Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

CT would know more but I recall Wiggins was supposed to be let go last year. I can’t believe A&M picked him up. 

Saban was supposedly weighing chopping him, but he was already dealing with more staff turnover than he cared for and the guy got a stay of execution. 

11 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Sorta how they got Jimbo. Not wanted at his current position; A&M considers getting him a huge coup.

It’s easier to hire a dismissed coach from another team, than to hire one that isn’t planning on leaving and needs a huge incentive to leave!

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like a case of the QB's height being exaggerated and the punter's height being under.  Owens is allegedly 6'5" and Kern is reported at 6'3"

Look at the eye level. Theyre all about the expected height. TyAnthony looks lighter than expected though. Or Wingo is just built like a tank.

29 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The punter making the linebacker look small is a fun surprise.

Trevor Gerland punted at Texas from ‘06-‘09. Went to my kids high school, was a 4.4 guy, all state in Football and track, finished second to Jamaal Charles at the 5A State Championship in the 110 m hurdles. Fastest punter I ever saw.

It’s nice having multifaceted players.

• Hook 'Em 1

Trevor Gerland punted at Texas from ‘06-‘09. Went to my kids high school, was a 4.4 guy, all state in Football and track, finished second to Jamaal Charles at the 5A State Championship in the 110 m hurdles. Fastest punter I ever saw.

Didn’t Nick Rose have the 40 record at his hs?

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Mack Brown was an idiot for never once running a fake with a fast as shit punter. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like a case of the QB's height being exaggerated and the punter's height being under.  Owens is allegedly 6'5" and Kern is reported at 6'3"

Owens is legitimately 6'5".

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, someguy said:

Owens is legitimately 6'5".

Yep, he was measured at 6' 5 1/8" & 239 (or 238) at the UA weigh in and measure.

This was announced within the last 3 or 4 days.

If he were 6' 1/8", he would normally be listed 6'1" or 6'2" on a team roster. At 6' 5 1/8", I don't think that he is going to push to be listed 6'6" or 6'7". He'll just keep it at 6'5". 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, PTINS said:

That is probably a little like my dad coming in second to Jack Nicklaus in golf in high school.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, someguy said:

FWIW - Texas' listed team roster is actually, surprisingly, fairly accurate for the most part.

Maybe, but it looks like to me that we are going to start hearing Wingo to linebacker.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, warhorn8 said:

Didn’t Nick Rose have the 40 record at his hs?

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Maybe if he was home schooled.

from his texas FB roster page: https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/nick-rose/5933

image.png.82cf5c9722d524a52c17568edb9bc4e3.png

went to Highland Park, class of 2012.

this seems like the kind of thing you self report/add in and nobody ever fact checks.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, PTINS said:

One of the things I like about the Aussies is that their Aussie Rules backgrounds usually mean they're big and can fuck up a returner who gets through the coverage team and thinks he's home free.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

For reference, per the 247 rankings Owens is the 5th (of 6) ranked QB participating in the AA Bowl. 

He’ll get a jump from 247. Best QB in their all star game. I get he goes from a 90 to 95.

aggy will of course that Miles O’Neill is better and faced tougher competition in NJ against future Bard College intramural all stars. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’ll get a jump from 247. Best QB in their all star game. I get he goes from a 90 to 95.

aggy will of course that Miles O’Neill is better and faced tougher competition in NJ against future Bard College intramural all stars. 

You realize a 95 is basically top 100 player in the country, territiry, right? You think they're upping him to a mid-high 4 star? 

Tell me, would you like to place a wager on this absurdity? To illustrate the ballpark, you think they're going to rank him around Dealyn Evans now. Higher than Weston Davis. 

• Hook 'Em 1