Take the L, Pussy (Documenting the Coup Until Trump Concedes)

Firemans4Horn

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

@immamac you ok, dude? You're being weirdly hostile in response to some fairly anodyne stuff.

I'm just tired of people blaming the democrats or republicans for everything. It's BOTH and the gridlock they are BOTH causing that is destroying our country. People who just shut down a 3rd party as non feasible but don't even understand the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the government are the same people that think the election is a fraud, just different perspectives on the same alternative universe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'm just tired of people blaming the democrats or republicans for everything. It's BOTH and the gridlock they are BOTH causing that is destroying our country. People who just shut down a 3rd party as non feasible but don't even understand the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the government are the same people that think the election is a fraud, just different perspectives on the same alternative universe.

Well, sure, that's what you think now that the Illuminati have changed the locks on you and won't give you the new wifi password.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I generally use the term Hispanic because that is the term that was used more in my upbringing. I've never referred to myself as a Latino. I'm either Hispanic, Mexican-American, or Tejano. Or colloquially, I can go by Tex-Mex (among friends in context otherwise I might suspect you're just being an asshole if I don't know you very well). I always felt that Latino was more of a term Californians used, same with Chicano. And since I generally use Hispanic more, I can avoid any problems with using Latinx or Latino/a.

Unless you run into Brazilians. Not Hispanic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Unless you run into Brazilians. Not Hispanic.

Yep. Like @'stache I used to use exclusively Hispanic or Mexican but I've switched to Latino when I think about it because the group we're actually talking about should include Brazilians but not Spaniards. Spaniards are white Europeans.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe if she'd act like a competent human being, and did the right thing, she might have a job for a while in the new administration.

I'm glad she's behaving the way she has been. The Biden team knows who the enemies of the state are. Drain the Trump swamp away!

Just now, Degenerate Gardner said:

And I'm tired of people of equivocating between parties with both sides garbage. One side is systemically obstructionist whether it be impeachment inquiries or actually improving access health care. One side undermines democracy on the reg. Dems are imperfect to be sure. but their faults are orders of magnitude less threatening to our nation's well being at present.

You tell me how the Dems can work in good faith with Mr. 'it's too close to the election to confirm Merrick Garland' McConnell.

That's actually not true. They are just as obstructionist, but they use the "but we are the good guys" schtick to hide behind being obstructionist. 

Being an alarmist about what you perceive to be threatening to our nations well being is bogus. We've moved beyond the phase of negotiating that straight up to the phase of "we just aren't gonna do shit lolol". 

2 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

And I'm tired of people of equivocating between parties with both sides garbage. One side is systemically obstructionist whether it be impeachment inquiries or actually improving access health care. One side undermines democracy on the reg. Dems are imperfect to be sure. but their faults are orders of magnitude less threatening to our nation's well being at present.

You tell me how the Dems can work in good faith with Mr. 'it's too close to the election to confirm Merrick Garland' McConnell.

They can't. They need to start playing politics like he does. There hasn't been anyone in Washington as good at it since LBJ.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep. Like @'stache I used to use exclusively Hispanic or Mexican but I've switched to Latino when I think about it because the group we're actually talking about should include Brazilians but not Spaniards. Spaniards are white Europeans.

I live around a fairly large population of Brazilians here and will have in-laws eventually that are Brazilian. They prefer to be their own distinct group of people. They are quite a unique group of folks, even by the standards here in NYC and all of the diversity in culture. 

4 hours ago, immamac said:

There needs to be a big 3rd party movement in the legislature. Fuck the executive office. Let the 2 party system rule that. Let's get some damned progressives elected for real and in numbers big enough to take away the majority from either party. 

The GOP isn't fucked up, the rules of the game are just letting them block legislation. Unblock legislation and this country can actually start healing. 

What you're suggesting is essentially a parliamentary system...which isn't necessarily good or bad.

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

I live around a fairly large population of Brazilians here and will have in-laws eventually that are Brazilian. They prefer to be their own distinct group of people. They are quite a unique group of folks, even by the standards here in NYC and all of the diversity in culture. 

And they are a big group.   There's, like, a brazilian of 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Fuck with the Latinx discussion not going away.

I'd argue that the cultural not ethnic/racial makeup of the people discussed is a much higher value to use as a grouping than something akin to race.  Government forms want to categorize us as White non-Hispanic or White Hispanic.  That is pretty stupid to begin with.

This election proved out what I've said a long time, it's the culture not the race. Hell I'm white/non-Hispanic from San Antonio that identifies as Tejano.

If you really cared about the distinctions it would be more granular not less and if you want gender just ask that separately.

• Tejano
  • Cubano
  • Puertorriqueño
  • Mexican
  • Central American (non-Mexican)
  • South American (except Brazil) - differences but probably need a grouping here
  • Brazillian

If this is too tough to do you just don't care so stop pretending and just go back to White Hispanic (except for the Puerto Ricans and Cubans that identify as Black)

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Well you could attempt to work in good faith with him, but McConnell’s words and actions are there for all to see. When you cannot trust someone because there is factual evidence showing why you cannot trust them you cannot work in good faith with them. If McConnell is your leader it also tells you about those he represents in his party/cult or whatever it is that they are. You do not ascend to where he is at if you do not have willing collaborators who share in and welcome complete dishonesty in both words and actions. 

28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I know the difference, but I've never heard a Brazilian referred to as Latino, or a Spaniard referred to as Hispanic. They generally go by their own nationality. The US Census uses both terms. I suspect that many Brazilian-Americans click that box, and most Spaniard-Americans do not. 

8 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Fuck with the Latinx discussion not going away.

I'd argue that the cultural not ethnic/racial makeup of the people discussed is a much higher value to use as a grouping than something akin to race.  Government forms want to categorize us as White non-Hispanic or White Hispanic.  That is pretty stupid to begin with.

This election proved out what I've said a long time, it's the culture not the race. Hell I'm white/non-Hispanic from San Antonio that identifies as Tejano.

If you really cared about the distinctions it would be more granular not less and if you want gender just ask that separately.

• Tejano
  • Cubano
  • Puertorriqueño
  • Mexican
  • Central American (non-Mexican)
  • South American (except Brazil) - differences but probably need a grouping here
  • Brazillian

If this is too tough to do you just don't care so stop pretending and just go back to White-non Hispanic (except for the Puerto Ricans and Cubans that identify as Black)

It's all self-reported, so there are plenty of people who have Hispanic or Latino heritage but have separated completely from the culture and do not check the box. Especially those of later generations that are only part Hispanic and look white. My wife for instance is half Hispanic but looks white. Her dad looks very Hispanic and has some pride in the culture but didn't really have many cultural practices. She was born in Connecticut and raised in OKC. She didn't think much of it, at least until she married me and our kids are 3/4 and look Hispanic, and she has embraced it, especially since spending time with my family that is still very much part of the Tejano culture.

Edited by 'stache

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's all self-reported, so there are plenty of people who have Hispanic or Latino heritage but have seperated completely from the culture and do not check the box.

Right, That is my point that the Latino super category is stupid.  If they are culturally assimilated with whites in their part of the state then they can check white instead of Tejano or whatever. 

BTW I'm arguing for the sake of polling not medical studies where ethnicity is more important.

Edited by TexasEd

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I know the difference, but I've never heard a Brazilian referred to as Latino, or a Spaniard referred to as Hispanic. They generally go by their own nationality. The US Census uses both terms. I suspect that many Brazilian-Americans click that box, and most Spaniard-Americans do not. 

That's a good point... although I've known a few Latinas that were also Brazilian. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

We need a leadership turnover on both sides. The desperate old incumbent willing to sell their soul for re-election does not the best leader make. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Right, That is my point that the Latino super category is stupid.  If they are culturally assimilated with whites in their part of the state then they can check white instead of Tejano or whatever. 

BTW I'm arguing for the sake of polling not medical studies where ethnicity is more important.

I'm arguing that they usually will not click the box, so I don't see the need to drastically alter the Hispanic/Latino/a/x categories.

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm arguing that they usually will not click the box, so I don't see the need to drastically alter the Hispanic/Latino/a/x categories.

Since I think this discussion originated with the election results and polling of different groups that had a Latino/Latinx component in the polling which grouped Cuban-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Texas Hispanics, and others into one group for the polling responses I think it would alter the way the polling reported the opinions of those groups as long as people identified with them. 

So I agree with your premise that identification with a group matters as a starting point and then go on to assert that when you are talking about people that identify with a non-white group the way you categorize does matter. 

This is why I say it's a cultural thing not an ethnic thing. Culture is something you do or know and ethnicity is something you were born that does not always correlate to shared experiences and beliefs.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Since I think this discussion originated with the election results and polling of different groups that had a Latino/Latinx component in the polling which grouped Cuban-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Texas Hispanics, and others into one group for the polling responses I think it would alter the way the polling reported the opinions of those groups as long as people identified with them. 

So I agree with your premise that identification with a group matters as a starting point and then go on to assert that when you are talking about people that identify with a non-white group the way you categorize does matter. 

This is why I say it's a cultural thing not an ethnic thing. Culture is something you do or know and ethnicity is something you were born that does not always correlate to shared experiences and beliefs.

All of this always makes me chuckle about GOLL telling the story of his FIL, a lifelong new yorker driving around Dallas.  He came home and bitched about some "damned Puerto Rican cut me off in traffic!"  GOLL asks "how did you know they were Puerto Rican?"  "Well, they looked Puerto Rican."  GOLL explains "dude, around here, all our Puerto Ricans are Mexican."

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, immamac said:

the Death Spiral has been with us for some 20 years

In 2016 one of the mobsters pulled a gun on the other. How do you separate 20 years of garbage from new garbage?

but whatever. its the Death Spiral. you got me. my mouth was open

NastyDizzyDairycow-max-1mb.gif

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Okay, I wasn't thinking about polling data. I get what you're saying. Cubans don't vote like Tejanos who don't vote like Chicanos, etc. Voting patterns definitely vary when you get more granular with Hispanic/Latino/a/x voters. And third/fourth/fifth generation Americans of Hispanic/Latino/a/x descent can definitely be more susceptible to "I got mine" republicanism.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

All of this always makes me chuckle about GOLL telling the story of his FIL, a lifelong new yorker driving around Dallas.  He came home and bitched about some "damned Puerto Rican cut me off in traffic!"  GOLL asks "how did you know they were Puerto Rican?"  "Well, they looked Puerto Rican."  GOLL explains "dude, around here, all our Puerto Ricans are Mexican."

Stupid motherfucking Trumpkin—can’t even bitch properly about the driving shortcomings of the right ethnic group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/16/2020 at 4:04 PM, Asithappens said:

Latinx is about the dumbest fucking thing I've heard from the Dems. 

They will fuck things up with woke bullshit.

It’s good to know that things are going so well for the Latino community that this is an issue to decide which party to vote for.  Guess dotard solved all the other shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Might? He’s attempting a coup right now. Just because he isn’t succeeding, doesn’t mean it’s not just as shitty 

He kind of is. It’s like General Boulanger—he wants to seize power, but he’s too lazy and stupid to do so. But his incompetence should not be mistaken for the absence of intent.

For Boulanger, when the time came to make the cut, he opted to absent himself from events to spend a few hours with his mistress (he was French, you see).

For Trump, he decided to spend the time playing golf.

In both cases, a shrewd and dynamic operator would’ve been able to overthrow the republic. But in both cases, the would-be strongman became bit a historical footnote (as reflected by the fact that at least one person on this board is rushing to google General Georges Ernest Boulanger).

10 hours ago, immamac said:

WTF?  Did Anastasis hack your account?  I was a R for years and I can tell you that one side can take about 95% of the blame right now.  I take a break for just a few days and this is what I come back to?  Got damn.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Might? He’s attempting a coup right now. Just because he isn’t succeeding, doesn’t mean it’s not just as shitty 

Which is why it's good that Rudy took over - he's more concerned about fundraising than winning a losing cause.  

Or he can't find lawyers who will go to court, but also step out in the Four Seasons parking lot to cheerlead/fundraise for him.

WhyNotBoth.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

WTF?  Did Anastasis hack your account?  I was a R for years and I can tell you that one side can take about 95% of the blame right now.  I take a break for just a few days and this is what I come back to?  Got damn.  

I'm just super stoked that I won't wake up every day to a shitstorm of a president losing his mind. Joe Biden will be boring as fuck, probably get absolutely fuck all done and it'll be back to normal in the US.

He kind of is. It’s like General Boulanger—he wants to seize power, but he’s too lazy and stupid to do so. But his incompetence should not be mistaken for the absence of intent.

For Boulanger, when the time came to make the cut, he opted to absent himself from events to spend a few hours with his mistress (he was French, you see).

For Trump, he decided to spend the time playing golf.

In both cases, a shrewd and dynamic operator would’ve been able to overthrow the republic. But in both cases, the would-be strongman became bit a historical footnote (as reflected by the fact that at least one person on this board is rushing to google General Georges Ernest Boulanger).

Last time we were in Paree, I had a Boulanger avec fromage that was tres magnifique. Made me a bit gassy, though.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm just super stoked that I won't wake up every day to a shitstorm of a president losing his mind. Joe Biden will be boring as fuck, probably get absolutely fuck all done and it'll be back to normal in the US.

Fair enough.  But who am I going to make fun of?  I hope these bastards don't all give up as easily as BamaGirl's Dad.  I mean good for her, but me being a complete asshole to Trumptards serves a purpose...I don't have to be an asshole to people I actually care about.  Won't you think about assholes such as myself?  

Ok, rant over.  It's just been so damn enjoyable to give atomic wedgies to these dumbfucks.  They deserve every bit of shit they catch.  

Ana at least got that gif game strong to quite strong. Imma is just not in reality here, and no gifs to hide it.
  • Hook 'Em 1