Russell Wilson Cut From the Broncos

Vic Mackey

He was cut before playing a single game of that extension the Broncos gave him. 

The trade wasn't worse than Walker to Vikings nor was the extension as bad what the Browns gave Watson. 

But the two combined might make it the worst single transaction in NFL history when you consider Wilson's performance (or lack thereof), the draft capital the Broncos gave up, and the massive cap hit(s) once they released him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

They are paying him 38 million to not play for them..  lol.  Is there a bigger downfall of a qb ever?

We need a road trip movie with him and Jimbo trying to spend their money Brewster's Millions style.

• Haha 4

As a Broncos fan, I hated that trade and extension for a 33 year old Wilson with a ton of mileage. I suppose I'm glad they ripped the band-aid off, but its gonna take a while to unfuck this squad and I don't have a lot of confidence in our dipshit GM or even Payton for that matter.  All I can say is I'm glad the Horns have turned it around, because its gonna be awhile before Denver is worth a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

We need a road trip movie with him and Jimbo trying to spend their money Brewster's Millions style.

That's a lot of sweatshirts and mobile homes they'd have to buy. 

43 minutes ago, Blotto said:

As a Broncos fan, I hated that trade and extension for a 33 year old Wilson with a ton of mileage. I suppose I'm glad they ripped the band-aid off, but its gonna take a while to unfuck this squad and I don't have a lot of confidence in our dipshit GM or even Payton for that matter.  All I can say is I'm glad the Horns have turned it around, because its gonna be awhile before Denver is worth a shit. 

I love it. Fuck the Broncos. 

• Hook 'Em 2

in a nutshell, Broncos GM George Patton gave up a... 1st 1st 2nd 2nd 5th + 3 players - a 4th to get Russell Wilson he then gave Wilson a new $242M contract in return, he received: ► 2 years of Russell Wilson ► back-to-back losing seasons ► $85M in dead cap GM George Patton also swung and missed when hiring HC Nathaniel Hackett... meanwhile coaches like Mike McDaniel, Brian Daboll & KOC were sitting on the market and were hired by other teams after Denver hired Hackett somehow he survived both nightmare moves

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

• immamac changed the title to Russell Wilson Cut From the Broncos
1 hour ago, The Dog said:

in a nutshell, Broncos GM George Patton gave up a... 1st 1st 2nd 2nd 5th + 3 players - a 4th to get Russell Wilson he then gave Wilson a new $242M contract in return, he received: ► 2 years of Russell Wilson ► back-to-back losing seasons ► $85M in dead cap GM George Patton also swung and missed when hiring HC Nathaniel Hackett... meanwhile coaches like Mike McDaniel, Brian Daboll & KOC were sitting on the market and were hired by other teams after Denver hired Hackett somehow he survived both nightmare moves

Patton should probably stick to military stuff

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Blotto said:

they need to conduct a fire sale and acquire as many picks as possible IMHO. Embrace the tank. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was one that never got the hype for Russell Wilson. Dude was clearly carried by an all time great defense. Every single time they tried to force him to be the hero it didn't work out. He bought into his own hype and pride always comes before the fall.

Real question is how does George Paton survive this unmitigated disaster? It's the worst contract that I can remember and I root for a team with Dak on it.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Real question is how does George Paton survive this unmitigated disaster? It's the worst contract that I can remember and I root for a team with Dak on it.

The Wilson trade was bad enough, but lets not forget he was also responsible for hiring that dipshit Hackett, who he then fired before he could complete his first season. With new ownership dropping $4.5B on the franchise, you would think they would drop this guy in favor of someone who isnt a potato. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2024 at 5:23 PM, Hook1997 said:

They are paying him 38 million to not play for them..  lol.  Is there a bigger downfall of a qb ever?

Downfall?  $38m to do nothing sounds like failing up to me.  

Plus I'll be shocked if another team doesn't pick him up.

• Drool 1

8 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I was one that never got the hype for Russell Wilson. Dude was clearly carried by an all time great defense. Every single time they tried to force him to be the hero it didn't work out. He bought into his own hype and pride always comes before the fall.

Disagree. In his prime, Wilson threw a lovely deep ball--possibly the best in the business--and he excelled at buying time, which he had to do because Carroll and the management never did much to shore up an offensive line that couldn't pass protect.

I've heard Wilson was slow to make reads or go through progressions, which probably exacerbated Seattle's protection issues, but I'd still put him up there with prime Rodgers in being able to buy time and make winning throws despite constantly having defenders in his face or having to run for his life.

Pro football is a young man's game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He’d be an upgrade in ATL, Pittsburgh, or Tampa (if Mayfield leaves) if they didn’t want to go after a rookie or high priced free agent. If he sucks, he only cost you $1.21M.  The Bears, Redskins, or Patriots could bring him in to let their rookie sit on the bench for a year and watch while the team at least pretends to be competitive.

51 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He’d be an upgrade in ATL, Pittsburgh, or Tampa (if Mayfield leaves) if they didn’t want to go after a rookie or high priced free agent. If he sucks, he only cost you $1.21M.  The Bears, Redskins, or Patriots could bring him in to let their rookie sit on the bench for a year and watch while the team at least pretends to be competitive.

He's not going to play for minimum wage, even QB backups make around 3-5m a year.  I don't like him, never really have, and I think any team adding him as a stopgap QB would need to pay him about 10-15m+incentives for a 1 year deal.  QBs are expensive, even shitty ones on rebuilding teams. I think he may wind up on the Vikings if Cousins is leaving. 

Wilson to Pittsburgh would not be a smart move.

For teams with shitty Olines, you don’t try to shore that up with an over the hill QB. Maybe the Steelers Oline is not quite shitty level, but they were. Their OC was terrible and got fired. You can’t even evaluate your QB when those two things exist.

Washington has a poor Oline and coaching volatility so a bit hard to evaluate QB there too.

But I’m not sure I go Wilson for any team.

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

He's not going to play for minimum wage, even QB backups make around 3-5m a year.  I don't like him, never really have, and I think any team adding him as a stopgap QB would need to pay him about 10-15m+incentives for a 1 year deal.  QBs are expensive, even shitty ones on rebuilding teams. I think he may wind up on the Vikings if Cousins is leaving. 

He’s getting paid $38M this year no matter what. His Denver contract has offset language, so if he signs somewhere for $10, Denver then pays him $28. He’d be hurting his new team to sign for more and take cap space and make the same amount of money. I think they said the vet minimum is $1.21M, so that’s probably what he will sign for and Denver will pay him $36.8m

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He’s getting paid $38M this year no matter what. His Denver contract has offset language, so if he signs somewhere for $10, Denver then pays him $28. He’d be hurting his new team to sign for more and take cap space and make the same amount of money. I think they said the vet minimum is $1.21M, so that’s probably what he will sign for and Denver will pay him $36.8m

Oh sorry, I didn't realize he had an offset in his deal. That may make him retire then, not much point in putting your body through the stress of being an NFL QB if you get 38m either way.  Maybe he can find a contender to join and try to steal the starter spot like SF or Cleveland.

Atlanta should pick him up and either draft a QB to sit for a year, or strengthen their OL with this year’s great OL class and then draft a QB next year. 

I think that Wilson is washed up, signing him will buy time with the fans while they strengthen their line. 

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Atlanta should pick him up and either draft a QB to sit for a year, or strengthen their OL with this year’s great OL class and then draft a QB next year. 

I think that Wilson is washed up, signing him will buy time with the fans while they strengthen their line. 

Don't wish that washed up POS on Bijan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

Don't wish that washed up POS on Bijan. 

I’m not wishing him to go to Atlanta. 

Was listening to a fantasy football podcast and nearly every fantasy player from Atlanta, Las Vegas, Minnesota, and _______ (?) would have their draft position hold steady or drop if Wilson signed with their team. 

No one would benefit from his team signing Wilson. 

On 3/4/2024 at 7:07 PM, Blotto said:

Could be worse.  At least Jerry isn't the owner. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:02 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe teams will learn a lesson and stop overpaying for stars who have already peaked. LOL jk no they won’t. 

I don’t and will never understand the awNFL. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, Napoleon said:

Was listening to a fantasy football podcast and nearly every fantasy player from Atlanta, Las Vegas, Minnesota, and _______ (?) would have their draft position hold steady or drop if Wilson signed with their team. 

No one would benefit from his team signing Wilson. 

Breaking Bad Aaron GIF