Mentally unstable radical Republican? Oh you mean Marjorie!

Pancho

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The thing about MGT....I'm sure some of y'all remember those "Post of a Photo/Video of an Irishman!" threads on Shaggy, where one of us would run up to an Irishman, take his photo, and then yell "I JUST TOOK A PIECE OF YOUR SOUL" and then we'd film them trying to chase us down in the vain hope that somehow they could (in their minds) reclaim that little piece of their soul that we stole with our photograph.

The reality/irony was that none of us took a piece of their soul, because you can't take a piece of a soul from somebody who doesn't have a soul in the first place.  The Irishman never could understand that they were just an empty vessel shaped by the forces around them.  Because the Irish have no soul, they couldn't feel whether a piece of it was actually stolen or not.   All they had to go on was our telling them that we had just captured a piece of their soul.   

MGT is the same way - she lacks the same kind of self-awareness that those Irish had - she's got Trump telling her she's doing a good job, she's got twitter people telling her she is, she's got Gym Jordan and Matt Gaetz telling her.  

That vote in support of Liz Cheney should have caused her a lot of concern, because Liz Cheny had very publicly sided against Trump, but MGT is going off of what people who support her are saying.

The only thing MGT has in her favor is that this vote will be public, and that plenty of House Rs are scared shitless of Trump's base.

Is this some Surly Fan Fiction or did this actually happen?

i mean, yeah, he made some big assumptions, but you saying that you are the average republican in this day and age means something different from the barry goldwater days.
right now, it seems the republican congressional leadership has lost their goddamn minds, but they've really not. they are acting with some kind of political calculus. 
i would ask you to take the first question in his post seriously. how exactly are you the average republican? i'm honestly curious what that means to you.

Agree theres a lot of crazy going on but I find it hard to believe that the extreme right who support zerging the capitol is the average republican. Imo they are the vocal minority, larger then many of us would like to admit but I dont think they are the average.

3 minutes ago, Smax said:

Agree theres a lot of crazy going on but I find it hard to believe that the extreme right who support zerging the capitol is the average republican. Imo they are the vocal minority, larger then many of us would like to admit but I dont think they are the average.

thanks for the answer.

my opinion is that i suspect you are wrong, and it is based on republican house leadership mollycoddling that part of the base. they seem to be running shit right now.

i do see some room in 74 million votes for what we would all call normal, but it seems apparent that republican legislators don't think they can win reelection without the "lot of crazy" going on.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah. We really need to step away from this smug attitude I see so often on here, pretending we piss on SEC SEC SEC country from a very great height. It is the epitome of glass houses. 

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yep. Gohmert, Babin, Patrick, Paxton, Cruz, Roy, Pill Doctor, Abbott, SJL. Not a lot to be proud of lol

xx828.jpg

26 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

thanks for the answer.

my opinion is that i suspect you are wrong, and it is based on republican house leadership mollycoddling that part of the base. they seem to be running shit right now.

i do see some room in 74 million votes for what we would all call normal, but it seems apparent that republican legislators don't think they can win reelection without the "lot of crazy" going on.

They can’t win primaries without the crazy vote. That’s why they will not vote to remove MTG from her committee assignments in public even though a majority of them would tell you in private she’s crazier than a shithouse rat and has no business in the US Gov’t.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Smax said:

Respectfully, this reads as a defense mechanism for being a Republican. Denial of what has happened to the GOP over the years is must making the QAnon section of the party stronger. 

Sounds like you are what an "average Republican" used to be. The party has gone off the rails and we need people like you to be more critical of it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

It's a horrible situation when the majority party is going to remove a minority member from a committee. And to be clear, its completely the fault of the GOP and MTG. She is not even walking back ANY previous statement, and I'm sure she was ordered/advised by Trump to not give an inch as that is a sign of weakness. 

The this will play out by a straight party vote to remove her from her committee assignments. Then when the GOP inevitably runs the House again, they will seek out a Dem member that makes controversial and perhaps stupid remarks. Then they will seek revenge, which was actually the GOP weakness in controlling their own side. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's a horrible situation when the majority party is going to remove a minority member from a committee. And to be clear, its completely the fault of the GOP and MTG. She is not even walking back ANY previous statement, and I'm sure she was ordered/advised by Trump to not give an inch as that is a sign of weakness. 

The this will play out by a straight party vote to remove her from her committee assignments. Then when the GOP inevitably runs the House again, they will seek out a Dem member that makes controversial and perhaps stupid remarks. Then they will seek revenge, which was actually the GOP weakness in controlling their own side. 

it really is a strange unforced error, but i think the leadership is full on with the koolaid.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

They can’t win primaries without the crazy vote. That’s why they will not vote to remove MTG from her committee assignments in public even though a majority of them would tell you in private she’s crazier than a shithouse rat and has no business in the US Gov’t.

They have made Trump king maker. If he denounced her she would get dropped in a second. They made a crazy guy that likes crazy people the shot caller. The mid terms are going to be popcorn worthy. An army of MTGs are going to kiss the ring trying to primary everyone, and Trump will eat it up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

The average R today is not the average R of 20 years ago. If you consider yourself an average R today, you have some Q in you.

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Watch the “average Republican” reps who lose primaries in 2022. A bunch of that 74M will be political orphans 

The more moderate Republicans in Congress, relatively speaking, were pretty much run out of office in 2018. What's left are the people that represent districts that are some combination of crazy and people that believe Democrat=communist.

I personally haven't spoken to GOP friends about MTG but I would bet many of them would only care if she votes for GOP ideals. If pressed, they would agree that her comments are crazy but that the best solution is if MTG stops making them public. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. “She apologized in private, that’s enough.”

But this really is evidence that the party is now hostage to the hardliners. They thought they could play the extremist card and now the extremist card is playing them.  It plays out time and again the world over and people never learn.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it really is a strange unforced error, but i think the leadership is full on with the koolaid.

They are not willing to piss off the nutjob part of their base  because it will mean losing elections for a few cycles.  Instead they're going to drive away every single moderate that used to vote Republican.  McConnell understands this isn't going to work in the long run, but McCarthy doesn't.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It is completely the fault of the GOP leadership - Steve King couldn't be racist a few years, he got removed from his committees.  But MTG can call for Democrats, including the Speaker, to be executed and nothing bad happens to her.

It will not be a straight party-line vote - there will probably be a couple Republicans who go along with it (Kinzinger, for sure).

And lastly - yes, it will be AOC and Omar. Book it. 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

They are not willing to piss off the nutjob part of their base  because it will mean losing elections for a few cycles.  Instead they're going to drive away every single moderate that used to vote Republican.  McConnell understands this isn't going to work in the long run, but McCarthy doesn't.

Seems like McCarthy and other GOP leaders are still uncertain how to handle Trump. Trump seems to be powerless at the moment with zero social media but they're worried about the future if that isn't the case.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

McConnell understands it because he knows a GOP Senate majority might have a half dozen Tubervilles, but there's only so many states that can send Q-tards to the Senate.  You still need moderate-ish Republicans in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Texas, etc. to keep your majority. 

The House is entirely different.  Fuck gerrymandering. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is where drawing these increasingly safe districts to win hurts them.  The rank and file loses complete touch with the broader electorate and doesn’t understand that you are going to hurt yourself in state and national elections. The only race that counts is the Republican primary and that’s a race to the crazy right. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They are not willing to piss off the nutjob part of their base  because it will mean losing elections for a few cycles.  Instead they're going to drive away every single moderate that used to vote Republican.  

I keep seeing people say this, but I have trouble believing it, absent a LOT more organization by Trump.  Most of the Trumpers I see on Facebook aren't even particularly political; they're just king-worshipers.  They're not going to turn out to vote for a bunch of plebes not named "Trump."

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I keep seeing people say this, but I have trouble believing it, absent a LOT more organization by Trump.  Most of the Trumpers I see on Facebook aren't even particularly political; they're just king-worshipers.  They're not going to turn out to vote for a bunch of plebes not named "Trump."

I think that vote is going to dropoff, but the Republicans are still scared of losing them.  Cutting bait with them now makes sense so they have 2 years to try to get the moderates back.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

We already know this. 

They didn't turn out in 2018.  They didn't turn out 2 months after the 2020 election in Georgia - GOP turnout plummeted in parts of the state.   They don't vote for anyone but Donald J. Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Smax said:
11 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:
How exactly are you the average republican then? Let me guess, you think the election was stolen and that Trump wasn't responsible for 1/6?

Post less, your ass is showing

Well, you dodge questions about as well as the average Republican, I'll give you that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smax said:

Oh hey, look: it’s a frog that doesn’t realize he’s already been stung.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i mean, yeah, he made some big assumptions, but you saying that you are the average republican in this day and age means something different from the barry goldwater days.

right now, it seems the republican congressional leadership has lost their goddamn minds, but they've really not. they are acting with some kind of political calculus. 

i would ask you to take the first question in his post seriously. how exactly are you the average republican? i'm honestly curious what that means to you.

They weren't really assumptions, they were educated guesses. Some 72% of Rs think the election was rigged and the majority think he bears no responsibility for 1/6. Twas a fair question. 

24 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think that vote is going to dropoff, but the Republicans are still scared of losing them.  Cutting bait with them now makes sense so they have 2 years to try to get the moderates back.

I honestly don't see much of any moderates coming back in 2 years.  I think we're looking at minimum of 2 Dem presidential terms before a decent number of moderates come back.  I say that because I'm one of those people.  And Biden absolutely gets a free pass for four years, just for dealing with the toxic waste left by Trump.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

They have made Trump king maker. If he denounced her she would get dropped in a second. They made a crazy guy that likes crazy people the shot caller. The mid terms are going to be popcorn worthy. An army of MTGs are going to kiss the ring trying to primary everyone, and Trump will eat it up. 

Yes, it seems more and more folks are grasping the obvious truth that is right before our eyes.  Trump -- hell, even the IDEA of Trump -- is either king or kingmaker in the GOP for the foreseeable future.

Any war for the GOP is over, and has been for years.  It's just that now, we're seeing the actual formal surrender papers being signed by GOP leadership.

45 minutes ago, kevwun said:

But the thing is.....the bolded will NOT happen.  Sure, some moderates have left the party.  But not many.  The rest will happily go along with supporting psychopathic wingnuts who are continuing to stoke the fires of violence and terrorism  -- for fuck's sake, what we've seen on this board, with people openly admitting that Trump is horribad, but .... "I can't vote for a communist like Biden!"  It doesn't matter who the opponent is. 

They will say "sure, MTG is nutty, and I disagree with what she said about Sandy Hook....and jewish space lasers....and [literally 500 other batshit crazy things including calling for the EXECUTION of political opponents].....but she gets my vote for POTUS over that communist Chinese spy Pete Buttigieg!  I have no choice!"

That is, if we even make it to the formality of an election.  If you think that a more organized, armed assault on the Capitol, with Congress inside, is not in the planning stages right now, you really haven't learned anything about how terrorists operate.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Respectfully, this reads as a defense mechanism for being a Republican. Denial of what has happened to the GOP over the years is must making the QAnon section of the party stronger. 
Sounds like you are what an "average Republican" used to be. The party has gone off the rails and we need people like you to be more critical of it. 

I dont necessarily agree with this, as Hayden alluded to earlier this not the gop of goldwater, i know that and feel many repubs do as well. Oh we long for the small government fiscal conservative party, but that is never coming back.

So what do we/I do, I haven't donated money since 2017 but honestly the whole thing (politics)
just makes me sick.
  • Hook 'Em 2

What’s amazing is how easy a normal GOP could have handled this with no Trump.

GOP Operative: Sir, there’s this real loon in NW Georgia. She thinks that the Democrats and Rothschilds are satanist pedophiles in league with the ChiComs and that school shootings are staged. She wants to shoot the Speaker. We’re still checking, but she may think that Jews caused those wildfires with a space laser. She’s running in a deep red district, so if she’s our nominee, she’ll win. 

POTUS: Well that’s batshit. What’s the plan?

Operative: Not to worry, we found a white man who doesn’t like taxes but does like Our Troops. He has a wife, two kids, and a chocolate lab. No one has heard him say the N-word. We want to give him a few hundred grand from a PAC and for you to say he should be in Congress and not the space laser lady.

POTUS: Sounds good, let me know his name and if he needs a phone call from me, too.

• Like 3