Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

22 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Interesting point brought up by Justin Wells regarding Kobe Black is that his brother Korie still has a covid year remaining. He's mentioned this a few times already.

Could his brother hit the portal and change positions to safety at whatever school Kobe ends up at? Does he have good speed? 

Wardell Mack and Filsaime apparently have become close and text frequently. 

https://247sports.com/player/korie-black-46041331/

(For those of us who have real jobs and small children and don’t know anything about Korie Black)

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

https://247sports.com/player/korie-black-46041331/

(For those of us who have real jobs and small children and don’t know anything about Korie Black)

Korie Black is a good ballplayer for OSU. I've watched him a few times this year and he's done well as far as I can gather watching a CB on tv.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

He likes their pretty colors. It's like the women and kids who like Michigan because they think they have cool helmets.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Florida is my 2nd favorite team after Texas. Sucks to see their recruiting class get raped and pillaged like this. Napier was a total disaster, but maybe we can at least get Filisame out of it. 

Let me guess, Aaron Hernandez was your favorite player?

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Let me guess, Aaron Hernandez was your favorite player?

I was actually most fond of Tebow on those teams. He reminded me of Vince the way he just knew how to win. Percy Harvin, Hernandez, Spikes, they had some cold teams back then. Discussion for a different thread I guess.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He likes their pretty colors. It's like the women and kids who like Michigan because they think they have cool helmets.

It’s true. I was once a Bengals fan. Then I turned six and realized Cincinnati was not in Texas. 

3 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

He's a senior. Covid-year graduate transfer thing?

That’s my understanding. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Korie Black is a good ballplayer for OSU. I've watched him a few times this year and he's done well as far as I can gather watching a CB on tv.

Surprised he didn't choose New Mexico or New Mexico State lol

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I started liking them as a kid because alligators are my favorite animal. 

Which typed out doesn’t sound as great as in my head. Whatever. It’s a free country last time I checked. 

I got into Florida football while I dated a girl from Jacksonville. Given how things went and her general demeanor, "alligators are my favorite animal" was a much better reason.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If those dang Star Wars soft reboot movies had done better, our storm trooper jerseys would be the best jerseys in the country, according to people who watch Star Wars soft reboot movies.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Counter Point: PFF doesn’t know what the fuck they’re doing.

Which one of the coaches was pointing that out? That some of the metrics they use aren't great.  Went over a couple like blocking - how do you know how he did on a play without knowing his assignment? He might have blocked a guy real well but the guy he was actually supposed to block just steamrolled our QB, etc. DBs that cover the wrong guy/area or rush when they are supposed to be in coverage, etc.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

What’s a second favorite team?

For me it's trying to find a team that I hate less than every other team out there. I guess that could be defined as second favorite team, right?  Like, my second favorite team on this years schedule is Rice by that logic.  That's because I have no reason to hate them at all (and yes- I went to that terrible flood game where we lost on a Sunday night).

Hell, maybe Kansas is my 2nd favorite team on this years schedule. They never beat us except when we are shitty, and that has been a solid both times they beat us from moving Charlie the fuck on out of here to making 7 loss Steve get real honest in his evaluation of the team.  

19 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I thought Holmes had gotten snaps in every game, given how much we rotate? For certain he got starter reps for the 3-4 games Watts was out. He seems to be the biggest disappointment on the defensive side this year imo, given how much hype he got in Spring and Fall camps. Muhammed needs all of his reps. 

I'm also surprised how low Brooks is graded, but I also don't know shit about fuck on PFF's grades. To me, he's played about as good as I would've thought as a first year starter, and playing opposite to Watts.

On Watts... Man, I really hope the "he's too slow and is better suited at Safety" bit has been put to rest. Maybe his future in the NFL is at safety but for now,  he's a fantastic boundary corner.  The defense plays so much better when he's on the field. 

Brooks is playing worse than he was at the end of last season. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Which one of the coaches was pointing that out? That some of the metrics they use aren't great.  Went over a couple like blocking - how do you know how he did on a play without knowing his assignment? He might have blocked a guy real well but the guy he was actually supposed to block just steamrolled our QB, etc. DBs that cover the wrong guy/area or rush when they are supposed to be in coverage, etc.

Jimbo went on a rant about this in what turned out to be his final game week press conference. His main point was what you’re remembering: how can pff give grades when they don’t know each player’s assignment. He pointed multiple instances where pff graded their players higher when they had in fact blocked the wrong person etc

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, TheRRKid said:

Jimbo went on a rant about this in what turned out to be his final game week press conference. His main point was what you’re remembering: how can pff give grades when they don’t know each player’s assignment. He pointed multiple instances where pff graded their players higher when they had in fact blocked the wrong person etc

There is no system that is perfect, you need a pretty large sample size and a willingness to make the right call (see the reddit block drama of the DPOY from the NBA last season)

Still if they are blocking the wrong guy, they still blocked someone, the play was a bust, a most likely sack. But the old system of QB sacks would not have done any better.

That said coaches internal stats are always better of course, but those are not exactly shared, much less to NFL scouts.

Edited by linux

6 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I liked the Miami Hurricanes for a bit in the 90s because their starter pullover jacked looked cool.

I liked South Carolina for like 3 days in 5th grade after I bought a hat from Lids that had Cocks written on it. 

Then I watched them play a game and got rid of it. 

• Haha 3