Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Kind of glad OU caught the defense unprepared for some Wildcat looks. Texas will see some more running QBs, who will do similar things in the normal offense. OU exposed some weakness on the edges, that forced Texas to adjust. Another excellent game from the interior DL. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, pops said:

I still think Patterson is an unbelievable asset and pk is lucky as fuck to have him on staff

No question, but both PK and Choate have both shown that they were solid hires. I cant remember the last time we had consistent and above average LB play.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:38 AM, LTtxfan said:

Curious... what will be the strategies for blOUs offense vs Horns defense ??

Here are a few possibilities...

• blOU will attempt to take advantage of our LBs in pass coverage
  • blOU will try to wear down Horns interior DL during 1st half by running a lot of wide plays (runs & passes) and using tempo
  • Fatigue of the UT defense is part of the formula to beat Texas in 4th qtr
  • Big key is will blOU offense be able to sustain long drives like utsa & tech did
  • If healthy, Mims (WR) is a bad matchup for Jamison
  • Trick plays will be used by blOU to take advantage of UT's overly aggressive LBs and DBs
  • Get ahead or stay close and hope Texas self-destructs late
  • As always, O-line will hold like MFrs, and turnovers will probably be big
  • Penalties... Texas defense likes to do dumb shit like being offsides so try to take advantage of their lack of discipline

Oklahoma has good special teams, so kick and punt coverages may be important factors too.

Hope officiating doesn't screw things up for Texas like they did last year.

Thoughts???

Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

• Haha 1

Some of you guys and your confirmation bias are insane. The reality is, outside of 4th down individual failures on the road at Tech, this defense has been solid all season. We did what we should have done to OU given their QB situation. 

This defense is actually getting better too. Big tests will be in Stillwater and in Lawrence if Daniels is playing. I think our guys will be ready.

TCU looks salty right now as well, thankfully we get them in Austin and that's a GP revenge game.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Kind of glad OU caught the defense unprepared for some Wildcat looks. Texas will see some more running QBs, who will do similar things in the normal offense. OU exposed some weakness on the edges, that forced Texas to adjust. Another excellent game from the interior DL. 

If we had one great edge or two just average edge players our defense would be pretty legit, if we ever get a LB or Safety who can be a leader and set the tone our defense will be filthy. This fire PK noise should quiet down now, I hope, after seeing improvement week to week while still having holes in the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Shutdown of Bama:  man you can see the GP effect

loss to Tech:   Go back to Pullman PK!!

Shutout ou: so glad we got GP

It's so fucking stupid.

If only we could get patterson to help out every week!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, WBT said:

It's so fucking stupid.

If only we could get patterson to help out every week!

Yep. Motherfucker was trying out for American idol during tech week obviously 

took the d 8 plays to adjust to Willis.  Maybe pk ain’t a dumbass?

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Updated rankings on yards allowed and points in all of FBS.

Points Allowed - #23 giving up 17.8 points per game.

Total Yards Allowed - #35 giving up 338.2 yards per game.

Rushing Yards Allowed - #43 giving up 126.2 yards per game.

Passing Yards Allowed - #50 giving up 21e yards per game.

16 hours ago, pops said:

I still think Patterson is an unbelievable asset and pk is lucky as fuck to have him on staff

During games, Patterson ain’t doing much. Didn’t see him talking to any coaches or players for almost the entire game. Maybe he’s sticking his nose in at halftime in the locker room, but in-game adjustments and calls certainly aren’t coming from him. Not doubting he is contributing during the week and is an asset, but let’s give credit to the actual dudes on the headsets.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

During games, Patterson ain’t doing much. Didn’t see him talking to any coaches or players for almost the entire game. Maybe he’s sticking his nose in at halftime in the locker room, but in-game adjustments and calls certainly aren’t coming from him. Not doubting he is contributing during the week and is an asset, but let’s give credit to the actual dudes on the headsets.

Patterson is incredible at film breakdown and pregame prep. Yes he’s not coaching on game day but it’s foolish to pretend that his prep and concepts aren’t a big difference maker 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Patterson is incredible at film breakdown and pregame prep. Yes he’s not coaching on game day but it’s foolish to pretend that his prep and concepts aren’t a big difference maker 

Who is making in game adjustments then if he’s not talking to anyone? Sure appears our staff adjusted to the wildcat. His initial plan or inputs are great but you have to credit PK and staff for adjustments. 

Having a guy who just watches the film while our staff coaches is a great setup. Credit all of them 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/5/2022 at 6:38 AM, LTtxfan said:

Curious... what will be the strategies for blOUs offense vs Horns defense ??

Here are a few possibilities...

• blOU will attempt to take advantage of our LBs in pass coverage
  • blOU will try to wear down Horns interior DL during 1st half by running a lot of wide plays (runs & passes) and using tempo
  • Fatigue of the UT defense is part of the formula to beat Texas in 4th qtr
  • Big key is will blOU offense be able to sustain long drives like utsa & tech did
  • If healthy, Mims (WR) is a bad matchup for Jamison
  • Trick plays will be used by blOU to take advantage of UT's overly aggressive LBs and DBs
  • Get ahead or stay close and hope Texas self-destructs late
  • As always, O-line will hold like MFrs, and turnovers will probably be big
  • Penalties... Texas defense likes to do dumb shit like being offsides so try to take advantage of their lack of discipline

Oklahoma has good special teams, so kick and punt coverages may be important factors too.

Hope officiating doesn't screw things up for Texas like they did last year.

Thoughts???

My thoughts?

0u sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who is making in game adjustments then if he’s not talking to anyone? Sure appears our staff adjusted to the wildcat 

I’m sure most competent staffs can sit down for 20 minutes during halftime and cobble together the basic strategies required to shut down a wildcat offense with no ability to complete a forward pass. 

We didn’t look like we anticipated wildcat well which is pretty interesting given that we featured it ourselves when QE went down, and it took us 2 quarters to decide that playing 2 high coverage and honest fronts against it was stupid.  We shut it down once it was decide that their RB’s weren’t in fact going to slice and dice our secondary through the air. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who is making in game adjustments then if he’s not talking to anyone? Sure appears our staff adjusted to the wildcat. His initial plan or inputs are great but you have to credit PK and staff for adjustments. 

Having a guy who just watches the film while our staff coaches is a great setup. Credit all of them 

Credit to them for adjusting although adjusting to the wildcat when they have no QB isn’t exactly rocket surgery.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’m sure most competent staffs can sit down for 20 minutes during halftime and cobble together the basic strategies required to shut down a wildcat offense with no ability to complete a forward pass. 

We didn’t look like we anticipated wildcat well which is pretty interesting given that we featured it ourselves when QE went down, and it took us 2 quarters to decide that playing 2 high coverage and honest fronts against it was stupid.  We shut it down once it was decide that their RB’s weren’t in fact going to slice and dice our secondary through the air. 

This right here.  I sat in the stadium after the first series where they shifted 11 out wide and wondered why in the hell we were still in 2 high shell with three man line.  I was ten beers in and knew that was the wrong call.  I think they overthink things sometimes.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheAuditor said:

This right here.  I sat in the stadium after the first series where they shifted 11 out wide and wondered why in the hell we were still in 2 high shell with three man line.  I was ten beers in and knew that was the wrong call.  I think they overthink things sometimes.  

It seems it’s PK’s default setting when something unexpected shows up. 

I actually don’t fault him much for that. We see it all of the time when a semi-competent back up QB enters the game and the DC doesn’t have a cheat sheet for tendencies and strengths/weaknesses. 

I wasn’t impressed that the concept surprised us for two quarters. But that’s a nit for another day much like us not being ready for a team to attempt a fourth down conversion against us even if they were all tricky and didn’t do it out of a conventional offensive formation (fake FG). 

I shat on PK quite a bit.  Here to come and give him his props.  Outside of the tech half, this defense has played very well.  Hell even in the times we looked back, we were constantly getting teams into 4th down but could make the big stops.  Seems that now they are finding their groove in this system and trusting their coaching.  The dude clearly has a long record of success and putting players in the league.  Hoping he does the same here and is getting comfortable within this conference, his position coaches, and his players. We held Bryce Young and Bama to 20 points.  When was the last time a defense did that?

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I shat on PK quite a bit.  Here to come and give him his props.  Outside of the tech half, this defense has played very well.  Hell even in the times we looked back, we were constantly getting teams into 4th down but could make the big stops.  Seems that now they are finding their groove in this system and trusting their coaching.  The dude clearly has a long record of success and putting players in the league.  Hoping he does the same here and is getting comfortable within this conference, his position coaches, and his players. We held Bryce Young and Bama to 20 points.  When was the last time a defense did that?

aggy held them to 24 last night.  Oh yeah, not exactly Bryce...

34 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

34 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Credit to them for adjusting although adjusting to the wildcat when they have no QB isn’t exactly rocket surgery.

Yeah, I’d say getting surprised by the wildcat/playing it with light boxes in 2 high was pretty bad, considering we knew their QB couldn’t pass to save his life. But at least we adjusted at half.

We haven’t faced many good offenses and I think we have some personnel and scheme weaknesses that will be exploited in the second half of our schedule, but there’s no doubt our D has taken a big step forward this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I’d say getting surprised by the wildcat/playing it with light boxes in 2 high was pretty bad, considering we knew their QB couldn’t pass to save his life. But at least we adjusted at half.

We haven’t faced many good offenses and I think we have some personnel and scheme weaknesses that will be exploited in the second half of our schedule, but there’s no doubt our D has taken a big step forward this year. 

Agree with this.  I still don't really trust PK against a good offense with some playmakers - I think he will get roasted. 

But maybe this is the redemption year.   Sark's offense fucks, particularly when he has a real qb that that knows all the Madden button combos.  Maybe PK turns it around and becomes the DC many thought he would and prove doubters like me wrong.  I would actually love for that to happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I dont disagree with you. I think pk is getting better but I think having maybe the best defensive coach in the meeting room during the week is going to be helpful to anyone. 

There was a lot of shit to clear out off this team but it just looks like a different philosophy on that side of the ball this year. Good on pk for implementing that regardless of the source. 

58 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I still don't really trust PK against a good offense with some playmakers - I think he will get roasted.  Maybe PK turns it around and becomes the DC many thought he would and prove doubters like me wrong.  I would actually love for that to happen.  

Plenty of challenges ahead... Texas defense needs to keep improving, especially in creating more turnovers.  They are still having issues against wide runs due to our shitty edges...

Edited by LTtxfan

It seems it’s PK’s default setting when something unexpected shows up. 

I actually don’t fault him much for that. We see it all of the time when a semi-competent back up QB enters the game and the DC doesn’t have a cheat sheet for tendencies and strengths/weaknesses. 

I wasn’t impressed that the concept surprised us for two quarters. But that’s a nit for another day much like us not being ready for a team to attempt a fourth down conversion against us even if they were all tricky and didn’t do it out of a conventional offensive formation (fake FG). 

Being unprepared for the fake fg pissed me off to no end.
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Being unprepared for the fake fg pissed me off to no end.

Not a pk issue since Banks runs special teams.

Jamison likely blew his assignment on that one. He is not on the edge of fg defense to ignore a receiving threat that heads to the flat in front of his face. But, that is exactly what he did. Fortunately, dmo made up for it by beating his blocker.

OU put the QB way out wide on those running packages. PK is overly conservative, so he leaned towards respecting OUs ability to shift the QB to the backfield if he overplayed the run.

It would be great if PK took a more aggressive mentality. The players would feed on that mentality too. I feel like we have had a major breakthrough for PK to allow the DTs to actually attack the LOS this season.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

OU was exploiting our edges and LBs with counters and sweeps but didn’t stick with it.  They were stupid.  

Well when you get down 28-0 you aren’t wildcating your way back into the game.

They beat us on a few sweeps but we stuffed a few in a row in the second half and they stopped trying. Not sure how many counters they tried but 3.7 yards a carry allowed is not too bad at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Is he even allowed to coach?  Doesn't NCAA have a limit of on-field coaches?  I'm actually surprised to see him on the sidelines.  I could be wrong on this but I don't think so.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think being average was about  it anyone realistically hoped for. That paired with a legit offense has won this conference more than a few times. I can see the improvement. But our margin is razor thin. Probably enough to keep us from reaching our goal this year unless our offense plays out of its mind during a few critical games. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?