Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

https://247sports.com/article/dominick-mckinley-commitment-top-schools-texas-am-texas-lsu-oklahoma-ohio-state-215076417/

The important parts:

Regarding Texas
Dominick: “I love how Coach (Steve) Sark(isian) is really honest and he’s honest with all his players and his coaching staff, and how Coach Bo (Davis) is energetic and honest with you as well and they can get things rolling.”
Angie: “We were able to visit them twice. A great staff. Coach Bo was very welcoming, was knowledgable, able to answer all our questions. Coach Sark he just text me a couple days ago. He’s always in touch. I feel confident they could grow Dominick in every aspect.”

Regarding Texas A&M

Dominick: “Love how Coach E(lijah) Robinson, Coach Tony (Jerod-Eddie) they treat all their players like they’re their own family. They have a great community and they take care of their players.”
Angie: “I not only got to know the coaches, I got to know their families as well, where I knew they would text me after church, ‘how was church, we did that at church today.’ It was really like a family. I know that Coach Robinson has a great personality, one that Dominick can connect with. Coach Mason (Smith) is always texting Dom and keeping in touch. Even with me, they became like family as well.”
Angie said her son has gone “back and forth” on his final two.
“We’ll see what his final decision will be,” she said.

So aggy is now just one big happy church family.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

So aggy is now just one big happy church family.

They all go to the church they built for Dindy's pops.

That kid and his mom are going to fall for Dumbo's BS and then have to find out in-person how toxic that locker room/culture is.  Guess how last year went wasn't enough evidence.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They all go to the church they built for Dindy's pops.

That kid and his mom are going to fall for Dumbo's BS and then have to find out in-person how toxic that locker room/culture is.  Guess how last year went wasn't enough evidence.

Hope they’ve done sufficient research regarding aggy racism….does aggy have any DT’s?

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TXRed said:

Angie: “I not only got to know the coaches, I got to know their families as well, where I knew they would text me after church, ‘how was church, we did that at church today.’ It was really like a family. I know that Coach Robinson has a great personality, one that Dominick can connect with. Coach Mason (Smith) is always texting Dom and keeping in touch. Even with me, they became like family as well.”

Momma + church does not bode well for our beloved university in the heathen, libertine big city. 

26 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Momma + church does not bode well for our beloved university in the heathen, libertine big city. 

Counterpoint, Jumbos aggie fb program has kids smoking weed in the locker room, drag racing in parking garages, selling backpacks fulL of drugs, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

McKinley is either lying about having made up his mind over a month ago or he is lying about having interest in Aggy. Either way, lying is unbiblical and I’d hate for his dishonest ass to be a negative influence on Aggy’s churchy locker room. I guess he might as well come to Texas instead.

Edited by Sock Monkey
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

selling backpacks fulL of drugs

just in case people forgot:

McKinnley Jackson was caught with 22 grams of a controlled substance (originally it was reported it was Xanax but was adjusted to ketamine), which was a 2nd degree felony and a 1.4 oz of weed.

he was suspended for two games, vs Kent State and Colorado.

initially it was talked about as another example of police coming down too hard on players, but this is how they found it and found out who it was:

On April 7, a Sani-Cloth canister containing marijuana and blue, rectangular pills was found in the hallway of a Park West apartment building by custodial staff, according to the report. Surveillance video revealed the canister fell out of the backpack of an individual later identified as Jackson, according to the report filed by the University Police Department.

Five days later, the report states Jackson went to the University Police Department and admitted that he was the individual in the video and that the canister and its contents belonged to him. He also identified the drugs as marijuana and “bars,” a slang term for Xanax, according to the report.

A search warrant was issued for Jackson’s apartment, and drug paraphernalia was found in his room, according to the report.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, irishtexan said:

Of course the team with a staff that includes a guy that killed a kid, an adulterer, and a racist asshole wins out on “church”. Unreal.

Idk, sounds like all this information is just Aggie side. Up until this week it was he keeps everything so tight and blah blah blah then all of a sudden it’s this. Seems peculiar. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh well, our D-Line Haul is still nice, hoping we can land our edge prospects as well as find a late diamond to finish off the interior. 

imo Baker and Black are still the two that should be #1&2 on our board. Interested to see how Sark can finish off the class 

18 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Counterpoint, Jumbos aggie fb program has kids smoking weed in the locker room, drag racing in parking garages, selling backpacks fulL of drugs, etc. 

No argument from me, I understand that’s the reality there. It’s the fact that his mother is saying that publicly that makes me worry she doesn’t understand that. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Outside of Collin Simmons, why are we so  bad at recruiting 5 stars on the defensive line?

I know you know this, but those recruitments are the most vicious and heated recruitments out of any. Everybody needs them, especially teams with high aspirations, and there's not enough of them to go around. 

My burnt orange brain assumes that we'll fight dirty, but not quite as dirty as everyone else. That we'll focus on our NIL, rather than bags, and talking up our program, rather than tearing down other programs. I'm sure we negative recruit, I just don't think we do it to the degree necessary. I'm probably being naïve, but that seems to be Sark's style and the style he wants his staff to adopt. I'm sure Coach Bo knows what buttons to push, he's been doing this long enough, but the strategy is being set by Sark. 

With this McKinley specifically, I'm wondering if LSU, Texas, and OU didn't knock each other out of it. A&M wasn't really on the radar, and maybe the front runners tore each other down to the point that it gave A&M a chance to slide back in late. I obviously don't have any inside information, but they may have been able to play up the church angle because no one thought enough of their chances to point out all the moral failings of that program. 

Fumble at the one?  What the fuck are you talking about?  A kid who has played most of his recruitment very close to the vest appears to now be leaning away from Texas.  The same people that said just a week ago that he was heavily leaning towards Texas and all their predictions pointed to Texas are now saying the opposite.  The only thing that has changed is the quality of the intel at these shitty websites not that there was some significant development on Texas' side and someone dropped the ball on the recruitment? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We've been surviving off Herman's leftovers at interior DL so far, but we're going to take a big step back in 2024. Just haven't been able to land enough bluechips at a position where we really need more quality depth.

Jaray Bledsoe, Aaron Bryant, Sydir Mitchell, Byron Murphy’s development, Alex January, D’Antre Robinson, Melvin Hills, and portal guys as needed.

We’re fine. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

Regardless of McKinley, do we think the staff will look to the JUCO ranks for a DT?  We are going to need another body ready to play meaningful snaps next year, wether it's from the portal or JUCO.

I could see Robinson maybe factoring in being an EE, but Hills and January more than likely red shirt.

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Jaray Bledsoe, Aaron Bryant, Sydir Mitchell, Byron Murphy’s development, Alex January, D’Antre Robinson, Melvin Hills, and portal guys as needed.

We’re fine. 

Our two best DT's this year were composite 3*'s (Sweat and Murphy).  What duo in the Big 12 would we trade them for?  They are probably a top third DT duo in the SEC as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

We’re fine. 

Portal is tough at DT. It isnt like WR. There are not a lot of game changers at DT in the portal, programs do everything to keep them on the roster. The few that get away are just as tough to land, as 5 star DTs. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls