UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

39 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think I’ve made clear that I don’t want coach Cal and would prefer other candidates. 
That said you are correct. I think some of his shine has come off due to NIL but it’s not like he’s been awful.
People generally overestimate how much success the best college bball coaches actually have. They think that if it’s not 5 FFs in 10 years that the coach isn’t really elite. 

No.  He's been awful, the loss to Wisconsin at 2015 FF ending the undefeated season dream has broken him in my and many others opinion. As Pancho has said, his offense sucks, 53 fucking points against UCLA in an era of 3pt shot and shot clock and with all that alleged talent.  So yeah, I won't shed a tear if he leaves. 

6 minutes ago, Underdog said:

No.  He's been awful, the loss to Wisconsin at 2015 FF ending the undefeated season dream has broken him in my and many others opinion. As Pancho has said, his offense sucks, 53 fucking points against UCLA in an era of 3pt shot and shot clock and with all that alleged talent.  So yeah, I won't shed a tear if he leaves. 

I get it. As I said he’s not my preference. But he’s won 25 games every year but one since that FF. He’s sucked in the tourney a couple times but we shouldn’t be turning our nose up at him. We just don’t have a ton of great options. The great option decided to be a jackass so here we are.
We could do a lot lot lot worse than Cal. Like Terry or McCasland or Ivey. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think I’ve made clear that I don’t want coach Cal and would prefer other candidates. 
That said you are correct. I think some of his shine has come off due to NIL but it’s not like he’s been awful.
People generally overestimate how much success the best college bball coaches actually have. They think that if it’s not 5 FFs in 10 years that the coach isn’t really elite. 

I don't think it's because of NIL. 

It's because of the transfer portal. Cal could just out talent teams with 5 star freshmen but now other schools can limit the talent disparity via the transfer portal. IMO Cal's regression happened right when all these transfers started to become a thing. 

I want a coach that's really good at using the portal as I think it's a necessity in today's environment. Which is why I think Musselman is the best candidate. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think it's because of NIL. 

It's because of the transfer portal. Cal could just out talent teams with 5 star freshmen but now other schools can limit the talent disparity via the transfer portal. IMO Cal's regression happened right when all these transfers started to become a thing. 

I want a coach that's really good at using the portal as I think it's a necessity in today's environment. Which is why I think Musselman is the best candidate. 

Yea he has to be our number 1 imo. Muss I mean.

I think any of Muss/Oates/Tang/Cal/Lloyd and we’ve done well. To me those are the only “good” options we have. By good I really mean at or near Beard’s level. Any of that group I think can keep us as a consistent top 10ish program with the chance to be better.

Edited by hobbes2702

2 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

We are not going to hire the second sleaziest coach in all of college sports after firing beard to uphold our image.   No way    

Texas didn’t fire Beard to ‘uphold their image’, they fired him because he put his hands (and teeth) on his fiancé and was arrested. If you’re equating Calipari’s recruiting indiscretions with Beards women beating - you’ve got some problems.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't understand the appeal of these type coaches. Texas doesn't need a bagman with NIL. 

Coaches like Pearl and Calipari are the types that just buy recruits. Texas can accomplish that with NIL. Get a good coach and not a bagman because Texas can land transfers/recruits with NIL. 

2015 - 16th

2016 - 12th

2017 - 22nd

2018 - 237th

2019 - 19th

2020 - 10th

2021 - 77th

2022 - 19th

Auburn's recruiting rankings since 2015. Don't be a dumb fuck. Both Pearl and Cal can coach.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

2015 - 16th

2016 - 12th

2017 - 22nd

2018 - 237th

2019 - 19th

2020 - 10th

2021 - 77th

2022 - 19th

Auburn's recruiting rankings since 2015. Don't be a dumb fuck. Both Pearl and Cal can coach.

You think this proves Pearl can coach? 

He's had around top 20 talent and he's advanced to the Sweet 16 one time in now his 9th season at Auburn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas is an NCAA Tournament Threat with no permanent head coach. What does it do now? [The Athletic]

Spoiler

Texas is a NCAA Tournament threat with no permanent head coach. What does it do now?

AUSTIN, TEXAS - DECEMBER 21: Dillon Mitchell #23 of the Texas Longhorns eyes the ball as Jalen Dalcourt #5 of the Louisiana Lafayette Ragin Cajuns loses control of the ball during the game the between the Texas Longhorns and the Louisiana Lafayette Ragin Cajuns at Moody Center on December 21, 2022 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Chris Covatta/Getty Images)
By Brian Hamilton
8h ago

Texas does not have a permanent men’s basketball coach anymore, which is a hairy situation at any time. It’s a holy mess when that’s the case in the middle of the actual basketball season, and the basketball team hopes to chase down a championship or two. Not the time for an existential crisis. Not in a conference that’s a thumbscrew. And yet here Texas is, having to figure itself out all over again at the most difficult time imaginable.

What happens now in Austin, after Chris Beard’s firing on Thursday?

A lot. A whole lot of things happen. Make sure a promising season doesn’t unspool completely. Evaluate the men left in charge of the program. Poke around to see who else might be interested in taking over. And, by extension, find out how attractive the job is or how many problems exist – real or perceived – that might reveal Texas isn’t the shimmering beacon of dominance it believes it is, or at least can be.

The Athletic spoke to a variety of sources within the college basketball community, including coaches and agents. Some were granted anonymity either for competitive reasons or because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

“I think it’s a good job,” one coaching agent said. “But I don’t know that it’s the end-all, be-all no-brainer.”

It’s never good to have more questions than anyone can handle six days into the calendar year. Texas simply doesn’t have a choice but to find answers, in a hurry.

Saving the season

On Friday morning, the Longhorns woke up as the No. 13 team in the NCAA’s NET rankings, and anywhere from No. 9-17 by the leading analytic sites. They also woke up another day closer to two decades without a Final Four bid. The chance to be the team that ends the drought is real, and the urgency to protect that potential is extreme for acting head coach Rodney Terry and his staff.

The good news? Even Big 12 peers believe all is not lost, just because the previous head coach lost his job. “I think they will be great, honestly,” one conference assistant coach said. “(Terry) has been a successful head coach before and his voice will resonate with those guys. He will get them to buy into his system. Their roster, top to bottom, is still one of the most talented in the league.”

Or as another Big 12 head coach put it: “(Terry) is doing a good job. They play hard and are still on top of everything. They’re playing with passion.”

USATSI_19721317.jpg

Rodney Terry is 5-1 as Texas’ acting head coach, and won 163 games in 10 years as a head coach at Fresno State and UTEP. (Scott Wachter / USA Today)

Now that there’s finality and players know Beard isn’t coming back, the priority is to keep the threads from fraying. Texas will have four former head coaches in the building every day: Terry (Fresno State and UTEP), assistant Bob Donewold (multiple overseas teams), chief of staff Chris Ogden (UT-Arlington) and special assistant Steve McClain (Wyoming and Illinois-Chicago). There can be some comfort in knowing none of the drivers are on their learner’s permit.

But none of them are Beard, either, and how that affects preparation or in-game strategizing is clearly in the balance. Every remaining regular season opponent, as of Friday, is ranked inside the top 37 of KenPom. Any slippage – even a little – could have significant ramifications.

“There’s basketball acumen on that staff,” another coaching agent said. “And they’ve clearly got very good talent. Does that translate to them winning at the same level as Chris Beard? No. Definitely not. Chris Beard as a game manager and Xs and Os guy, an on-court coach – probably one of the top five, six, seven in college basketball. So there’s going to be a clear dropoff no matter what. But Texas is uniquely positioned where they’ve got guys with experience.”

Rodney Terry’s balancing act

Less than a year ago, upheaval at Louisville left Mike Pegues as a power-conference interim coach with a lot of season ahead of him. Pegues doesn’t know Rodney Terry, but he has a suggestion for Texas’ acting head coach: Start a journal. Write it all down, good and bad. These will be three unusual and trying months. Maybe the toughest stretch of Terry’s coaching career. But having a catalog of thoughts and experiences when it’s all over will be valuable. “It’s a lot,” says Pegues, who’s now a Butler assistant.

The situations sit at opposite poles, yes. Texas is a No. 3 seed in The Athletic’s latest Bracket Watch and its interim coach has 319 games of head coach experience to draw upon. Louisville was cratering and the interim leader hadn’t been a head coach since he ran a grassroots team. But the checklist is the same, and it means Terry isn’t merely charged with putting together game plans that win in the Big 12. The job is far more fraught than that.

He’s performing emotional triage on his players — probably twice over now, after Beard’s initial suspension last month and then again after the official dismissal Thursday. He’s reshuffling staff duties. He’s likely delicately putting his own touch on the operation while also not changing so much that it’s counterproductive. And even if auditioning for the full-time gig is not front of mind, Terry is inevitably showcasing his coaching ability under a scorching spotlight, for anyone who might want to hire him if Texas doesn’t.

How nimbly Terry navigates the asteroids coming at him, every day, is a massive variable. “At least in Texas’ case, I would like to think they have something to play for,” Pegues says. “If I’m Rodney Terry, I’m trying to convince the guys, we lost our leader, there’s no ducking that, we’re in a tough time. But we also put ourselves in a really good position to this point. If we can come together and concentrate on getting better every day, we still have the opportunity to do everything we set out to do.”

Never mind the joyous water bottle celebration after Terry led Texas to a win over Rice on Dec. 12, his first game as acting head coach. These are young men in their late teens and early 20s, all with exospheric aspirations. Terry’s roster is naturally on edge, at some level.

Pegues spent his first night as Louisville’s interim head coach contacting the team’s leaders, knowing he had to salve wounds and worries as quickly as possible. During a team meeting the next day, he gave players the floor to air out their emotions. He also understood the work of managing feelings wouldn’t be done when they left that space. “Guys have questions they can’t get immediate answers to,” Pegues says. “There’s a sense of why is this happening to me, and why is this happening to us, and what do I do from here. Human nature is to look at the big picture and not concentrate on practice that day. It’s easy to lose sight of what’s right in front of you.”

So far, Texas has won five of its six games with Terry as acting head coach. Very good sign. But in the two games against KenPom top 40 teams, the Longhorns beat Oklahoma by one and dissolved defensively in a loss to Kansas State. Two games into an 18-game Big 12 schedule, Texas has only just now entered the gauntlet. How a shaken group of players reacts to any upcoming adversity lands, fairly or not, at Rodney Terry’s feet.

All while he surely knows everyone wonders if he’s good enough to do this past April. “If Rodney Terry went to a Final Four, it’s probably hard not to take a look at him,” one agent says. “I don’t think it’s a very smart move. They shouldn’t have anybody there who’s on this staff.”

He’s been around some. But Terry never has faced something like this.

“People have them as a lock to finish on the high end of the Big 12 and put themselves in position to play in the NCAA Tournament,” Pegues said. “Winning is still an expectation around there.”

Defining Texas, the job

We’re also heading toward a referendum on Texas men’s basketball. There’s a $300 million arena that just opened. There’s a $60 million practice facility that just opened. There’s a recruiting base as fertile or more fertile than any in the country; it’s not a stretch to say Texas could field competitive teams without crossing state lines to find players. “It’s as good as it’s ever been,” one coaching agent said. “The job itself is positioned pretty well.”

Also? All the money and resources and available talent haven’t brought Texas anywhere near a national title in a very, very, very long time.

“In the last 12 years, they’ve won five NCAA Tournament games,” another coaching agent said. “Not great, right? I mean, Saint Peter’s won three last year.”

Maybe Beard was en route to straightening it all out, but there’s clearly a gap between what Texas should be doing and what Texas is doing. Running one of the more prominent athletic programs at any school is complicated. Running one of the more prominent programs at Texas adds an exponent to the chore. “Texas is big,” one person with knowledge of the school’s athletics operations said. “There’s a lot of moving parts within the day-to-day operations at the place, and then there’s moving parts outside of the operation. Sometimes those parts work together. Sometimes those parts are drastically different. And then sometimes the parts within each place change. There is a lot going on, a lot of the time. To compartmentalize and simplify is very important.”

USATSI_19721300-scaled.jpg

Sir’Jabari Rice and Texas are playing in a brand-new arena that opened this season. (Scott Wachter / USA Today)

The job has everything any coach could want and the job is also much more difficult than anyone might imagine. Both of these things are true. It’s certainly as good an explanation as any for why such a well-armed operation isn’t making much postseason noise.

The impending move to the SEC, and the impending competition with all its characters on the men’s basketball sidelines league-wide, only underscores the idea that a Texas men’s basketball coach will have to be extremely good on the floor and extremely dynamic off of it – and stumbling or coming up short in either way means you’re probably not going to succeed. The pool of people who can handle both elements, deftly, is not shallow … but isn’t diving-tank deep, either.

Still, one agent pointed out that Texas women’s volleyball program just won a national championship. Other sports thrive as well. The place is equipped to produce high-level performance. That much is undeniable. But the agent wondered, rhetorically, why it’s not happening for football and men’s basketball.

“In those sports,” the person familiar with Texas athletics said, “it’s hard to just be the program.”

Choosing the next coach

At some point, athletics director Chris Del Conte and any other stakeholders have to find a permanent solution. At this point, most people only have speculative thoughts about the direction Texas’ athletics director will go. But his past hires provide a few tea leaves to read. He hired Jamie Dixon at TCU after Dixon put together a long and successful Pittsburgh tenure. He grabbed Steve Sarkisian for Texas football, coming out of the Nick Saban rehabilitation program. He plucked Vic Schaefer from Mississippi State after Schaefer led the women’s basketball program there to a pair of Final Fours and an Elite Eight. Go back even to 2018 and the search for a new softball coach; it ended with Mike White, who’d won nearly 80 percent of his games in nine seasons at Oregon. And, of course, Chris Beard.

Splash. Names. Brands. It’s certainly not absurd to respond to a terribly messy situation with a statement hire that wipes the slate clean.

And most people figure Del Conte doesn’t have to think small. Not when Texas was paying the last guy $5 million a year, and surely has enough left in the couch cushions to present a compelling package.

“It’s a big brand,” one coaching agent said. “So I think there’s going to be a lot of interested parties.”

As The Athletic’s Seth Davis noted in his list of candidates for the job, those interested parties may well be very big names. An asterisk on that: Most observers feel the big swings might not connect. That Texas will wind up being a leverage play for a lot of coaches who are looking for more security or more money or more love, or all of the above, from their current employer.

But Del Conte has more than enough time to do his homework behind the scenes and suss out what’s real and what’s bound to be a disappointment. He’ll also have time to examine the hefty buyouts that may get in the way. (UCLA’s Mick Cronin, Missouri’s Dennis Gates and Oklahoma State’s Mike Boynton, to name a few, fall into that bucket.) In the end, he won’t be bereft of options, even if the options aren’t necessarily galaxy-shaking.

A few names that teeter on big swings, where it’s a little less if Del Conte would be allowing Texas to be used? Eric Musselman has a new contract at Arkansas potentially running through 2028. His buyout, though, is a relative pittance at $2 million after this season. Would Sean Miller leave Xavier after one season? Xavier pours a ton into its men’s basketball program and Miller can lead a pretty low-profile life in Cincinnati, which wouldn’t necessarily be the case in Austin. But could be worth a call. Illinois gave Brad Underwood a new contract through 2028 and a freshly renovated practice facility. Underwood might think he has the better job as it is. Flip side? He sprung onto the scene at Stephen F. Austin, and if Illinois doesn’t pull out of its current malaise, maybe he’s open to a change of scenery.

Dana Altman, meanwhile, doesn’t have Oregon humming lately — 15 losses last season, an 8-7 record so far in 2022-23 — but maybe that’s a springboard to hitting refresh at 64 years old, looking for one last run. Altman certainly would be a fit, from talent-acquisition and demeanor perspectives.

Is Jerome Tang too much Baylor for Texas fans to handle? Not that Tang necessarily would leave Kansas State after a year, either, but Texas offers resources that the 56-year-old won’t find in Manhattan. (Like, potentially doubling his salary, to begin with.) Boynton and Gates would merit a look if the buyouts aren’t an issue; there’s some risk, particularly with Gates being all of 14 games into his first power-conference job at Missouri, but the upside is steady, long-term plays. Andy Kennedy finished second in the race for two power conference jobs last cycle, per a source with knowledge of those discussions, and the UAB coach could be an intriguing wild card here. Wake Forest’s Steve Forbes would bring a personality Texas fans can latch on to and a high-effort system those fans can get behind, but the 57-year-old is credibly comfortable in Winston-Salem. Does he want to take on all of what Texas is?

And, well, Rodney Terry can make this a moot discussion by April.

In all, the last time it hired a men’s basketball coach, Texas surely figured it had covered any angle and checked every conceivable box. It found its answer. Less than two years later, it’s facing all the same questions — and a few more — all over again.

(Top photo of Texas’ Dillon Mitchell: Chris Covatta / Getty Images)

• Hook 'Em 1

I definitely like Musselman but I just can’t shake the feeling that Arkansas isn’t going to let him walk out the door. He’s also almost 60. Obviously he could probably go another 10 years if he wanted but it’s definitely something to consider.

Dennis Gates at Missouri is someone I’ll be following closely the rest of the year. First year and he’s already matched their win total from last year. Before that he took over a 10-21 Cleveland State program and had them in the NCAA tournament in 2 years. Spent a long time as an assistant at Florida State. Is young, energetic and his has an exciting brand of basketball. Jerome Tang is obviously kinda in a similar category except he’s much older, but he obviously was a huge part of those Baylor teams and has turned Kansas State around in no time.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

A two+ year old article about the best forty coaches under 40 y/o

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29157808/40-40-rank-best-young-coaches-men-college-basketball

Rick Pitino's  now 40 y/o son Richard made the list.

He's had down years since though.

I don't think I've ever seen him coach before.  

Jai Lucas was just on the outside of the "top 40" that ESPN made up.

Just missed: Kevin Kruger (UNLV assistant); Chris Ogden (UT-Arlington); Chris Caputo (Miami assistant); Matt Lottich (Valparaiso); Greg Paulus, (Niagara); Adam Cohen (Stanford assistant); Bashir Mason (Wagner); Jamal Brunt (VCU assistant); Chester Frazier (Virginia Tech assistant), Bruce Shingler (South Carolina assistant), Jai Lucas (Texas assistant), Brandin Knight (Rutgers assistant), Grant Billmeier (Seton Hall assistant), Brian "Penny" Collins (Tennessee State); Drew Valentine (Loyola Chicago assistant)

Could be someone to keep an eye on for the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jai_Lucas

Jai Lucas Texas Longhorns vs Navy Midshipmen November 2010.jpg

Edited by ATXbronco

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, fuck that. Coach Cal would be a dream hire considering the position we are in. he's also a damn good coach an insane career record of 777–243 (.762). we are in zero position to be talking down on a coach of his caliber.

If you want to win recruiting championships, go get Cal. If you want to win NCAA championships, he is on the same level as Guy Lewis and John Thompson because like them, he has done less with more.

I do not understand how people think Texas is going to hire Calipari. He's had two Final Fours vacated. Texas has never hired a head coach in any sport with past major NCAA violations. Calipari is not going to be the first. Not to mention he'll for sure take a paycut to leave Kentucky. Bruce Pearl has the same issue. 

Jerome Tang? Are you fucking kidding me? Guy might be an all world "whiz kid" at 54. Just needed his chance. But he's halfway through his first season. Abe Lemons, Bob Wetlich, Tom Penders, Rick Barnes, Shaka Smart, and Chris Beard all had AT LEAST 6 years of experience as a head coach before they took the Texas job. At least Tommy Lloyd is in his second year after a superb initial season.

I believe the only thing interest in Musselman results in is a big pay raise for him. 

I don't know who Texas is going to hire. The decision is 4 months away. I hope we're all stunned by the name. In a good way. But I simply cannot imagine it's going to be an assistant. Tommy Lloyd is the only short term head coach I think has a chance (and he might simply parlay it into getting a big pay raise from Arizona). 

One big thing I'm going to miss regardless is that Beard was the perfect combination of huckster and great coach. It's helpful for generating support from the Texas fan base if the fans are encouraged in various ways to attend games. That's not something a lot of coaches want to fool with. But it's a higher priority for me that whoever is the coach has the ability to implement fundamentally sound systems on both sides of the court. I don't really think there's a better package out there of both of those two qualities than Beard. So that part is going to be sacrificed, even if we get the right guy, which I hope we do. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

A two+ year old article about the best forty coaches under 40 y/o

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29157808/40-40-rank-best-young-coaches-men-college-basketball

Rick Pitino's  now 40 y/o son Richard made the list.

He's had down years since though.

I don't think I've ever seen him coach before.  

Hard no on Pitinos kid. He’s doing well at UNM now but he’s already shown he doesn’t have it at the top level 

1 minute ago, troph said:

Surely that can’t be true. 

Of course it’s not. CDC’s AD isn’t the leaky type. I highly doubt CDC has interviewed or offered anyone. Maybe some back channel gauging of interest via agents, but nothing else. It’s only been a couple days since we officially created a MBB HC vacancy 

i'm wondering if there's any way we can get Cronin to leave UCLA. as many of you will recall he was my first choice to replace shaka, back in shaka's second or third year here, and he's obviously been awesome since then. he also reminds me of Barnes, in that he's teams are always tough and physical, which i enjoy. he'll likely end up just being another guy who gets a raise be wise if this, but people need to add him to the "realistic" candidate list which includes musselman, lloyd, and oats. he'd be a much better hire than the names du jour right now, ie missouri's coach or jerome tang.

edit: if we hadn't just played/lost to k state then not a single person here would have mentioned tang. but we did just play/lose to his team, so now his name is all over this thread. let's try and do a little better folks. this board crushes rick barnes but then turns around like, "let's hire mccasland/tang/missou's hc to replace the best coach we've ever had! yeah! that's our standard!" come on.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm wondering if there's any way we can get Cronin to leave UCLA. as many of you will recall he was my first choice to replace shaka, back in shaka's second or third year here, and he's obviously been awesome since then. he also reminds me of Barnes, in that he's teams are always tough and physical, which i enjoy. he'll likely end up just being another guy who gets a raise be wise if this, but people need to add him to the "realistic" candidate list which includes musselman, lloyd, and oats. he'd be a much better hire than the names du jour right now, ie missouri's coach or jerome tang.

edit: if we hadn't just played/lost to k state then not a single person here would have mentioned tang. but we did just play/lose to his team, so now his name is all over this thread. let's try and do a little better folks. this board crushes rick barnes but then turns around like, "let's hire mccasland/tang/missou's hc to replace the best coach we've ever had! yeah! that's our standard!" come on.

Cronin makes 4.1m and UCLA can be a bit cheap. Granted they will soon have B1G money, so they may be able to commit to a raise. But we should def be reaching out to Mick. He did sign that extension that didn’t even give him more money  

And I agree with you on Tang. He has a 13 game resume so far. Let’s cool it before we declare him the next cant-miss guy, since we haven’t even seen him coach an NCAA tournament game yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton 

One thing I have been told by two people in the last 24 hours is Texas is going to be willing to pay above and beyond what the head football coach is making if it's the right basketball hire.

That is a very good sign before the search truly begins.

no offense gerry, but no shit. a)the basketball program has been in better shape than the football program for forever, this hire needs to be well above sark's level and pay grade, and b)we aren't going to be able to hire anyone even semi proven without splashing some major cash at them. so uh, in conclusion: duh.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

no offense gerry, but no shit. a)the basketball program has been in better shape than the football program for forever, this hire needs to be well above sark's level and pay grade, and b)we aren't going to be able to hire anyone even semi proven without splashing some major cash at them. so uh, in conclusion: duh.

I think his point is there are only 3 college basketball coaches right now who are making more than what the head football coach is scheduled to make next year (5.6 million). So he’s basically saying we are willing to pay top 3 money in the country for college basketball and more than what we paid Beard (5.2 mil).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/5/2023 at 6:04 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

The "Texas will never pay more for a basketball coach than a football coach" has always been fucking dumb. It completely disregards context. 

Sark will only make $5.4 million next season which isn't that much money in football terms. Do people actually fucking believe Texas wouldn't pony up 5.5 to 6 million if that's what it took to get one of the best coaches in the country in basketball? 

On 1/5/2023 at 5:53 PM, ztejas said:

If it's a money issue then fine. But it shouldn't be a money issue. 

If it isn't a money issue then thinking that Donovan or Wright are total non-options is silly. 

On 1/5/2023 at 5:57 PM, ztejas said:

Yes but Sark cares if the basketball coach makes more. And football pays the bills. 

On 1/5/2023 at 6:12 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Sark is WAY down the list in terms of salary among D1 football coaches.  He is not unaware of his lack of bargaining power.

Again, he can go find more somewhere else if it pisses him off that UT money-whips an established top-line basketball coach.  (And I like Sark, but come on.  He came here as an assistant trying to resurrect his career after he drank himself out of one the best jobs in football.  He has very little leverage, especially after 5-7 and 8-5.)

On 1/5/2023 at 8:06 PM, closetohumping said:

“Hey Chris, why you paying the basketball coach 8 mil?  Give me a raise or I’m gonna take my 13-12 record to…..to……:to”

“Let me you stop you there Sark. I’ll give you a raise as soon as you win ten games.”

On 1/5/2023 at 8:35 PM, ztejas said:

Jesus dude read the thread and/or continue missing the point. Some of you must roll your window down in traffic to let the car next to you know how much Sark sucks at his job. 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, closetohumping said:

Sark just needs some time fella.  Herman left him a shitty cake.  But I’m gonna guess cdc isn’t gonna ask for his permission to pay our next coach whatever he wants to.  But hey, get one of them fancy bowl wins and then sark can throw his fit.  If I were him I’d stfu and wait till I actually win something.   

Like most of our ranked opponents, cdc isn’t worried about sark for now

Fuck Sark if he thinks he’s earned the right to dictate what the basketball coach is paid.  We’ve made money with it without sark. Oh and there’s this:

Gerry H said we’re prepared to pay the basketball coach more than the great Sark

Edited by closetohumping

I like Joe Golding. He did amazingly well at ACU. He is also doing better at UTEP than Rodney Terry ever did. And he is 10 years younger.  At some point he is going to get a job at a major program. He is basically Chris Beard lite. He would be a risky hire for Texas though.

Under no circumstances should we hire Terry. That is the one thing I know for sure.

As I look at the best college coaches, there are very few young guys. That is one thing that sucks so bad about losing Beard. I don’t want a dude in his 60s winding out his career. I want a hungry coach in his 40s or early 50s who will be here a while.

That leaves us with: Mike Cronin (51), Chris Holtmann (51),  Tommy Lloyd (48), Royal Ivey (41)

Just now, HookEm said:

I like Joe Golding. He did amazingly well at ACU. He is also doing better at UTEP than Rodney Terry ever did. And he is 10 years younger.  At some point he is going to get a job at a major program. He is basically Chris Beard lite. He would be a risky hire for Texas though.

Under no circumstances should we hire Terry. That is the one thing I know for sure.

As I look at the best college coaches, there are very few young guys. That is one thing that sucks so bad about losing Beard. I don’t want a dude in his 60s winding out his career. I want a hungry coach in his 40s or early 50s who will be here a while.

That leaves us with: Mike Cronin (51), Chris Holtmann (51),  Tommy Lloyd (48), Royal Ivey (41)

Oats is 48, Wes Miller is 39, Otzelberger is 45, Enfield is 53, Bennett is 53, Sean Miller is 54

3 hours ago, DontCallMeShirley said:

Texas is set to offer Musselman 5.35M/yr supposedly

This is a lie. Texas isn’t offering anyone right now. CDC isn’t dumb. 

I’m not the banning mod around here (I’m the editing one 💁🏾‍♂️) but I’ll ban a mofo for shit like this.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Underdog said:

Only reason to hire Enfield is for his wife. 

And still a better option than Ivey. Not sure why his criteria only “leaves us” with those options, including a guy who hasn’t been a college coach 

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You think this proves Pearl can coach? 

He's had around top 20 talent and he's advanced to the Sweet 16 one time in now his 9th season at Auburn. 

That's a curious way of spinning Auburn's second elite eight and first final four in program history. Their program was so fucking awful from 2003-2014, the Wikipedia entry doesn't even list the two coaches who preceded Pearl.  "Pearl can't coach." LOL. Bizarre how married you are to this terrible take.

Edited by CurlyDumps