Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

100% agree be patient, of the team in top 10, many will have 2-5 de-commits also.  I would prefer the staff do what they do. Set up visits in July, watch summer practices, then push in July to December. If we are gonna win the big 12, go 10-2 or 11-1 then we want a few spots for de-commits in December/Jan. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

As Lebron, wade and Bosh said “not 1, not 2, not 3, maybe ten!!!”

image.thumb.png.b84e5ea02b1ab1a6c95469a84faea97d.png

"We're way behind aren't we?"

It is funny watching the occasional non-recruitnik look at the rankings, look at the complete lack of panic on the boards, and wonder what on earth is happening.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It is funny watching the occasional non-recruitnik look at the rankings, look at the complete lack of panic on the boards, and wonder what on earth is happening.

What's funny is that guy started a site with alleged insider "mcphaul."  Not sure if site was still around but "mcphaul" basically posted shit from IT as his own.  

So who do you guys think the “10”ish silents are?  My guesses…

-  Jerrick Gibson

-  Daniel Cruz

-  Alex January

-  Jordan Johnson- Rubell

-  Kobe Black

-  Tyanthony Smith?

-   Parker Livingstone? 

Those are some big time talents on there to start a class.  We really need to make an in with that DL at oak ridge.  Jonah whatever his name is.  Gerry is always talking about how that kid has 1st round talent written on him.  Dude is visiting Georgia I believe.  Need to get him and Collins in this class.  This class needs elite DL to truly compete with UGA, BAMA, LSU etc.  The teams that get the best DL talent are generally winning titles outside of aggy and that  dumpster coaching staff.  Sark has done a fine job of recruiting and bringing in elite talent at most positions but he’s gotta start landing these big time DL.

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So who do you guys think the “10”ish silents are?  My guesses…

-  Jerrick Gibson

-  Daniel Cruz

-  Alex January

-  Jordan Johnson- Rubell

-  Kobe Black

-  Tyanthony Smith?

-   Parker Livingstone? 

Those are some big time talents on there to start a class.  We really need to make an in with that DL at oak ridge.  Jonah whatever his name is.  Gerry is always talking about how that kid has 1st round talent written on him.  Dude is visiting Georgia I believe.  Need to get him and Collins in this class.  This class needs elite DL to truly compete with UGA, BAMA, LSU etc.  The teams that get the best DL talent are generally winning titles outside of aggy and that  dumpster coaching staff.  Sark has done a fine job of recruiting and bringing in elite talent at most positions but he’s gotta start landing these big time DL.

Hate to say it, but we are probably looking at a DL haul of January, the Louisiana kid Hills, and some combination of the IMG kid/FL DT Robinson/the Utah commit/Terrence Hibbler.  All of those guys are high 3*/low 4*.  Who knows?  Maybe Bo and Sark think those guys are better than the rankings.

It doesn't feel like we are in the top groups for the high ranked DL, yet aggy and OU continue to get them on campus.

I think we are going to land a real good back seven group in this class and on the offensive side all the way around as well.

Think on your silent list could add Bridges and Corian.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

Sir, that's not a nice thing to say about BurntOrange&White

• Haha 6

Percentages on offensive targets from IT

Spoiler

Percentages are back by popular demand! Actually, I don’t know if anyone was asking for them but we’ll give them to you anyway.

Today we’ll take a look to see where Inside Texas’ cadre of recruiting writers believes Texas sits with its top offensive targets. Tomorrow we’ll tackle their defensive counterparts.

Jerrick Gibson, RB, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy 

Eric: 80%. I would not be surprised to learn Tashard Choice has felt like he would land Gibson for over a year now.

Justin: 85%. Choice might be running this recruitment like CJ Baxter. 

Gerry: 75%. Gibson has been to Miami twice this spring. It was Miami that ended up being the real competition for Cedric Baxter Jr. as well. 

Christian Clark, RB, Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe 

Eric: 65%. If the official visit goes as well as the unofficial visit earlier in the Spring I’ll bump this up.

Justin: 70%. 

Gerry: 65%. USC, Oregon, and Georgia is the competition. Florida commit Chauncey Bowens scheduling a June 9-11 OV to Georgia is impactful here. 

Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton 

Eric: 60%. Joey McGuire has replaced Gary Patterson as the biggest in-state Big 12 recruiting thorn in UT’s side, but will it be enough to coax one of the top players in the country to smell Lubbock for the next 3-4 years?

Justin: 55%. Texas Tech is 45%. 

Gerry: 51%. Lee Corso has something to say about this recruitment. 

Bryant Wesco, WR, Midlothian (Texas) 

Eric: 15%. Texas just can’t get traction here. Odd, he’s way up the big board.

Justin: 25%. Playing catch-up to LSU, TCU 

Gerry: 20%. If he sets foot on campus in Austin this summer I’ll revisit. 

Jordan Anderson, WR, Newport Beach (Calif.) Newport Harbor 

Eric: 30%. Not a high percentage but still well worth watching given his fit and ability to play early.

Justin: 35%. If/when he takes his official visit, we’ll know if UT can flip the Pac Duck. 

Gerry: 20%. Can’t think of a better place for a scavenger hunt than Newport Beach. 

Aeryn Hampton, WR, Daingerfield (Texas) 

Eric: 75%. Word is he’s maturing and that has Texas keeping a close eye.

Justin: 80%. 

Gerry: 60%.

Jelani Watkins, WR, Houston (Texas) Klein Forest

Eric: 15%. Too late to the party for Texas.

Justin: 25%.

Gerry: 10%. LSU’s to lose, or not push. Texas A&M is second. Same scenario. 

Freddie Dubose, WR, Schertz (Texas) Smithson Valley

Eric: 20%. I just don’t know if they’re going to push hard enough.

Justin: 40%. All depends where he’s at in the receiver pecking order. 

Gerry: 25%. More than doubles if Texas truly pushes. 

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

Eric: 80%. I think they will push hard enough here.

Justin: 75%. 

Gerry: 70%. Texas’ to lose. 

Ryner Swanson, TE, Laguna Beach (Calif.) 

Eric: 40%. The dude clearly likes Texas. If he wasn’t LDS I’d probably have an RPM in for UT, but that’s a major consideration.

Justin: 20%. If Texas can thwart BYU, Oregon, these numbers go up. 

Gerry: 33%. Texas, Oregon, or BYU. 

Jordan Washington, TE, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek 

Eric: 60%. His only other official visit is Utah at this point but he’ll probably take one to A&M. Utah has a good story to sell, but it’s not Texas.

Justin: 65%. 

Gerry: 70%. Texas leads large, but Texas A&M offered last week. 

Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Eric: 20%.

Justin: 30%. Need to get him back on campus for this to improve. 

Gerry: 35%. If the fall or December timeline remains, Texas will get an OV.

Daniel Calhoun, OL, Roswell (Ga.) Walton

Eric: 40%. Kyle Flood has done well to put Texas ahead of Alabama, but taking out the instate Bulldogs is going to be difficult.

Justin: 25%. Texas is in it, but Georgia might be too tough. 

Gerry: 48%. Georgia vs. Texas here in the final with Alabama and Tennessee fighting hard. 

Michael Uini, OL, Copperas Cove (Texas) 

Eric: 25%.

Justin: 30%. These increase if/when Uini sets an official visit. 

Gerry: 15%. Kyle Flood has never signed an OL that didn’t officially visit. Uini not scheduling a June OV to date with Texas makes this one tough with all the lines in the water. 

Nyier Daniels, OL, Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic 

Eric: 60%.

Justin: 45%. Flood loves the Jersey Shore.

Gerry: 60%. Texas leads FSU and Georgia headed into June OV’s. 

Ory Williams, OL, San Marcos (Texas) 

Eric: 45%. We had him on commit watch at one point but LSU is not making this easy. Texas needs an excellent official visit. Is is telling Michael Uini doesn’t have an official visit set up? Maybe so.

Justin: 50%. LSU might be the other 50%. 

Gerry: 35%. LSU leads and Texas A&M is working the Rueben Owens family angle. 

DeAndre Carter, IOL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei 

Eric: 30%. They like Texas but enough to bypass USC? I don’t think so.

Justin: 35%

Gerry: 25%. Fall OV may happen, if he doesn’t early verbal to USC. 

Makai Saina, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Martin 

Eric: 55%.

Justin: 55%. 

Gerry: 60%. Mom likes Kyle Flood. Texas, USC or Texas A&M. Father living back in Texas also helps in-state schools.

Daniel Cruz, IOL, Richland (Texas) North Richland Hills 

Eric: 75%. Flood’s effort should be rewarded with a commitment.

Justin: 70%. Texas has set the pace here. 

Gerry: 75%. Texas has been all in longer than anyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Percentages on defensive targets from IT

Spoiler

Texas really needs to put together a strong defensive class, particularly up front on the defensive line. The SEC isn’t forgiving for teams who can’t hold their own up front and Texas is set to lose some quality and physically mature defensive linemen over the next two seasons.

With June official visits beginning shortly, let’s take a look at how Inside Texas currently views the percentages for landing the main targets.

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) 

Eric: 60%. Why? Because Texas has to win it and I think the holistic selling point of Texas will carry the day. I do have concerns over LSU, especially given my expectation they’ll win the SEC West.

Justin: 51%. If he waits until December. If Texas wins the Big 12. If the defense keeps improving. Lot is ifs, but doable. 

Gerry: 50%. LSU or Texas, Texas or LSU. LSU is his personal favorite. Texas has made up ground. Georgia and Florida also likely June OV’s. 

Jordan Ross, EDGE, Birmingham (Ala.) Vestavia Hills 

Eric: 15%. Let’s see how his official visit goes.

Justin: 15%. 

Gerry: 20%. He’s leaving the home state, as of today. Tennessee has some strong hooks unless Georgia says you aren’t getting him. Florida all in. 

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) 

Eric: 65%. I think it’s a RRS battle and Texas will make more sense from a scheme and playing opportunity standpoint. Jeff Choate getting more involved helps UT.

Justin: 60%. Texas probably leads, but watch Oklahoma and Texas A&M. USC too. 

Gerry: 60%. Placing percentages on a Umeozulu recruitment is always interesting. 

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana 

Eric: 25%. In talking with his father I didn’t get the feeling he’s an LSU lock, but LSU has a good pitch and is right down the street. They’re also being extremely aggressive. Recruit him through the whistle.

Justin: 15%. LSU until it’s not LSU. 

Gerry: 25%. Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M are all in this more than many think. 

Joseph Jonah-Ajonye, DL, Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge 

Eric: 25%. If we’re going to see a bounce in this recruitment it’ll happen in the coming weeks. Texas needs an unofficial visit that leads to an official visit.

Justin: 25%. Texas is trying to get any sort of traction here. 

Gerry: 20%. If Texas doesn’t get the mom on campus in June, next man up. Georgia official visit June 23-25 will likely crush Oklahoma fans hopes. 

Nigel Smith, DL, Melissa (Texas) 

Eric: 40%. We’ll see if Texas picks up the slack in this recruitment, and by “Texas” I mean Pete Kwiatkowski. If Texas goes all in I think this recruitment can be won.

Justin: 15%. There’s some stuff to unpack and rearrange here. The longer he’s uncommitted, the better Texas could look. 

Gerry: 25%. But going up slowly. 

Terrence Hibbler, DL, Lexington (Miss.) Holmes County Central 

Eric: 40%. One of my favorite iDL prospects Bo Davis is on. I hope Alabama doesn’t like him as much as I do.

Justin: 50%. I strangely feel good here. 

Gerry: 45%. Alabama or Texas is the thought now. But Mississippi State won’t go quietly. An Alabama push June 2-4 could make this one tough. 

D’antre Robinson, DL, Orlando (Fla.) Jones 

Eric: 40%. Maybe the second most talented iDL target after McKinley. That’ll make getting him out of Florida more difficult. I think the staff is going to dial up the heat.

Justin: 50%. The Horns have to hold off the in-state powers. 

Gerry: 45%. A motivated Texas can win this one.

TJ Lindsey, DL, Bryant (Ark.) 

Eric: 30%. I just talked to him and have no idea where he’s going to end up. There’s a good chance he takes his decision into the season which could help Texas as the coaches gain clarity with others.

Justin: 25%. 

Gerry: 30%. Tough read recruitment. Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida State, and Texas could all win out.

Melvin Hills, DL, Lafayette (La.) Lafayette Christian Academy 

Eric: 30%. I’m just not sure Bo Davis will have the gas pedal to go all in.

Justin: 35%. This goes way up if they push. He wants out of Louisiana. 

Gerry: 45%. Ole Miss is pushing hard. He prefers Texas with the same push. Wanted LSU when the process began, but that’s not likely. 

Alex January, DL, Duncanville (Texas) 

Eric: 85%. This should be easy. Big kid who can move his feet. Take and develop.

Justin: 80%. The only way this isn’t Texas is if January takes his time and other guys want in.

Gerry: 90%. Truly Texas’ to lose. 

Jayden Jackson, DL, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy 

Eric: 50%. Texas made up a lot of ground on his recent visit. Another visit like that could put Texas in the pole position.

Justin: 45%. Ohio State is the team to beat. 

Gerry: 48%. Ohio State and Texas top two beginning June visits. Miami is contending third. 

Isaia Faga, DL, Phenix City (Ala.) Central – Utah commit  

Eric: 30%. Love the kid’s tape but I’m not sure he has the size they’re wanting in the class even if he does de-commit.

Justin: 35%. If he de-commits from Utah, Texas looks great. Big if. 

Gerry: 75% if he de-commits. College coaches have been waiting on that for three months. Family ties are strong with the Utes. 

Justin Williams, LB, Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge 

Eric: 20%. Play the long game even if he commits elsewhere.

Justin: 25%. If they get him on campus, call me. 

Gerry: 20%. Georgia or Oregon. Everyone else chasing from a few car lengths behind with clunky transmssions.

Tyanthony Smith, LB, Jasper (Texas) 

Eric: 75%. The combination of Choate and the linebacker room recruiting Smith will be enough to get the commitment, imo.

Justin: 65%. Texas has been the consistent program since Day 1. 

Gerry: 66%. Just to have one percentage higher than Wells. 

Montay Weeden, LB, Silver Spring (MD) St. John’s 

Eric: 20%.

Justin: 33%. 

Gerry: 25%. Would have to see a true push here. If that happens, Texas’ to lose. 

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally

Eric: 75%. Texas is laser focused here and will be able to sell early playing time regardless of how the room appears.

Justin: 70%. He’s been the priority at corner since February. 

Gerry: 75%. Texas’ 5-star to lose. 

Selman Bridges, CB, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton 

Eric: 65%. He seems to profile to Texas and also fits their recruiting template for defensive backs.

Justin: 65%. Texas could really separate here with a fantastic OV. 

Gerry: 60%. So much in defensive back recruiting comes down to Gipson’s decision, and how the numbers could affect others. 

Wardell Mack, CB, Marrero (La.) John Ehret

Eric: 40%. I think Texas is headed for bridesmaid status.

Justin: 20%. 

Gerry: 35%. Texas over Florida to get to the finale vs. LSU. 

Eli Bowen, CB, Denton (Texas) Guyer

Eric: 40%.

Justin: 45%. This is a recruitment we’re watching closely. Moving parts, etc. 

Gerry: 35%. Very good player, but doesn’t fit the ideal size Texas is looking for. We shall see if they truly push in June. 

Corian Gipson, CB/DB, Lancaster (Texas) 

Eric: 40%. I expect Texas to stay on him regardless of what he decides. If he picks Clemson will he truly follow through? I know some would be skeptical of that. Here’s to a great birthday party on his official visit.

Justin: 40%. Clemson gets the other 60%. 

Gerry: 40%. Texas is slipping to the dream school. Big question now is does Gipson follow through on the June official visit schedule. 

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy 

Eric: 75%. I have an RPM pick in for him. Key was understanding if he’s a priority and he certainly is.

Justin: 75%. Texas has prioritized the Fort Worth native. 

Gerry: 70%. Alabama not being on OV list is key. Texas’ to lose. 

Myles Davis, S, Converse (Texas) Judson 

Eric: 30%. They like him for sure, but they don’t like loading up on safety-only players.

Justin: 40%. Texas A&M and USC look good here as his UT official visit approaches in June. 

Gerry: 33%. See who Texas prioritizes beginning the weekend of June 16. 

Joshua Lair, S, Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Marshall 

Eric: 25%.

Justin: 30%. All depends if Texas pushes this summer. 

Gerry: 33%. See above.

Braylon Conley, S, Humble (Texas) Atascocita 

Eric: 25%. Numbers make this one hard to predict. Texas does like him quite a bit.

Justin: 25%. If Texas pushes, this number increases. 

Gerry: 20%. Texas was by in May. We shall see if Texas tries to push. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It feels like a long shot but I really want this dude. 

It doesn't seem like it should be. USC has a young, talented TE group so that probably isn't an option. Oregon's TEs suck but their coach is Drew Mehringer. Utah, Washington, and BYU are all pretty good options for him and are easy trips to Cali. Sarkisian is not mormon but he obviously has a pretty strong resume coaching LDS players. We offer top tier football and NIL. But, I assume he is going on a mission before he plays.

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Not sure about his experience coaching LDS players, but attending college and playing football at BYU would probably impart some wisdom and experience in cultivating relationships with Mormons. 

Especially playing for and then later coaching under Norm Chow who has plenty of experience in that regard.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

June should be a very exciting month, if the 10 silents are correct.

The percentages didn't line up real well with the silents.

Livingstone, Gibson, Black, Bridges, Cruz, Rubell, Clark, Hampton (?), January (?), Hudson (?), Saina (?), Washington (?), the OL out of the NE (?). I don't know who the 10 are.

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Livingstone, Gibson, Black, Bridges, Cruz, Rubell, Clark, Hampton (?), January (?), Hudson (?), Saina (?), Washington (?), the OL out of the NE (?). I don't know who the 10 are.

I think the way the Smith recruitment changed seemingly overnight likely indicates he could be another one.

• Hook 'Em 3

Forgive me, because I only look at this thread occasionally, so this may have already been covered-

It seems like the second recruiting channel (portal) has increased in importance enough (compared to HS) that it has to be part of the planning of the class (even if you don’t know who will be in the portal, you know that there will be guys in the portal). 

If a school like UT has good recruiting “juice” with HSers and with portal transfers, shouldn’t that affect how it approaches HS recruiting? We are used to approximately 25 in a class, with as many top rated guys as possible, and then filled out with potential. 

If you have portal “juice”, why would a school take high 3 stars (or even low 4 stars)? If they have (in the staff’s estimation) less than 50% chance of panning out, why not save those slots for portal transfers (where you have a better idea of their chance of playing for you)?

Ten years ago, you took all those guys because that was the only source of players. Now, it isn’t. Should we expect smaller, more discerning classes going forward?

(Side note- Ole Miss looks to be an example of a program that realizes it has more portal juice than HS juice, and has adapted its recruiting strategy accordingly.)

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

June should be a very exciting month, if the 10 silents are correct.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I think the way the Smith recruitment changed seemingly overnight likely indicates he could be another one.

There aren't "10 silents" and whichever $9.95er put that out there is an imbecile. There will be at least 10 public commitments over the next two months, though. There is a ton of confidence around the June visits and Texas under Seven Loss Steve has handled those weekends very well.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Forgive me, because I only look at this thread occasionally, so this may have already been covered-

It seems like the second recruiting channel (portal) has increased in importance enough (compared to HS) that it has to be part of the planning of the class (even if you don’t know who will be in the portal, you know that there will be guys in the portal). 

If a school like UT has good recruiting “juice” with HSers and with portal transfers, shouldn’t that affect how it approaches HS recruiting? We are used to approximately 25 in a class, with as many top rated guys as possible, and then filled out with potential. 

If you have portal “juice”, why would a school take high 3 stars (or even low 4 stars)? If they have (in the staff’s estimation) less than 50% chance of panning out, why not save those slots for portal transfers (where you have a better idea of their chance of playing for you)?

Ten years ago, you took all those guys because that was the only source of players. Now, it isn’t. Should we expect smaller, more discerning classes going forward?

(Side note- Ole Miss looks to be an example of a program that realizes it has more portal juice than HS juice, and has adapted its recruiting strategy accordingly.)

Like "juice",  the situation is fluid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

The portal and NIL guarantees that players will be churned. I think all the portal should do for a school is to keep schools from reaching down below their second tier wish list. A school like Texas will still take a three star if the coaches think he is going to be a player. USC thinks differently, but I think they will have problems building a complete roster because of their lack of attention to recruiting high school kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

The portal is much more important to roster construction in basketball.  You can rebuild your starting lineup with it.  In football, it's a great way to fill holes, but buying a new defense or something like that isn't feasible.  It's great for when you need a starter at a specific position though.

Edited by kevwun

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The portal is much more important to roster construction in basketball.  You can rebuild your starting lineup with it.  In football, it's a great way to fill holes, but buying a new defense or something like that isn't feasible.

More importantly, if your roster is missing defensive ends and linemen, those kids aren't going to be available in the portal and tampering them to come will only fill some of the holes in the lineup and will be very expensive. Plus, you are assured of having no depth so if any of your starters get injured, you are screwed. The portal will always be a short-term and limited fix.

Edited by Bevo

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls