructive and inept as trump. 

I'm convinced it's all just a right wing republican Fox news smear job. They spent so much time and effort slandering her over and over that you people just fell for it and created this intense dislike or hatred that's based purely on propaganda. How many times will you let republican propaganda fuck with your head with lies before you wake up? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I've still never seen anyone explain just what was so bad about Hillary. What about her policies or abilities as a politician were bad? Her record in Congress wasn't poor, definitely better than both Cruz and Cornyn, and she was mostly left center but closer to center much like Bill. I've never seen anything to suggest she would have been a bad president let alone anywhere near as destructive and inept as trump. 

I'm convinced it's all just a right wing republican Fox news smear job. They spent so much time and effort slandering her over and over that you people just fell for it and created this intense dislike or hatred that's based purely on propaganda. How many times will you let republican propaganda fuck with your head with lies before you wake up? 

This is correct. Shit, the people who ended up in the Q cult LITERALLY thought she was the devil. 

3 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

But now we have a couple of generations that have gone to school with and worked with POC.  Suburban voters flipping, because POC aren't the boogyman to them, is why DJT lost.

I'm just not buying that.  I certainly don't want to count on that for the next election.  We are underplaying the role of economics (whether someone is poor or rich) and overplaying race in our analysis, I think. Poor Hispanics in the southwest get along fine with poor whites.  It's those poor whites who feel abandoned by the Dem party, and on a day to day, work side by side world, those poor whites aren't disrespecting Hispanics. 

My hispanic daughter married into a Trump family (two of the four kids married Mexican Americans).  Not an ounce of racism in the family, and I presume they all stuck with Trump.  We get along fine with their family because we are in the same socio-economic class.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The first time I remember paying attention to the president/politics is the 1988 election. Dad talked to my sister and me about how we supported Bush in our family because Republicans supported lower taxes and there would be more jobs. 

I was 32 at the time.

Funny thing, my parents grew up in FDR Democrat homes.  My maternal grandfather especially revered him.

After the war, for a poli sci class, my Dad and another guy had to go visit Republican and Democrat  precinct meetings.  They flipped a coin to see who would go where.  Dad liked what he heard, which was Eisenhower-type Republicanism and the die was cast.  Prior to that, he had been a callow youth and fighting a war, so didn't concern himself with politics.

That was part of his explanation to me about politics.  My Mom continued to lean kind of Democrat-y all her life,  and was wildly offended by GOP war-mongering due to the thought of her only child (me) going off to war because of a political conflict.  She was one of the first people to articulate that Shrub may have done Iraq II Electric Boogaloo to avenge the threats against GWHB and to "finish it" as an act of filial one-upmanship.

Before that, I think they were both seduced by Reagan, and saw GWHB as a contemporary.  They actually kind of liked Clinton too, because he was an Arkansas boy from Dad's hometown. The Clinton bj scandal really took them aback, as much because blowjobs and cigar-fucking became a daily topic as anything else.  

Nonetheless, they encouraged me to figure it out for myself.  I cannot imagine a big family rift opening over politics.

I think they both would have been appalled by Trump.  Dad was old and had passed before the GOP became so wildly _____ist.  I think he would have been appalled by that.  I know my Mom would have been. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Fucking this 

• Hook 'Em 4

Way back when little RPM was riding a tractor sitting in his grandfather's lap plowing the garden in the mid1960's he told me "Republicans are for the rich man, Democrats are for the little man." I haven't seen anything to change that assessment in over 50 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Her campaign sucked. She is a tone deaf politician, and she cast her run for the presidency as some sort of personal hero’s journey. “HERstory.” What a terrible fucking slogan. She did not have any major policy views. Although health care was her issue in the 90s, she fell short and by 2016 it was Obama’s victory to claim. As a result, her pitch was “Vote for ME.” Because she’s not a charismatic or particularly likable public figure, that pitch failed miserably. 

She would have been a much better president than Donald Trump and it’s not even close. But she did an absolutely terrible job running for the office. 

Additionally, she rubbed many Texas physicians the wrong way in the 90s with her approach to healthcare. She would demonize the physicians as an entity for ordering unnecessary laboratory and diagnostic studies alleging that this was done to seek profits. It came across as another individual that has never treated a patient and failed to understand the threat of malpractice litigation.

Hillary would have been a much better President than Trump, but then again a shoe with a hole in it would have been a better President than Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Her campaign sucked. She is a tone deaf politician, and she cast her run for the presidency as some sort of personal hero’s journey. “HERstory.” What a terrible fucking slogan. She did not have any major policy views. Although health care was her issue in the 90s, she fell short and by 2016 it was Obama’s victory to claim. As a result, her pitch was “Vote for ME.” Because she’s not a charismatic or particularly likable public figure, that pitch failed miserably. 

She would have been a much better president than Donald Trump and it’s not even close. But she did an absolutely terrible job running for the office. 

That would explain being indifferent but nothing there explains the extreme hatred to the level of thinking a failed businessman with multiple bankruptcies, bankrupt casinos, racist statements, and major sex scandal issues would be a preferable president. 

She had a respectable if mostly centrist voting record in the senate in 8 years and even voted in line with Bush 2 almost 50 percent of the time. Absolutely nothing in her record screams extremist or communist. If anything is screams pragmatic centrist and definitely nothing for Republicans to hate so intensely they'd turn the country over to the vile evil ineptness of a trump. 

The entire republican voter population was victim to pure lies and propaganda. Never once actually cared enough to check the record and get it straight on either of them. An easily fooled population that votes with it's feelings is the Achilles' heel of America. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Funny thing, my parents grew up in FDR Democrat homes.  My maternal grandfather especially revered him.

After the war, for a poli sci class, my Dad and another guy had to go visit Republican and Democrat  precinct meetings.  They flipped a coin to see who would go where.  Dad liked what he heard, which was Eisenhower-type Republicanism and the die was cast.  Prior to that, he had been a callow youth and fighting a war, so didn't concern himself with politics.

That was part of his explanation to me about politics.  My Mom continued to lean kind of Democrat-y all her life,  and was wildly offended by GOP war-mongering due to the thought of her only child (me) going off to war because of a political conflict.  She was one of the first people to articulate that Shrub may have done Iraq II Electric Boogaloo to avenge the threats against GWHB and to "finish it" as an act of filial one-upmanship.

Before that, I think they were both seduced by Reagan, and saw GWHB as a contemporary.  They actually kind of liked Clinton too, because he was an Arkansas boy from Dad's hometown. The Clinton bj scandal really took them aback, as much because blowjobs and cigar-fucking became a daily topic as anything else.  

Nonetheless, they encouraged me to figure it out for myself.  I cannot imagine a big family rift opening over politics.

I think they both would have been appalled by Trump.  Dad was old and had passed before the GOP became so wildly _____ist.  I think he would have been appalled by that.  I know my Mom would have been. 

I wouldn't say we have any big family rifts over politics other than I just try to avoid talking about it.  Occasionally my sister will bring something up that pushes my bullshit meter a little too far and we"ll get into it.

My grandparents were also FDR Democrats and I think my family started voting for more Republicans sometime around Eisenhower as well.  My dad says he voted for Carter, but he's voted Republican every election going back to Reagan.  My mom was never that focused on politics since she didn't officially get her citizenship and couldn't vote until about a decade ago.  My entire family has drank the Fox News kool aid now, and I'm definitely the liberal black sheep in my immediate family.

Edited by Tom

40 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Additionally, she rubbed many Texas physicians the wrong way in the 90s with her approach to healthcare. She would demonize the physicians as an entity for ordering unnecessary laboratory and diagnostic studies alleging that this was done to seek profits. It came across as another individual that has never treated a patient and failed to understand the threat of malpractice litigation.

Hillary would have been a much better President than Trump, but then again a shoe with a hole in it would have been a better President than Trump.

Yeah, because that has never happened.  Nope, all the ills of the healthcare system were because of malpractice lawsuits. Except, those have been legislated out of existence and yet the ills remain. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, because that has never happened.  Nope, all the ills of the healthcare system were because of malpractice lawsuits. Except, those have been legislated out of existence and yet the ills remain. 

You clearly lack reading comprehension and critical thinking skills. You don't demonize an entire group for a few bad apples. Maybe try practicing as a physician before you take shots.

I am not against universal healthcare, in fact, I'm all for it. You know what else I am for? Making collegiate and postgraduate education more affordable. I am all for cutting out the middle men including insurance companies and attorneys that drive up the cost of healthcare. I am for tightening the leash on Big Pharma as thanks to them and bought out politicians (who are mostly attorneys by training) have influenced the practice of medicine and caused the opioid crisis. Healthcare accounts for 18% of GDP and that is a shame because healthcare should not be a for profit enterprise.  

• Hook 'Em 3