Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

So.. since we have failed so miserably .. on average.. in our HC evals related to culture, although I liked Strong's culture more than Herman's.. Can the AD drive this? Can CDC drive down culture, specifically in football. 

Meant to add, I agree with what you said 100% from a change org perspective

Having dealt with CDC and knowing others who have done so on many occasions, we do not want that dude doing anything remotely close to trying to drive culture change in the football program.

He's actually had a pretty sustainable approach looking back at his time at TCU and results outside of football now at UT, as an AD. His approach is to focus on what he's great at, which is raising money and building projects, and let the right other folks get their work done running specific programs within the AD and holding them accountable. He, and his puppet masters when it came to the football hire, failed to harpoon the whale and then settled for a shitty alternative. CDC didn't help matters by being defensive and territorial in conversations with UM and about UM. That doesn't mean he's overall bad AD because he clearly isn't.

So, you can see where CDC's approach and style has its flaws - get the wrong guy or girl in to do their jobs and everyone is exposed to it. You can see it with FB and NIL. If he's able to recognize such matters and address them swiftly, he'll be fine. I don't see that happening here since Sarkisian will be here through 2024 and CDC is almost certainly myopic about NIL since it is a direct threat (in his mind), to what he's great at doing. I think we're fucked as a result on NIL until something cataclysmic occurs that cannot be ignored and leads a corporate version of a psychological break for the guy.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think the culture shift needs to happen above the coaching level and within the AD.  Too many dinosaurs collecting pay checks

See my thoughts above. Sustainable success exists or is being built throughout numerous other programs within the UT AD. "The Top" in this discussion is the HC, OC, DC triumvirate for the football program, at Texas or anywhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I was betting I’d imagine CDC won’t be replaced unless both Bears and Sark fail

And one of those two definitely won’t “fail” in regards to the relative history of his sport at Texas. Nonetheless, if football continues to perpetually underperform and Texas has to hire a coach every three to five years, CDC won’t survive. 

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

And one of those two definitely won’t “fail” in regards to the relative history of his sport at Texas. Nonetheless, if football continues to perpetually underperform and Texas has to hire a coach every three to five years, CDC won’t survive. 

Maybe, but I am very skeptical that Crystal is going to be judged through the prism of the football hire. He and the rest of the group involved with the process know fully well that he didn't drive the bus on that. He certainly didn't help with Meyer and there is supposedly some residual irritation there, but that's about it. 

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe, but I am very skeptical that Crystal is going to be judged through the prism of the football hire. He and the rest of the group involved with the process know fully well that he didn't drive the bus on that. He certainly didn't help with Meyer and there is supposedly some residual irritation there, but that's about it. 

It all cratered with Urbs when CDC said "Ok you can have full control, but any finger fucking coeds or the help and you are out."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

James Franklin come on down

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Can you dipshits stop giving some random imbecile, with no supporting track record meriting even a fucking mention of the subject matter here, any further power by discussing it in this thread? Take that kind of idiocy to the fucking Purgatory or Board Discussion boards and play with that stupidity out of the way from the rest of us. Jesus fucking Christ.

You seem mad 

47 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

having played college football I can tell you that culture is ll about the guys in the lockerroom holding each other accountable. when you work hard and overcome adversity in the offseason, winning becomes the expectation and something that can be repeated over and over agin once you know what it takes and what it looks like. We fought each other often because the desire to win made us give everything in practice to the point tat the games were kinda easy

Thanks for some common sense. I had a couple of teammates that would get in your face if they didn't think you were giving 100%.

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not being antagonizing when I ask "how do you think culture works?" 

I actually think it is a recruiting board worthy thread discussion unto itself and I am betting there will be a lot of opinions.

To answer part of my own question, I can say that positive culture changes (changes that lead to statistically better outcomes in the measurables) in organizations that are sustainable only happen at the top. Doesn't have to only be the CEO/HC/President/Religious Figurehead of an org, but it has to be him/her and their immediate reports. An immediate report can be the key driver if the main person can handle them. 

Conversely, negative culture changes (changes that can be traced to preceding statistically worse outcomes in the measurables) in organizations can happen at any level, at any time. They're almost always sustainable until regime change. 

There are almost zero case studies or white papers tracking proof of the Hollywood narrative of positive and sustained grass roots level or middle manager level changes within an org. There are plenty of instances in which there can be positive changes in an org driven at any level, but they will not last if not adopted genuinely and then institutionalized throughout the org from the top down.

At Texas or any other CFB program, given the transient nature of players in CFB, no sustainable culture change will ever be created by a player or players. So you need a transformative HC, DC or OC and they need a long term vision for the org that they can execute on and get enough wins quickly to gain buy-in and that could be sustained for a decade+. That doesn't mean a few badasses can't drive a program to a few successful seasons in spite of weakness at the top, but those performances will be ephemeral in nature.

Culture shifts aren't sudden, and you don't really want them to be.

The HC and support staff have to be aligned in how they go about creating the program atmosphere, reinforcing positive behaviors and punishing negative ones, etc. 

It is also up to the staff to bring in and keep the right kind of people, and get rid of the ones who are threats to said culture. Over time, it reinforces and maintains itself. Along with players being able to hold each other accountable without too much conflict. Having a bunch of 18 year olds come in acting like the upperclassmen are trash is a recipe for failure that we've already seen a few times recently.

Right now, it feels like there is an every man for himself culture where people don't trust those around them to do what they should be doing

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

I would not push out CDC for Luck but rather bring him on as a football only AD type of role or something along those lines. He teamed up with Urban Meyer to consult programs (Texas and LSU notably) on NIL and has worked for the NCAA so he knows how to navigate those waters. Then if CDC fails then our replacement is only a few feet away

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/oliver-luck-urban-meyer-join-forces-to-work-on-nil-rights/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

So.. since we have failed so miserably .. on average.. in our HC evals related to culture, although I liked Strong's culture more than Herman's.. Can the AD drive this? Can CDC drive down culture, specifically in football. 

Meant to add, I agree with what you said 100% from a change org perspective

Of course CDC could- the position of the AD is the top of the org chart and on some level everything that happens in any of his sports happens b/c he allows it.  Will he?  Doesn't sound like it from what people that I would expect to know say.  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Can you dipshits stop giving some random imbecile, with no supporting track record meriting even a fucking mention of the subject matter here, any further power by discussing it in this thread? Take that kind of idiocy to the fucking Purgatory or Board Discussion boards and play with that stupidity out of the way from the rest of us. Jesus fucking Christ.

You left out tittyfucking

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Say what you want about strongs recruits, they weren't a bunch of pussy ass bitches. They sucked and didn't want to be shitters, they weren't pussies and got into it quite a bit with the other teams. 

^^^ bunch of mean mother fuckers in the NFL and people who weren't soft from Strong into the herman years. 

Yep. And if you look at how LSU came over and drank our water and our team just sat there like the gaping pussies they are, that sums up Herman recruiting. 

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Whomever recorded that shit and leaked it needs to be in the same Uhaul that Josh Moore leaves town in.

I hope they figure it out and process him out quickly. This might be my favorite thing about the program in a while. Accountability is missing and it hasn’t changed in the previous two staffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course the coaches yell at the kids. They just don't do it in public in front of the media. Please stop this nonsense.

Also this. I think everyone’s excited to see someone, anyone associated with this program show some emotional investment. But pretty much anyone who’s ever played organized football has heard that exact bit from a coach after a bad loss.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

I run an opera program at a state school in the Midwest. That might not seem applicable to some of you, but I spend my time training collegiate-aged people to repeat physical actions in varying environments in a competitive program with individual winners and losers.

When I started I had to kick some people out and do a bunch of yelling to get people on board with my expectations. Now I have to yell at them about once a year and do some light weeding, but in general the accountability is held by the singers to one another. This is vastly superior, both in culture and in collective outcomes. It did take a few years to get my expectations across. So, for me working with college students, the accountability must come from the top, but a good student leader far more valuable than my individual actions, and creating those leaders is the best thing I can do for the program. 

This was exactly what my post about Bo Davis bringing in dogs was about. I understand that Hartzell, eltife, cdc etc need to push perfection and excellency, hard work and results but if you don’t have the mean, tough players shitting on the weak ones when the coaches aren’t there to watch then none of what Sark says will ever matter. It’s ridiculous that Bo had to tell them to stop laughing about the 4th dumpster fire abortion of a game they lost. After Alabama lost to aggy if somebody laughed an upperclassman DL/OL probably stuck their foot in that kids ass. The coaches at bama and Georgia spend their time coaching and recruiting now. Their upper class leaders handle the culture. I only say any of this because foster, Moore, coburn…and whoever else Bo was screaming at are not kids you can have in the locker room if you want to even attempt to develop a better culture. Sark has been swimming up river thanks to herman. I’m not saying poor sark by any means, just that this rebuild is going to be a long, brutal process. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Also this. I think everyone’s excited to see someone, anyone associated with this program show some emotional investment. But pretty much anyone who’s ever played organized football has heard that exact bit from a coach after a bad loss.

I can assure you that it isn't just football.😁 and it could be anytime including practice.

35 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Whomever recorded that shit and leaked it needs to be in the same Uhaul that Josh Moore leaves town in.

I'm not sure what makes you think it wasn't Josh Moore. 

But I'll play it the other way too. What makes you think it wasn't a Freshman sick of losing and sicker of watching everyone ahead of him who doesn't give a fuck laugh and joke about losing, and thought "Let the world hear these guys get their ass chewed."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure what makes you think it wasn't Josh Moore. 

But I'll play it the other way too. What makes you think it wasn't a Freshman sick of losing and sicker of watching everyone ahead of him who doesn't give a fuck laugh and joke about losing, and thought "Let the world hear these guys get their ass chewed."

I am not as interested in finding out who released it because there are too many ways to interpret it. Just pleased to see Bo pissed and essentially telling these soft fucks to transfer out.

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Dumpster Fire Notes 2022 - Help Us, Bo Davis. You're Our Only Hope.
  • closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting