Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

I was probably 30 before I ate a tamale that wasn’t out of a can! The Mexicans in Kansas and Oklahoma back then must have been keeping that stuff to themselves. I haven’t had them in 30 years but I kind of remember them as being pretty good! Drank a ton of powdered milk as a kid too.

10 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Sounds great, so I checked out their locations. Only 6 in Texas. Not chicken related, but I’m a Braum’s guy from my days in Oklahoma. They say the reason they don’t expand further into Texas is because of supply chain issues getting their dairy products so far from their farms. I wonder how a chicken joint chain can manage it profitably with just 6 locations in a state as big as Texas? And what do Filipino’s eat with their chicken if it’s not biscuits, those pickled fermented egg things?

I miss Braums. Back in the day, I would get my daughter's mom a big ass sundae and get me 5 burgers for $5 on Sundays. That would last us almost a week. 

• Like 2

Filipino fried chicken from Jollibee (fast food chain) is superior to EVERY chain fried chicken restaurant in the US; and probably better than 50% of specialty fried chicken places.
Super crisp on the outside and flavorful on the inside. Their spicy chicken is legit spicy 
Their only shortcoming is they don’t sell biscuits with their chicken.

The boy discovered it in Glasgow. He says it ain’t Popeyes, but it is damn fine. It’s usually something they get when they’re all baked and pool their money to buy like a 30 piece order.

The boy discovered it in Glasgow. He says it ain’t Popeyes, but it is damn fine. It’s usually something they get when they’re all baked and pool their money to buy like a 30 piece order.
Ask your boy if he has tried a Scottish egg yet? I want to try one, but I'm sure not my heart can handle it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ask your boy if he has tried a Scottish egg yet? I want to try one, but I'm sure not my heart can handle it.

We both have. Meh. Sounds better than jt turns out to be.

Their main indulgence is…chippy. Hit the cheap fish and chips joint for £5, or £7 if you want two filets and can spare the £2.
  • Like 1

Filipino fried chicken from Jollibee (fast food chain) is superior to EVERY chain fried chicken restaurant in the US; and probably better than 50% of specialty fried chicken places.
Super crisp on the outside and flavorful on the inside. Their spicy chicken is legit spicy 

We have one near us. I never knew what it was so didn’t give it a shot. That mango pie sounds interesting too. Will try soon

On 5/9/2023 at 3:00 PM, Lurch said:

I had my car for eight years before I realized what the auto hold button was for. what a horribly named and marketed piece of technology. In my wife’s truck it’s actually labeled Auto H.

image.gif.37285421334c7416cfdef8d3c9dea701.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

I've been meaning to try this place for a while now. You've inspired me to finally get around to it soon. 

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Scotch eggs done right are the bomb.  Dog and Duck used to have good ones. Better ones come closer to the source. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

I was probably 30 before I ate a tamale that wasn’t out of a can

I never had a taco until I was nearly 20. My parents are from the midwest and didn't grow up eating tacos, thusly I didn't grow up eating them either. Dad was in the military, so I grew up mostly in West Germany, not exactly a hotbed of mexican cuisine. So, no tacos for me until a friend suggested Taco Bell one night. 

• Like 1

Never ate seafood as a child and if I did it was fried popcorn shrimp.  It wasn't until Church's started selling catfish that began to venture eating fish and seafood more frequently.  Wife loves shrimp, cod and snow crab, I didn't become a fan of lobster until moving up here to NY and first time having g clam chowder was in a sourdough boule at Pac-Bell Park in SF, really hit the spot on a chilly summer night. 

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I never had a taco until I was nearly 20. My parents are from the midwest and didn't grow up eating tacos, thusly I didn't grow up eating them either. Dad was in the military, so I grew up mostly in West Germany, not exactly a hotbed of mexican cuisine. So, no tacos for me until a friend suggested Taco Bell one night. 

Midwest too. We had tacos all the time when I was a kid. Fucking hated them. My mom would fry up some ground beef and add taco seasoning. Hard corn shells, greasy beef, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes. It’s still difficult for me to eat a beef taco, and I won’t touch a hard shell taco. 

• Like 1

Midwest too. We had tacos all the time when I was a kid. Fucking hated them. My mom would fry up some ground beef and add taco seasoning. Hard corn shells, greasy beef, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes. It’s still difficult for me to eat a beef taco, and I won’t touch a hard shell taco. 

I wish I had half a dozen of the tacos you just described right about now!

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

I’m not making these tacos, my mom is. She wasn’t paying for lean hamburger. 

All the more reason to drain the grease off before adding the seasoning packet. I don’t use lean hamburger for tacos either. (Or hamburgers.) Some fat is a good thing. But I strain the beef in a colander after browning. Then I sauté some peppers and maybe some onion in a little of the fat in the pan before I return the meat. I have some leftovers with habaneros and serranos in the fridge right now. Here’s some with jalapeños, serranos, and onions from a few weeks ago:

B64CDE12-4C8A-41B1-96E7-F2A21DA20B1C.thumb.jpeg.aa1325d0f66d0ec5c314ca2e996464c3.jpeg

That’s not grease, that’s just sauce that hasn’t reduced yet. When it’s done it’s thick enough that it won’t drip, or won’t drip much. I love that stuff. I can eat it with a fork right out of the pan. I have to resist the temptation.

I always have more lettuce than I need to make tacos so I’ll make taco salad with leftover meat. I’ll add meat and cheese and I don’t know why but thousand island dressing seems appropriate so I use that. Works for me. If I have broken shells I’ll toast those and crumble them into the salad. Otherwise I’ll just use garlic croutons. Anyone else do that?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Reminder that if you eat beets, or chips made of beets, then take a dump in the morning and see red, it’s because of the beets and you are not bleeding out of your butt. [/psa]

I think that Adam Carolla has a bit about how any restaurant that serves beets should also provide a red rubber Livestrong-style bracelet to serve as a reminder/panic-reducer the following day. 

Reminder that if you eat beets, or chips made of beets, then take a dump in the morning and see red, it’s because of the beets and you are not bleeding out of your butt. [/psa]

So that doesn’t help those of us that intermittently shit blood and occasionally eat beats.

Don’t worry….it’s hemorrhoids….they’ve looked. And probed. And searched. And mined. And repeated. Nothing….except hemorrhoids.
  • Haha 1

i like sports, i like finance and business, but i have no goddamn idea how sports contracts work.  supermax, extension, players exception, amnesty clause, bird rights, all that shit. 

Obviously you didn’t take the prerequisite course on Salary Capology.

26 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Obviously you didn’t take the prerequisite course on Salary Capology.

i read espn articles from time to time and they'll casually drop shit like "this team will qualify for the the mid-level exemption" with no further explanation, as if its obvious to everyone how it works.  meanwhile, half the people reading the article probably cant balance a checkbook.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i like sports, i like finance and business, but i have no goddamn idea how sports contracts work.  supermax, extension, players exception, amnesty clause, bird rights, all that shit. 

The player signs a contract, then YADA YADA YADA, the agent gets rich.

• Haha 1

Is there any real penalty for not paying a parking ticket from a private lot company? Best I can figure is they send you to a collection agency, but it would seem not worth it to them, and they have no jurisdiction to fuck with your driving record, right? We left our car at a brewery overnight because we wisely Ubered home. I forgot to go back on the app and pay for an extra day. The ticket is for $75. I'm thinking of mailing them a check for $10 for an additional day of parking and leave it at that.

Edited by 'stache

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Depends on the municipality. Most have ordinances that cover it and can use the court system to enforce the fines.

The ticket is from a company in New Orleans and says "Citation not paid after 30 days will be referred to collections." I'm skeptical they go to collections for a small amount, and I see nothing that would allow the municipality to enforce it other than suing for the amount they want me to pay which would go to state small claims court.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The ticket is from a company in New Orleans and says "Citation not paid after 30 days will be referred to collections." I'm skeptical they go to collections for a small amount, and I see nothing that would allow the municipality to enforce it other than suing for the amount they want me to pay which would go to state small claims court.

Counterpoint: their entire business model could be predicated upon sending things to collections. 

Similarly, you could eventually find yourself wishing that you had just capitulated on the $75 if fighting it (successfully or otherwise) takes up more than an hour or two of your life. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Counterpoint: their entire business model could be predicated upon sending things to collections. 

Similarly, you could eventually find yourself wishing that you had just capitulated on the $75 if fighting it (successfully or otherwise) takes up more than an hour or two of your life. 

I'm leaning this way, I just wish it was $25 instead of $75, it's fucking absurd. I don't mind paying a little extra for their time since I did forget to add a day in the app (the hangover played a role there) but probably not worth the effort.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

That's probably true, but they probably have Saul Goodman on call who will make your life a living hell just to piss you off.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:45 AM, gofuckyourself said:

People's inflated sense of importance rises to the surface at this moment, like few others. I like seeing people stand up and try to deplane when there are at least 100 people in front of them.

They're also the drivers that try to swerve in and out around heavy traffic. We're all in this sardine can together so relax and you'll get there when the people ahead of you move up.

I stand up as soon as the plane stops, not because of some inflated sense of importance or that i mistakenly think that I'm somehow going to get off sooner. I stand up immediately because my ass hurts and my legs are sore from sitting in THOSE FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT SEATS WITH NO GODDAMN LEGROOM. FUCK!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Today I completed an online return form to a clothing company. All the usual stuff, submit which item(s), reason, how you want the refund, print the USPS label out. But there was something different. Before it let me print, it had me select which local Post Office I would be dropping the return off at. Then the next screen asks you if you would like to pay a fee of $8 to have the return picked up from you instead of dropping it off at the post office. That's some semi-predatory shit right there. I'm guessing they use DoorDash and get at least half of that and they probably ask you if you want to tip the courier, as well. Anyway, I printed out the label and left it on my porch for my mailman as always. He picked it up as always. For free.