Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm hoping Sark isn't a total regard and actually kills it in the portal. We need dudes immediately. We absolutely cannot have another o-line like we did this season and expect anyone to come here. 

Also want to add he needs to stop with the Ben Davis kind of scrubs. Ovie was ok, but again he's pretty JAG-y. 

I mean the season was bad and our recruiting has been meh.  What makes you think that our portal efforts will be anything remotely close to killing it?

4 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

I mean the season was bad and our recruiting has been meh.  What makes you think that our portal efforts will be anything remotely close to killing it?

Let’s revisit this assumption in a week. Could turn out to be right but we have an opportunity for a huge finish. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

We might not be all that this year however, there is an exceptionally high amount of coaching turnover at high end programs and the free portal transfer is pretty new.

It's just seems like there should be more opportunity than most years and we should have a decent chance to benefit from that.

Also, Sark and staff did not have much time to work on the portal last year.  This year they will have quite a bit of time.  Might help.

• Hook 'Em 1

5-star OT Kelvin Banks updates the recruiting process after Oregon decommitment

Brian Perroni

Spoiler

Brian Perroni

HOUSTON - Humble (Texas) Summer Creek five-star offensive tackle Kelvin Banks surprised some people when he committed to Oregon this past July. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound prospect had been looking at in-state Texas and Texas A&M, in addition to LSU and Oklahoma State, but chose to pledge to a program much farther away.

However, with head coach Mario Cristobal leaving Oregon for Miami earlier this week, Banks decided to open his recruiting process up again. It was not something he says he planned to do before that.

“I was 100-percent locked in. I had no change in my mind that I was going to go to Oregon and do my job and get me degree and all that,” Banks said at the Touchdown Club of Houston banquet on Wednesday evening. “But when it came to that last day with the (Miami) job, I was like, ‘He’s going to take it.’ And I don’t blame him. He’s doing what’s best for his family, just like in recruitment like I have to do for myself.”

While the nation’s No. 15 overall prospect had been planning to ink during next week’s Early Signing Period, he says the plan now is to wait until the traditional National Signing Day on Feb. 2.

“I’ll wait until February,” he said.

Banks is now giving schools an opportunity to recruit him all over again. Though still committed at the time, he took recent unofficial visits to both A&M and Texas for games and has some others in contention as well.

“I would say the four schools that I had before I committed to Oregon – Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M and LSU – and then Bama is getting back on my trail, Clemson’s coming in hot and Michigan is talking to me as well,” Banks said.

“I’ll try to get to some of the schools I’m interested in once I figure out which ones I want to weed out and which ones I want to weave back in,” he added about unofficial visits in January. “I will get to at least, I’ll say two to three, before I make a decision.”

Banks is hosting coaches from several of those schools this week before the dead period begins on Sunday night. As for head coaches, Cristobal got the first shot on Wednesday and Steve Sarkisian of Texas will do so later this week. Texas A&M is choosing to wait until January for Jimbo Fisher to use his one allotted head coach visit.

“I have him after this event right here,” Banks said of an in-home with Cristobal on Wednesday. “It will be [weird] seeing him come in with that UM on his chest but, you know, it doesn’t change the person.”

“I believe I’ll have Texas Friday with Sark,” he added, before saying that Fisher would be by in January.

Though there will be multiple factors he considers when he makes his decision, Banks says one stands out, for obvious reasons.

“Just me knowing that the coach is going to be stable at his position at that school,” he said.

As for Texas A&M, offensive line coach Josh Henson visited Banks on Wednesday and the offensive tackle has taken notice of what the Aggies are doing on the recruiting trail.

“They’ve been getting some guys,” he said. “They’ve been getting some real good guys, especially on the d-line. And Iron sharpens iron.”

“Henson came to the school [Wednesday] and I talked to him,” Banks added. “That staff is awesome and he’s a great coach and knows what he’s talking about.”

Banks also likes what he has seen from Texas as of late, too.

“They’re building a great class,” he said of the Longhorns. “I feel like they’re setting the tone with the ‘All Gas, No Brakes’ thing, making sure everybody gets it and build that class up to rebuild Texas as a whole to bring a national championship back.

“It doesn’t matter what your record is. My sophomore and junior year of high school, we (had) a losing record. And then we went and turned it around my senior year.”

Banks says he plans to stay home during the final weekend before the dead period begins as he is getting used to the recruiting process all over again.

I’m excited but I’m not excited at the same time. It’s just getting back to rebuilding relationships.

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Brian Perroni

Hide contents

Brian Perroni

HOUSTON - Humble (Texas) Summer Creek five-star offensive tackle Kelvin Banks surprised some people when he committed to Oregon this past July. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound prospect had been looking at in-state Texas and Texas A&M, in addition to LSU and Oklahoma State, but chose to pledge to a program much farther away.

However, with head coach Mario Cristobal leaving Oregon for Miami earlier this week, Banks decided to open his recruiting process up again. It was not something he says he planned to do before that.

“I was 100-percent locked in. I had no change in my mind that I was going to go to Oregon and do my job and get me degree and all that,” Banks said at the Touchdown Club of Houston banquet on Wednesday evening. “But when it came to that last day with the (Miami) job, I was like, ‘He’s going to take it.’ And I don’t blame him. He’s doing what’s best for his family, just like in recruitment like I have to do for myself.”

While the nation’s No. 15 overall prospect had been planning to ink during next week’s Early Signing Period, he says the plan now is to wait until the traditional National Signing Day on Feb. 2.

“I’ll wait until February,” he said.

Banks is now giving schools an opportunity to recruit him all over again. Though still committed at the time, he took recent unofficial visits to both A&M and Texas for games and has some others in contention as well.

“I would say the four schools that I had before I committed to Oregon – Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M and LSU – and then Bama is getting back on my trail, Clemson’s coming in hot and Michigan is talking to me as well,” Banks said.

“I’ll try to get to some of the schools I’m interested in once I figure out which ones I want to weed out and which ones I want to weave back in,” he added about unofficial visits in January. “I will get to at least, I’ll say two to three, before I make a decision.”

Banks is hosting coaches from several of those schools this week before the dead period begins on Sunday night. As for head coaches, Cristobal got the first shot on Wednesday and Steve Sarkisian of Texas will do so later this week. Texas A&M is choosing to wait until January for Jimbo Fisher to use his one allotted head coach visit.

“I have him after this event right here,” Banks said of an in-home with Cristobal on Wednesday. “It will be [weird] seeing him come in with that UM on his chest but, you know, it doesn’t change the person.”

“I believe I’ll have Texas Friday with Sark,” he added, before saying that Fisher would be by in January.

Though there will be multiple factors he considers when he makes his decision, Banks says one stands out, for obvious reasons.

“Just me knowing that the coach is going to be stable at his position at that school,” he said.

As for Texas A&M, offensive line coach Josh Henson visited Banks on Wednesday and the offensive tackle has taken notice of what the Aggies are doing on the recruiting trail.

“They’ve been getting some guys,” he said. “They’ve been getting some real good guys, especially on the d-line. And Iron sharpens iron.”

“Henson came to the school [Wednesday] and I talked to him,” Banks added. “That staff is awesome and he’s a great coach and knows what he’s talking about.”

Banks also likes what he has seen from Texas as of late, too.

“They’re building a great class,” he said of the Longhorns. “I feel like they’re setting the tone with the ‘All Gas, No Brakes’ thing, making sure everybody gets it and build that class up to rebuild Texas as a whole to bring a national championship back.

“It doesn’t matter what your record is. My sophomore and junior year of high school, we (had) a losing record. And then we went and turned it around my senior year.”

Banks says he plans to stay home during the final weekend before the dead period begins as he is getting used to the recruiting process all over again.

I’m excited but I’m not excited at the same time. It’s just getting back to rebuilding relationships.

Banks publicly stating he's going to wait until February, and Sark not re-scheduling his in-home is a huge fucking mistake. I have no faith in this dude to close at all, and he's pulling this shit. This is rookie shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Banks publicly stating he's going to wait until February, and Sark not re-scheduling his in-home is a huge fucking mistake. I have no faith in this dude to close at all, and he's pulling this shit. This is rookie shit. 

maybe he'll fuck around and get him to sign next week?

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

I mean shit, if these under the table tax-free numbers are true for guys like Stewart, this could start getting the attention of the freaking IRS. A&M has probably dished out $1mm+ of untaxed payments this cycle alone. 

I've thought for years that Texas should hire investigators and turn shit over to the IRS.  How hard is it to find an uncle who had a team back out on him and go with a better option?

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Even if Ewers drama wasn’t a thing … shouldn’t we be closing some recruits and portal additions by now?  I’m starting to get antsy based on Sark’s history of fucking around.  If $10,000,000 initial NIL endowments and $150,000 salaries for players can’t close down some recruitments with a quickness, then this guy is hopeless beyond all belief.  

1) The general thought is that much of the most talented players might not enter the portal until after their bowl games. Since I'm not naive and think there's plenty of back channel communication that happens, we might be waiting for our primary targets.
2) You and other folks need to understand that the 100k from CFC was stated as a "goal" and not a guaranteed pledge. They're going to try and do it, but lets not assume it's just a "given." And even if it were, the only folks who would get a 150k salary would be OL. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Creasy Bear said:

Mostly hope, nothing else. We landed Worthy (miracle, I know), but I'm really, really, really trying to give Sark the benefit of the doubt even though I still hate the hire. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t personally believe Sarkisian deserves the benefit of the doubt about anything at this point. Anyone here or elsewhere is justified in being concerned until the guy and his staff show us that they can turn a corner and close some of these players. 

That said, at least the wait is basically over. By Wednesday, we’re going to know whether or not this regime is an absolute clown fire or just a tire fire on Saturdays in the fall. I’ll be in Paris on Wednesday and it’s Wednesday earlier there, so I’ll be letting this board know whether to shit itself or beat its chest in glee from the future. You’re all welcome. Here’s to everything magically working out. 

If you were really committed to the cause you would bring some of our high profile 2022 targets to Paris with you to advertise your business internationally (totally legit NIL use) and so they could sign before our competitors wake up and realize what's happened. 7am in Paris is midnight here, so there's the plan. Up to you to execute.

p.s. Yes I know it's not legit NIL before they enroll, don't ruin my plan

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm hoping Sark isn't a total regard and actually kills it in the portal. We need dudes immediately. We absolutely cannot have another o-line like we did this season and expect anyone to come here. 

Also want to add he needs to stop with the Ben Davis kind of scrubs. Ovie was ok, but again he's pretty JAG-y. 

Assuming the 33-counter number is accurate and my understanding is correct that those 33 counters can all be used on HS recruits, I think we need to pump the brakes on how much the portal is going to be used this cycle. Looks like Sark is really trying to rebuild the team/culture the right way, and that means bringing in HS recruits and developing them. It's also clear that Sark is going to keep powder dry to shoot his shot with 5-stars and address the OL, which means he will mostly wait on transfers until NSD1 and NSD2 are over. 

We're at 21 counters right now. From the offers that are out and how the staff is pushing guys, it looks like the staff is going to address depth needs with HS recruits. That likely means they'll take an additional S (LTG), RB/APB (Red), and CB (Brice or Harris). That's 24. 

OL depth is going to be addressed through HS recruits. We absolutely need more HS OL. They're going to take 4 more OL at least. That's 28. 

The only portal guys I'd pencil in to that right now are QB (Ewers) and OL (Dunlap). Takes us to 30. 

Of the remaining 3 spots, I guarantee Sark will reserve spots until NSD2 for any 5-star or any OL left on the board.  Banks, Campbell, Cam Williams will all have spots saved. So will any of Perkins, Law, Dewberry, Greene, Stewart, should they magically want in the class. 

Just with how the board currently looks, I could see a scenario where QB (Ewers) and OL (Dunlap) are our only transfers. I think we max out at 5 transfers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Seriously. Dude was looking for months like he had the joie de vivre and mental wellbeing of a Lovecraft protagonist.

Now this is some Surly-Worthy verbal masturbation.

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

I haven't watched Lovecraft Country tbh. Shadow over Innsmouth is an incredibly fun little read, though.

Shame none of the rest of his works are nearly as good. They're good, but not this good.

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tor is cash car and one yard 

spacer.png

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Cash Car told me to delete his account and I asked him if he wanted me to hide or delete hide meant come back later delete is permanent.

He responded "Fuck this place, delete" 

wellbye.gif

Follow up question - What happened with Dr. Beeper's posts?

22 minutes ago, Askew said:

Assuming the 33-counter number is accurate and my understanding is correct that those 33 counters can all be used on HS recruits, I think we need to pump the brakes on how much the portal is going to be used this cycle. Looks like Sark is really trying to rebuild the team/culture the right way, and that means bringing in HS recruits and developing them. It's also clear that Sark is going to keep powder dry to shoot his shot with 5-stars and address the OL, which means he will mostly wait on transfers until NSD1 and NSD2 are over. 

We're at 21 counters right now. From the offers that are out and how the staff is pushing guys, it looks like the staff is going to address depth needs with HS recruits. That likely means they'll take an additional S (LTG), RB/APB (Red), and CB (Brice or Harris). That's 24. 

OL depth is going to be addressed through HS recruits. We absolutely need more HS OL. They're going to take 4 more OL at least. That's 28. 

The only portal guys I'd pencil in to that right now are QB (Ewers) and OL (Dunlap). Takes us to 30. 

Of the remaining 3 spots, I guarantee Sark will reserve spots until NSD2 for any 5-star or any OL left on the board.  Banks, Campbell, Cam Williams will all have spots saved. So will any of Perkins, Law, Dewberry, Greene, Stewart, should they magically want in the class. 

Just with how the board currently looks, I could see a scenario where QB (Ewers) and OL (Dunlap) are our only transfers. I think we max out at 5 transfers. 

Ok, no. They've been telling anyone who will listen that they're going to have to fix this thing by breaking it down to the studs and roots and then building it back up. That started becoming mantra after the 4th or 5th buttfucking in a row. That wasn't the song and dance heading into the OU game or the summer. 

How they're planning on doing it involved a heavy dose of the transfer portal. They're probably doing something stupid and naive by not letting several guys from the portal announce already. If they fuck up the Minnesota lineman because they think they're taking their 4 top targets at OL plus the 2 committed, they've learned nothing over the past 10+ months and that's ... par for the course, I guess.

The 33 is recruits and transfers. They'll go over that number anyway if they can. Stop worrying about the numbers. They'll always make them make sense and NIL only improves that for every school.

If you think Texas winds up with only two transfers, you need to get your shit together, seek some help, and rejoin us later when you've rejoined the real world. 

If you're interested, I'll bet you whatever you want to bet that Texas will take 6 or more transfers this cycle by the transfer deadline, and you can have 5 or less. 

• Hook 'Em 6

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll be in Paris on Wednesday and it’s Wednesday earlier there, so I’ll be letting this board know whether to shit itself or beat its chest in glee from the future. You’re all welcome. Here’s to everything magically working out. 

Good talk, Russ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

Cash Car told me to delete his account and I asked him if he wanted me to hide or delete hide meant come back later delete is permanent.

He responded "Fuck this place, delete" 

wellbye.gif

Did he give you the secret aggie handshake you both learned at Fish Camp?

How they're planning on doing it involved a heavy dose of the transfer portal. They're probably doing something stupid and naive by not letting several guys from the portal announce already. If they fuck up the Minnesota lineman because they think they're taking their 4 top targets at OL plus the 2 committed, they've learned nothing over the past 10+ months and that's ... par for the course, I guess.

ThirdDirtyChimneyswift-max-1mb.gif

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting