A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Good post.  As much as it seems incumbent on military leaders to denounce him, and as much as many would probably like to, they represent a constitutional entity with a specified place in the scheme.  It is probably wise of them not to break that constitutional norm.

It's very likely that this is why there's a letter floating around from 10 former SecDefs.  And I'm sure Dotard was real subtle about the suggestion by saying something like "can we just barricade in and start killing people who won't accept that I'm still the president?"

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/donald-trump-could-be-planning-turnberry-trip-as-scots-airport-told-to-expect-a-high-flyer-the-day-before-joe-bidens-inauguration/?utm_source=twitter

Prestwick airport has been told to expect the arrival of a US military Boeing 757 aircraft, that is occasionally used by Trump, on January 19 – the day before his Democratic rival takes charge at the White House.

Speculation surrounding Trump’s plans has been fuelled by the activity of US Army aircraft, which were based at Prestwick airport for a week and said to be carrying out 3D reconnaissance of the president’s Turnberry resort.

Sources at Prestwick said two US military surveillance aircraft were circling Turnberry in November, using the Ayrshire aviation hub as a base. US media has reported that Trump will break with tradition and snub the inauguration of President Joe Biden on January 20, instead announcing a re-election bid on Air Force One.

Aircraft used by the President, First Lady and Vice-President are given a US special call sign as opposed to a tail number to make it easier for air traffic controllers to give them special treatment.

Every plane Trump flies in has a special call sign, including his own personal Boeing 757, which has the call sign Tyson 1.

Air traffic controllers receive details of the arrival of a plane with a US special call sign weeks in advance but are not told exactly which plane when the booking is made. The source at Prestwick airport, who asked to remain anonymous, said: “There is a booking for an American military version of the Boeing 757 on January 19, the day before the inauguration. That’s one that’s normally used by the Vice-President but often used by the First Lady. Presidential flights tend to get booked far in advance, because of the work that has to be done around it.”

Spoiler

Airport sources said surveillance planes appeared to lay the groundwork for Trump’s arrival in November. An MC-12W Liberty – a US Air Force version of the King Air 350ER, which is modified for the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) role – landed at Prestwick on November 12. It made a number of flights over Trump Turnberry.

Another US Army aircraft that visited the airport on November 12 also carried out surveillance flights over Trump Turnberry.

A source said: “The survey aircraft was based at Prestwick for about a week. It is usually a sign Trump is going to be somewhere for an extended period.”

Some media outlets in the US have speculated that Trump would announce a 2024 re-election bid during a flight on one of the President’s official Air Force One planes on inauguration day.

Veteran NBC reporter Ken Dilanian tweeted: “Trump may announce for 2024 on inauguration day. Either way, he won’t attend the inauguration and does not plan to invite Biden to the White House or even call him.”

White House spokesman Judd Deere said Trump has not finalised his plans for inauguration day.

If Trump does fly to Scotland he could be in breach of coronavirus restrictions. Trump Turnberry is effectively closed until February 5 due to Tier 4 rules, according to the resort’s website.

The US Department of State – America’s equivalent of the Foreign Office – said it was for the White House to comment. The White House did not respond.

The Scottish Government said the UK Government’s Foreign Office is responsible for planning Presidential visits. Transport Scotland said: “This is an operational matter for the airport itself”.

Prestwick airport and the Foreign Office did not comment.

7 minutes ago, Chooky said:

It's very likely that this is why there's a letter floating around from 10 former SecDefs.  And I'm sure Dotard was real subtle about the suggestion by saying something like "can we just barricade in and start killing people who won't accept that I'm still the president?"

He is like Elaine when she gets caught with all the illegal expenditures at J Peterman.

f1990d95-02ea-4ff6-acbe-ed456408af6d_tex

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I'm sure that Trump has worked through all of the options: allow him to remain as Acting President while "irregularities are researched,  or hold another election next November (while he remains in office.) 

The saddest part of this whole affair is the effective silence from GWB. I understand his unwillingness to involve himself in political matters or submit opinions that hurt current Presidents but he won't comment on efforts to subvert the Constitution. I assume GWB takes the stance that he will only comment ONCE the Constitution is tossed aside. But wouldn't that be too late?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But wouldn't that be too late?

Yes. We're in the middle of a coup d'etat right now. IMO, prior to the election he was attempting a coup, laying the groundwork for a coup, but once the people spoke and the election results were counted it was and continues to be a coup. This is not a peaceful transfer of power, this is an attempt to hold on to power and not relinquish it.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I agree, but I'm not well versed in how the military conducts itself during times of unrest. W/O going back and rereading some of the protest threads, can you or someone give me a rundown on the procedure for this week if things were to go south during the next two plus days of Proud Boys/MAGA stuff? That's the National Guard that would handle that? (If it were beyond the local PD capabilities). The Homeland Security troops?

(It's separate from the convo regarding the defense leaders recent statement, but seems pertinent to the discussion as Trump appears prepared to go that route. He admires force. He is gleeful at violence. He wants people hurt.)

When the guard is activated they are under the control of the governor/state, not the fed. They still have to comply with posse comitatus though, so they can’t be used to enforce the law. I don’t know what the rules are on homeland security, I assume they are considered a domestic entity, so they can probably be used more broadly.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Yes. We're in the middle of a coup d'etat right now. IMO, prior to the election he was attempting a coup, laying the groundwork for a coup, but once the people spoke and the election results were counted it was and continues to be a coup. This is not a peaceful transfer of power, this is an attempt to hold on to power and not relinquish it.

I assume the main argument, against certification, will be that many Americans question the results. Of course, those questions are falsely repeated by Trump and his lawyers, who use the Trump voter's opinions, who have used the Trump lawyers' opinions and so on. 

Regardless I assume that the request by the traitorous reps and senators will be that we need a delay to get to the bottom of this.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm sure that Trump has worked through all of the options: allow him to remain as Acting President while "irregularities are researched,  or hold another election next November (while he remains in office.) 

The saddest part of this whole affair is the effective silence from GWB. I understand his unwillingness to involve himself in political matters or submit opinions that hurt current Presidents but he won't comment on efforts to subvert the Constitution. I assume GWB takes the stance that he will only comment ONCE the Constitution is tossed aside. But wouldn't that be too late?

GWB is probably staying quiet because he almost gave Trump and any future fascists a much easier path to a coup. 

In 2006, Congress modified the Insurrection Act as part of the 2007 Defense Authorization Bill (repealed as of 2008). On September 26, 2006, President George W. Bush urged Congress to consider revising federal laws so that U.S. armed forces could restore public order and enforce laws in the aftermath of a natural disaster, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition. These changes were included in the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007 (H.R. 5122), which was signed into law on October 17, 2006.[14]

Section 1076 is titled "Use of the Armed Forces in major public emergencies". It provided that:

The President may employ the armed forces ... to ... restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition ... the President determines that ... domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order ... or [to] suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy if such ... a condition ... so hinders the execution of the laws ... that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law ... or opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.[15]

In 2008, these changes in the Insurrection Act of 1807 were repealed in their entirety, reverting to the previous wording of the Insurrection Act.[16] It was originally written to limit presidential power as much as possible in the event of insurrection, rebellion, or lawlessness.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I assume the main argument, against certification, will be that many Americans question the results. Of course, those questions are falsely repeated by Trump and his lawyers, who use the Trump voter's opinions, who have used the Trump lawyers' opinions and so on. 

Regardless I assume that the request by the traitorous reps and senators will be that we need a delay to get to the bottom of this.

Hence: coup. It doesn't have to be violent to happen. (At least according to Merriam-Webster). They can lawyer talk it up all they want to but the votes were counted and it is done.

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not the GWB hater that many on this site are, my man, but I think you might consider that perhaps the "saddest part of this whole affair" which includes an effort to overturn a peaceful and democratic election in favor of a criminal kleptocratic/autocrat who also happens to be a malignant narcissist who is completely unhinged and has nothing but contempt for pretty much every citizen of the united states AND who is widely popular and not going anywhere politically without continuing to do lasting and permanent damage to the entire way of life we have in the United States...isn't that GWB has kept his mouth shut during the entire process.

In fact, in light of what I just posted, it might be time to consider that maybe GWB doesn't deserve the level esteem that you seem to hold for him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, Ron Johnson, that goon from Wisconsin, said as much yesterday on Meet the Press.

"There are a lot of people that think there was fraud!"

"Yeah, because you've been telling them that."

"No, no, I, uh...NO!"

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Perhaps they are also thinking they are clever (this would be Ted and Josh) and capable enough to simply draw out the audition/fight/power play until the inauguration but that is an extremely dangerous game to play and their hubris is unlimited. You don't FAAFO with this. If they're hoping to grab the base off the inevitable loss to propel themselves into future ambitions, likewise. The collateral damage would reveal their utter disdain for American lives.

Also: what @Biff Tannensaid.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/donald-trump-could-be-planning-turnberry-trip-as-scots-airport-told-to-expect-a-high-flyer-the-day-before-joe-bidens-inauguration/?utm_source=twitter

Prestwick airport has been told to expect the arrival of a US military Boeing 757 aircraft, that is occasionally used by Trump, on January 19 – the day before his Democratic rival takes charge at the White House.
Speculation surrounding Trump’s plans has been fuelled by the activity of US Army aircraft, which were based at Prestwick airport for a week and said to be carrying out 3D reconnaissance of the president’s Turnberry resort.

Sources at Prestwick said two US military surveillance aircraft were circling Turnberry in November, using the Ayrshire aviation hub as a base. US media has reported that Trump will break with tradition and snub the inauguration of President Joe Biden on January 20, instead announcing a re-election bid on Air Force One.
Aircraft used by the President, First Lady and Vice-President are given a US special call sign as opposed to a tail number to make it easier for air traffic controllers to give them special treatment.
Every plane Trump flies in has a special call sign, including his own personal Boeing 757, which has the call sign Tyson 1.

Air traffic controllers receive details of the arrival of a plane with a US special call sign weeks in advance but are not told exactly which plane when the booking is made. The source at Prestwick airport, who asked to remain anonymous, said: “There is a booking for an American military version of the Boeing 757 on January 19, the day before the inauguration. That’s one that’s normally used by the Vice-President but often used by the First Lady. Presidential flights tend to get booked far in advance, because of the work that has to be done around it.”

Spoiler

Airport sources said surveillance planes appeared to lay the groundwork for Trump’s arrival in November. An MC-12W Liberty – a US Air Force version of the King Air 350ER, which is modified for the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) role – landed at Prestwick on November 12. It made a number of flights over Trump Turnberry.
Another US Army aircraft that visited the airport on November 12 also carried out surveillance flights over Trump Turnberry.
A source said: “The survey aircraft was based at Prestwick for about a week. It is usually a sign Trump is going to be somewhere for an extended period.”
Some media outlets in the US have speculated that Trump would announce a 2024 re-election bid during a flight on one of the President’s official Air Force One planes on inauguration day.
Veteran NBC reporter Ken Dilanian tweeted: “Trump may announce for 2024 on inauguration day. Either way, he won’t attend the inauguration and does not plan to invite Biden to the White House or even call him.”
White House spokesman Judd Deere said Trump has not finalised his plans for inauguration day.
If Trump does fly to Scotland he could be in breach of coronavirus restrictions. Trump Turnberry is effectively closed until February 5 due to Tier 4 rules, according to the resort’s website.
The US Department of State – America’s equivalent of the Foreign Office – said it was for the White House to comment. The White House did not respond.
The Scottish Government said the UK Government’s Foreign Office is responsible for planning Presidential visits. Transport Scotland said: “This is an operational matter for the airport itself”.

I was just about to post something similar. Would the UK not extradite him?

I think the GWB silence speaks volumes. Especially in light of the actions of comrade Cruz and other repubs.

I’m ok with it.

1 minute ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Interesting question. The UK just ruled to not extradite Assange correct? Maybe since it's the day before he leaves office he's going to pardon him.

8 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Please god let this happen.  Him fleeing the country would be such a cherry on top of all of this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

many calls. many meetings. this coup shit seems like a lot of work. Good thing dotard is known for his legendary work ethic. 

Goddam that fucker and his inapt adjectives.  He's got whoever does those doing it too.

Tremendous calls!  Tremendous meetings.  Like no one has ever seen before.

Christ on a cracker.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Stopping point on the way to Russia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

I doubt they begged them to, but I’m sure they passed on all the fuckery they were seeing and hearing in the hopes that someone they trusted would raise some stink about it. The people in uniform are in a supremely shitty spot about this. It’s easy to say they should just publicly denounce Trump but that’s a massive conflict with their duties and would break faith with the CiC as an office. Yes, Trump deserves that break, but the effects would last beyond him.  The military is doing everything possible to stay apolitical. 

Yes, I was being strident in my language.  But everything you said is the essence of what I meant. 

41 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I think the GWB silence speaks volumes. Especially in light of the actions of comrade Cruz and other repubs.

I’m ok with it.

He came out that first weekend to congratulate Biden when every other Republican was hiding in fear, terrified to put anything on the record (shit, most still are). It would obviously be great if the only other living Republican president said, "Enough with this shit"...but I'm not holding my breath. I don't think that dude misses politics and dealing with the backlash of his actions one bit. I don't hate the dude as much as much, but will admit that distancing himself while others do shitty things in the name of the Party is sort of his whole deal.

• Like 1

Nothing W does can help.  Everyone already knows that Bush hates Trump.  The only people who can make a difference are Republicans in Congress (and perhaps Republican governors).  And by and large they are choosing Trump over democracy.  Even the ones who are not overtly backing Trump are avoiding an outright rebuke.  The GOP made a deal with the devil and the debt is due.  And we might all be fucked because of it.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Good post.  As much as it seems incumbent on military leaders to denounce him, and as much as many would probably like to, they represent a constitutional entity with a specified place in the scheme.  It is probably wise of them not to break that constitutional norm.

or they will also add fuel to the fire that there is a deep state.  

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Every accusation is a confession. 

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The problem with this country is not the people attempting the coup, it's the spineless cunts not enforcing the rules. Pelosi, Schumer, McConnel, pretty much every congressman and senator. 

was listening to Al Frankin last nigh and he was calling out Schumer as well as any Democrats for not speaking up.  It was a very good listen because he was speaking with top election lawyer Mark Alias about Trumps post election losses and what they mean: https://alfranken.com/listen/marc-elias .  Good to get clarity.     

Nothing W does can help.  Everyone already knows that Bush hates Trump.  The only people who can make a difference are Republicans in Congress (and perhaps Republican governors).  And by and large they are choosing Trump over democracy.  Even the ones who are not overtly backing Trump are avoiding an outright rebuke.  The GOP made a deal with the devil and the debt is due.  And we might all be fucked because of it.

I’m sure lots of Republicans will support this

5 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

was listening to Al Frankin last nigh and he was calling out Schumer as well as any Democrats for not speaking up.  It was a very good listen because he was speaking with top election lawyer Mark Alias about Trumps post election losses and what they mean: https://alfranken.com/listen/marc-elias .  Good to get clarity.     

Can he not run again in Minnesota?  God we need him.

• Hook 'Em 3

The problem with this country is not the people attempting the coup, it's the spineless cunts not enforcing the rules. Pelosi, Schumer, McConnel, pretty much every congressman and senator. 

Kind of like this?

(Even though we know no one with actual authority will do jack shit about it.)
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Every Trump quisling should be forced to listen non-stop to Al Franken's cackle for their eternity in hell.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Unfortunately, we live in a society where, the more people speak out against him, the more galvanized and vocal his base becomes, the more willing Trump is to do something truly crazy, the more willing other Republicans are to debase themselves for their votes and money. You can feel Trump's opposers just counting down the seconds in relative silence. 

I have no idea what the best play is here. They clearly don't either.

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Can he not run again in Minnesota?  God we need him.

i like Franken, and he has noticeably increased his public profile in the last 6 months, but i saw an appearance a few months ago were he kind of looked "out of it".

Not suggesting Alzheimer's or dementia, but he didn't seem as sharp shall we say. It was a bit sad to see.

Edited by yoladu

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Anyone who thinks statements from revered Republicans will make any difference doesn’t understand what we’re dealing with. Trumpism isn’t some incremental continuation of the GOP of yesteryear. It’s a completely different thing. It’s a parasite that has finally emerged from its host in its full grotesque glory. The GOP body that once fed this MAGA monster is now nothing more than a ravaged husk. It is of no further use to the now-independent parasite, and can be ignored.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

i like Franken, and he has noticeably increased his public profile in the last 6 months, but i saw an appearance a few months ago were he kind of looked "out of it".
Not suggesting Alzheimer's or dementia, but he didn't seem as sharp shall we say. It was a bit sad to see.

I know what you’re talking about and at the time I thought he was either drunk or high.

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You can feel Trump's opposers just counting down the seconds in relative silence. 

I have no idea what the best play is here. They clearly don't either.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, we’re going to need a non-violent revolution or we’ll get a violent one instead. The writing has been on the wall for some time now. 

That was a fear I mentioned yesterday--that instead of days and hours, we will be counting seconds. One shot at Fort Sumpter was followed by 43 others. Doesn't take long. That no one was killed was a miracle. Let's hope that we can weather this storm.

• immamac changed the title to A story about a pathetic man's downfall
  • Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement