COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

8 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I don't know your son's motivation for not getting the shot, but does it not fall into this category?

For me, I had the first two shots - Moderna - and then nothing after.  Got omicron 9 months later.  Super mild.  Maybe I've had it since, maybe I haven't.  I've had a couple of mild colds.

My kids - now 10, 12, 14 - never had the shot.  They've all had Covid.  Two asymptomatic, the other had a cough.

I don't believe in any wild ass conspiracy theories.  But I also believe "we don't know everything" and won't for years.  So as long as Covid is a nothingburger for me and them, our current approach is "do nothing."  

Are you me?  For real, had exact same experience except the kids are  a few years younger.    I don’t think I’ve known a single person that’s had it in >9 months now. 

On 9/25/2023 at 5:29 PM, Deej said:

Wait until you get the two shingles shots. I've never felt worse in my life. 

I made the mistake of commenting, "Are the shingles really worse than that?" to a person who had had shingles, and as shitty as those shots were, shingles are apparently waaaaaay worse.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Hmm…I had assumed the freak phenomenon of “Sudden Medical Expertise (But Just in the Limited Area of COVID Medical Expertise)” was just a 2020-2021 phenomenon.

Sadly, it appears it to have flared back up in some people…like gonorrhea.

Like flies on shit 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I had shingles about 20 years ago.  My doc gave me a prescription for oxy-something.  I am terrified of addiction, and I stared at that bottle of pills for nearly a week w/o taking any.  It sucked, monumentally so.  My outbreak was the common "stripe" on the torso -- some people get it near their eyes and go blind.  Fuck that.

19 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Whatever it is, it's twelve hours later and no ill effects, not even a sore arm. They must be making the chips smaller.

That’s good to hear.  Timing is the issue for me.  My last two shots knocked me out good for about a day and a half. I have a lot going on during the weekends this fall and I don’t want to miss any work, so I keep pushing it off closer to Thanksgiving.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That’s good to hear.  Timing is the issue for me.  My last two shots knocked me out good for about a day and a half. I have a lot going on during the weekends this fall and I don’t want to miss any work, so I keep pushing it off closer to Thanksgiving.

The two OG shots knocked me down pretty hard.  The third shot (September 2021) knocked me down, but less so.

The bivalent shot plus flu shot last year was unnoticeable like the combo yesterday.  Unbothered.  That makes it a lot easier for sure.

Edited by dcbc

On 9/26/2023 at 7:58 PM, mdleast said:

Hmm…I had assumed the freak phenomenon of “Sudden Medical Expertise (But Just in the Limited Area of COVID Medical Expertise)” was just a 2020-2021 phenomenon.

Intuitional "expertise" has not been influenced by outside sources any more than that of the deniers, right?  #rolleyes.

If you want the shot, get the shot.  Just like any other medical care.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:58 PM, mdleast said:

wait.  gonorrhea is bad?

• Like 1

Intuitional "expertise" has not been influenced by outside sources any more than that of the deniers, right?  #rolleyes.
If you want the shot, get the shot.  Just like any other medical care.

Yes, just like any other medical issue, I think it’s absolutely reasonable (and what pretty much everyone did pre-COVID) to rely upon the recommendations of the supermajority of medical professionals. Since that supermajority has previously and currently recommends getting the COVID shot (“jab” to you timid types) I will continue to follow the recommendations of the medical community on this and all other medical matters.

To do otherwise should cause you to #rolleyes
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

Yes, just like any other medical issue, I think it’s absolutely reasonable (and what pretty much everyone did pre-COVID) to rely upon the recommendations of the supermajority of medical professionals. Since that supermajority has previously and currently recommends getting the COVID shot (“jab” to you timid types) I will continue to follow the recommendations of the medical community on this and all other medical matters.

To do otherwise should cause you to #rolleyes

Jump to conclusions mat is working nicely.

I am not one of ‘those folks.’ I swear this discussion is religious for you fuckers.  It’s absolute devotion or the other person is the devil.

Edited by slorch

Jump to conclusions mat is working nicely.
I am not one of ‘those folks.’ I swear this discussion is religious for you fuckers.  It’s absolute devotion or the other person is the devil.

Funny you say that as that’s exactly what I thought of you based on your prior response: this discussion is religious for you. Not religion for me: just following the recommendations of the medical establishment just as I always have. I’d submit to you that (only since COVID) has the issue of (not) following the recommendations of the medical establishment become religion for some and I do think it’s time we take the issue back from the dumb people.

db378bf82eedfb7db66b0240f6412fff.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

Whatever it is, it's twelve hours later and no I'll effects, not even a sore arm. They must be making the chips smaller.

My arm hurt for two days, but I'm also a giant pussy when it comes to needles. Also got a little tired, but far less than the initial round of covid vaccines. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

My doc recommends spacing them out by two weeks as well as the rev vaccine. Her results with those wanting both has been shitty.

I think I posted this previously but I had the combo last year and had a pretty severe allergic reaction-broke out in hives, one doctor speculated it was a chemical burn, maybe bleach didn’t rinse in the wash or something.  

I was miserable for about a week before I went to see a dermatologist who immediately called it an allergic reaction, recommended Benadryl, and it was gone in 12 hours.  

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

My doc recommends spacing them out by two weeks as well as the rsv vaccine. Her results with those wanting both has been shitty.

Shitty how?  Like they end up getting the flu, COVID, or both, in spite of the shots?  Or they feel shitty after the shot combo versus getting one at a time?  Because I don't feel bad at all and didn't feel bad when I got them at the same time last year either.  That's just my anecdotal experience, and I recognize your doc has a larger anecdotal pool of patient experiences to pull from.

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

When will this thing be available at walk-in clinics and pharmacies?

I'm not in a major metro, but I made my appointment Wednesday morning and there were appointments available all day.  Of course, I don't live in the part of the state that's super gung-ho about getting vaccinated. 

On 9/25/2023 at 5:29 PM, Deej said:

So you don't think the last booster helped keep you from getting it the previous 7 months? The immunity from it is going to wane. 

Wait until you get the two shingles shots. I've never felt worse in my life. 

I got the two shingles shots last Nov and this Jan. I was a bit tired after them but nothing that even remotely compared to:

1) Appendicitis - I was in the surgery prep room, and it perforated. I was hoping for death.

2) Pancreatitis - the organ was creating so much digestive juice that it was digesting itself. I was in the ICU for a week stabilizing.

12 hours ago, mdleast said:

Funny you say that as that’s exactly what I thought of you based on your prior response: this discussion is religious for you. Not religion for me: just following the recommendations of the medical establishment just as I always have. I’d submit to you that (only since COVID) has the issue of (not) following the recommendations of the medical establishment become religion for some and I do think it’s time we take the issue back from the dumb people.

db378bf82eedfb7db66b0240f6412fff.gif

Nope  Cool with the shots.  Cool with the boosters.  I laugh at the victory laps.  I mean a good haircut feels good too.

I took the initial Cv-19 vax.  did not take the others.  I've also taken one flu shot in my entire life, unless it was also  in the litany of shots we got in the military.

I'm not anti-vax. I got my childhood shots.  So did my kids.  There's nothing wrong with minimizing medicinal intake though That's been my approach without the politics and horseshit for most of my life, way the hell before CV-19 showed up.

Edited by slorch

On 9/26/2023 at 8:02 PM, Beau Vine said:

I made the mistake of commenting, "Are the shingles really worse than that?" to a person who had had shingles, and as shitty as those shots were, shingles are apparently waaaaaay worse.

I just had the Shingrex vax. I heard like you did and was prepared for the worst. Really, to be honest, I was kinda anxious about it for a few days before.

These old people are full of it. The DTAP shot hurt worse. Covid shot hurt WAY worse.

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  Because, strategic genius that China is, they KNOW that the key to making America fall is....destroy Goldthwaite.

Well, anyone who has driven from Austin to Colorado knows that Goldwhaite is a strategic crossroads town, up there with Bastogne, in that it’s your first sign of civilization with gas station bathrooms that don’t look like the one in Trainspotting. 

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, FunDip said:

I just had the Shingrex vax. I heard like you did and was prepared for the worst. Really, to be honest, I was kinda anxious about it for a few days before.

These old people are full of it. The DTAP shot hurt worse. Covid shot hurt WAY worse.

Nobody was talking about how much the shot hurt. What kind of pussy thinks shots hurt? 

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Nobody was talking about how much the shot hurt. What kind of pussy thinks shots hurt? 

Well the shot itself didn't hurt, but the Shingles Vax put a hurting on me.  It's kinda infamous for being shitty.

That said, EVERYONE says shingles sucks, so I was happy to get the vax and deal with side effects

15 minutes ago, The Bell Tolls for Thee said:

Food for thought in this testimony from a PhD in South Carolina.

For some background, he thinks we did the best we could at the time with the time constraints we had. Also is a strong proponent of the mRNA platform.

He sampled and then sequenced old vials of Pfizer vaccine. Lots of contamination with DNA. Effects TBD.

Phillip Buckhaults - College of Pharmacy | University of South Carolina (sc.edu)

image.jpeg.a8a2d8803aa09110f776dcbc43c14bd5.jpeg

• Haha 1