• Jones

Non-zero chance/likely UDFA (3)

• Whittington
  • Watts
  • Robinson

UDFA candidate

• Sanborn
  • Bush

Edit to add: I won't amend the list, but Watts has gotten lots of pub on his mph clocked at the shrine bowl, so maybe he moves up to a probably. 

I’d move both you’re probably’s to definitely’s. There’s already smoke about Jones going in the third or fourth round OT is a glaring need on many teams. The thinking is there will be some reaches early, and teams that still need an OT will circle back to Jones.

I hope a smart contending team drafts J Brooks and stashes him on their roster. The Ravens would fit that definition. I’d love to see him on the Texans, but they need a RB that can play right away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d move both you’re probably’s to definitely’s. There’s already smoke about Jones going in the third or fourth round OT is a glaring need on many teams. The thinking is there will be some reaches early, and teams that still need an OT will circle back to Jones.

I hope a smart contending team drafts J Brooks and stashes him on their roster. The Ravens would fit that definition. I’d love to see him on the Texans, but they need a RB that can play right away. 

Jones will be a guard in the NFL. He is not an NFL OT and he is already working at guard at the Senior Bowl. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Jones will be a guard in the NFL. He is not an NFL OT and he is already working at guard at the Senior Bowl. 

The same people saying he's a 3rd/4th rounder are saying he can play both. He's working at guard AND tackle at the Senior Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, campcrunk said:

That would beautiful. Shades of Mack taking Traylon Sheed and Tim Cole, not because he especially wanted them. Mack just wanted to remind Sherman who drinks his milkshake

aggy living in your head rent free, causing you to take reaches that make you lose and get you fired is definitely admirable and something to emulate.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:01 PM, campcrunk said:

That would beautiful. Shades of Mack taking Traylon Sheed and Tim Cole, not because he especially wanted them. Mack just wanted to remind Sherman who drinks his milkshake

We mostly took Tim Cole to get his teammate at Brenham, a certain Malcom Brown. Everything else was secondary.

• Hook 'Em 5

18 hours ago, satyanash said:

BREAKING: Texas offers highest among largest population centers in Texas. More at the 10.

Why are they putting a bunch of small towns on that map? The only reason people know about Dalhart is that you’ve *almost* made it out of the state.

• Haha 8

On 2/4/2024 at 8:12 AM, derp said:

BREAKING: Texas offers highest among largest population centers in Texas. More at the 10.

Why are they putting a bunch of small towns on that map? The only reason people know about Dalhart is that you’ve *almost* made it out of the state.

Need Ozona and Menard on there to fill in the blank space below San Angelo as well as Aspermont in the blank area between Abilene and Vernon.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:21 PM, Vermin said:

aggy living in your head rent free, causing you to take reaches that make you lose and get you fired is definitely admirable and something to emulate.

I get it. I really do. Both players NEVER should have been close enough to a UT scholarship offer to even smell it. Not even in the darkest days of Mackovich, Charlie, and even Ed Price's tenures). But Shead in particular was well thought of at the time time and was said to Sherman's top ranked RB (which says a LOT more about Sherman than it does about Shead or even Mack). Pretty sure DCTF even did an article comparing to AD Peterson at one point (OOPS!). I seem to recall this is as an "I've got an extra spot. I'm going to use to take your top guy just because fuck you, that's why.''

And, as Satya pointed out, out Cole was worth each every penny of his scholarship money just to get Malcom Brown (who was also considered an "Aggie lock by Liucci and the TexAgs "brain" trust 😂). If I'm being totally honest, I might take 5 Tim Coles to get one Malcom Brown. He was that good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, campcrunk said:

I get it. I really do. Both players NEVER should have been close enough to a UT scholarship offer to even smell it. Not even in the darkest days of Mackovich, Charlie, and even Ed Price's tenures). But Shead in particular was well thought of at the time time and was said to Sherman's top ranked RB (which says a LOT more about Sherman than it does about Shead or even Mack). Pretty sure DCTF even did an article comparing to AD Peterson at one point (OOPS!). I seem to recall this is as an "I've got an extra spot. I'm going to use to take your top guy just because fuck you, that's why.''

And, as Satya pointed out, out Cole was worth each every penny of his scholarship money just to get Malcom Brown (who was also considered an "Aggie lock by Liucci and the TexAgs "brain" trust 😂). If I'm being totally honest, I might take 5 Tim Coles to get one Malcom Brown. He was that good. 

Shead was a classic small school standout. He dominated in 2A, but there were question about whether that would translate against better competition. Obviously, it didn't.

He was #2 on the all-time rushing yardage list (until Jonathan Gray eclipsed him), and most (all?) of the major recruiting services had him as a top 20 national RB.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I heard it was $4 million.

Pffft... I done heard it was $10 million if'n it were a nickel. I got it straight from my big money Sip booster buddy so you KNOW it's the truth

Edited by campcrunk

any of the $9.95ers doing the behind the scenes write ups on this class? I looked forward to reading those in the past

think the all time peak was when EJ was covering the Noah Cain..crying moments before announcing for psu

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

any of the $9.95ers doing the behind the scenes write ups on this class? I looked forward to reading those in the past

think the all time peak was when EJ was covering the Noah Cain..crying moments before announcing for psu

On Coffee and Football, Burton promised he and Hamilton were going to post double digit stories today regarding recruiting, recapping the early period, transfers, etc. immamac posted links to OTF on all the forum pages.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Here's CJ Vogel's very brief take on the class: https://ontexasfootball.com/news/my-personal-rankings-of-the-2024-class-r160/

Not copy pasting because I'd like for OTF to get the clicks. But having Jerrick Gibson and Wardell Mack in Tier III seems CRAZY to me. So does having Melvin Hills (and I am admittedly SUPER high on this kid's game and motor and probably biased) and Jordan Washington in Tier IV seems too low to me too. 

• Hook 'Em 9

Gerry:

Texas three straight top 6 ranked classes: By the numbers (7:27 a.m. CST)

https://ontexasfootball.com/news/texas-three-straight-top-6-ranked-classes-by-the-numbers-727-am-cst-r159/

Gerry's Signing Day post:

https://ontexasfootball.com/news/signing-day-ontexasfootball-2024-class-rankings-wednesday-544-am-cst-r158/

in this thread, Gerry had this to say when asked about Alex Foster

Texas wanted more of bigger body and experienced player vs guy to develop 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

And here's Bobby's first write up. I haven't had time to read it but wanted to pass it along: https://ontexasfootball.com/news/grading-the-class-using-the-pipeline-methodology-r161/

from this article:

I don't understand how Clark wasn't rated higher by national experts. Actually, I do have an inkling about it, I just don't agree with their reasoning

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

from this article:

I caught that too and was curious about Bobby saying "[a]ctually, I do have an inkling about it, I just don't agree with their reasoning." Now I'm curious about why the national guys dinged him. Doesn't seem like it's size - 5'11" and 195 is great for an 18 year-old tailback. Is it his level of competition? Long speed, maybe (I don't recall anything about how fast he is - will re-watch his HUDL shortly but it sounds like he has plenty of speed)? Injury concerns? That absolutely idiotic "Charlie Strong and Tom Herman didn't really develop guys well so we think Sark won't either" stereotype (despite a LOT of evidence to the contrary) that's been mentioned here a lot? 

Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated

54 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I caught that too and was curious about Bobby saying "[a]ctually, I do have an inkling about it, I just don't agree with their reasoning." Now I'm curious about why the national guys dinged him. Doesn't seem like it's size - 5'11" and 195 is great for an 18 year-old tailback. Is it his level of competition? Long speed, maybe (I don't recall anything about how fast he is - will re-watch his HUDL shortly but it sounds like he has plenty of speed)? Injury concerns? That absolutely idiotic "Charlie Strong and Tom Herman didn't really develop guys well so we think Sark won't either" stereotype (despite a LOT of evidence to the contrary) that's been mentioned here a lot? 

Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated

i believe it has been hinted at pretty heavily that Texas folks are getting bumped down due to how poorly Texas has developed in recent years, i assume that's what this is related to.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

i believe it has been hinted at pretty heavily that Texas folks are getting bumped down due to how poorly Texas has developed in recent years, i assume that's what this is related to.

I asked Bobby about this on the OTF site. He said that it used to be the case, but he didn't think it was still happening for the '24 class. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Clark's ranking has been pretty consistent. They're alluding to something else - probably long speed and/or level of competition. 

I’d imagine it’s the level of competition. It’s the sole thing Bijan was dinged on during his recruitment. 

I think Bijan is the lazy comparison for Clark. Both from Arizona, the jump cuts, but Clark’s lower body is a bit thicker. I’ll go out on a limb and say he weighed more than Bijan when he enrolled at Texas. 

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Level of competition is a very valid point when it’s Traylon Shead or Jalin Conyers putting up huge numbers running in straight lines against 2A kids and then clocking 12 seconds plus in the 100m during track season.

When you see a dude making jump cuts that look like CGI effects, it doesn’t really matter what the competition is.

For running backs or WRs, you can look at track times to help inform your decisions. But what about somebody like Leonard Davis? Sometimes it's impossible to know whether or not a 2A star is going to pan out or not.

8 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

For running backs or WRs, you can look at track times to help inform your decisions. But what about somebody like Leonard Davis? Sometimes it's impossible to know whether or not a 2A star is going to pan out or not.

Big Leonard broke my friend Cristina's couch by simply sitting in it back in college /csb

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m pretty sure watching Leonard Davis against 1A kids must have been like a montage of the fatality sequences from Mortal Kombat.  “Yeah, but could he remove a guy’s spine and floss his teeth with it against 5A competition?  I need to see him at a camp.”

IIRC, they moved him to Middle Linebacker because every team ran every play to the opposite side he lined up on at DL.  And he had an 81 yard pick-six.

• Hook 'Em 1