Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

28 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i just dont get the love for Stanford. Comparing their academics to Texas's and Im just not seeing it. Ok, fine they are in cool NorCal but is that any better than the ATX? and i mean WTF is a cardinal? private school vs public? no comparison. at the end of the day, i think Texas just comes out ahead of Stanford in every measurable. i deem this question of which is better, Texas or Stanford, resolved once and for all. thank you.

It was not meant to stir up the age old Stanford debate. He has visited OU, A&M, Texas, and OSU. That does not signal that academic rankings are very important to him. I believe academic talk, when someone visits Texas, ND, and Michigan.. I dont, when I see OU and OSU

Edited by Codaxx

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It was not meant to stir up the age old Stanford debate. He has visited OU, A&M, Texas, and OSU. That does not signal that academic rankings are very important to him.  You would think Michigan would be the Big 10 visit, if it was about academics and football. 

Or...    he has more than just one criteria.       (driving distance, relationship with coaches, city size, CS department rankings).      Maybe he thinks Michigan has stupid helmets.   He is 17/18 years old.    What is most important to him probably changes daily.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Or...    he has more than just one criteria.       (driving distance, relationship with coaches, city size, CS department rankings).      Maybe he thinks Michigan has stupid helmets.   He is 17/18 years old.    What is most important to him probably changes daily.

that was the point. The academic portion is being over-played. 

10 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Geez Louise. This the Colin Simmons hysteria all over again, only somehow worse.

They're teenagers making the most significant choice of their lives. It's pointless to try and game that out. Let the coaching staff worry about it and just wait for the decision.

I don't know what world in which you think this is even close to Simmons or worse, either the scenario or the "hysteria" on the boards. There's been about a dozen posts saying "WTF" on a kid that the staff questions his heart/motor desire to get to the NFL playing football. Versus a kid they had as a just have, the #1 player in a state where we haven't been getting the #1 player all to often, at the weakest position on the roster, where multiple people were upping the dollar amounts what seemed like damn near every 2 days before his commitment. The other player is Dominick McKinley.  

9 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

It isn't being overplayed, it is a factor, not the factor. No one has ever said that he will choose Texas strictly for academics. People are making something out of nothing.

The problem here is that people made something out of nothing when the kid said academics and thus pencilled him into the Texas class. That was something out of nothing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Would rather him end up at aggy if it isn’t texas. If his heart isn’t in the game, then good luck finding it in that program lol. Also, would rather them keep blindly allocating resources for the DLine and ignore everything else. CTJs proposed 11-0-0 formation sounds more realistic every day. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

It isn't being overplayed, it is a factor, not the factor. No one has ever said that he will choose Texas strictly for academics. People are making something out of nothing.

Gerry has said over and over that academics are a big part of this recruitment.  I believe that means getting a degree is very important, not the quality of the degree. 

8 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

Would rather him end up at aggy if it isn’t texas. If his heart isn’t in the game, then good luck finding it in that program lol. Also, would rather them keep blindly allocating resources for the DLine and ignore everything else. CTJs proposed 11-0-0 formation sounds more realistic every day. 

Pretty much my exact reaction as well. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Gerry has said over and over that academics are a big part of this recruitment.  I believe that means getting a degree is very important, not the quality of the degree. 

Let me help you and the board understand what is meant by folks referencing academics being important for this recruitment.

The mom was a multi-decade teacher in Lafayette. She's now in leadership for the teacher's union or association in those parts. Her kids have high academic requirements inside of their own household. The "academic" part of this is not just getting a degree, and it isn't something to be poo-poo'ed on this board.

What is getting all of you idiots spun up in the wrong direction is thinking that academics = Texas. There are some $9.95ers that have dealt with this recruitment who have also gotten twisted up in that logic. 

The problem is, and I'm negging anyone who thinks we need to hear about or see the actual numbers on this, ATM isn't perceived to be a significant falloff from Texas. The gap is between ATM and OU and LSU. Ohio State is a serious contender because of academics and Johnson, but distance is a major problem. The reason the recruit isn't likely going to LSU is due to academics. The reason the player isn'tlikely going to OU is due to academics. So it's apparently Texas or ATM, and ATM happens to be in a town roughly the size of Lafayette (perceived to be, at least, and no one needs the fucking MSA numbers on this either).

So then ask yourself, when NIL hasn't played a role in a 5 star recruitment, how many of those has Texas won in the trenches in the last 15 years? Not many. Hence people not feeling really confident anywhere around this one. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

i just dont get the love for Stanford. Comparing their academics to Texas's and Im just not seeing it. Ok, fine they are in cool NorCal but is that any better than the ATX? and i mean WTF is a cardinal? private school vs public? no comparison. at the end of the day, i think Texas just comes out ahead of Stanford in every measurable. i deem this question of which is better, Texas or Stanford, resolved once and for all. thank you.

Pull it together.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Gerry has said over and over that academics are a big part of this recruitment.

I, just as everyone else on this board who pays attention, is fully aware of that. To be more specific, he said his mom was impressed with the increased graduation rates on the DL under Sark. Shocking that a mom would be interested in that I know. Also shocking that academics might be a factor in determining your higher education choices. Academics being overplayed is overplayed. He is going to play football on someone else's dime and momma wants him to graduate. 

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let me help you and the board understand what is meant by folks referencing academics being important for this recruitment.

The mom was a multi-decade teacher in Lafayette. She's now in leadership for the teacher's union or association in those parts. Her kids have high academic requirements inside of their own household. The "academic" part of this is not just getting a degree, and it isn't something to be poo-poo'ed on this board.

What is getting all of you idiots spun up in the wrong direction is thinking that academics = Texas. There are some $9.95ers that have dealt with this recruitment who have also gotten twisted up in that logic. 

The problem is, and I'm negging anyone who thinks we need to hear about or see the actual numbers on this, ATM isn't perceived to be a significant falloff from Texas. The gap is between ATM and OU and LSU. Ohio State is a serious contender because of academics and Johnson, but distance is a major problem. The reason the recruit isn't likely going to LSU is due to academics. The reason the player isn'tlikely going to OU is due to academics. So it's apparently Texas or ATM, and ATM happens to be in a town roughly the size of Lafayette (perceived to be, at least, and no one needs the fucking MSA numbers on this either).

So then ask yourself, when NIL hasn't played a role in a 5 star recruitment, how many of those has Texas won in the trenches in the last 15 years? Not many. Hence people not feeling really confident anywhere around this one. 

but what about Stanford? have they offered? and does the family understand the never ending academic battle between Stanford and Texas?

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I hear what you're saying and I understand it. But I also don't like it, so I'm going to disregard it and complain about Aggie dropping bags again. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Am I making this up or was McKinley the one with the questions about how much he loves football and the comparison was to Alfred Collins?

I'll choose to believe he will maximize if he chooses Texas and will quit the team and become a computer scientist at the age of 20 if he attends another school.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Am I making this up or was McKinley the one with the questions about how much he loves football and the comparison was to Alfred Collins?

I'll choose to believe he will maximize if he chooses Texas and will quit the team and become a computer scientist at the age of 20 if he attends another school.

Yup

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Am I wrong in reading this as A&M might essentially win this by default because they are the closest, pretty good academically, big-time school to Lafayette? All things else being equal do the elite DL talents just like Elijah Robinson more than Bo Davis?

Edited by Rokotosh
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Rokotosh said:

Am I wrong in reading this as A&M might essentially win this by default because they are the closest, pretty good academically, big-time school to Lafayette? All things else being equal do the elite DL talents just like Elijah Robinson more than Bo Davis?

If you read the debate around here, you'd get the idea that recruits care about nice neighborhoods, good weather, and housing costs just like we aged bastards who write here. 

I only know what I read about this recruit around here, but if it's not money then he might choose a place for any number of reasons we've forgotten about. Maybe a bunch of pretty girls drifted by. Maybe it was the feel of a building. Who knows?

Teens go on feel not spreadsheets.

If the kid himself is to be believed, which I'm more inclined to do given his distain for the recruiting circus, he recently told Sam Spiegelman that he decided on a school "about a month-plus ago" and currently feels even more confident in that decision. If CTJ and certain 9.95'ers are to believed, this isn't an NIL-focused recruitment, such that one wouldn't expect this to be a last minute bag battle with schools jockeying for position down to the wire.

With that backdrop, what schools other than Texas were under serious consideration about a month ago? OU and tOSU were squarely in the top group, but last I checked neither have since moved their campus closer to Lafayette, and OU hasn't skyrocketed up the USNWR rankings. A&M was viewed as a blip on the edge of the radar, largely written off in the "just a hat on the table" category with LSU. If this was a NIL-focused recruitment, the alleged A&M "resurgence" would mean a lot more.

The only school that checks the "location" and "academic" boxes AND was in the contending group when McKinley said he made his decision? Texas. 

All of the last-minute 9.95'er reporting is noise for clicks.

Edited by derpyhorndog
derp
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Hank South (Horns 247), on Dominick McKinley.  

Spoiler

Hank South (Horns 247), on Dominick McKinley.  

Was told Sark and McKinley's mother have been in contact today and yesterday, so any reports that Texas is out of it are just speculation. Checking in with several sources today, I have heard the Aggies buzz and I'm not discounting it. They're a serious contender for McKinley and one that we've seen several media lean towards here less than 72 hours out. I'm not there yet. I'm sticking with my Texas prediction for now. I think we're probably going to see some more twists and turns and we're probably going to see a healthy contingent of coaching staffs at Acadiana on Friday (the first day coaches can get back out on the road).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Aggie 247, on Dominick McKinley.

**********************************************************************************

-Ahead of Friday's decision, there have been a wide array of assessments about where McKinley is expected to land. A lot of this can probably be attributed to information being closely guarded in the recruitment and that leading to varying intel about the schools in the race. GigEm247 has spoken to several people over the past few days to get a read on where things stand. Texas A&M has been a perceived dark horse in this race but there has been increasing buzz about A&M early this week and the Aggies are believed to be a major player heading into Friday. With that said, McKinley and his family remain in contact with all the schools in the mix as of Tuesday and programs are continuing to make their final pitches ahead of Friday's decision. We do not believe he has told any school of a decision. Elijah Robinson has certainly done a great job in this recruitment though and his pedigree recruiting and developing defensive lineman are among the factors catching McKinley's attention. Oklahoma and Texas are making McKinley a big priority and safe to say hammering home the importance he holds to the future of their defensive line as they prepare to make the move into the SEC. This is likely to be one that goes down to the wire on Friday and is likely not settled with a few days to go. 

*************************************************************************************************

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't post on the recruiting board very often, but I am going to make a general statement about recruiting and academics. Poster tend to make comments based on their own personal experiences. I can give examples but will focus on academics.

Let's say that a highly recruited young man from a small east Texas town takes a visit to OU. He wants to major in business and is serious about getting a good education. He takes a trip to OU and the first thing that the OU coaches do is take him to the academic center where he sees more computers and other devices than he has seen in his entire small town. He sees dozens of tutors working with some of the football players and he is incredibly impressed. 

Then he meets some of the business professors and they knock his socks off with their business presentations. Then, the coaches take him to meet Michael Price. Sadly, he passed away a couple of years ago, but he was OU's Red McCombs. Price tells him how his OU business education helped him become the huge success that he became. The kid is in awe and comes home and raves about the OU education. Poster laugh at the kid because they are making assumptions based on their own personal experiences and not on the young man's recent experiences.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

He takes a trip to OU and the first thing that the OU coaches do is take him to the academic center where he sees more computers and other devices than he has seen in his entire small town. He sees dozens of tutors working with some of the football players and he is incredibly impressed. 

Like, meth pipes?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I don't post on the recruiting board very often, but I am going to make a general statement about recruiting and academics. Poster tend to make comments based on their own personal experiences. I can give examples but will focus on academics.

Let's say that a highly recruited young man from a small east Texas town takes a visit to OU. He wants to major in business and is serious about getting a good education. He takes a trip to OU and the first thing that the OU coaches do is take him to the academic center where he sees more computers and other devices than he has seen in his entire small town. He sees dozens of tutors working with some of the football players and he is incredibly impressed. 

Then he meets some of the business professors and they knock his socks off with their business presentations. Then, the coaches take him to meet Michael Price. Sadly, he passed away a couple of years ago, but he was OU's Red McCombs. Price tells him how his OU business education helped him become the huge success that he became. The kid is in awe and comes home and raves about the OU education. Poster laugh at the kid because they are making assumptions based on their own personal experiences and not on the young man's recent experiences.

And during the visit a degree hits him in the head.    They pass them out like jolly ranchers out there 

16 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Here We Go Again GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Stanford and Southwest Texas State were my safety schools.

Edited by South Austin
  • Haha 3

I’ve noticed Gerry is now putting the order as a&m first and ut second when talking about McKinley and which schools it is down to. I am guessing the whole surge in a&m seems is manufactured in order to pump up the win against them for a couple reasons.

1. Like Gerry has said, most kids have already decided when they set their dates and a&m wasn’t being mentioned when he set his decision date.

2. Once you set that date it puts a target on schools to ramp up their pressure and if this was an NIL recruitment then I would weigh that late push pressure more, but I believe CTJ that it isn’t, which means a late push wouldn’t present any new info vs when he made his mind up and set his date.

So it seems the most likely explanation is this a&m hype is for show, which I like bc fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls