A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

It’s a decent way to juice young turnout.  It jumped 11 points in 2020 and they’re hoping that magic can be recaptured.  

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Maybe. But there are thousands (maybe more) long-time Swift fans who are eligible to vote for the first time this year like my 18-year-old daughter. She can't wait to vote against that orange piece of shit.

54 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

just for some perspective, Blackburn won with 54.7% of the vote in 2018.  in the Tennessee governor's race in 2018, the Republican won with 59.5% of the vote.  the overall popular vote for all federal House races in Tennessee that year was 59.25% for the Rs. the overall popular vote for all state senate races in Tennessee that year was 63.2% for the Rs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Tennessee_elections

clearly, Taylor's endorsement of Phil Bredesen - which came less than one month before the election - made a difference.  not enough to win, obviously.  as Js1 noted, JC himself couldn't win in Tennessee with his lib policies.  but she cut the gap.  if Taylor came out this summer for Biden, it would absolutely make a difference with young voters nationwide.

29 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

And I'll quote Rick Wilson.

"It's cracking off a chunk of voters at a time. It's slow but it works."

I'm not expecting a sea change all at once. That would be great, but if you keep stacking little bits it starts to add up. Add young women to the voter registration rolls and keep them engaged and you might get some of those swingy districts. Might keep out some wild eyed bitch from the school board. That's what I'm thinking about. Replace the old women that reliably voted R with young, pissed off, and engaged young ones that vote D.

I honestly really really hope y'all are correct. But I'm old and cynical.

Its not the yutes that will give this election to Biden. Its the auto workers in Pennsylvania. Its the blacks in Georgia. 

28 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I honestly really really hope y'all are correct. But I'm old and cynical.

Its not the yutes that will give this election to Biden. Its the auto workers in Pennsylvania. Its the blacks in Georgia. 

Probably the most unsung heroes in saving democracy are black women in Georgia, and it's not an accident, these ladies put in a lot of hard work to make it happen.  Of course other people have been involved, but that's sure been a big part of it.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah dude, that's the joke.  I helped authorize the termination of a driver because he wanted to take a tractor-trailer, illegally, to the border.  and we, without any hint of irony, helped some Swift Transportation drivers get into the Convoy.  I mean, I'll about my higher power but it's fucking impossible we're not living in a computer simulation.  I literally had a guy believing me the other day when this convoy was announced that CF went bankrupt because it stood for 'Colored Foreigners'            You can tell these fucking people anything, it's not even fair.  

image.gif.1aec6174ad59cb4173da1f99d27f3132.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

If Swift mobilized 20 or 30k of otherwise non-participating voters in each of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Wisconsin--  it would be massive.  

The inability of MAGA and Donny not to attack Swift - in abusive, deplorable personal ways that are obviously misogynistic - would have an ancillary effect on the large non-deplorable voting demographic as well.

Every Democratic candidate could ask their opponent if they renounce the horrible attacks on Miss Swift for urging everyone to register and vote. They can’t do that. MAGA DNA and all. 

We don’t need MAGA Republicans to change their ways, we need a small number of former Republican independents holding their noses just one time and voting for Biden. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

remind us who won that election?

Point is, I'm not sure the "Tay-Tay Effect" will be as big as some of y'all seem to thing it will be. 

my 4th grader can't vote

18 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The inability of MAGA and Donny not to attack Swift - in abusive, deplorable personal ways that are obviously misogynistic - would have an ancillary effect on the large non-deplorable voting demographic as well.

Every Democratic candidate could ask their opponent if they renounce the horrible attacks on Miss Swift for urging everyone to register and vote. They can’t do that. MAGA DNA and all. 

We don’t need MAGA Republicans to change their ways, we need a small number of former Republican independents holding their noses just one time and voting for Biden. 

This is the impact.  It’s not so much her saying “vote Biden” but the distraction for Dotard and MAGA when they try to go after a pop star and further display their idiocy.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Maybe. But there are thousands (maybe more) long-time Swift fans who are eligible to vote for the first time this year like my 18-year-old daughter. She can't wait to vote against that orange piece of shit.

Exactly.  My friends daughters said every sorority on campus have registered to vote and can't wait to vote for the first time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Apparently Travis shouldn't be underestimated either; NY Post & NY Times both with articles. Two quotes below.

Now, fans are looking to score his signature ‘do, flocking to local barbershops to demand the low skin fade — or nearly bald on the sides and ever so slightly longer on the top — and touting their fresh trims online, calling it “the Travis Kelce.”

Not since Jennifer Aniston has a haircut become so popular. Barbers, in America and abroad, are being inundated with requests for “the Travis Kelce.”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

i’m sorry she can’t vote, but a 4th grader with a felony conviction is pretty bad-ass Rimbo. 

Well, what’s she in for?

-embezzlement. 

she sounds like a nice girl /kramer 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If the fact that they won’t condemn his sexual assault, his numerous other felonies, his insurrection and attempted coup, his ludicrous actual presidency that we all lived through, and all the other shit he’s done doesn’t matter to people, are we really going with, “My goodness, can you imagine how upset people will be if Republicans don’t condemn Donald Trump for writing a mean tweet about Taylor Swift?!?!”

I mean, maybe that is what moves the needle, because this is America, and we are what we are.  But the people who are actually engaged enough to vote already have way more important data points to consider or willfully ignore as they see fit.  

And a Trump-Swift feud might still be too high brow for the 18 year old completely disengaged nonvoting block.  I just listened to the two teens working the registers at the grocery store discussing the “beef” between two made up sounding people I’ve never heard of, that I assume are TikTok influencers,  as though it was the biggest news story since Watergate.  So, good luck with all that.

Yup, Trump could label Swift a rancid-cunted whore and it wouldn't change a single Trump voters mind. Sure, a few like might furrow their brow in a Collins-esque display, but they will still shrug their shoulders and vote for orange jesus. Thats not how cults work, you dont question the leader. But I do think Swift's influence could motivate a few to vote who ordinarily wouldn't bother, which in the right states could have a non-trivial effect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh the teenage girls claiming to be overtime, union auto workers On a school day wasn’t a dead giveaway?  Shocked.  Shocked I tell you!

i honestly don’t know how to further digest the stupidity of these people.  All I can do is acknowledge my own prize lack of imagination.  Maybe I’ll grow as a person as a result, probably not but worth a try

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Apparently Travis shouldn't be underestimated either; NY Post & NY Times both with articles. Two quotes below.

Yep and I asked for the same but my barber thought I said Jason Kelce now I look like this

Spoiler

IMG_1720.thumb.webp.707edc026179fd385525d8f86f1f692e.webp

• Haha 5
  • Prepare your anus 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If the fact that they won’t condemn his sexual assault, his numerous other felonies, his insurrection and attempted coup, his ludicrous actual presidency that we all lived through, and all the other shit he’s done doesn’t matter to people, are we really going with, “My goodness, can you imagine how upset people will be if Republicans don’t condemn Donald Trump for writing a mean tweet about Taylor Swift?!?!”

1) you may have missed the fact that I was not talking about a demographic of Trump base fans changing their minds. 

2) It does seem that over time more independents and Bush style Republicans are souring on him, and if not outright hatred of Trump, there certainly seems to be a diminishing enthusiasm for voting for him.

3) We all know that historically the demographic that votes less as a percentage is the youth vote.  Youth are far less Trump friendly. An increase in youth voting can be a serious factor in close elections when they tend to adopt Democratic views on things like abortion and how you treat gays and women

4) I might be fuller of shit than even my normal, but it seems to me in these “find me 11,000 votes” type elections that a bunch of pissed off young women could play a significant role in registration and turn out, potentially changing the election results. Of course I agree with you that attacking Swift will not change a single MAGA supporter’s opinion of Trump.  

But elections aren’t decided by how many people like or don’t like a candidate. They are decided by those who turn out and vote.  This is not a like or don’t like thing.  This is more an energized turnout thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Kris Kristofferson was 100% a bad ass !

Playing this in the den on the laptop and Mrs. Canecutter is losing her shit from the kitchen. Excerpts:

"YOU TOO can learn CB LINGO!"

"Love that 'Up With People' chorus. 'We're gonna wear corduroy pants with flowers on them and  rainbow suspenders.'"

"I farted."

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Were they always this way and I just didn't realize just how fucked up they were? I can't imagine my great uncles and grandfather fighting Nazis coming home with support for destroying democracy.

A huge amount of them came home from fighting Nazis and devoted their time supporting segregation.    This really isn’t that much different. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

A huge amount of them came home from fighting Nazis and devoted their time supporting segregation.    This really isn’t that much different. 

It's such a hard pill to swallow but I can't disagree.

So I will go stand with the ghosts of Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie.

image15.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Were they always this way and I just didn't realize just how fucked up they were? I can't imagine my great uncles and grandfather fighting Nazis coming home with support for destroying democracy.

I would like to think that my WWII vet grandparents would have called bullshit on Trump, but they died before they had the opportunity to express that opinion.