Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said this last week in regards to Smith. I guess Texas was pitching him on playing on the edge some and that turned him off.

"Texas mentioning Smith as an EDGE in any role was a part of him choosing A&M. Kid just doesn’t see himself in that regard - at this point in his career"

Kid might not be smart. If a top tier program thinks you have a chance at EDGE you have to give it a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said this last week in regards to Smith. I guess Texas was pitching him on playing on the edge some and that turned him off.

"Texas mentioning Smith as an EDGE in any role was a part of him choosing A&M. Kid just doesn’t see himself in that regard - at this point in his career"

Ill never understand this. Tough to go 1st round as a traditional ILB. Being able to rush the passer is worth a couple rounds in the draft. IF you play ILB, you should pray for a chance to occasionally come of the edge.

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Ill never understand this. Tough to go 1st round as a traditional ILB. Being able to rush the passer is worth a couple rounds in the draft. IF you play ILB, you should pray for a chance to occasionally come of the edge.

The ncaa is littered with undersized edge guys who aren’t big enough for the next level. Not saying that Smith falls into that category, but maybe he thinks he won’t be big enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Yeah, no shit. Does he think wherever he goes he will only be blitzing up the middle?

26 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Defensive player that doesn’t want to get after the QB occasionally, ok den.

Not a Gary Johnson (I hate QBs and RBs) type, I suppose. 

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The ncaa is littered with undersized edge guys who aren’t big enough for the next level. Not saying that Smith falls into that category, but maybe he thinks he won’t be big enough. 

The way I read that, it seems the coaches were trying to sell him on being kinda like Hill this season and lining him up everywhere. Not telling him they thought he could be an edge defender. 

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Gerry (IT) put out an article, shortly after Miller decommitted from aggy, about what prospects Texas might pursue should that class implode. 

The only player Gerry thinks Texas will actively recruit is TyAnthony Smith.   Unfortunately it looks as though Red Bryant, a former aggy player, has some influence and is making life difficult for Texas in this recruitment.

He listed Weston Davis and Dominick McKinley as players Texas would take a phone call from - but those players and their families are going to have to make the first move.

Blake Ivey is likely out of the picture if Texas can flip Deandre Carter.

Myles Davis would be a backup option if Texas is unable to flip Xavier Filsaime.

anybody else read this as Blake Lively at first? Wishful thinking i guess. 

• Haha 2

Justin Wells (IT) pretty much waving the white flag on Wingo today.  Said Missouri is clearly the leader and Texas would have to get Wingo back on campus to even have a shot.

Wells said WR Izaiah Williams is setting up an OV to Texas.

Recent LSU de-commit and injured WR Joseph Stone has a Texas offer and reached out recently but Texas staff is not as interested as they were before the injury.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 4

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Justin Wells (IT) pretty much waving the white flag on Wingo today.  Said Missouri is clearly the leader and Texas would have to get Wingo back on campus to even have a shot.

Recent LSU de-commit and injured WR Joseph Stone has a Texas offer and reached out recently but Texas staff is not as interested as they were before the injury.

Portal it is, then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Stone was processed by LSU if I am reading the tea leaves correctly. Looks like a guy who was highly ranked as a sophomore and junior and just hasn't improved/got injured.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Stone was processed by LSU if I am reading the tea leaves correctly. Looks like a guy who was highly ranked as a sophomore and junior and just hasn't improved/got injured.

He got hurt. 

Gipson has a serious injury that has spooked teams. Don’t be surprised if you see something similar there. Not certain. Just saying it’s not a crazy scenario. Texas has certainly reprioritized. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He got hurt. 

Gipson has a serious injury that has spooked teams. Don’t be surprised if you see something similar there. Not certain. Just saying it’s not a crazy scenario. Texas has certainly reprioritized. 

Apparently that injury will keep him out next season as well.

I'd assume achilles just because of how it was presented and Gipson may not have access to the new procedure for that. 

33 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

“In the beginning, I thought this would happen on Dec. 20,” he said. “I took visits, I have been to all of those schools and I just had a change of heart. I talked it over with my family and got that feeling, so I decided to commit sooner. This is happening earlier than I expected, but things just changed.”

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

“In the beginning, I thought this would happen on Dec. 20,” he said. “I took visits, I have been to all of those schools and I just had a change of heart. I talked it over with my family and got that feeling, so I decided to commit sooner. This is happening earlier than I expected, but things just changed.”

200.gif

We can just grab him in the portal after mizzou returns to being mizzou.
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wait, i thought CTJ said that Wingo was already a silent for us?

RIP top 5 class

@closetojumping I'm sure will relish the opportunity to defend himself, but I'm pretty sure he wrote one of those "Black and Wingo are silents so make of that what you will." posts (i.e., a silent commitment is about as strong as a promise that "the check is in the mail.")

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

@closetojumping I'm sure will relish the opportunity to defend himself, but I'm pretty sure he wrote one of those "Black and Wingo are silents so make of that what you will." posts (i.e., a silent commitment is about as strong as a promise that "the check is in the mail.")

Correct. I don't feel like there's anything to defend. If someone has been following recruiting for more than 3 days and still doesn't understand how this stuff works, that's on them. 

Also, I still don't think a top 5 class is out of the realm of possibility, but it really depends upon how numerous programs finish, including Texas, UF, ATM, and LSU.

• Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Bad timing for Mizzou to actually look like a relevant program.  Would certainly rather him go there than a traditional power.

Bad timing for Texas to shit the bed against OU. Perhaps we'll never know whether that tipped the scales, but it surely didn't help.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 8
  • Rage+1 1