Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The drive from the Denver airport is a mess. That’s the biggest downside. Real estate is a direct reflection of the quality of living. You show me a place with cheap real estate and tell me how badly you want to live there. The food scene has improved over the last ten years as more people have moved here. 

I'd gladly move if wife would let me. She's a CU "fan" but really only cares about the Broncos.

25 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

#3 went to school there.  It's awesome,  early Austin 80s vibe.  Four points of warning:  1) the drive from Denver airport is like Houston construction bad, 2) Local mexican food is terrible,  3) real estate is pricey, and 4) their football team is the suck. 

I lived in the central part of Colorado when I was in high school and remember the food being so bad everywhere in Colorado.  The Mexican food was heavily influenced by Santa Fe style (failed in execution). There was some gimmick Mexican food place in Denver that was sort of like rain forest cafe but they had cliff divers and fire dancers performing like it was a luau. It was “the place” that everyone said to go to.  Casa Bonita or Blanca or something like that.  It’s been at least 30 years. 
this South Texan was unimpressed

Edited by Teamdirtyleg

1 minute ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

There was some gimmick Mexican food place in Denver that was sort of like rain forest cafe but they had cliff divers and fire dancers performing like it was a luau.  Casa Bonita or Blanca or something like that.  It’s been at least 30 years

Know how I know you don't watch South Park?

casabonitasouthpark.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

I lived in the central part of Colorado when I was in high school and remember the food being so bad everywhere in Colorado.  The Mexican food was heavily influenced by Santa Fe style. There was some gimmick Mexican food place in Denver that was sort of like rain forest cafe but they had cliff divers and fire dancers performing like it was a luau.  Casa Bonita or Blanca or something like that.  It’s been at least 30 years

That's awful. Santa Fe anything, especially their cuisine, sucks ass. They'll never admit it and fight you tooth and nail proclaiming how great they are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

I lived in the central part of Colorado when I was in high school and remember the food being so bad everywhere in Colorado.  The Mexican food was heavily influenced by Santa Fe style. There was some gimmick Mexican food place in Denver that was sort of like rain forest cafe but they had cliff divers and fire dancers performing like it was a luau. It was “the place” that everyone said to go to.  Casa Bonita or Blanca or something like that.  It’s been at least 30 years. 

Grew up in the valley myself.  The roundup in Pharr was the first mexican food restaurant I remember going to - makes good mexican food hard to find.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

I lived in the central part of Colorado when I was in high school and remember the food being so bad everywhere in Colorado.  The Mexican food was heavily influenced by Santa Fe style (failed in execution). There was some gimmick Mexican food place in Denver that was sort of like rain forest cafe but they had cliff divers and fire dancers performing like it was a luau. It was “the place” that everyone said to go to.  Casa Bonita or Blanca or something like that.  It’s been at least 30 years. 

That places food sucks.   It’s the restaurant that cartman and company goto in South Park. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

Didn’t know there were so many peeps willing to leave Texas here

I LOVE Texas. But, my allergies and my asthma don’t feel the same way….

I’m not going to move out of Texas, but I’m definitely whittling down my options on where to purchase 10-50 acres in Colorado so I can build an escape in the next 10 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s pretty funny.  Hopefully they can import a couple Mexican ladies from south of I-10 to teach them how to do it right

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There's a whole episode about it named Casa Bonita, and the creators just bought it: https://www.westword.com/news/south-park-casa-bonita-sale-agreement-3-million-12440327

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

I LOVE Texas. But, my allergies and my asthma don’t feel the same way….

I’m not going to move out of Texas, but I’m definitely whittling down my options on where to purchase 10-50 acres in Colorado so I can build an escape in the next 10 years. 

I already tried Colorado, as a kid.  I moved back to Texas as soon as I could.  I love Colorado but I just hate being that kind of cold.  But I lived up in the mountains when I was there.  Snow cover for 6-7 months of the year.  Nope

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Put some fucking RESPECT on Casa Bonita's name. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Bear Alexander has bust written all over him. I'd prefer to watch him go anywhere else and transfer out within two semesters.

Exactly, would rather be his third spot than his first. Jordan Elliot at Mizzou>>>Jordan Elliott at Texas

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

Texas is a state of mind. Geography wise, the hill country is nice. However, the rest of the state is a barren wasteland. The coast is nice until you live there with 95% humidity and realize it sucks 9 months out of the year.

If you travel and see much of the US, you realize other than the state of mind, there's not much appealing to Texas. I'm moving to the mountains out west somewhere. I'm old enough that blind homerism isn't enough to keep me living someplace when I KNOW there are tons of other places which are MUCH nicer. I don't care what state is on my address. I care about being somewhere where I can enjoy outside activities and scenery.

This is partly why we just moved to the southern Appalachians an hour north of Atlanta after fighting the 'burbs there for nearly 40 years. Could have returned to my home turf in the Hill Country, but it's still there whenever we get a chance to visit. Day in and day out, the mountains are just hard to beat...especially where heavy winter weather is rare.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Texas is a state of mind. Geography wise, the hill country is nice. However, the rest of the state is a barren wasteland. The coast is nice until you live there with 95% humidity and realize it sucks 9 months out of the year.

If you travel and see much of the US, you realize other than the state of mind, there's not much appealing to Texas. I'm moving to the mountains out west somewhere. I'm old enough that blind homerism isn't enough to keep me living someplace when I KNOW there are tons of other places which are MUCH nicer. I don't care what state is on my address. I care about being somewhere where I can enjoy outside activities and scenery.

Well, I happen to love the South Texas brush country, the hill country, the west Texas desert, coastal humidity, hot summers.  BUT, I do know what you mean.  The older I get the more open I am to moving to a more beautiful place.  Preferably the Caribbean.  

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

This is partly why we just moved to the southern Appalachians an hour north of Atlanta after fighting the 'burbs there for nearly 40 years. Could have returned to my home turf in the Hill Country, but it's still there whenever we get a chance to visit. Day in and day out, the mountains are just hard to beat...especially where heavy winter weather is rare.  

The mountains can fuck right the fuck off. I live in PA coal country mountains and I absolutely fucking hate it here. I would gladly sell one of my testicles on the black market to be able to move back to the gulf coast of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I actually spoke with my opthalmologist about it, and she just shook her head and explained: Light mode isn't better for me because of astigmatism. Light mode is better for everyone, except for low-light conditions.

But some people love their dark mode dearly, so I just use that as my excuse.

(That said, I really do have trouble reading light text on a dark background.)

For me, it just really is easier to read stuff. Maybe it's the white words that make it easier, I dunno. But I do love dale mode dearly haha. I have it on reddit, and just about everywhere else. 

15 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

The mountains can fuck right the fuck off. I live in PA coal country mountains and I absolutely fucking hate it here. I would gladly sell one of my testicles on the black market to be able to move back to the gulf coast of Texas.

jesus. even most locals who can leave do so. What brought you to PA coal country?

Only a few places are doing well or holding steady and steadily growing (the Texas style growth boom happened in PA a long time ago already); Philly area, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg area, and Lehigh Valley (partly due to closeness to NYC, and also of course due to the lovely Poconos). PA has tons of small towns and most of those are slowly leaking population, just like I imagine it being the case in NYS, Ohio, etc.

Mid-atlantic is nice but gulf coast Texas isn't for me after living there for 15 years. I do miss the tax-free state, and more libertarian attitude. PA is a mire of ugly politics, especially in the cities.

Edited by PHLaggie
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

If North Georgia got the snow you guys do, I'd sell both of mine to get out. But whereas much of PA gets 30-50" of snow annually, here we get 2-3". And we get nearly the same amount of sunshine annually as Austin. But your mileage may vary. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

12 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

jesus. even most locals who can leave do so. What brought you to PA coal country?

Only a few places are doing well or holding steady and steadily growing (the Texas style growth boom happened in PA a long time ago already); Philly area, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg area, and Lehigh Valley (partly due to closeness to NYC, and also of course due to the lovely Poconos). PA has tons of small towns and most of those are slowly leaking population, just like I imagine it being the case in NYS, Ohio, etc.

Mid-atlantic is nice but gulf coast Texas isn't for me after living there for 15 years. I do miss the tax-free state, and more libertarian attitude. PA is a mire of ugly politics, especially in the cities.

I was here for work and decided I wanted to be a fucking regard and marry a local. Long story short, the bitch cheated on me with my son's scout master, we got divorced, and I'm stuck here at least until my 8 yr old turns 18. 

At least the scenery is nice this time of year. 

Edited by Lou_Sassle
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

23 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

Excuse me sir, this is the geography thread. Geology is for nerds. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lou_Sassle said:

I was here for work and decided I wanted to be a fucking regard and marry a local. Long story short, the bitch cheated on me with my son's scout master, we got divorced, and I'm stuck here at least until my 8 yr old turns 18. 

Damn. Who’d a thought scout master swinging the pipe. 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

In regards to Brooks and Kerry Coombs staying at tOSU, Coombs was relieved of play calling responsibility a few weeks ago.  Wonder if he sticks around when the season is over?

Nice try posting something recruiting related. Now back to geography..

26 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

Comparing PA mountains to the Rockies is like comparing Galveston to the Bahamas or Rosie O'donnell to Drew Barrymore

39 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

43 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I've lived in several places, but I'll always consider Texas home.  zbut honestly it's too hot, not super attractive and other than UT football, kind of boring.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

There is a Chuys here now about two exits up from my house. Torchy's is also here now. 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I've lived in several places, but I'll always consider Texas home.  zbut honestly it's too hot, not super attractive and other than UT football, kind of boring.

I'm active. I love being outside, doing stuff outside. I gravitate to cities/areas which support being outside. When I visit these areas, the biggest thing that stands out is the weather, the second biggest thing that stands out is that the people living in these areas are not fat as fuck. Texans are obese as fuck. The two go hand in hand. 

Rockies:

snowboard, ski, cross country ski, hiking in the winter;

hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, fly fish, camping in the summer. 

winter and summer: enjoy the fuck out of the scenery

year round fun. that's the lifestyle that i want to live.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting