Take the L, Pussy (Documenting the Coup Until Trump Concedes)

Firemans4Horn

32 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

This might be for another conversation... what if "Latinx" or "Black" or "BIPOC" are how persons request to be identified? Is it "woke white wash" if we're honoring people's requests (I guess this applies to gender identity and such as well).?

What if it is not and a tiny percentage of people make it an issue? What we end up with is a made up word by the few in the USA while the rest of Latino America and most Hispanics in the US do not even understand why the folks here would do such a thing. Also, regarding gender identity, guess what Spanish uses a and o. Sorry don't make up words. Like I said you want to be respectful of gender do like Rosie Perez did in her interview. Hope she sticks to it.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

What if it is not and a tiny percentage of people make it an issue? What we end up with is a made up word by the few in the USA while the rest of Latino America and most Hispanics in the US do not even understand why the folks here would do such a thing.

True... but aren't most words made up? But your deeper point is valid... people imposing their language expectations on others in a way to virtue signal and differentiate. That sucks.

20 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What is a MAGAT? What is a BIPOC?

Has this place become IBM and we are going to acronym ourselves to death?

Well, I'm in higher education and in Seattle, so yeah....

BIPOC- Black, Indigenous, or Persons of Color.  "Historically marginalized" folks. (Although, somehow my conversations with people who use that term often seem to overlook the experiences of Asian and Asian Americans)

• Hook 'Em 1

Literally all words are made up.

The stuff that comes out of academia always sounds stupid because the purpose of academia is to be outside of the banal day-to-day and look at things from the perspective of someone who isn't just exhausted by a 10-hour work day, nagging wife, and screaming children.

The eternal struggle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

It is a matter of figuring out who is paying him for the troop withdrawal.

I think it is a Trump scorched earth strategy so that his chances in 2024 are better since he will leave an huge mess that cannot be easily cleaned up and Rs will never blame him for it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Literally all words are made up.

The stuff that comes out of academia always sounds stupid because the purpose of academia is to be outside of the banal day-to-day and look at things from the perspective of someone who isn't just exhausted by a 10-hour work day, nagging wife, and screaming children.

The eternal struggle.

Wait... I must not be doing it correctly then.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The GoP will never recover from Trump splitting and tearing them down 

Trump has exposed the GOP for what it really is and who they really are.  in their eyes, there is nothing to recover from.  they are proud of their complete shittiness as Americans, and as human beings.  Trump simply gave Republicans permission to be open about it to the rest of us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Trump has exposed the GOP for what it really is and who they really are.  in their eyes, there is nothing to recover from.  they are proud of their complete shittiness as Americans, and as human beings.  Trump simply gave Republicans permission to be open about it to the rest of us.

This.  Don't overthink it.  When someone tries really hard to show you how shitty they are.....believe them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The new preferred term is "Death by Powerpoint".  That way you can include pages of acronyms.  (retired from big blue after 30 years)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Trump is withdrawing Troops because he said he would. Fine. Him doing it the last month of his term with no plan other than YOLO means this will backfire 

He’s also setting Biden up to make the choice to send more back in if we actually need more than 2500 for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

See, we started out with TLAs (Three Letter Abbreviations), but quickly found that we'd exhausted them. So then we moved to XTLAs, (eXtended Three Letter Abbreviations). But after a while, even those weren't enough, so we moved to LXLTAs (Long eXtended Three Letter Abbreviations). I hear Connie in the mobile group has even started using the occasional VLXTLA (Very Long eXtended Three Letter Abbreviation), so there's room for growth, there. You can find the whole list in the database, that we had to move to BigQuery last week after we exceeded the maximum table size on the old database.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

What if it is not and a tiny percentage of people make it an issue? What we end up with is a made up word by the few in the USA while the rest of Latino America and most Hispanics in the US do not even understand why the folks here would do such a thing. Also, regarding gender identity, guess what Spanish uses a and o. Sorry don't make up words. Like I said you want to be respectful of gender do like Rosie Perez did in her interview. Hope she sticks to it.

Latinx is about the dumbest fucking thing I've heard from the Dems. 

They will fuck things up with woke bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Trump is withdrawing Troops because he said he would. Fine. Him doing it the last month of his term with no plan other than YOLO means this will backfire 

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s also setting Biden up to make the choice to send more back in if we actually need more than 2500 for whatever reason. 

Given how haphazard Trump is with this, I'm willing to bet that the PowerPoint Rangers in the Pentagon won't have their studies and communications with commanders on the ground done until late December.  And then they'll break for the holidays, and resume deciding how to do this sometime in mid-January.  Whether that's all deliberate by the military, you can decide for yourself.

But if we just pulled out tomorrow, much like South Austin's mom, we will be back in the thick of it quickly, because shit gets really messy when there's premature withdrawal.

• Like 1

what if "Latinx" or "Black" or "BIPOC" are how persons request to be identified?

This is a good example of dem stupidity, imo. (the gop is stupider, but the dems seem to have this type of stupidity locked down).

So, yeah, there maybe some who wish to be called Latinx. In terms of %, my guess is that it's very small. But hey, let's weaken our position with 99% of the demographic so we can cater to the 1%.

Please let's get some common sense adults to run the Dem party. Please.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

So, yeah, there maybe some who wish to be called Latinx. In terms of %, my guess is that it's very small. But hey, let's weaken our position with 99% of the demographic so we can cater to the 1%.

At some point, you just have to accept the fact that shorthand will piss off morons.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

The problem is that Democrats will make sure that they recover after Trump is gone with their embrace of woke dipshits. Things like  Latinx and similar type bullshit just drives many in the middle nuts. Learn from Rosie Perez which did not embrace the term and just said my Latina sisters and Latino brothers. Spanish is a language, respect it and stop trying to woke white wash it.

Frankly, a lot of the wordspeak stuff gets tedious to me, but I think you are underestimating the challenge here. 

"Latinx" is not about trying court the Latino vote. Just like using "work hours" instead of "man hours" is not about trying to court the union vote.  Using "flight attendant", "server", and "actor" instead of "stewardess," "waitress," and "actress" is not a ploy to bring in people in those professions. 

The Democratic base is made up of many different segments, many of whom have come from demographics who have faced discrimination and exclusion, throughout history.  When you have a segment of the base that is trying to push gender-neutral language, they aren't just going to stop with English. Why would they? Does that cause stress with the Latino community?  Sure.  Just like trying to switch to gender-neutral language with English terms has caused pushback with others. 

The black community isn't necessarily going to support Latino issues, the unions aren't necessarily going to respect LBGTQ issues, the LBGTQ community isn't going to understand what's going on with disability rights issues, etc, etc. 

So, that's a challenge.  There are three steps I try to address that challenge:

1. Push the idea that this is a coalition, not a consensus.  We aren't not going to get 50% of voters believing..truly believing..in the everything that any Democrat pushes. We can't lose feminists in order to make Latinos more comfortable.  It's just not practical. 

2. Ask people to prioritize what their issues are to them.  It costs you nothing to have someone say "Latinx."  What does the Republican agenda cost you? Frankly, if we have Latino voters voting R over "Latinx," they would have found a different reason to vote R. 

3. Try to listen to your allies.  It's likely you will not come to the same conclusions they did, but at least you can learn why it matters to them.  

If you have a better approach for holding a coalition together, I'm all ears.  I guess you can just tell feminists that their issues don't matter and they should just focus on supporting Latinos.  Let me know how that works out.  

(To me, the biggest weirdness I see are the liberal Natives.  Half their effort is trying to push for progress, and half their efforts is desperately trying to preserve traditions, including traditional tribal power structures that tend to be very old man centric.)  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tuco said:

2. Ask people to prioritize what their issues are to them.  It costs you nothing to have someone say "Latinx."  What does the Republican agenda cost you? Frankly, if we have Latino voters voting R over "Latinx," they would have found a different reason to vote R

On MSNBC there was graphic that showed the following:

LatinX Men  N% (I forget of what metric)

LatinX Women N%

Really? They could not use Latino Men and Latina Women in this example since they claim LatinX is about not excluding by gender. I agree with Bill Mahar that for some of us Democrats make it really hard to vote for them and that woke folks need to stop thinking that the constant drip of crap does not have an effect in pushing people to the other side. I voted Biden so I am not a trumpkin since that usually is the accusation to responses I believe fall in the middle of the political spectrum.

Also, in response that it cost nothing to say LatinX. If you have read the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" the author talks about making sure to remember names and call the person the way they want to be called. It is an emotional reaction because it goes to the core of their identity. Well heritage and what you call it is like a name.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I agree with Bill Mahar that for some of us Democrats make it really hard to vote for them and that woke folks need to stop thinking that the constant drip of crap does not have an effect in pushing people to the other side.

Tuco explained it nicely.  Ultimately, I think if you can't deal with what is a pretty minor point, the Dems will thank you for listening and tell you you and your sublimated rage might be happier elsewhere. 

To me, the identify politics is clearly a much bigger wedge issue in the Dem party than gender neutrality, and makes me ragey, so I get what you're saying, but ultimately, I think it's pretty easy to simply focus a bit more on the policies than some of the petty norms.

Edited by tantric superman

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

what if "Latinx" or "Black" or "BIPOC" are how persons request to be identified?

This is a good example of dem stupidity, imo. (the gop is stupider, but the dems seem to have this type of stupidity locked down).

Please let's get some common sense adults to run the Dem party. Please.

I've also yet to hear a single Hispanic use this term, only white people.  I'm not saying some don't use it, but it doesn't seem too common from my personal totally anecdotal experience.  

If the majority of Spanish speaking people decide to evolve their language, cool.  But this comes off as very "Hi!  I'm white and I'm here to help."

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Tuco explained it nicely.  Ultimately, I think if you can't deal with what is a pretty minor point, the Dems will thank you for listening and tell you you and your sublimated rage might be happier elsewhere. 

To me, the identify politics is clearly a much bigger wedge issue in the Dem party than gender neutrality, and makes me ragey, so I get what you're saying, but ultimately, I think it's pretty easy to simply focus a bit more on the policies than some of the petty norms.

As long as Trumpism lives I will be on the blue side and unlike bad teammate that threatens not too vote I will vote. Yet, I was solidly part of the 44% that voted for Bush and "petty issues" like LatinX would have reinforced my R had Trumpism not come along. Clearly I have failed to persuade that these "petty issues" are more than just petty in attracting the Hispanic vote.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

It will be 100 years from now and we'll still be stirring up shit in the Middle East (if the USA hasn't collapsed).

hope not. oil go bye bye I hope. once the speculation of it subsides then the money will move. probably already is now with this shitshow

then the people there can hopefully be free of the extreme BS they have had to live with

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Latinx is a dumb term that should go away.

Voting Republican because of a dumb term is even dumber.

I see it more about attracting folks. If someone opens the door that votes R and you open your conversation up with "Hey LatinX, vote for us" they stopped listing to your pitch at LatinX. It is not about a deciding factor.

Edited by DanTheHorn

4 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Hope that's true. If there's any justice in this world, the Rs should be history because of Trump, period. 

To be replaced by what? A new party with a new name where all the former Republican ideologues can find a home? The party name is just a label. I'd like to see them go through some ideological reform and get back to being the party of Lincoln. 

• Like 2

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

To be replaced by what? A new party with a new name where all the former Republican ideologues can find a home? The party name is just a label. I'd like to see them go through some ideological reform and get back to being the party of Lincoln. 

Yeah, I meant ideologically and operationally. Among many other things, I'd welcome them kicking the evangelical and nationalist/racist pieces of shit to the curb. Or at least stop pandering to them. 

29 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

On MSNBC there was graphic that showed the following:

LatinX Men  N% (I forget of what metric)

LatinX Women N%

Really? They could not use Latino Men and Latina Women in this example since they claim LatinX is about not excluding by gender. I agree with Bill Mahar that for some of us Democrats make it really hard to vote for them and that woke folks need to stop thinking that the constant drip of crap does not have an effect in pushing people to the other side. I voted Biden so I am not a trumpkin since that usually is the accusation to responses I believe fall in the middle of the political spectrum.

Also, in response that it cost nothing to say LatinX. If you have read the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" the author talks about making sure to remember names and call the person the way they want to be called. It is an emotional reaction because it goes to the core of their identity. Well heritage and what you call it is like a name.

The problem with "LatinX" is that it's contorting two languages.  If you're speaking Spanish, you have a word that cover the group you're attempting to describe:  Latino.  If you're speaking English, you have a word/s that covers the group you're attempting to describe:  Latin or Latin American.  

Saying "LatinX" is just a contrivance that is off-putting to everyone except the person who speaks it and perhaps their audience of fellow travelers.  It is the essence of the "virtue signaling" (*spits" - I hate that fucking jargon, but it applies here) that turns off vast swaths of both native English and Spanish speakers as stupid and unnecessary.

I say this as a life-long Dem:  We need to lose this kind of unnecessary bullshit.  When there is nothing at all offensive about Latino/Latin/Latin American, why do we need to engage in such linguistic chicanery?  We don't.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

The problem with "LatinX" is that it's contorting two languages.  If you're speaking Spanish, you have a word that cover the group you're attempting to describe:  Latino.  If you're speaking English, you have a word/s that covers the group you're attempting to describe:  Latin or Latin American.  

Saying "LatinX" is just a contrivance that is off-putting to everyone except the person who speaks it and perhaps their audience of fellow travelers.  It is the essence of the "virtue signaling" (*spits" - I hate that fucking jargon, but it applies here) that turns off vast swaths of both native English and Spanish speakers as stupid and unnecessary.

I say this as a life-long Dem:  We need to lose this kind of unnecessary bullshit.  When there is nothing at all offensive about Latino/Latin/Latin American, why do we need to engage in such linguistic chicanery?  We don't.

Exactly, the damn thing tries too hard. In English they are just Latin. I will continue to crusade for Latinu if people think there has to be a gender-neutral Spanish version of things.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Yeah, I meant ideologically and operationally. Among many other things, I'd welcome them kicking the evangelical and nationalist/racist pieces of shit to the curb. Or at least stop pandering to them. 

That's the biggest thing. Reject the Confederate flag and remember that we're "dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." And bring secularism and intellectualism back to the party. 

lol

Y’all are getting wound up about labels and words playing right into the Republican talking points about liberal stereotypes.

I won’t get into whether or not Latinx is dumb or unnecessary - not my place.

But from what I’ve seen, the usage BIPOC has been driven by the people within that group.

From what I gather, the term “people of color” was not well liked by various groups as a catch all for “anyone and everyone not white”. BIPOC came into use to reflect that there are many diverse coalitions under that umbrella and by emphasizing that POC encompasses Black, Indigenous, and many others with unique circumstances and needs it reminds everyone that “brown people” are not monolith.

• Like 3

The entire Spanish language is built around gender. All nouns have a gender, all verbs have different forms based on gender and plurality, and adverbs and adjectives take different forms to match the gender and plurality of the word they are modifying. 
And the rule is that when there’s mixed gender, the masculine is used. You don’t just change someone’s language because you don’t like it or feel it’s not sufficiently inclusive. 
—————

tangentially, I watched msnbc most of election night(s).  I was giggling during a segment when Rachael maddow was at the desk, and with her was some black lady whose name I can’t recall- I’ll try to find it.  They get to talking about Atlanta or Philly or maybe just the black vote in general, and the one lady is saying black voters this, black people that, black men, black women, whatever  then Rachael would reply and say African Americans and voters of color, like she’s not allowed to say black.

Edit:  it was joy Reid I believe. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1