Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No kidding. This thread is a fucking disaster. Damned near every time I click on it and try to catch up, I wind up scrolling back up with "wait, what thread did I click on?" in my head. It's just a wall of splattered poo coming in from all directions and the heinous miasma hovering along with it.

Thats your own fault, most people just click on this thread looking for a CTJ update what the hell are you clicking it for?

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I watched Roy Williams take a slant to the house on LSU and then saw him go NCAA Football (the game) all over them and I said “hook em” from that moment on in a house of Michigan/Michigan state parents. The principal at the school my mom worked at was a head big 12 ref and he had open tickets that we found out about. Remember seeing game day at the original location a few times and have a few game balls that we got to go to. Thankfully we won every game we went to that he reffed…

So, your friend retired and that’s why we’ve been getting fucked.  It all makes sense now!

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No kidding. This thread is a fucking disaster. Damned near every time I click on it and try to catch up, I wind up scrolling back up with "wait, what thread did I click on?" in my head. It's just a wall of splattered poo coming in from all directions and the heinous miasma hovering along with it.

diarrhea sneezing GIF

Surly in a gif. 

Edited by Chili dog
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can I get this thing back on track? What’s the plan at DT? Not pushing for Lindsey, McKinney, Hibbler, or Foster. Best guess, they have a big fish that’s portal bound. 

i mean rolling into next year with some combo of Collins/Broughton/Trill Carter/Bryant/Bledsoe/Sydir Mitchell + the recruits (Melvin Hills/DeAntre Mitchell/Alex January) + maybe bringing back Murphy + portal player will be fine i bet.

i'd think big game hunting at DT/NT should be interesting with being able to sell how good Sweat and Murphy were this year - and assuming you can NIL-whip Murphy to stay in school being able to sell playing next to him is a huge plus as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean rolling into next year with some combo of Collins/Broughton/Trill Carter/Bryant/Bledsoe/Sydir Mitchell + the recruits (Melvin Hills/DeAntre Mitchell/Alex January) + maybe bringing back Murphy + portal player will be fine i bet.

i'd think big game hunting at DT/NT should be interesting with being able to sell how good Sweat and Murphy were this year - and assuming you can NIL-whip Murphy to stay in school being able to sell playing next to him is a huge plus as well.

I think Murphy comes back with some NIL incentive....

14 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

So, your friend retired and that’s why we’ve been getting fucked.  It all makes sense now!

Haha sadly some guys named strong and Herman probably had more to do with it but you’re right, calls weren’t blatantly missed or called on us out of the blue. We also had a guy named Vince for a couple and Benson(was really nice when I met him RIP) for a few others-probably helped.  

30 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Wasn’t he rumored to now possibly being an early day 3 pick?  Think that’d be hard to turn down 

Yes - Nahlin had an article today saying that a well known draft guy he talked with (guessing Matt Miller) has a Day 2 grade on Murphy. If Murphy is rated that high I’d have a tough time seeing him come back. 3rd round is still good money - including a million dollar signing bonus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes - Nahlin had an article today saying that a well known draft guy he talked with (guessing Matt Miller) has a Day 2 grade on Murphy. If Murphy is rated that high I’d have a tough time seeing him come back. 3rd round is still good money - including a million dollar signing bonus. 

Yep.  Plus a 4 year deal (I think) so closer to a 2nd contract.

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That's a good problem to have, more DTs in the league.

Im happy to hear that Maalik is registering with draft guys. Personally, I'd like Maalik in burnt orange for as long as he wants to be here. Not many qb's these days have the balls and the attitude to hang around and want to learn while competing with names like Quinn and Arch when they legitimately have other P5 options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't want to spoil your fun, but here is how the next 8 months are going to play out. 

Maalik will end the season as the backup QB, but we will start hearing some buzz about Arch in the practices leading up to bowl week provided we miss the CFP. Once the season ends, Sark will say something to the effect of "This is Quinn's team heading into next season, but there is an open competition behind him to see who will be next man up." Maalik will most likely bypass the end of season portal window so that he can go into spring practice and compete for the job, although if he gets enticed into the portal in the early window it would not be the most surprising thing in the world. Commence more "Arch has closed the gap" buzz in the Spring followed by "Arch may be pulling ahead". At this point, if Sark hasn't done so already, he will sit Maalik down and tell him that because he loves and respects him and wants the best for him, he thinks his path to the field will be faster with another team. Maalik then enters transfer portal and is one of the biggest names in there, gets a nice NIL deal, and has 3 years to start for another P5 team. Fin. 

I think Maalik enters the early portal regardless.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Vertigo said:

I don't want to spoil your fun, but here is how the next 8 months are going to play out. 

Maalik will end the season as the backup QB, but we will start hearing some buzz about Arch in the practices leading up to bowl week provided we miss the CFP. Once the season ends, Sark will say something to the effect of "This is Quinn's team heading into next season, but there is an open competition behind him to see who will be next man up." Maalik will most likely bypass the end of season portal window so that he can go into spring practice and compete for the job, although if he gets enticed into the portal in the early window it would not be the most surprising thing in the world. Commence more "Arch has closed the gap" buzz in the Spring followed by "Arch may be pulling ahead". At this point, if Sark hasn't done so already, he will sit Maalik down and tell him that because he loves and respects him and wants the best for him, he thinks his path to the field will be faster with another team. Maalik then enters transfer portal and is one of the biggest names in there, gets a nice NIL deal, and has 3 years to start for another P5 team. Fin. 

Not spoiling anything. I never expected to have all 3 of those guys going into 24. I'm just saying if it somehow happens, I'm cool with it. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Did you find this on TexAgs?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 11/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, TheRRKid said:

Jimbo went on a rant about this in what turned out to be his final game week press conference. His main point was what you’re remembering: how can pff give grades when they don’t know each player’s assignment. He pointed multiple instances where pff graded their players higher when they had in fact blocked the wrong person etc

I love the idea of Jimbo ranting about several of his own guys getting undue praise. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Standing offer for the board - I will take the opposite side of the bet for any amount of money you want to place on Maalik Murphy getting drafted in the 3rd round or higher in the 2024 NFL draft. I will keep this offer open up to the day of the draft, just let me know.

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Spoiler
Player Ht Wt Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Richardson 6'4 236 *2021 Florida SEC FR QB 8 38 64 59.4 529 8.3 6.6 6 5 144.1
      *2022 Florida SEC SO   12 176 327 53.8 2549 7.8 7.6 17 9 131

Murphy 6'5 235 2023 Texas Big 12 FR QB 6 39 70 55.7 465 6.6 5.6 3 3 117.1

• Haha 2

The best thing Maalik Murphy could have done for his portal stock this year was barely play. Sounds mean to say but his stock has to have taken a pretty good hit.

No way you can be a respectable P5 program and hand the keys over to him without competition after what he put on film.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Hide contents
Richardson 6'4 236 *2021 Florida SEC FR QB 8 38 64 59.4 529 8.3 6.6 6 5 144.1
      *2022 Florida SEC SO   12 176 327 53.8 2549 7.8 7.6 17 9 131

Murphy 6'5 235 2023 Texas Big 12 FR QB 6 39 70 55.7 465 6.6 5.6 3 3 117.1

Is this a bet that interests you, sir? Let's do this. Maalik Murphy couldn't pull off a sub 4.5 forty at the combine if they let him go for it on a dirt bike.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

The best thing Maalik Murphy could have done for his portal stock this year was not play. Sounds mean to say but his stock has to have taken a pretty good hit.

No way you can be a respectable P5 program and hand the keys over to him without competition after what he put on film.

He's a RS Freshman who looked like a RS Freshman in the 2 games that he played. Bo Nix looked like shit in his 1st 2 games. Quinn looked like shit in the 2nd half of last season. Not saying Maalik is going to be Bo Nix or Ewers, he could be Swoopes V2, but it's damn premature to write off a dude this early. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

He's a RS Freshman who looked like a RS Freshman in the 2 games that he played. Bo Nix looked like shit in his 1st 2 games. Quinn looked like shit in the 2nd half of last season. Not saying Maalik is going to be Bo Nix or Ewers, he could be Swoopes V2, but it's damn premature to write off a dude this early. 

I’m not writing the dude off. But there were rumors Florida was trying to lure him into the portal after the spring game. No way that level of program is banging on his door now.

• Hook 'Em 3