A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

18 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

7.  That there is some pilot just hanging out for a few weeks at 65,000ft, staying mentally sharp enough to pilot the balloon with just a few solar panels providing his oxygen and keeping his "bus" nice and toasty while outside it is -70 degrees F.

And that pilot?  George Santos.  Climbed down a rope ladder before Space Force made it go kaboom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The spy ballon thing reminded me of the time Japan bombed Omaha in WW2.

Relatively late in the war, the Japanese desperately wanted to disrupt the American war effort.  The loaded up a bunch of balloons with incendiary ordinance and launched the them into the air stream, with a leakage rates that they believed would cause them to land in the US.  They were mainly trying to cause forest fires in the western US.  The effort wasn't terribly successful, although I think it did cause some fatalities as a few people who found unexploded bombs didn't stay clear.  And, one of these bombs did come down in Omaha, near an area of town called Dundee.  

The US Military didn't want the Japanese to have any notion of whether it was successful, so they completely covered it up.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The spy ballon thing reminded me of the time Japan bombed Omaha in WW2.

Relatively late in the war, the Japanese desperately wanted to disrupt the American war effort.  The loaded up a bunch of balloons with incendiary ordinance and launched the them into the air stream, with a leakage rates that they believed would cause them to land in the US.  They were mainly trying to cause forest fires in the western US.  The effort wasn't terribly successful, although I think it did cause some fatalities as a few people who found unexploded bombs didn't stay clear.  And, one of these bombs did come down in Omaha, near an area of town called Dundee.  

The US Military didn't want the Japanese to have any notion of whether it was successful, so they completely covered it up.  

Knew of that generally, didn't know they made it as far as as Nebraska, or Michigan for that matter.  https://www.history.com/news/japans-killer-wwii-balloons

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2023 at 7:16 PM, Red Five said:

These flew over Florida and Texas while he was potus and he did nothing. Except lie about it, of course. 

He probably never even knew, since he couldn’t ever be bothered to read his daily intelligence briefings. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tokamak said:

He probably never even knew, since he couldn’t ever be bothered to read his daily intelligence briefings. 

Yep. His handlers understood early on if they needed to hide something from Trump, they’d put in his PDB.

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I can hardly think of anything that affects less people in their actual lives than this spy balloon bullshit. I mean, oh my god, who cares? 

Truly. This is the dumbest story, and the fact that people can't let it go and move on, on both sides, is telling us all something if we care to listen.

• Fuck You 8

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Truly. This is the dumbest story, and the fact that people can't let it go and move on, on both sides, is telling us all something if we care to listen.

Remind me who on the D side can't let this go and move on?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 2:37 PM, Native Horn said:

And that pilot?  George Santos.  Climbed down a rope ladder before Space Force made it go kaboom.

legit question from this non-legit comment: did they ever say which agency took it down? was this Space Force's (snicker) first real mission? or did they get passed over for someone more experienced? (also snicker)

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

11 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

legit question from this non-legit comment: did they ever say which agency took it down? was this Space Force's (snicker) first real mission? or did they get passed over for someone more experienced? (also snicker)

Whoever the pilot was, from whatever branch they serve, they get the first recorded kill in an F-22.

How cool is that?

• Hook 'Em 1