Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

37 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

and doesn't pay up on his bets

34 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

that was the reference bet paying, not monetary

are you new here?  I was correct on that bet, as always.  there was no fisting because I know what the fuck I'm talking about you halfwit fuckstick.

but I absolutely would have fisted myself.  100%

if I was wrong.  but I wasn't.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I have no problem taking a lottery ticket like Butler late, but given the current portal situation, I’d only sign 2 high school WRs per year. 

I don’t expect 2 Wingos every cycle, but maybe a Wingo type 5 star + a fast as shit slot WR would work. 

The WRs that don’t make it usually portal out and aren’t a 5-year ability. You limit your upside by forgoing high school players.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I have no problem taking a lottery ticket like Butler late, but given the current portal situation, I’d only sign 2 high school WRs per year. 

I don’t expect 2 Wingos every cycle, but maybe a Wingo type 5 star + a fast as shit slot WR would work. 

Butler isn't a lottery ticket. He's one of the best HS receiver recruits we've had under Sark. He's got a little DeSean Jackson in his build and style of play, albeit he's probably a tenth of a second slower and needs to continue to develop. Either way, I don't think he's going to be a bust.

I think the receiver numbers are so high because we've struggled to recruit Sark's type at the position. That seems to be changing with Cook, Wingo and Butler in back-to-back classes. Don't forget two of our 2023 targets are coming off injury. They are boom or bust recruits. 

We are in a unique position this year with no returning production and an experienced QB. Also, remember Bolden is a specialty piece. His style is unique as a receiver and he's also a special teams threat.

I agree the portal can help at receiver.

How many HS receivers depends on their skillset. If you're landing Dakorien Moore and Ryan Williams in every class then an average of 2.5 to 3 per year (5 or 6 every 2 years) is the number. If you're only landing one of those guys then 3.5 is closer to the number. Some of the top of the line kids will only be here 3 years. Numbers can get thin when one or two kids leave in 3 years and some of the others are busts.

As one poster mentioned, some of the HS kids left behind will transfer.

Receiver is one of the most important positions in modern football, especially if you're looking for elite speed and some length to go with the route running and ball skills.

Recruiting the Dakorien Moore and Ryan Williams types in the high school ranks while looking in the portal for the Silas Bolden and Isaiah Bond type of smaller receivers is probably the best way to go. Find the slot and unique mismatches in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

If all goes well guys like Bond won’t be here next year. So it’s important to point out to the Moore/Nibblets of the world that they’re on the same path as Arch and there’s no reason to be impatient. Work your ass off, learn/master your craft, you can probably be worked in a little this year, and be ready to ball out with Arch in 2025. 

22 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

If all goes well guys like Bond won’t be here next year. So it’s important to point out to the Moore/Nibblets of the world that they’re on the same path as Arch and there’s no reason to be impatient. Work your ass off, learn/master your craft, you can probably be worked in a little this year, and be ready to ball out with Arch in 2025. 

Yeah the coaches will likely emphasize that we're only in this situation because of Andre Coleman's incompetent WR recruiting. Because of his failures we were denied a competent group of upperclassmen WRs.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Discount Parker Livingstone at your own peril.

More than likely, he moved in to the dorms yesterday, slayed 3 or 4 sorority chicks last night while he serenaded them with the dulcet sounds of his best Alan Jackson impersonation, and proceeded to lock down a starting WR position today.

Live look at @closetojumping

IMG_3465.gif.462a0530a0bb5cb490642c2ca30b49af.gif

• Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Discount Parker Livingstone at your own peril.

More than likely, he moved in to the dorms yesterday, slayed 3 or 4 sorority chicks last night while he serenaded them with the dulcet sounds of his best Alan Jackson impersonation, and proceeded to lock down a starting WR position today.

phonto.thumb.jpeg.c62c4eff91707e6a6fd40f9a45050a88.jpeg

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

Hmm I don't 9.95 at all but did Sydir Mitchell get hit by a bus or something?  

I mean seriously some of you sound like you've caught whatever is wrong Satyanash when you go on and on about we have to get a DT and a TE in the portal...

I'm probably the biggest Sydir Mitchell fan, and he performed well when he played this year. However, we lost Sweat, Murphy and Trill Carter. I'm not dooming, but depth I would qualify is an issue. Especially when one of his issues last year was stamina and playing extended snaps. Do I expect his stamina to improve? Absolutely, but he's only one man.

4 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

On the 21-minute roundtable video that Horns247 put out several hours ago, Chip Brown claims that Dom McKinley was interested in UT after he decommited from Aggy. But Bo Davis told Sark to pass on McKinley becuz he didn't like McKinley's motor.

image.gif.6d70e15187ddfce034a6dff734ea645a.gif

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

On the 21-minute roundtable video that Horns247 put out several hours ago, Chip Brown claims that Dom McKinley was interested in UT after he decommited from Aggy. But Bo Davis told Sark to pass on McKinley becuz he didn't like McKinley's motor.

reface_1664857840309_841.gif.652138fd296b093f17f7318d6bb78805.gif

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Red Five said:

I think Aaron Bryant will play some next year.

There is a good chance that Sydir Mitchell or Bryant start next year at the nose. I cant imagine the staff asking Collins or Broughton to play the nose

8 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

I mean seriously some of you sound like you've caught whatever is wrong Satyanash when you go on and on about we have to get a DT and a TE in the portal...

We accounted for him upthread in the DT depth post. In fact he's listed first. No one is discounting him, but we need more experience.  Collins, Bledsoe and Broughton are the only returning guys with meaningful experience.  Whole new level of ballgame in the SEC week in and week out.  Adding a DT transfer is damn near imperative.  Adding Michigan to the schedule, UGA etc.. ideally we arent relying on true Freshman in the 2 deep.

8 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Just like last year. You know the team will be good if people are bitching about uncertainty at 3rd string waterboy. In January.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Whole new level of ballgame in the SEC week in and week out. 

lulz

I mean some team will probably step up but as of right now we finish with 5 straight games against teams more likely to be unranked than ranked. At least none of them are considered Top 25 in any of the early preseason lists. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean some team will probably step up but as of right now we finish with 5 straight games against teams more likely to be unranked than ranked. At least none of them are considered Top 25 in any of the early preseason lists. 

You're doing it wrong, Huck. We finish with an SEC murderer's row.  We go 1-4 in those games and it's like 5-0 in the Big XII.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

And Michigan 2024 is nowhere near Michigan 2023.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

You're doing it wrong, Huck. We finish with an SEC murderer's row.  We go 1-4 in those games and it's like 5-0 in the Big XII.

"And because, you know, we just ran out of time and if we would have scored more points that 1-4 would easily be MNC, stupid sip!" - you know

37 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

My response when aggy says Texas cannot handle the weekly grind of the SEC:

GIF by Breaking Bad

10 wins in '24 looks doable if you break down UT's schedule & compare which team will have the better roster in each game. UGA might be the only team on the '24 schedule who has as good roster or better than UT.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

You are wearing orange colored glasses if you think this close to the season isnt significantly more difficult than anything we've seen the last 10 years, ranked or not.

image.thumb.png.baa54d21a99c0cffce70b65183ff3bfb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

You are wearing orange colored glasses if you think this close to the season isnt significantly more difficult than anything we've seen the last 10 years, ranked or not.

This is true. It’s also true that you don’t  need to be a one loss team next year to make the playoffs. I’m not sure that I could see 5 SEC teams but it’s entirely possible 4 make it in.

You could drop one, maybe even two of those games (if you won all the rest) and still make the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

This is true. It’s also true that you don’t  need to be a one loss team next year to make the playoffs. I’m not sure that I could see 5 SEC teams but it’s entirely possible 4 make it in.

You could drop one, maybe even two of those games (if you won all the rest) and still make the playoffs.

Agreed.  How this came up was in regards to DT depth.  We will face considerably better OL play in the SEC, IMO, than in B12 and the need to add an experienced player at that position group with the loss of Carter to Auburn and departures of Murphy and Sweat. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

IMG_4739.jpeg

Same. We had a harder end of season schedule than that in at least 7/10 of the last decade. The perception otherwise is exactly why going secsecsec was the only move.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Florida: ass

Arkansas: ass, tough away environment though

Kentucky: mid

A&M: ass, tough away environment though

• Hook 'Em 8

The SEC is/has been a better league than the B12 top to bottom since existence.  To think otherwise is naive.  We're positioned to do well but any casual fan knows there is more NFL talent on opposing team's roster than anything we've faced in some time.  Not sure how you don't know that.  Im not saying we'll struggle, but the degree of difficulty will be greater.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

I know. Miss State wearing that SEC patch will be too much to overcome with, checks notes, top 3 roster talent in all of college football. 
it just means more (absurdity from our fanbase). 

19 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Warmed over dogshit

hanmered dogshit

medioce baby shit 

moronic dogshit 

3 point favorites in a rematch with UGA. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Warmed over dogshit

hanmered dogshit

medioce baby shit 

moronic dogshit 

3 point favorites in a rematch with UGA. 

No way Ark isnt better, KJ is gone and replaced with a Freshman AA transfer QB, he's good.  No way FL worse...they have a murderers row schedule so they will come in limping, still better than WV, TCU or Bayor...who would you rather play, TCU/WV/KU or FL?  Give me one of the hateful 8.   At TAMU will be tough.  Kentucky is a veteran team, great OL.  We'll see. 

No way Ark isnt better, KJ is gone and replaced with a Freshman AA transfer QB, he's good.  No way FL worse...they have a murderers row schedule so they will come in limping, still better than WV, TCU or Bayor...who would you rather play, TCU/WV/KU or FL?  Give me one of the hateful 8.   At TAMU will be tough.  Kentucky is a veteran team, great OL.  We'll see. 

I don't think Arky gets better by replacing KJ with a young Mountain West QB. They've lost three/four of the few decent players they had last year, taken a bunch of McJags and kept a diabetic lame duck coach. The only case for them getting better is that they lost to BYU, Aggies and Mississippi State and thus almost cannot be any worse. 

4 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

The SEC is/has been a better league than the B12 top to bottom since existence.  To think otherwise is naive.  We're positioned to do well but any casual fan knows there is more NFL talent on opposing team's roster than anything we've faced in some time.  Not sure how you don't know that.  Im not saying we'll struggle, but the degree of difficulty will be greater.

lol no. 

Arky probably won't have a coach by the time we play them, a&m is going to be complete shit this year, FL was awful this year & they have just a tough enough run that they may not have a coach by that time either, UK is the best of that bunch & they got trounced in almost all of their big games last year vs. good teams (UGA, Bama, Mizzou). 

I don't know that the last 4 games are all that different than the last 4 games from this year. KSU @TCU @ISU TTU

a&m & arky are bigger rivalries but KSU would beat all 4 of the teams we end the season with & the rest would probably be about even. Other than UGA, this conference schedule looks as manageable as 2023 was, if not more so. We didn't play a team as bad as Vandy or MSU in 2023 & we get both in 2024

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

2024 is a more difficult schedule than 2023, that's the point we're discussing.

Dude you specifically only cited the last four games, which are probably the easiest part of the schedule. It was a weird choice.

Edited by texifornia