Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Lupoi is such an important hire that we should do everything possible to bring him on just short of making him the actual DC. 

I think I’d like to keep Ash and hire Lupoi as a handsomely paid Co-DC/DL coach with no play calling responsibilities.

33 minutes ago, maninblack said:

On a hire like Tosh, at his salary, it'd require some title shenanigans. A redemption shot at actually being the cook doesn't seem like a risk I'd take if I was Sark. 

Well, maybe we could supplement his contract with a bag full of cash.

2 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Lupoi is such an important hire that we should do everything possible to bring him on just short of making him the actual DC. 

I think I’d like to keep Ash and hire Lupoi as a handsomely paid Co-DC/DL coach with no play calling responsibilities.

If we’re going to do this, let’s drop our nuts on these other programs.  Meyer is in a position to say no to an obscene amount of money.  But these other guys aren’t.  Bama paid Lupoi 1.1 mil.  Let offer him 1.5 and tell him, bring us recruits and you’ll keep getting paid.  Offer Corey Raymond an insane amount.  We all made fun of aggy but they didn’t give a fuck and bought themselves a coaching staff that could compete with the SEC.  If we’re going to roll with Sark, give him blank checks for the best staff to put him in the best position to be successful.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Assuming he’d be okay with Co with Ash. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Looks like the Rhule/Brady experiment isn’t working at Carolina Panthers. I doubt they fire Rhule this quick but I can see Brady being available. Would you want as an OC under Sark? 

Carolina is in a rebuild. That staff isn't going anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Looks like the Rhule/Brady experiment isn’t working at Carolina Panthers. I doubt they fire Rhule this quick but I can see Brady being available. Would you want as an OC under Sark? 

The Panthers gave Rhule $60 million guaranteed. I’d say he’s very safe for a good long while. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Easy yes for me but sark calls his own plays and Brady will likely get another nfl oc role.  Will not happen

Just now, Machinator said:

Carolina is in a rebuild. That staff isn't going anywhere.

I mean year 1 (in covid year) with brand new coaches and a team that barely ever had its best player, and has a QB that isn’t near what he used to be. Yeah it wasn’t great but that tweet is trash too.

33 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Not only that, his one year as a DC was not a good one. Saban jettisoned him after that. Fine to give him a token "co" title but absolutely don't hand him the keys.

And Hutzler already has the co title so you'd have to strip that if he stayed. I'd be good with Hutzler tbh assuming some of these other stud recruiters come true.

Also, he may not be so picky when he's out of a job in a few days

Why can't you have 3 cocos?

I don’t think we need to get hung up on “Sark absolutely has to hire this one guy!” because there could be reasons why we cannot get a certain coach that are completely valid. Lopui is coaching in the NFL now and might simply not want to coach in college. He’s also not the only guy who can drop bags of cash on a recruit’s doorstep. I’m looking for a coach committed to spending to get the best available guy and avoiding the Shawn Watson-Drew Mehringer comfort hires. There are several coaches at every position who can upgrade our coaching and recruiting. I’m looking for someone looking to maximize and not getting hung up in a cult of personality. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t think we need to get hung up on “Sark absolutely has to hire this one guy!” because there could be reasons why we cannot get a certain coach that are completely valid. Lopui is coaching in the NFL now and might simply not want to coach in college. He’s also not the only guy who can drop bags of cash on a recruit’s doorstep. I’m looking for a coach committed to spending to get the best available guy and avoiding the Shawn Watson-Drew Mehringer comfort hires. There are several coaches at every position who can upgrade our coaching and recruiting. I’m looking for someone looking to maximize and not getting hung up in a cult of personality. 

If they just need someone to drop bags, I’ll do it for half of what they would pay Lopui.  Seems like it would be a pretty easy gig.

8 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
Tosh Lopui - Co-Defensive Coordinator, Defensive Line, Director of Recruiting, Associate Head Coach, 

I believe Drayton is a AHC too, can you have more than one?

AHC for the Defense. Who gives a shit.

Our bag program under Strong and Herman has been decent. We really don’t have that far to go, we just need more sophistication and organization. I’m seeing a lot of names for these hires that could bring us up to speed over the offseason. It’s great that Sark has learned that side of the game from two of the best to ever do it (Carroll and Saban), but he’s gonna need sophisticated assistants that will be smart about setting it up properly. We lack reliable donor/alum infrastructure. It’s just not something that we have ever been able to set up here, and it’s 100% necessary to compete nowadays. 

• Like 1

Is Ash really that good? I feel like after Manny _iaz and To__ Orlan_o, we are just happy that our defense under Ash didn’t have huge schematic holes that get exploited over and over by the other teams, but statistically speaking this year’s defense wasn’t very good at anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

Is Ash really that good? I feel like after Manny _iaz and To__ Orlan_o, we are just happy that our defense under Ash didn’t have huge schematic holes that get exploited over and over by the other teams, but statistically speaking this year’s defense wasn’t very good at anything.

Ash has a better CV than those two but you do bring up an interesting point that there were a decent amount of people that loved both of those guys after one year as well.

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

We lack reliable donor/alum infrastructure. It’s just not something that we have ever been able to set up here, and it’s 100% necessary to compete nowadays. 

Pfft.  You can get most of it done by a nasty old hag who runs a “brand promotions” business as a front. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

as long as it aint Muscamp I am all in....

I've seen this sentiment several times now.  Maybe I missed something, or have rose colored glasses but I remember Coach Boom being a bad mofo as our DC.  What's the deal?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Fair question. I think most people give him more credit than the stats because he inherited such a dumpster fire without an offseason and there was visible progress throughout the year (like tackling)

From Wikipedia on Boom:

In announcing the move, the University of Texas noted, "Muschamp's Longhorn defense is leading the Big 12 in rushing defense (82.5 ypg/25th NCAA) and scoring defense (19.5 ppg/25th NCAA). UT ranks second nationally with four sacks per game. The Horns have held all of their Big 12 opponents below their season scoring average and limited six foes to 14 points or less."[20]

• Hook 'Em 1

Urban and I think he is. “Situational stops” and forcing turnovers are the name of the game today, and regardless off all of our faults, we did well at both.

And the oft mentioned lack of an off-season in 2020 is even more reason to admire the progress we made throughout the year. I’m a big fan of his possible retention.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

Urban and I think he is. “Situational stops” and forcing turnovers are the name of the game today, and regardless off all of our faults, we did well at both.

And the oft mentioned lack of an off-season in 2020 is even more reason to admire the progress we made throughout the year. I’m a big fan of his possible retention.

Exactly, he continued to have the defense improve despite more film being available. Also the slow start can be attributed to the lack of an off season. 

17 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Wel, you could do that (drop the money bags), but he needs to set it up.

I have just the man for you! A handsome man!! He lives his life by the honor code and has lots of spirit. He knows how to drop the bags. He's very smart. He makes sure to match the names on the bags with a driver's license before releasing the goodies. There must be a signature before any transaction can take place, besides that one darn time he got drunk and handed over a trans am. Shit, no one's perfect. It's a hard job. 

He's also proficient on how to fuck the secretary, he doesn't use condoms, and keeps it classy by doing his business in the other room away from the kids. Sometimes he forgets to lock the door, but no one's perfect.

Talk about BDE, damn, he has it in spades. He's a glorified legend. I mean, people buy jizz jars with his picture on it. Whoooooooop!!!!

Name that caption: Steve Spurrier, slave to fashion | Get The Picture

• Hook 'Em 1

Ash's real test was going to be next year.  Unfortunately, we have to make a decision now.  I'm OK with keeping him or with someone new (assuming quality hire).  We improved a lot, but we also had no pass rush for long stretches and our CB's were still lost at times.  We did a nice job against the run.  Urban likes him.  I could go either way.  

23 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Ash has a better CV than those two but you do bring up an interesting point that there were a decent amount of people that loved both of those guys after one year as well.

Yeah, you can't completely tell if a guy is the right choice after one year. I think it takes a good 3 years to get a good feel for a coach. He could be bad at certain things that the previous coach was good at, so the weakness doesn't immediately come back to bite you. I mean, the kids may have learned well from the previous coach. You won't know until most of the players are the new coach's recruits.

27 minutes ago, maninblack said:

He showed improvement over the course of the year which is big. He also didn't need to rely on scheme/continuously sending blitzes to try and confuse the QB.

But for next year we lose our only bona-fide edge rusher, Joseph Ossai. His job will get harder, you have to get pressure on the QB in the Big 12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Ruhle is guaranteed something like $50 million. He isn't going anywhere.

Brady isn't going back to NCAA after one NFL year...

Edited by NoName

3 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Ash's real test was going to be next year.  Unfortunately, we have to make a decision now.  I'm OK with keeping him or with someone new (assuming quality hire).  We improved a lot, but we also had no pass rush for long stretches and our CB's were still lost at times.  We did a nice job against the run.  Urban likes him.  I could go either way.  

This is where I am at. Retaining him honestly feels underwhelming even though I think he is a good DC and did well. Just would hate for Sark and Ash to not mix well and we are looking for another one next offseason. Would rather just go complete reset barring some assistants and support staff being retained

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He showed improvement over the course of the year which is big. He also didn't need to rely on scheme/continuously sending blitzes to try and confuse the QB.

But for next year we lose our only bona-fide edge rusher, Joseph Ossai. His job will get harder, you have to get pressure on the QB in the Big 12.

Sounds like whoever is the DC is going to need a competent recruiter on the DLine

• Hook 'Em 1