TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

I think we can all agree Casey has played very well in his appearances. He is a great backup to have. He will get playing time in a lot of games, and he will learn a ton under Sark. Our online has some issues. It looks like Card will spend some time running the ball. It’ll be surprising if he doesn’t get a little banged up. We’re gonna need Casey.

If he leaves, there’s nothing Sark could’ve done to convince him to stay other than making him the starter.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

I think we can all agree Casey has played very well in his appearances. He is a great backup to have. He will get playing time in a lot of games, and he will learn a ton under Sark. Our online has some issues. It looks like Card will spend some time running the ball. It’ll be surprising if he doesn’t get a little banged up. We’re gonna need Casey.

If he leaves, there’s nothing Sark could’ve done to convince him to stay other than making him the starter.

That about sums it up. Casey looks like starter material, he just had the misfortune to be behind Sam and ahead of Card. I hope he sticks around at least through this season, because I think he'll get playing time and if anything goes wrong he could get a lot of playing time. But ultimately you have to expect people to do what is right for them, and if he can go get a starter job elsewhere I don't see what will stop him from doing that.

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Pic?

Well fuck me. I will freely admit to being bourbon deep into the 3rd quarter. But ,im really not backing off my initial read. Dude aint happy.  3rd quarter  after kickoff post Card TD. They show the replay and come back to Card on the sideline. This is Casey. 

My opinion. And it aint changed 2nd time around. And the bourbon agrees with me. 

20210906_145935.jpg

On 9/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, chase25 said:

Kelly Bryant transferred from Clemson, Hurts from Alabama, Murray/Hill from A&M, Fields/Eason from Georgia. Why is this even a topic every year? Guys want to play, you can only have one QB, the guy who loses the job will likely transfer. I don’t understand why this is such a hot topic every year.

Casey is more than capable of winning games. I was even in the camp that thought we should start Casey and then usher in Card. Sark chose right, Casey will be our backup this year, transfer at the end of the year (good luck to him), and next year will be about getting Charles Wright, Maalik Murphy and Arch Manning ready to be the backup.

Casey has 2 years of eligibility left whether he throws a tantrum and cleans his locker out today or plays in every game the rest of the season. If he chooses to leave now he is getting really bad advice.

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:
On 9/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, chase25 said:

Kelly Bryant transferred from Clemson, Hurts from Alabama, Murray/Hill from A&M, Fields/Eason from Georgia. Why is this even a topic every year? Guys want to play, you can only have one QB, the guy who loses the job will likely transfer. I don’t understand why this is such a hot topic every year.

Casey is more than capable of winning games. I was even in the camp that thought we should start Casey and then usher in Card. Sark chose right, Casey will be our backup this year, transfer at the end of the year (good luck to him), and next year will be about getting Charles Wright, Maalik Murphy and Arch Manning ready to be the backup.

Casey has 2 years of eligibility left whether he throws a tantrum and cleans his locker out today or plays in every game the rest of the season. If he chooses to leave now he is getting really bad advice.

He’ll still be in high school.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Well fuck me. I will freely admit to being bourbon deep into the 3rd quarter. But ,im really not backing off my initial read. Dude aint happy.  3rd quarter  after kickoff post Card TD. They show the replay and come back to Card on the sideline. This is Casey. 

My opinion. And it aint changed 2nd time around. And the bourbon agrees with me. 

20210906_145935.jpg

You're just seeing what you want to see.   Analyzing the guy's emotions based on a split second facial expression and the way he sits on the bench is stupid.  He may or may not transfer, I hope he doesn't but I wouldn't blame him if he did. But this pic isn't evidence of it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

20210906_145935.jpg

Get the fuck outta here with this "dude ain't happy" analysis. He's OBVIOUSLY looking at the new SEZ and thinking "why the fuck are the seats all empty?"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

20210906_145935.jpg

Just stop, dude. He might leave, but your data is ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

That about sums it up. Casey looks like starter material, he just had the misfortune to be behind Sam and ahead of Card. I hope he sticks around at least through this season, because I think he'll get playing time and if anything goes wrong he could get a lot of playing time. But ultimately you have to expect people to do what is right for them, and if he can go get a starter job elsewhere I don't see what will stop him from doing that.

He has no reason to leave at this point, it doesn't do anybody any good. My guess, he leaves after the season is over if Card remains the starter.

Notes on Texas' Hudson Card and other new starting quarterbacks

• Several people on the previous Texas coaching staff told me this summer that if Hudson Card didn't win the starting quarterback job, the Longhorns could be in trouble. Card had the higher ceiling, they said, despite being a redshirt freshman. New coach Steve Sarkisian went with Card first in Saturday's opener against No. 23 Louisiana, and the choice paid off. Card looked very steady against a veteran Louisiana defense, completing 14 of 21 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. Sarkisian also got Casey Thompson significant playing time and seemed happy with the efficiency of both quarterbacks. The key will be how long Sarkisian rotates both rather than sticking with one (presumably Card).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/32155834/from-cj-stroud-jack-coan-how-new-qbs-fared-week-1

I get wanting playing time, be it for showcasing yourself to the NFL or just competitive love of the game, and the transfer portal making it easier than ever. However, it seems half or more of these QBs don’t end up the full time starter at their next school either and they potentially screwed up their degree progress in the transfer. Almost as often, something happens at the old team or with the other QB leaving, injury, whatever, and the transfer QB likely would have got more playing time at the original school in the following years than what he got at the ne new school. 

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I get wanting playing time, be it for showcasing yourself to the NFL or just competitive love of the game, and the transfer portal making it easier than ever. However, it seems half or more of these QBs don’t end up the full time starter at their next school either and they potentially screwed up their degree progress in the transfer. Almost as often, something happens at the old team or with the other QB leaving, injury, whatever, and the transfer QB likely would have got more playing time at the original school in the following years than what he got at the ne new school. 

The grass, it always be greener . . .

Casey has had just a few plays and this offense is already better.  He’s making quick reads and taking the yards with QB scrambles when the defense gives it to him.  He looks way more composed.  Card had some terrible throws and had times where he could make the defense pay for a 3 man rush if he just took off and roomy he 5-6 yards ahead of him.  Instead he extends the play to take a sack or incompletion to a covered receiver.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

Card is a disaster 

Yeah all I've heard all off season is "Card is the real deal. Thompson did good in a meaningless bowl game"

Thompson did good in a game where a lot of pressure was on him. 

Card looks like a scared little bitch in the first game where any pressure was on him. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Casey Thompson is the far superior QB, when you factor in this offensive line. Yeah, I can see how Card is superior behind a Bama caliber curtain, but do we look like we have one of those?

I agree. As I’ve said elsewhere, Card is the QB Sark wants for his system. We don’t have the pieces for his system.