Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Isn't it nice to have a President that actually gets shit accomplished and doesn't just sit around shooting off angry tweets and being an in general angry person?

But he stumbled in a speech and some folks criticized him. You're saying he didn't spend the rest of the day on the shitter responding to every mean tweet...?

12 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I haven’t seen this anywhere else. It this is a big fucking deal, imo. At the very least a big middle finger. 

Yes, this is good.  Sending $1400 checks to prisoners across the country who aren't working anyway because they are in jail is not so good.  

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Who gives a fuck? This shit doesn't play like it used to. 

Perhaps those outraged about it now should check their notes because the precedent was set under the former administration. The CARES Act did not include legislation barring eligible incarcerated individuals  from receiving payments.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, landman said:

Yes, this is good.  Sending $1400 checks to prisoners across the country who aren't working anyway because they are in jail is not so good.  

I trust that if I search posts from last year, you will have expressed similar concerns about the first two rounds of stimulus checks?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Not sure why they originally announced that he would sign tomorrow, but this is good news:

Per Psaki, Congress enrolled the bill faster than they thought.

And I learned that means the final copy was passed in identical form, printed on parchment paper, signed by the appropriate House and Senate officials and submitted to the White House for signature. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As part of the Biden-Harris "victory lap" for the COVID bill, so far it seems they are slated for:

• Harris to Las Vegas and Denver
  • Biden to Pennsylvania (Philly suburbs)
  • Biden and Harris together to Atlanta

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As part of the Biden-Harris "victory lap" for the COVID bill, so far it seems they are slated for:

Surely there is more than just a victory lap going on here? care to expound or provide a link?

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Surely there is more than just a victory lap going on here? care to expound or provide a link?

Well there’s Senate races in PA, NV, CO and GA in 2 years. I expect Biden/Harris to go to AZ and NH too and then WI and NC and FL

So it appears they are going to use 2019 tax info, unless you've filed for 2020 already.  Gonna pay my taxes tonight.

Per WaPo:

1. Who will get checks, and for how much?

Individuals who earn as much as $75,000, or couples making $150,000, plus their children or adult dependents, qualify for the full $1,400 per person. Single parents with at least one dependent who earn $112,500 or less also get the full amount. Families in which some members have different citizenship and immigration classifications are also eligible for a payment, if at least one person has a Social Security number. The payments phase out much more quickly than in previous rounds: An individual with income of $80,000, or a couple with $160,000, get nothing. That’s the result of a last-minute compromise to maintain the support of moderate Democrats who wanted to more narrowly target the money.

AD

2. How will the IRS determine my income?

It will use the most recent adjusted gross income in its system. So if you’ve already filed a tax return with 2020 income, that will likely be used. If you haven’t submitted your taxes yet this year, the agency will rely on your 2019 income. However, the payment is technically based on the income you earn in 2021, which isn’t yet known. If you earn less this year than in prior years, you can claim any missing payments on the tax return you file next year. But good news: If you earn more this year and would qualify for a smaller payment or no payment at all, you won’t have to send the money back.

3. Should I wait to file my 2020 tax return?

If you qualify for a bigger stimulus check based on your 2019 income, compared to your 2020 earnings, it’s fine to wait to file. Just be sure that you submit all your paperwork and any taxes due by April 15 to avoid penalties and fees. There are also legal ways to reduce your adjusted gross income if your income is likely to land just slightly above the qualification thresholds. Contributing more to tax-favored retirement or health savings accounts or deferring income, such as waiting to sell a business stake or some stock, could keep your income within the limit to qualify for the payment.

55 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Since Trump wanted his name on the last round, Biden should put "Every Republican voted against giving you this money" on the new checks. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, Bama Chick said:

I wonder if there’s a appeal process of sorts? I’m now single and will qualify but all the tax records they’re using are from when I was married and filing jointly and we made too much money with my ex’s income.

From 2019 or 2020? 

If your 2019 was too high to qualify for the $1800 last year, you should get it on your tax refund when you file this year if your 2020 income meets the levels.

If your 2020 is too high but you anticipate a change for your 2021 income when you file next year, the $1400 (or whatever you qualify for) should be given to you then. 

It's a year behind for some people. 

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I wonder if there’s a appeal process of sorts? I’m now single and will qualify but all the tax records they’re using are from when I was married and filing jointly and we made too much money with my ex’s income.

yeah, you'll unfortunately have to wait until you file your tax return for 2021. we got a $115 check for the last round, but it was made up on my 2020 return

27 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

When did you get divorced? If it was before the end of the year, then you were technically single and should have filed as unmarried. If it was after the end of the year, but you were separated for an extended time before that you may be able to change to head of household. You may also be able to amend from married file jointly to married filing separately so long as do so before the deadline. Call a tax professional. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/my-original-return-was-filed-as-married-i-am-divorced-now-and-would-like-to-file-a-1040x-as-head-of/00/42185

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/how-to-change-your-tax-filing-status/L5yYux3qL

Edited by Dahobbs
edit: N.B., I assumed from the question that you have already filed your 2020 return.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

As was pointed out elsewhere by Aaron Rupar, the former president gave ONE press conference his first year in office so nothing quite like waiting until there is a lot to talk about before meeting with the press. The only questions it raises right now is whether reporters will ask about COVID response, immigration, Cabinet nominations/confirmations, or Dr. Seuss.

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Today, Friday, March 11, 2021, both the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at their all-time highs, so I'd like to congratulate Joe Biden for building the greatest economy the world has ever seen.

Donald Trump said "If Biden is elected, the stock market will crash."

29 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Today, Friday, March 11, 2021, both the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at their all-time highs, so I'd like to congratulate Joe Biden for building the greatest economy the world has ever seen.

Biden is doing so well that he's even able start the weekend a day early.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The real reason that Fox et al are pushing for a formal press conference is so they have more meme and video footage. Jen Psaki has been shutting down the Doocey whenever he asks a stupid question.

I hope he does hold one in the next month or so, but I'm not surprised he's not had one yet.

1) Not sure how these would keep him "accountable"
2) They're not doing news conferences because Biden is ancient and sundowning and absolutely could not hold it together during an intense, long press conference
He's had dozens of appearances before the press where he did perfectly fine answering questions. Give me a fucking break with your bullshit.